Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm not OK if Brock sits. He is a part of our answer, the more he plays the better. PMB and Regin are not.
    Yeah but he's still 21 - there's no need for him to play 82 games. If he sits occasionally to rest, etc. that's not going to hurt our long term or short term goals.

Btw, Regin has looked good so far, ya? Better than PMB at least who's main role is to be the OTHER 90 something that's not JT.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not concerned if Brock sits every once and awhile as he should. I'm concerned he's going to become best buddies with Boulton up there night after night. I hope my fears turn out to be irrational.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm not concerned if Brock sits every once and awhile as he should. I'm concerned he's going to become best buddies with Boulton up there night after night. I hope my fears turn out to be irrational.
    I'm with you on that. He hasn't gotten into the scoring column yet, but he's played pretty well so far. He's been swift with the puck and he's tossed his body around too. Donovan, while not scaring anyone with his stature, played pretty physical as well last night. I liked his roughing penalty, actually. Good to see the rookie play with some snarl.

If the plan is to get Griff his 9 games and send him back, they best be putting him in soon. They need that roster spot. I understand that there's some (but not much) benefit in simply having him with the Big Club and get used to the travel, the practice, etc. (as well as getting him a big league check), but we really need that roster spot and he really needs to get on the ice - even if its in Edmonton.

Would have been perfect to get him in against the Coyotes at home, not against the defending Champs on the road. And if he doesn't play on Friday, then when will he get the PT?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Grif headed back to Edmonton. That's too bad, but I guess its the only real move that could be made. Would have been nice to see him last night instead of Hickey. But, that could have made Cappy's decision even harder if he held his own.

Disappointed to not make the team this year but hopefully years to come. Headed back to @EdmOilKings

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Big Grif headed back to Edmonton. That's too bad, but I guess its the only real move that could be made. Would have been nice to see him last night instead of Hickey. But, that could have made Cappy's decision even harder if he held his own.
    It was too easy to see this coming with Cals somewhat miraculous recovery. I'm glad for him, and I'm just happy he will get some playing time. Sitting in the box night after night was a disservice to him.
    I'm sure we'll see him at the end when his junior season is over.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you on that. He hasn't gotten into the scoring column yet, but he's played pretty well so far. He's been swift with the puck and he's tossed his body around too. Donovan, while not scaring anyone with his stature, played pretty physical as well last night. I liked his roughing penalty, actually. Good to see the rookie play with some snarl.

If the plan is to get Griff his 9 games and send him back, they best be putting him in soon. They need that roster spot. I understand that there's some (but not much) benefit in simply having him with the Big Club and get used to the travel, the practice, etc. (as well as getting him a big league check), but we really need that roster spot and he really needs to get on the ice - even if its in Edmonton.

Would have been perfect to get him in against the Coyotes at home, not against the defending Champs on the road. And if he doesn't play on Friday, then when will he get the PT?
    I think both Rooks have looked impressive. Nelson did get a nice assist on the Regin goal and he is a big body that can skate. Exactly what this team needs, so when he is sitting in the pressbox on friday so one of our midgets can play.....you're damn right I'm gonna be pissed.

By all accounts Donovan does have some physicality to his game. He did rack up lots of PIMs last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Tavares on the "C"

Nice article on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Four years from now, when Andrew Ference's contract is expiring and he's entering the sunset of a successful NHL career, the Edmonton Oilers should have a desirable list of candidates to be their next captain as long as Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins pay attention the way John Tavares did on Long Island for the past two seasons.

Tavares noticed Edmonton coach Dallas Eakins' choice of Ference as captain over Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins. He nods in approval because he understands what a few extra years can mean to a young player with the potential to be a superstar and the pressure to turn into a leader.

Tavares could have been named the Islanders captain two years ago, when he signed his six-year contract extension, but he wasn't ready for the responsibility. The Islanders instead stitched a "C" on Mark Streit's sweater and gave Tavares the "A".

"It just gave me more time," Tavares said. "There was still a lot of growth and maturity needed in my game and as a person."

The Oilers appear to be using a similar model for their leadership depth, choosing Ference, who joined the team only five months ago, over one of their budding stars.

"There were lots of guys that we were considering, but every time as soon as we got into the conversations, whether it was with coaches or players, we always went right back to the same guy and it was Andrew," Eakins said. "He's the right guy for this team, to carry the weight of that letter."

Three games into his captaincy and his fifth NHL season, Tavares is confident in talking about himself as the right guy for the Islanders. He shows how prepared he is for the captaincy every day.

"I've seen his personality really open up," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said.

His voice is louder and his words are heavier. He's still reserved, but he's no longer shy about addressing the team.

"He doesn't talk and say nothing," Capuano said. "When he speaks it's obviously got a lot of value and guys listen."

Tavares was living in Islanders assistant coach Doug Weight's guest house two years ago; now he's welcoming teammates into his home. Colin McDonald moved in with Tavares last season before he knew if he would stay with the Islanders. He still lives there today.

"Although I've always believed captain is just a letter on your shirt, you're not going to change who you are, there are going to be instances that you're going to be demanded to do more things, you're going to have to step up and not necessarily control the room but be part of the room, be part of the voice," Weight told NHL.com. "That wasn't Johnnie's complete comfort zone [two years ago].

"He needed to work on some things. I think the whole League knows he did."

Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins do too. They're in their early-to-mid 20s, just starting out in the NHL.

Since Ference is signed through the 2016-17 season, they have time to turn themselves into complete players while helping the Oilers become a complete team. Tavares would be the first to tell them to use the time wisely. At least one of them will figure out why when the time comes for him to wear the "C".

"It really helped me understand what it takes to be in that captain role," Tavares said. "Talking with Mark [Streit] all the time, the coaching staff, watching him address the team, it really helped the transition because now I feel there is not much change, I just kind of grow into being captain."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Nice article on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Four years from now, when Andrew Ference's contract is expiring and he's entering the sunset of a successful NHL career, the Edmonton Oilers should have a desirable list of candidates to be their next captain as long as Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins pay attention the way John Tavares did on Long Island for the past two seasons.

Tavares noticed Edmonton coach Dallas Eakins' choice of Ference as captain over Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins. He nods in approval because he understands what a few extra years can mean to a young player with the potential to be a superstar and the pressure to turn into a leader.

Tavares could have been named the Islanders captain two years ago, when he signed his six-year contract extension, but he wasn't ready for the responsibility. The Islanders instead stitched a "C" on Mark Streit's sweater and gave Tavares the "A".

"It just gave me more time," Tavares said. "There was still a lot of growth and maturity needed in my game and as a person."

The Oilers appear to be using a similar model for their leadership depth, choosing Ference, who joined the team only five months ago, over one of their budding stars.

"There were lots of guys that we were considering, but every time as soon as we got into the conversations, whether it was with coaches or players, we always went right back to the same guy and it was Andrew," Eakins said. "He's the right guy for this team, to carry the weight of that letter."

Three games into his captaincy and his fifth NHL season, Tavares is confident in talking about himself as the right guy for the Islanders. He shows how prepared he is for the captaincy every day.

"I've seen his personality really open up," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said.

His voice is louder and his words are heavier. He's still reserved, but he's no longer shy about addressing the team.

"He doesn't talk and say nothing," Capuano said. "When he speaks it's obviously got a lot of value and guys listen."

Tavares was living in Islanders assistant coach Doug Weight's guest house two years ago; now he's welcoming teammates into his home. Colin McDonald moved in with Tavares last season before he knew if he would stay with the Islanders. He still lives there today.

"Although I've always believed captain is just a letter on your shirt, you're not going to change who you are, there are going to be instances that you're going to be demanded to do more things, you're going to have to step up and not necessarily control the room but be part of the room, be part of the voice," Weight told NHL.com. "That wasn't Johnnie's complete comfort zone [two years ago].

"He needed to work on some things. I think the whole League knows he did."

Hall, Eberle, Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins do too. They're in their early-to-mid 20s, just starting out in the NHL.

Since Ference is signed through the 2016-17 season, they have time to turn themselves into complete players while helping the Oilers become a complete team. Tavares would be the first to tell them to use the time wisely. At least one of them will figure out why when the time comes for him to wear the "C".

"It really helped me understand what it takes to be in that captain role," Tavares said. "Talking with Mark [Streit] all the time, the coaching staff, watching him address the team, it really helped the transition because now I feel there is not much change, I just kind of grow into being captain."
    I don't think its an exaggeration to say that JT literally saved the Islanders. If it weren't for him, there's a fair to good chance that this team is in Quebec in two years.

He truly deserves rock star fame but I wonder if he walks around the Island without ANYONE recognizing him. The dude is barely 23. Unreal.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And just to touch on the Edmonton cats....is it possible that they have too much young talent? With those guys (plus Yakupov), it doesn't allow for anyone to truly develop as the leader of the pack. Now, I'm not suggesting I wouldn't want those guys as a group on my team, but there's something to be said for having a superstar like JT and then building around him.

You obviously want to build talent around him but there is no question who's team this is....here in 2013. I'm not sure you could give the C to Hall, Eberle or Gagner because it was alienate the other guys.

Also, Edmonton seems to be a collection of young talent rather than a team. OTOH, the Isles look to be becoming a well oiled machine most evidenced by the Grabs to Bailey to Nielsen to Bailey beauty last night. I think the Yotes are still looking for that puck.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick note on the prospects. Kirill Kabanov was demoted to Siberia today AKA the ECHL. Ouch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    last night's game was in standard definition - unfrigging watchable. it didn't look like TV from ten years ago, it looked like the quality of a Harry Truman state of the nation speech.

maybe it's my TV - holy crap.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    last night's game was in standard definition - unfrigging watchable. it didn't look like TV from ten years ago, it looked like the quality of a Harry Truman state of the nation speech.

Fios had it in HD.

When was the last time the Islanders looked lethargic winning a 6-1 blow-out? Mid-1980s?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

You were warned. On Directtv I get 4 feeds per game, both in Sd, and both in HD. Can't wait till we play Ottawa and get to hear Potvin calling the game. He still bleeds Isles Orange and Blue.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Fios had it in HD.

When was the last time the Islanders looked lethargic winning a 6-1 blow-out? Mid-1980s?
    I'm glad I was not the only one that felt this way. Big game friday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    So where does Clutterbuck slide in on Friday? PMB probably sits, no?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I would expect. Either him or Nelson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you already know how I feel.

Just something to chew on. I'd like to see Nelson centering the third line with PMB and Cal on the wings. Regin to the box. Doubt it happens that way, but that is what I would like. Nelson just screams center to me.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So where does Clutterbuck slide in on Friday?
    Top line?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Thats what I would expect. Either him or Nelson.
    You going to the game tonight?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You going to the game tonight?
    Yes, I am. Really looking forward to this one - been a few years since the Isles have been here in Chicago. Hopefully they will take it to the champs. I will be going with my son who is a Hawks fan - this is the only time that we go to a sporting event and are on opposite sides -- gonna be a little strange. At least I got him hooked on the Jets before we left NY, so I am not a total failure as a dad.