Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 25 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Random thought I had earlier.... Has Nabby stopped a breakaway in regulation? And, on the flip side, what is our conversion rate on our own breakaways? We've had a to. More chances and I can't recall us converting at all. On the flip side, it seems like Nabby hasn't stopped one so far this year.

I'm assuming Grabner practices them but what is rhedifference between Grabs and Fronzie? Seems like it's beyond luck but I don't have an answer as to why 1 can convert and the other cant.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poulin in net tonight. Thats two consecutive games for Poulin, maybe he is movoing up the depth chart. A couple of other updates from this AM:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 7m
    Looks like Clutterbuck in for Boulton, Martinek out on D tonight for #Isles.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 25m
    Clutterbuck a possibility tonight. Vanek out, but worked out off ice today and felt good. Could skate tomorrow.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 37m
    Poulin in goal, lineup tbd.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Poulin in net tonight. Thats two consecutive games for Poulin, maybe he is movoing up the depth chart. A couple of other updates from this AM:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 7m
    Looks like Clutterbuck in for Boulton, Martinek out on D tonight for #Isles.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 25m
    Clutterbuck a possibility tonight. Vanek out, but worked out off ice today and felt good. Could skate tomorrow.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 37m
    Poulin in goal, lineup tbd.
    Does that mean Ness is out? When is Strait coming back? I'm not suggesting he's the complete cure for what ails them, but its certainly a start.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welp, Poulins reaction time is certainly better than Nappy's. At least he gets his glove hand moving BEFORE the puck is in the back of the net.

Aww nuts -

Big story: The Islanders are mired in a four-game losing streak and will face a Predators team that has dominated them over the past decade. Nashville is 8-0-2 in its past 10 games against the Islanders with their last regulation loss April 11, 2002. Through Monday, it was unclear if forwards Thomas Vanek and Cal Clutterbuck would return from upper-body injuries for New York.
    Last edited by Big L; 11-12-2013 at 02:01 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isles logo for the stadium series-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw that Nashville is starting a goalie for his first start ever. Looks like the Isles will get shut out.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say something, but we still have 20 minutes to go, and I'd really rather not risk a jinx.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I was going to say something, but we still have 20 minutes to go, and I'd really rather not risk a jinx.
    I know what your'e thinking and I'm not saying it either

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad Poulin couldn't get the shutout, but he looked good. Nice to come away with 2 points for a change.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He made some big saves, at point blank range, when it was 0-0. Exactly the kind of saves that Nabby never seemed to make.

He should be between the pipes again on Thursday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its pretty clear to me who our number one goalie should be. 3 really strong games in his last 4. Hopefully it is clear to Cappy too.

A few more anxious moments at the end than I expected.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone is in Cappys ear. Maybe his seat is hotter than I thought. He is playing Poulin, Nelson went from the pressbox to the first line, and now is playing both the PP and the PK. Not typical Cappy moves. This has been the best our first line has played all season these past two games with Nelson up there.

Cappy has some hard decisions when Vanek comes back, but I want too see that line together for at least a few more games. Now if we can waive Regin, who is a waste, maybe they could let Strome get some center time in the NHL.

We have a tough stretch of games finally coming up. Let's see where this team is in a week and a half.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, a regulation W.

Now WIN four in a row, damnit.

Of course Poulin looks great, after having to watch Nappy.

J/K. But seriously, it's nice to see some "speed" in net.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Someone is in Cappys ear. Maybe his seat is hotter than I thought. He is playing Poulin, Nelson went from the pressbox to the first line, and now is playing both the PP and the PK. Not typical Cappy moves. This has been the best our first line has played all season these past two games with Nelson up there.

Cappy has some hard decisions when Vanek comes back, but I want too see that line together for at least a few more games. Now if we can waive Regin, who is a waste, maybe they could let Strome get some center time in the NHL.

We have a tough stretch of games finally coming up. Let's see where this team is in a week and a half.
    Nelson looked great out there. Some real chemistry....they had a whole bunch of other chances that they didn't convert. JT looked energized as well. That pass to KO was lie he was toying with them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Its pretty clear to me who our number one goalie should be. 3 really strong games in his last 4. Hopefully it is clear to Cappy too.

A few more anxious moments at the end than I expected.
    He has to ride him like a cheap whore at an El Salvadorian brothel. I think I wanted the SO more than Poulin

It's funny how most of the moves this board has been clamoring for, finally Cappy is making them. You don't take a prospect like Nelson and jerk him around. Scratching him, sending him too the AHL, playing him on the 3rd, 4th line. Play your ****in top prospects in a place too succeed.

Cappys seat is on fire right now, hopefully he keeps the lines somewhat intact. I really want too see Martin-Zeeker-Clutter on the fourth for the rest of the season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    He has to ride him like a cheap whore at an El Salvadorian brothel. I think I wanted the SO more than Poulin

It's funny how most of the moves this board has been clamoring for, finally Cappy is making them. You don't take a prospect like Nelson and jerk him around. Scratching him, sending him too the AHL, playing him on the 3rd, 4th line. Play your ****in top prospects in a place too succeed.

Cappys seat is on fire right now, hopefully he keeps the lines somewhat intact. I really want too see Martin-Zeeker-Clutter on the fourth for the rest of the season.
    Problem is we have 1 too many forwards and Regin is the only real viable C for te 3rd line. Brock is still a candidate to be in the Press Box when Vnek us back. I wouldn't mind seeing what Vanek does with Franzie and Bailey.....maybe they have chemistry. It would mean a line of PMB/Regin/Grabner would be as soft as they come, but that would be 3 lines very capable of scoring. Would also mean that Colin, Cal, Casey or MM would have to sit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading the game recap on nhl.com, Poulin said something like "I'm playing with confidence, now that I've played a few games in a row". Just like some of you had said - gotta play Poulin to keep the rust off. Of course Poulin can't be too good only playing once every 6 games.

And Johnny Quick hurt himself last night, lower body injury. Might get the kings backup tomorrow night.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Problem is we have 1 too many forwards and Regin is the only real viable C for te 3rd line. Brock is still a candidate to be in the Press Box when Vnek us back. I wouldn't mind seeing what Vanek does with Franzie and Bailey.....maybe they have chemistry. It would mean a line of PMB/Regin/Grabner would be as soft as they come, but that would be 3 lines very capable of scoring. Would also mean that Colin, Cal, Casey or MM would have to sit.
    I like your suggestion. I agree that Nelson has looked really good skating with the top line - why not leave him there. His last two games were probably his two best. Bailey has been struggling of late, he has been nearly invisible these last few games - maybe he can develop some chemistry with Vanek and it would really give us some depth across the top 2 lines. I don't think it will happen though - Vanek will likely go back on t he line with Okposo and Tavares and who knows where Nelson will end up.

Math fun fact of the day: We gave up 33 shots to the Preds. Poulin was great saving 32 of 33. Apply Nabby's 0.894 save percentage to 33 shots, and he gives up an average of 3.5 goals -- we either lose or go to OT.

Next up: Kings then Wings. Soft part of the schedule is over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Reading the game recap on nhl.com, Poulin said something like "I'm playing with confidence, now that I've played a few games in a row". Just like some of you had said - gotta play Poulin to keep the rust off. Of course Poulin can't be too good only playing once every 6 games.

And Johnny Quick hurt himself last night, lower body injury. Might get the kings backup tomorrow night.
    Careful what you wish for. Quick's back up, Ben Scrivens, has played really well this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Waive Regin, call up Strome. Regin has been beyond awful and brings nothing to this team.

Here is what I'm having a hard time with. When Vanek comes back do they stick him back on JTs wing even though the top line is playing great hockey? I would like to see the Nelson experiment continue but I don't want to disenfranchise Vanek because of the impending free agency.

If he doesn't play on JT's wing how is that going to help us re-sign him. Tough decision.

With a Strome call-up you could roll with lines like this. Nice balance throughout IMO because it gives you are garbageman on every line.

BN-JT-KO
    TV-FN-JB
    Grabs-Strome-CM
    MM-CC-CC

Or flip flop Nelson and Vanek.

And yes I know I left PMB out.