Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All Pro
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 13m #Isles lines in AM skate: 29-91-21, 12-51-13, 96-16-15, 36-53-17.

Vanek still out. Looks like Boulton in for Grabner who is a healthy scratch tonight.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 13m #Isles lines in AM skate: 29-91-21, 12-51-13, 96-16-15, 36-53-17.

Vanek still out. Looks like Boulton in for Grabner who is a healthy scratch tonight.
    That's a surprise. I thought PMB would get the hook but Grabner has been floating the past 10 games and not at all engaged. If we were going to be pointing out guys who aren't contributing Bailey has to be on that list too - he hasn't done **** recently.

Veteran

Interesting with Cmac on the second line. Overall I like the 1st, 2nd, and 4th lines. That third line is beyond pitiful.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's a surprise. I thought PMB would get the hook but Grabner has been floating the past 10 games and not at all engaged. If we were going to be pointing out guys who aren't contributing Bailey has to be on that list too - he hasn't done **** recently.
    I am surprised about Grabs, but I don't think it is a bad move. He is kind of like the Isles version of Stephen Hill. Fastest guy out there, but very little production and they may both get benched this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I am surprised about Grabs, but I don't think it is a bad move. He is kind of like the Isles version of Stephen Hill. Fastest guy out there, but very little production and they may both get benched this week.

What is his success rate on breakaways? How can someone be so bad at them despite all the opportunities? If he converted on 40% of his breakaways, and our goalies stopped 50% of the ones we give up, We would probably be +10 more in goal differentials.

This should hopefully be a one game thing and then he'll be back with avengence.

Veteran
    What is his success rate on breakaways? How can someone be so bad at them despite all the opportunities? If he converted on 40% of his breakaways, and our goalies stopped 50% of the ones we give up, We would probably be +10 more in goal differentials.

This should hopefully be a one game thing and then he'll be back with avengence.
    For some reason Cappy has never liked Grabner and he has always been in the so called doghouse. How else can you explain how he uses him.

Although tonight I don't have a problem with him riding the pine. I think others are more deserving of the night in the pressbox, but I have no problem with Grabs sitting a game. Someone had to considering we are playing the Leafs, but that statement in itself is damning on the overall build of this roster.

Veteran
    Don't know why, but I'm pumped for this third period. Lets go Isles.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Don't know why, but I'm pumped for this third period. Lets go Isles.
    You think they can get their battle level up?

Veteran
    Mods please move post #567 to the Business Marketing Forum.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Mods please move post #567 to the Business Marketing Forum.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    You think they can get their battle level up?
    Guess that's a resounding NO.

All League
    This roster just isn't playoff material, as much as we'd like to believe. Injuries have hurt more than anticipated.

Poulin doing his best Nappy impression. God bless him.

Seems like the grit this team played with against the Penguins last year is gone.

All Pro
    Missed this one tonight, but it sounds like I didn't miss much. Was Poulin bad, or did the whole team breakdown tonight?

All League
    Missed this one tonight, but it sounds like I didn't miss much. Was Poulin bad, or did the whole team breakdown tonight?

The usual. Bad passes, awful clearing attempts, turnovers, and that's just in their own end. Offensively, too many passes.

I must be having a brain fart, but Poulins goals weren't that bad. Tough saves to make, and he didn't make them. They weren't soft. Wish he could have stood on his head and make some spectacular waves, but didn't. Only one game, but Maybe Poulin isn't the answer, kinda like Geno Smith. Hey, another Jets crossover reference.

All League
    The more I think about that Vanek trade, the more I think Garth made a huge mistake.

I think that was the move of a desperate GM. Maybe Garth's last hurrah. A desperate move, and a stupid one at that. But to blow away two high picks that has so far crumbled this team is retarded. Mortgaged some of the future for nothing.

This has got to be Garth's last year. I'm torn - don't make the playoffs, Garth's gone. Yay! Make the playoffs, Garth stays. Yay and boo!

All League
    And another thing, Vonnegut-

It seems it's the same story after every loss - "we didn't play with energy, we didn't battle, we didn't win the battles against the boards, we didn't play hard for 60 minutes, don't know why, same thing, gotta figure it out".

How many times? Is this an indication that the players aren't listening to the coaches? Has the coach lost the players? WTF is going on here? Its the same shlt after every game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't think Snow is going anywhere. However Cappy may be another story. As was said a month ago, it would take a complete meltdown for him to get fired. Well, it definitely feels like a meltdown at this point.

22 games. 5 wins in regulation.

That's abysmal.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'll give it til the end of the year until I officially call for someone's head, but its getting pretty old. I think the collective defense is finally showing its cracks. These guys simply can't battle effectively with most of the forwards in the league. Individually they are all OK - perhaps worthy of 5-7 slots on an ordinary team that otherwise has decent size/bulk. But when you have AMac/Hickey/Ness/Donovan all starting together, its a field day for the opposing teams forwards.

Veteran
    Even Staple is getting pissed. His tweet from yesterday.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 20h
    #Isles small D getting rag-dolled around tonight in own zone.
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'll give it til the end of the year until I officially call for someone's head, but its getting pretty old.
    When you say end of the year, do you mean the end of THIS season or do you mean January 1?

All Pro
    If they were to fire Cappy or Garth now, would that improve the Isles chances of making the playoffs this year. If the answer to this question is yes, then get rid of one or both right now. I just don't see how this team, as currently constructed, is gonna make the playoffs no matter who is on the bench. We could bring in Al Arbour or Scotty Bowman, and we would still have the same flawed roster that is impacted by injuries where the roster is thinnest. Our defense is soft and not able to cope with big power forwards. We have two goalies who probably are not ready to play regularly, but I guess time will tell. You can get by with a weak defense if your goalie is a stud, or you can get by with a mediocre goalie if he has a great defense in front of him, but I don't see how you can win with both.

If Cappy loses the team, then its time to move on mid-season, other than that, other than that, I don't see an interim coach coming in and making a difference. Garth has to try to find a way to fix this roster in season, if not, I think he is gone in the offseason - especially if we miss the playoffs and Vanek walks at the end of the season.