Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1862

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Anyone see NHL Revealed: A Season Like No Other on NBC Sports Network?

Veteran
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 47m
    One last bit of #Isles news: Frans Nielsen suffered a broken hand on slash from Avs D Erik Johnson on Saturday. Non-displaced fracture...

Not good but it will open up the roster for the young guys. Maybe we'll get an extended look at Lee.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 47m
    One last bit of #Isles news: Frans Nielsen suffered a broken hand on slash from Avs D Erik Johnson on Saturday. Non-displaced fracture...

Not good but it will open up the roster for the young guys. Maybe we'll get an extended look at Lee.
    Don't think Frans is expected to be out for long, but I would definitely like to see Strome and Lee both with the Isles for the rest of the season after the Olympic break. With the Nielsen injury, we are down to 11 forwards anyway -- Cappy has no reason not to play the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Don't think Frans is expected to be out for long, but I would definitely like to see Strome and Lee both with the Isles for the rest of the season after the Olympic break. With the Nielsen injury, we are down to 11 forwards anyway -- Cappy has no reason not to play the kids.
    Knowing Capuano, he is more than likely begging Garth to get on the Phone with Marty Reasoner and John Sim's agents

Veteran
    Staple is saying the first week after the break he should be out. That also coincides with the trading deadline and with Regin already gone and Vanek soon on his way we might get a long look at Strome and Lee depending on what comes back for Vanek.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Knowing Capuano, he is more than likely begging Garth to get on the Phone with Marty Reasoner and John Sim's agents
    I heard he's looking at bring back Pandolfo. You can never have enough vets.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Well, #16 is open now......

I didn't see the Avs game but I just saw that Johnson got 2 games for the slash - must have been pretty bad.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Well, #16 is open now......

I didn't see the Avs game but I just saw that Johnson got 2 games for the slash - must have been pretty bad.
    I'm surprised he only got two games considering Grabner also received two for a cheesy elbow.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'm surprised he only got two games considering Grabner also received two for a cheesy elbow.
    I was going back and forth on that. I just saw it yesterday and it was a vicious slash. But, it wasn't to the head so I think they view it differently. And Johnson isn't I dirty player (from what little I know of him), so I'm thinking 2 games is about right.

If nothing else, we should hopefully get to see Anders Lee for an extended period of time as we will be down 3 forwards once Vanek is moved. It would be nice to see what we have with him as he's an RFA this off season. If he and Strome make a strong push for a regular spot next season in the remaining games, it will give some clarity to what we have to do this offseason.

I really hope we get back a forward prospect by the deadline - after Strome and Lee, there's really no one knocking at the door at forward. There's the Swedes, but I honestly don't know much about them. And that's basically it.

I was going back and forth on that. I just saw it yesterday and it was a vicious slash. But, it wasn't to the head so I think they view it differently. And Johnson isn't I dirty player (from what little I know of him), so I'm thinking 2 games is about right.

If nothing else, we should hopefully get to see Anders Lee for an extended period of time as we will be down 3 forwards once Vanek is moved. It would be nice to see what we have with him as he's an RFA this off season. If he and Strome make a strong push for a regular spot next season in the remaining games, it will give some clarity to what we have to do this offseason.

I really hope we get back a forward prospect by the deadline - after Strome and Lee, there's really no one knocking at the door at forward. There's the Swedes, but I honestly don't know much about them. And that's basically it.
    Not really sure about wanting a forward back in a trade. Their forwards are not the problem. On top of that, every forward that matters is basically locked up for the next 3 years. Anders Lee and Strome are basically all they need now.

They really need to bring back some defense and a goalie prospect ready for the NHL (i.e John Gibson)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Not really sure about wanting a forward back in a trade. Their forwards are not the problem. On top of that, every forward that matters is basically locked up for the next 3 years. Anders Lee and Strome are basically all they need now.

They really need to bring back some defense and a goalie prospect ready for the NHL (i.e John Gibson)
    I mean a forward prospect. Our fwds are young, but we really don't have anyone else coming up. In 3 years practically everyone is coming due and it would be nice to have someone potentially ready. Especially as Strome and Lee are unproven and Bailey is a bust.

If we can get a veteran top 4 dman, I agree heartily. A blueline prospect? No thanks. But I doubt any contender is giving up a top 4 dman in a trade for Vanek - that doesn't make any sense for them.

I'll happily take Gibson or Anderson off of Anaheim's hands. And if they refuse to trade either, I'll sign Hiller in the off season.

I mean a forward prospect. Our fwds are young, but we really don't have anyone else coming up. In 3 years practically everyone is coming due and it would be nice to have someone potentially ready. Especially as Strome and Lee are unproven and Bailey is a bust.

If we can get a veteran top 4 dman, I agree heartily. A blueline prospect? No thanks. But I doubt any contender is giving up a top 4 dman in a trade for Vanek - that doesn't make any sense for them.

I'll happily take Gibson or Anderson off of Anaheim's hands. And if they refuse to trade either, I'll sign Hiller in the off season.
    Understood. I think I would keep this years pick and give Buff next years. Pray that Snow improves the D and goaltending somehow and they have step forward season.

One option I would look at is dangling Frans (broken wrist now hurts what I was going to say) or Grabner with A-Mac. That may bring back a top tier prospect and a 1. I have the belief that Brock Nelson is wasted at wing and better used at center. Also, in my opinion, Strome is better suited to play center too. Czikas is a great 4th line center and will be cheap, so no need to move him. Frans to me seems like the odd man out, especially given this great season he is having. I love Grabner, and his speed is great, but what use is it when he can't score. Great on the PK, so teams would love that. Czikas, Clutterbuck, Brock Nelson and hopefully lee are all great penalty killers. I feel Garth has a few options to make a huge deal, not kill this teams future, and get next year started on the right path.

I would love 2 vet Forwards next year, a la Heatley, jussi, etc. A guy that could kick the lockeroom around in November. They are still young. They need some aged vet with some skill to come in and help stop the bleeding. (Like the Guerin, Witt signings.)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Understood. I think I would keep this years pick and give Buff next years. Pray that Snow improves the D and goaltending somehow and they have step forward season.

One option I would look at is dangling Frans (broken wrist now hurts what I was going to say) or Grabner with A-Mac. That may bring back a top tier prospect and a 1. I have the belief that Brock Nelson is wasted at wing and better used at center. Also, in my opinion, Strome is better suited to play center too. Czikas is a great 4th line center and will be cheap, so no need to move him. Frans to me seems like the odd man out, especially given this great season he is having. I love Grabner, and his speed is great, but what use is it when he can't score. Great on the PK, so teams would love that. Czikas, Clutterbuck, Brock Nelson and hopefully lee are all great penalty killers. I feel Garth has a few options to make a huge deal, not kill this teams future, and get next year started on the right path.

I would love 2 vet Forwards next year, a la Heatley, jussi, etc. A guy that could kick the lockeroom around in November. They are still young. They need some aged vet with some skill to come in and help stop the bleeding. (Like the Guerin, Witt signings.)
    The thing is, neither Nelson or Strome is really meant to play 3C - Nelson more than Strome, but still, they're both top 6 forwards, IMO. I think eventually they need to move to a bottom 6 of:

Grabner - Nielsen - Cal
    Martin - Cizikas - Whomever

Frans, while very likeable, is not really a 2nd line Center. I don't necessarily want him moved, but if he was moved into a more defensive role, I think it would be more appropriate. And I'm not sure which one should be playing wing and who should be playing Center but Nelson and Strome are top 6 forwards and need to be thought of accordingly.

The big question mark is Bailey. Is he truly a dud or will he still develop? I read a thing or two about him playing with JT and Okposo assuming Vanek's moved. I wouldn't mind that just to see what he can do. If he can't produce with those guys, we at least know what we have. But if he can get his sh!t together - great. One less slot we need to fill. And I guess we'll see where Lee fits in. If he develops, that would be great as well.

I don't dislike the Heatley suggestion for next year - what kind of shape is he in now? ANything left in the tank? We have the money to spend just to get to the floor. We could use a goalie, a vet defensemen and top 6 fwd....for starters.

All Pro
    And the season goes from bad to worse. Hopefully its nothing serious:

IslandersPointBlank ‏@IslandersPB 2m

John Tavares Leaves Canada’s Game with Possible Injury (GIF) http://wp.me/p2cwuV-bN3

Veteran
    And the season goes from bad to worse. Hopefully its nothing serious:

IslandersPointBlank ‏@IslandersPB 2m

John Tavares Leaves Canada’s Game with Possible Injury (GIF) http://wp.me/p2cwuV-bN3
    I saw the hit and it didn't look all that bad, let's hope it's only something minor but he is out for the rest of the olympics.

Thank god Austria is done and Vanek made it through unscathed. Now we have only four more regular season games to sweat out before he gets dealt, lets hope Garth doesn't wait that long.

I saw the hit and it didn't look all that bad, let's hope it's only something minor but he is out for the rest of the olympics.

Thank god Austria is done and Vanek made it through unscathed. Now we have only four more regular season games to sweat out before he gets dealt, lets hope Garth doesn't wait that long.
    My best friend is an orthopedic dr and said that when someone goes down on that soft of a hit---that is a bad sign. (we watched the game together) If Tavares is hurt, it is the equivalent of my father leaving on my 18th b-day. Just saying

All Pro

Agree with your thought on Vanek. Breathed a heavy sigh of relief that he made it through the week, only to hear that JT got hurt today. I would hope that Garth has been working the phones and has something in place to pull the trigger on shortly after the roster freeze is lifted. I guess we will find out in another week. Any chance Grabner finds a way to keep the scoring touch that he developed in Sochi.

All Pro
    My best friend is an orthopedic dr and said that when someone goes down on that soft of a hit---that is a bad sign. (we watched the game together) If Tavares is hurt, it is the equivalent of my father leaving on my 18th b-day. Just saying
    If it does turn out to be serious, lets just hope he will be ready to go next season -- its not like we are going anywhere this year anyway. As tight lipped as NHL teams are about injuries, we may not know anything until we see if he is active when the season resumes next week.

Veteran
    Agree with your thought on Vanek. Breathed a heavy sigh of relief that he made it through the week, only to hear that JT got hurt today. I would hope that Garth has been working the phones and has something in place to pull the trigger on shortly after the roster freeze is lifted. I guess we will find out in another week. Any chance Grabner finds a way to keep the scoring touch that he developed in Sochi.
    Not with the way Cappy will use him, although with all of the injuries we have up the center he will be forced to get creative. That's not necessarily a good thing.

Not with the way Cappy will use him, although with all of the injuries we have up the center he will be forced to get creative. That's not necessarily a good thing.
    Not to be a dik--but Grabner is already developed. He was a quality pick by GS due to his ability to score agaist 2nd tier goaltending. He didn't do any of this against Lunquist, price, luongo, Quick, Miller, Rask, etc. The best thing the Isles could do is package Vanek and Grabner to anaheim for Gibson
    Last edited by Jimmiekid91; 02-19-2014 at 04:33 PM.