Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 1862

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

  1. #721
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Sorry fellas, the yotes third goal is on me. Thought the game started at 10. Tuned in about 10:05, literally saw 15 seconds before the yotes had the puck in the back of the net.

    Turned it back to football.
    You might want to flip the hockey game back on. Its gotten interesting again.

  2. #722
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    You might want to flip the hockey game back on. Its gotten interesting again.
    Sad when only losing by 2 (end of 2) counts as interesting.


  3. #723
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Sad when only losing by 2 (end of 2) counts as interesting.

    Interesting was when they were down 1 and on the power play with about 6 minutes left in the 2nd. Interesting ended when Boedker scored with 1 minute left in the period. Interesting is turning back into pathetic again. Staple sums it up pretty well:

    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 4m
    #Isles look awful, rally back, look awful again and trail 5-3 end of 2

  4. #724
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does he keep his job? We have a goalie that let up five goals in two periods and I don't blame him. He made highlight reel saves in the first.

    Hopeful and delusional guess. Cappy gets canned before they fly back. I noticed they don't fly back till tomorrow and Garth gave him a vote of full confidence.

  5. #725
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    How does he keep his job? We have a goalie that let up five goals in two periods and I don't blame him. He made highlight reel saves in the first.

    Hopeful and delusional guess. Cappy gets canned before they fly back. I noticed they don't fly back till tomorrow and Garth gave him a vote of full confidence.
    Agree. Somehow I think Poulin has been pretty good tonight despite giving up 5 in two periods. The team playing in front of him has been terrible. DeHaan turns the puck over, loses his stick and his man leading to the fifth goal. First two goals deflect in of Isles sticks. 4 guys watching the puck in the corner and don't see Ribeiro coming into the slot. Just awful in so many ways defensively tonight.

  6. #726
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    How does he keep his job? We have a goalie that let up five goals in two periods and I don't blame him. He made highlight reel saves in the first.

    Hopeful and delusional guess. Cappy gets canned before they fly back. I noticed they don't fly back till tomorrow and Garth gave him a vote of full confidence.
    I'm baffled myself.

    I mean, the team is SCREAMING for some sort of change, and yet it's the same deal, every day. Just going thru the motions. Like groundhog day.

  7. #727
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 regulation win in our last 19 games and he is still the coach. It has to be the lifetime contract that is holding this thing up.

  8. #728
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    1 regulation win in our last 19 games and he is still the coach. It has to be the lifetime contract that is holding this thing up.
    I am assuming that he got extended in the offseason. Can't think of another reason why he would still be coaching this team given the performance. They are so bad in so many areas right now, why else would you keep the coach unless you recently made a big financial commitment.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  9. #729
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking Cappy, and to a large extent Garth, are taking all the heat, and not saying a word and not throwing the owner under the bus. So I think this loyalty to the Wanger is keeping both their jobs safe.

  10. #730
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I am assuming that he got extended in the offseason. Can't think of another reason why he would still be coaching this team given the performance. They are so bad in so many areas right now, why else would you keep the coach unless you recently made a big financial commitment.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I agree. This just doesn't make sense. That "worst case scenario" we said would have to happen 2 months ago has actually happened. The guy has to go.

    Is anyone in the media speculating on the "secret" extension theory?

  11. #731
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I agree. This just doesn't make sense. That "worst case scenario" we said would have to happen 2 months ago has actually happened. The guy has to go.

    Is anyone in the media speculating on the "secret" extension theory?
    I did read an article in the offseason speculating on Capuano's contract status. I can't find a copy of it. Isles apparently never released details of Cappy's contract when he signed in 2011. If it was a typical 3-year deal, it would have been up end of this season and it is common to extend a coach season before his last. Considering the way the Isles finished last season, would not have been a shock to extend the coach.

    Pure speculation, but it makes sense to me.

  12. #732
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beastie Boys new song for the Isles-



    No Wins till Brooklyn




    Cappy watch - as of 2:14pm, 12-11-2013, nothing on Newsday.com about a Cappy firing.

  13. #733
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    One regulation win in our last twenty.

  14. #734
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    One regulation win in our last twenty.
    A better goalie makes that OT save, yes or no?

  15. #735
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    A better goalie makes that OT save, yes or no?
    Not sure I would put that on Nabby. He played well and the defense in front of him played well for the most part. I thought the last goal was more on Hickey than Nabby. Hickey turned the puck over trying to pass to Ness behind the net instead of hitting Tavares on the breakout, then got beat to the net. Nabby had to play Desjarnais on the wraparound which set up Pacioretty for the easy game winner.

    When you hold the other team scoreless through 60, you should win. Just too many misplays in the offensive zone. Errant passes, missed opportunities, passing up the shot, then making a bad pass or thrunign the puck over. They played better in their own zone, but another frustrating night for the Isles -- like most nights this season.

  16. #736
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    A better goalie makes that OT save, yes or no?

    I'm a little late but I'll defer to Liths spot on post. That was 100% on Hickey, and I forgot Cappy, because he had Hickey and Ness out there together with a four on four in overtime. There is no excuse for that.

    I was quite surprised how rested and limber Nappy looked out there. Hopefully Poulin runs away with the job and they finally use Nappy they way they should, as a back-up.

  17. #737
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I asked the question is it looked like Nappy had his stick there, but the puck slid under it. Maybe if he had his stick in better position. I dunno.

    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm a little late but I'll defer to Liths spot on post. That was 100% on Hickey, and I forgot Cappy, because he had Hickey and Ness out there together with a four on four in overtime. There is no excuse for that.

    I was quite surprised how rested and limber Nappy looked out there.
    Hopefully Poulin runs away with the job and they finally use Nappy they way they should, as a back-up.
    Me too. Totally surprised.

    Of course, this means Cappy will start Nappy full-time, and he'll be back to old slow low glove hand nappy in no time.

  18. #738
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Not sure I would put that on Nabby. He played well and the defense in front of him played well for the most part. I thought the last goal was more on Hickey than Nabby. Hickey turned the puck over trying to pass to Ness behind the net instead of hitting Tavares on the breakout, then got beat to the net. Nabby had to play Desjarnais on the wraparound which set up Pacioretty for the easy game winner.

    When you hold the other team scoreless through 60, you should win. Just too many misplays in the offensive zone. Errant passes, missed opportunities, passing up the shot, then making a bad pass or thrunign the puck over. They played better in their own zone, but another frustrating night for the Isles -- like most nights this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm a little late but I'll defer to Liths spot on post. That was 100% on Hickey, and I forgot Cappy, because he had Hickey and Ness out there together with a four on four in overtime. There is no excuse for that.

    I was quite surprised how rested and limber Nappy looked out there. Hopefully Poulin runs away with the job and they finally use Nappy they way they should, as a back-up.
    I think you guys aren't giving Ness his share of the blame. Yes, Hickey looked like a guy who didn't know how to skate, but Ness should have had Pacioretty tied up there. He was on him but never fully engaged with him and let him play the puck unmolested.

    So fvking frustrating to see the two of those fumble the outlet/clearing of the puck there. It seems like it happens all the time. They play this fast, transition game with defensemen who can't get the puck out of there. They had their chances on Saturday but the puck was seemingly in their own end for much of the game.

    JMO, but Nabby didn't have a chance on that goal. That was all on midget #1 and midget #2.

    Strome didn't look out of place though. And I didn't get a chance to see anything about he lineups....was Cizikas just given a rest or is he banged up?

  19. #739
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think you guys aren't giving Ness his share of the blame. Yes, Hickey looked like a guy who didn't know how to skate, but Ness should have had Pacioretty tied up there. He was on him but never fully engaged with him and let him play the puck unmolested.

    So fvking frustrating to see the two of those fumble the outlet/clearing of the puck there. It seems like it happens all the time. They play this fast, transition game with defensemen who can't get the puck out of there. They had their chances on Saturday but the puck was seemingly in their own end for much of the game.

    JMO, but Nabby didn't have a chance on that goal. That was all on midget #1 and midget #2.

    Strome didn't look out of place though. And I didn't get a chance to see anything about he lineups....was Cizikas just given a rest or is he banged up?
    I do agree with you on Ness. He should have picked up Pacioretty in front, instead he just let him skate by for the easy finish on the feed from Desjarnais. Defensive breakdown all around - Hickey at the start of the play and Ness at the end.

  20. #740
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The swamp via LI
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone watching Stromes second game tonight? At least there is some reason to watch.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us