Page 24 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Gotta run with Poulin right now. In his last 6 starts, Nabby has given up 25 goals and an 87% save percentage. Dude should not be in the league with numbers like that. It the same sh!t all over again. We cant win face-offs, we can't kill penalties and our goalie has not come up with a big stop all season. And all of this has been while playing a soft schedule.

Cappy and Nabby have both gotta go.
    This is the most frustrating part and sometimes gets overlooked. This has been a cupcake schedule so far.

I also don't understand how our PK does not engage their players until AFTER they cross the red line. Not only are Cappys line-ups baffling too say the least but his choices for our special teams are even worse. How is that even possible?
    Last edited by RobR; 11-09-2013 at 09:54 PM.

All League
    Still only 3 regulation wins on the season -- through 17 games.
    That is BAD.

Garth fvcked up big time getting rid of Mouslon. Isles need to fire pucks at the net and have someone there to clean up. That guy was MM. Nobody does it now. Bunch of oretty boys looking for the perfect pass and shot. News flash, these guys ain't pretty. They ain't no penguins.

That trade sure shook the team up. For the worse.

Veteran
    Still only 3 regulation wins on the season -- through 17 games.
    Ouch. I knew it was bad but that stat really hit me in the gut.

All League
    On the bright side, Nappy scored a goal tonight.

Kicked it in his own net, but still.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    On the bright side, Nappy scored a goal tonight.

Kicked it in his own net, but still.
    Something to build on. Maybe he will get 2 next time out.

All Pro
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 21m
    Capuano: "They've got to figure it out. We're not talking systems and structure here, we're talking battles. We're losing battles."

Anyone else read this as if Cappy is throwing his players under the bus -- it is their fault, not mine.

Veteran
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 21m
    Capuano: "They've got to figure it out. We're not talking systems and structure here, we're talking battles. We're losing battles."

Anyone else read this as if Cappy is throwing his players under the bus -- it is their fault, not mine.
    It's his modus operandi. He is the king of deflection and we are stuck with him. If anything, he is finally admitting his deficiencies and his asinine player personnel moves if you read between the lines.

I've mentioned it before ....but I just wish we could hit the fast forward button. And when I stop it, Cappy is gone.

All Pro
    I thought maybe when I woke up this AM, I would have chilled out a bit after yesterday's loss. Nope, didn't happen. This morning's rant is not directed at Nabby for a change, nor is it directed at Cappy. It is directed at none other than our captain, the leader of this team, our superstar, Conn Smythe finalist from last season, John Tavares.

On the season, JT has a grand total of 4 hits and 2 blocked shots (per ESPN). Just for comparison, among the top 20 point scorers in the NHL, every other player has at least 8 hits, and only 1, Jiri Hudler has fewer blocked shots. Way to do the little things that win games JT.

Steven Stamkos, #1 overall pick a year or two before JT: 33 hits and 12 blocks.
    Sidney Crosby - often referred to as a soft player: 11 hits and 8 blocks.
    Alex Ovechkin, another Conn Smythe finalist from last year: 41 hits and 6 blocks.
    Matt Duchesne, I believe was taken in the same draft as JT #2 or 3: 15 hits and 7 blocks.

After 17 games, how can you only have 2 blocks and 4 hits. Last season, in 48 games, JT had 33 hits and 22 blocks, middle of the pack among top 20 scorers. Why is he playing so friggin soft this season. 4 hits and 2 blocks, he should have better numbers just by accident. And to top it off, among those top 20 scorers this year, guess who has the most PIM. Yup, our very own JT with 24 PIM. How can you play soft but spend so much time in the box? Time for JT to start to lead by example. Gotta begin to do the little things that help the team win.

Thanks for indulging my little rant this AM. I feel better now -- at least until 5PM Central.

All League
    I thought maybe when I woke up this AM, I would have chilled out a bit after yesterday's loss. Nope, didn't happen. This morning's rant is not directed at Nabby for a change, nor is it directed at Cappy. It is directed at none other than our captain, the leader of this team, our superstar, Conn Smythe finalist from last season, John Tavares.

On the season, JT has a grand total of 4 hits and 2 blocked shots (per ESPN). Just for comparison, among the top 20 point scorers in the NHL, every other player has at least 8 hits, and only 1, Jiri Hudler has fewer blocked shots. Way to do the little things that win games JT.

Alex Ovechkin, another Conn Smythe finalist from last year: 41 hits and 6 blocks.
    Matt Duchesne, I believe was taken in the same draft as JT #2 or 3: 15 hits and 7 blocks.

After 17 games, how can you only have 2 blocks and 4 hits. Last season, in 48 games, JT had 33 hits and 22 blocks, middle of the pack among top 20 scorers. Why is he playing so friggin soft this season. 4 hits and 2 blocks, he should have better numbers just by accident. And to top it off, among those top 20 scorers this year, guess who has the most PIM. Yup, our very own JT with 24 PIM. How can you play soft but spend so much time in the box? Time for JT to start to lead by example. Gotta begin to do the little things that help the team win.

Thanks for indulging my little rant this AM. I feel better now -- at least until 5PM Central.

The whole team is soft.

And Garth traded away the only guy willing to get down and dirty in front of the net.

IsLOLanders.

Veteran

Great post but Cappy has to take some responsibility for letting them play like that. I wonder what the stats are for Okposo and PMB. I honestly don't know but I'll bet they are similar. This team was soft last year and Garth brings in two free agents that are complete wimps. Exactly what we did not need.

I also saw Nelson on the first line tonight. Maybe Cappy is coming around.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Great post but Cappy has to take some responsibility for letting them play like that. I wonder what the stats are for Okposo and PMB. I honestly don't know but I'll bet they are similar. This team was soft last year and Garth brings in two free agents that are complete wimps. Exactly what we did not need.

I also saw Nelson on the first line tonight. Maybe Cappy is coming around.
    PMB: 2 hits and 2 blocks, beyond pathetic.
    Okposo: 16 hits and 4 blocks.
    Nielsen: 8 hits and 12 blocks.

All League
    And the suck continues.

What team on a losing streak is up next?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    And the suck continues.

What team on a losing streak is up next?
    Nashville is up next. Shutout last night and they haven't scored a goal through two periods tonight. Might be coming into Long Island having been shutout in two straight. Would line up perfectly for them.

Veteran
    PMB: 2 hits and 2 blocks, beyond pathetic.
    Okposo: 16 hits and 4 blocks.
    Nielsen: 8 hits and 12 blocks.
    Thanks for the stats. I'm actually shocked that Okposo averages a hit a game. But it still sucks for the so called power forward on the first line.

There is so many things wrong with this team that I need to take a break. (I might say it, but I always end up watching them)

It was nice too see them finally play one of their top prospect forwards on the first line, not the fourth. I think Brock had a nice game and used his big body to stand in front of the net. I would like him too play more physical, but I can see it coming. Hopefully Cappy will keep him on that line, until Vanek returns.

And how bad is Amac? The guy has the worst outlet pass and sucks at everything else. I hope they drop him at the deadline for anything.

Does Cappy survive this death spiral? I think so.

All Pro
    It is now official. After giving up two more power play goals tonight, the Isles officially have the worst penalty kill in the NHL. 72.9%. Probably closer to 50% over the last two weeks. We gave up 8 power play goals on the four game trip - that is more than three teams (Colorado, Vancouver and San Jose) have given up all year. I never remember seeing a worse NHL penalty kill than we have seen from the Islanders during these last couple of weeks.

Fix it, Cappy. If you still have a job come Tuesday.
    Last edited by Lithfan; 11-10-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Veteran
    It is now official. After giving up two more power play goals tonight, the Isles officially have the worst power play in the NHL. 72.9%. Probably closer to 50% over the last two weeks. We gave up 8 power play goals on the four game trip - that is more than three teams (Colorado, Vancouver and San Jose) have given up all year. I never remember seeing a worse NHL penalty kill than we have seen from the Islanders during these last couple of weeks.

Fix it, Cappy. If you still have a job come Tuesday.
    I know it was mentioned here before, possibly by yourself. This team gives up the red line and ALLOWS the other team to set up and dominate their offensive zone time. We have guys like Grabner, Bailey, Nielsen that should be attacking their entry. Instead we swing open the door.

Coaches have to go....hopefully all of them.

All League
    Nothing on news day.com about Cappy fired.

Another loss coming on Tuesday to another team on a losing streak.

I except Cappy to be around until thanksgiving week. Isles get just one win in the next 5 or 6, and Cappys gone. Isles get two wins, and his job is probably safe thru thanksgiving. JMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The ship be sinkin.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Not even sure what to say beyond what has been said here. Not too late to figure this thing out but it better come pretty soon.

On a team that has barely enough NHL-caliber dmen, it doesn't help that your best Dman and several of the JAGs are out. I think this team misses Viz tremendously. Strait would also be a big help. Hopefully Hamonic isn't banged up too badly.

The thing about this PK is that it was pretty good up until about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened but they've become passive as hell.

What's the deal with Clutterbuck? He get hurt? Not that he's irreplaceable, but in the 2 minutes I saw of this weekend's games, I don' think I saw him at all.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Not even sure what to say beyond what has been said here. Not too late to figure this thing out but it better come pretty soon.

On a team that has barely enough NHL-caliber dmen, it doesn't help that your best Dman and several of the JAGs are out. I think this team misses Viz tremendously. Strait would also be a big help. Hopefully Hamonic isn't banged up too badly.

The thing about this PK is that it was pretty good up until about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened but they've become passive as hell.

What's the deal with Clutterbuck? He get hurt? Not that he's irreplaceable, but in the 2 minutes I saw of this weekend's games, I don' think I saw him at all.
    I agree with you about the injuries - they have probably had a bigger impact on this team than I have recognized, but it also points out just how thin the roster is.

If you only saw two minutes of this weekend's games, consider yourself lucky. Clutterbuck has been out with an upper body injury, I believe he is day-to-day. Still have not seen any report on the nature/extent of the Vanek injury either.