Page 28 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Took the boys and wife to the game last night.....a lot of mixed emotions. Onone hand, the absolutely dominated the 3rd period until that last rush, which was 100% on Poulin. OTOH, WTF is up with these lapses? We didn't finish cheering and they already had a 2-0 breakaway. And again, we haven't stopped a breakaway all season.

Cizikas got absolutely. Demolished by Helm early in the game.....I was looking for revenge the rest of the way. I guess Casey got it with his goal.

We need a Dman (any Dman) back in the worst way. I haven't hated Ness, but he's another midget. We need either our QB or at least a lil grit on our back line.

What's the word on Vanek? Tuesday?
    I don't think the last goal was all on Poulin. Puck went in off of MacDonald. AMac was manhandled by Bertuzzi in front of the net, went down and the puck bounced in off of him. Didn't look like anything Poulin could have done. We need D-men who can go toe to toe with a big guy like Bertuzzi and not get thrown to the ice like a gnat in front of the net.

Still - happy with the two points, but I would be feeling a lot better if we had rapped it up in regulation.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took the boys and wife to the game last night.....a lot of mixed emotions. Onone hand, the absolutely dominated the 3rd period until that last rush, which was 100% on Poulin. OTOH, WTF is up with these lapses? We didn't finish cheering and they already had a 2-0 breakaway. And again, we haven't stopped a breakaway all season.

Cizikas got absolutely. Demolished by Helm early in the game.....I was looking for revenge the rest of the way. I guess Casey got it with his goal.

We need a Dman (any Dman) back in the worst way. I haven't hated Ness, but he's another midget. We need either our QB or at least a lil grit on our back line.

What's the word on Vanek? Tuesday?
    I think your guess is as good as any. I thought he was going to be ready last night. Do we even know what the injury is? I'm guessing his hand.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Isles 1-6 in last 7, 3-7 in last 10. Going down quicker than a $20 whore.

Well, at least we have the Jets.

Oh crap. That means the Jets are going to lay a big fvcking egg on Sunday...
    Nailed it!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nailed it!
    Thanks azzhole.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 3h
    Anders Nilsson will join #Isles tomorrow. No plans to look outside org yet, though Nabokov injury seems to be 4+ weeks.
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

In Poulin and Nilsson we trust.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Thanks azzhole.
    LOL! Any time, Isles buddy!

And this.

Anders Nilsson will join #Isles tomorrow. No plans to look outside org yet, though Nabokov injury seems to be 4+ weeks.

Im in.

Nothing to lose, far as I can tell.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this.

I guess we have to, not like we have any other choices right now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I guess we have to, not like we have any other choices right now.
    Hopefully it is a blessing in disguise and not another excuse to keep Cappy aboard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, on Tuesday, we get to see either Poulin or Nilsson go up against Bernier, the guy many of us were hoping we would try to bring to LI in this past offseason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least the Isles scored a goal against Scrivens.

Maybe Garth can pull a trade for Scrivvey when Quick comes back.

lOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    So, on Tuesday, we get to see either Poulin or Nilsson go up against Bernier, the guy many of us were hoping we would try to bring to LI in this past offseason.
    I'm wondering if Bernier could have been had for Nino, Poulin and a pick. Considering they weren't looking for a starting goalie in the trade, the younger Poulin would probably have been just as desireable to the Kings. Then it comes down to Matt Frattin vs. Nino. My guess is that the deal could have been done for Poulin/Nino for Bernier. And the trade of Nino brought back a forward, something we really didn't need.

In retrospect (and we kind of knew it then), what a waste of an opportunity to turn a chip (maybe not a blue chip, but Nino still had value) into something we needed, not had a glut of already. I don't have a problem with PMB, Regin or Clutter individually, but bringing all 3 in when they could have addressed needs really hurts now.

Ideally they could have:

1) Used Nino as the cornerstone of a Bernier deal;
    2) Signed Regin to the minimum contract he got to Center the 3rd line (an unspectacular move, but perfectly fine);
    3) Used the money saved from CLutter and PMB to sign Rob Scuderi.

We would have our veteran Dman, and two open Forward spots (and not be in the position of having to scratch a guy like Nelson) on the roster and a real goalie.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm wondering if Bernier could have been had for Nino, Poulin and a pick. Considering they weren't looking for a starting goalie in the trade, the younger Poulin would probably have been just as desireable to the Kings. Then it comes down to Matt Frattin vs. Nino. My guess is that the deal could have been done for Poulin/Nino for Bernier. And the trade of Nino brought back a forward, something we really didn't need.

In retrospect (and we kind of knew it then), what a waste of an opportunity to turn a chip (maybe not a blue chip, but Nino still had value) into something we needed, not had a glut of already. I don't have a problem with PMB, Regin or Clutter individually, but bringing all 3 in when they could have addressed needs really hurts now.

Ideally they could have:

2) Signed Regin to the minimum contract he got to Center the 3rd line (an unspectacular move, but perfectly fine);

We would have our veteran Dman, and two open Forward spots (and not be in the position of having to scratch a guy like Nelson) on the roster and a real goalie.
    I like that way of thinking. Even if it meant that we would not have had the picks needed to acquire Vanek - who is probably going to wind up as nothing more than a 6 month rental, unless we can find a way into the playoffs. Right now, Snow is in a really tough position. Major trading chips are gone (Nino and 1st round pick) and we are still weak on the blue line and with Nabby's injury, we are even worse off in the net. We do not look like a playoff team, and I don't think we resign Vanek if we don't make the playoffs this season.

It is almost like we are relegated to a strategy of crossing our fingers and hoping that either Poulin or Nilsson can prove to be a number one goalie that can lead this team to the playoffs. (kinda like another teams strategy of crossing their fingers and hoping a QB develops into a legit starter and leads his team to the playoffs, which I only mention here since I need to vent after yesterday and I want no part of the Landing Strip right now).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like that way of thinking. Even if it meant that we would not have had the picks needed to acquire Vanek - who is probably going to wind up as nothing more than a 6 month rental, unless we can find a way into the playoffs. Right now, Snow is in a really tough position. Major trading chips are gone (Nino and 1st round pick) and we are still weak on the blue line and with Nabby's injury, we are even worse off in the net. We do not look like a playoff team, and I don't think we resign Vanek if we don't make the playoffs this season.

It is almost like we are relegated to a strategy of crossing our fingers and hoping that either Poulin or Nilsson can prove to be a number one goalie that can lead this team to the playoffs. (kinda like another teams strategy of crossing their fingers and hoping a QB develops into a legit starter and leads his team to the playoffs, which I only mention here since I need to vent after yesterday and I want no part of the Landing Strip right now).
    The similarities between the Jets and the Isles are frightening, TBH. Besides the QB to Goalie similarity, what about the defenses? Neither are very good at stopping the opponent.

BTW, Nappy on IR for a few weeks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Ideally they could have:

IIRC Part of that trade was a salary dump so I'm not sure if Nino could have even been a piece of it. Again I'm not sure, but I remember something like that, but I may have the players mixed up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC Part of that trade was a salary dump so I'm not sure if Nino could have even been a piece of it. Again I'm not sure, but I remember something like that, but I may have the players mixed up.
    Are you talking about the Bernier deal? Don't think there was any salary dump there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you talking about the Bernier deal? Don't think there was any salary dump there.
    After I posted that, I used the google thingy to see if my story had any legs. I must have been mistaken and can't recall what trade I'm thinking about. Watching the Jets and Isles can do that to a man.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow's lineup will be interesting. Vanek should hopefully be back and Cappy likes to dress his heavy lineup (with Boulton) against the Leafs, so potentially 2 Fwds may come out. I'm not sure why he won't entertain taking PMB out for a game or two. I'm not suggesting waiving him (although others may), but give him a rest for a night - see what happens. Go with these lines....

Nelson - JT - Kyle O.
    Bailey - Franz - Vanek
    Grabner - Regin - Cal
    Martin - CC - CMac

Not even room for Boulton unless he wants to sit Clutter for a game. Or CMac.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow's lineup will be interesting. Vanek should hopefully be back and Cappy likes to dress his heavy lineup (with Boulton) against the Leafs, so potentially 2 Fwds may come out. I'm not sure why he won't entertain taking PMB out for a game or two. I'm not suggesting waiving him (although others may), but give him a rest for a night - see what happens. Go with these lines....

Nelson - JT - Kyle O.
    Bailey - Franz - Vanek
    Grabner - Regin - Cal
    Martin - CC - CMac

Not even room for Boulton unless he wants to sit Clutter for a game. Or CMac.
    I'm not even going too guess the lines but I guarantee Boulton will be in. It's the only reason he is on the roster, and I believe he dressed for every leaf game last year.

I just wish they would banish Regin forever. He is the new Reasoner, shytty at everything and cancels out the entire play of the line he is centering. Bring up Strome, it's not like we're setting the world on fire right now and you don't want to mess with the chemistry.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guesses on when Nillson will get his start? I haven't heard, but I'd bet Poulin starts tonight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guesses on when Nillson will get his start? I haven't heard, but I'd bet Poulin starts tonight.
    I am guessing Saturday night in Philly - 2nd of a back-to-back. Besides, I am going to be at that game. I saw Poulin's first start this year in Chicago, only fitting that I should also see Nilsson's first in Philly. Saturday night in Philly, Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. Looking forward to a fun weekend. Hopefully Jets and Isles cooperate.