Page 9 of 94 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Tying goal was pretty much on Hickey but Nabby could have had it. Winning goal was a slapshot from just inside the blue line. A real blast but Nabby has to stop it. From what I saw, Nashville had the better of the play. Face offs especially.

I would start Cark over Hickey....I fear for his safety sometimes.
    Sounds like all of our waiver pick-ups are showing their true colors. Finley....Ahl. Strait, disappointment and signed a decent deal. Hickey.....I didn't mind the resigning at the time, but I thought he would be a 7/8, not a 3/4. Aucoin....gone.

Now with Garth signing PMB and Regin, Ugh....he should really stick to the draft.

We got six of the next seven at home. I hope Cappy figures out these lines but I doubt it. Guy needs too make minimal tweaks and he changes BOTH forwards.

Irrational rant over. Go Isles!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Missed most of the game but caught the end. Looks like they had a lot of problems in the neutral zone and Cappy.....when he finally makes a line change goes all gung-ho. I'm curious as to when he blew up the lines.

Any other insight.
    Had problems in the neutral zone and the defensive zone. All the lines couldn't maintain a rush with even minimal fore-checking from the opposition's defense. Got so ugly I quit watching after the first period. But it was still better than yesterday. Glad it's still early in the season so that mistakes might be correctable. Getting tired of the "dump the puck in and fight for possession" philosophy. Would much prefer quick, crisp, clean passing to gain the offensive zone.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    Had problems in the neutral zone and the defensive zone. All the lines couldn't maintain a rush with even minimal fore-checking from the opposition's defense. Got so ugly I quit watching after the first period. But it was still better than yesterday. Glad it's still early in the season so that mistakes might be correctable. Getting tired of the "dump the puck in and fight for possession" philosophy. Would much prefer quick, crisp, clean passing to gain the offensive zone.

You would think that would be much more conducive to our current talent. It's Cappy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you see the Donovan kid against Chicago that the team is supposed to be so high on? He looked like he could barely skate or use his stick, whiffed on a pass which led to a giveaway, then got manhandled in front of the crease which led to a goal. And I think that all happened on one shift!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You would think that would be much more conducive to our current talent. It's Cappy.
    I know that's Cappy's preference but I've been less than impressed by the stick-handling and skating of the team in general thus far. Against the Blackhawks yesterday, there were a lot of whiffs on passes, pucks skipping off the sticks, and the team also looked like they were stuck in quicksand compared with Chicago. KO even just fell down with no one around him. It was ugly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you see the Donovan kid against Chicago that the team is supposed to be so high on? He looked like he could barely skate or use his stick, whiffed on a pass which led to a giveaway, then got manhandled in front of the crease which led to a goal. And I think that all happened on one shift!
    I'll admit I get over reactionary over these games but hopefully Donovan is part of the solution. He's a rook that dominated the AHL for two years and brings a much needed offense to our blueline. Lets give him some time.....since he's earned it so far.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know that's Cappy's preference but I've been less than impressed by the stick-handling and skating of the team in general thus far. Against the Blackhawks yesterday, there were a lot of whiffs on passes, pucks skipping off the sticks, and the team also looked like they were stuck in quicksand compared with Chicago. KO even just fell down with no one around him. It was ugly.
    I'm not sure how long you have been watching the Isles, but that is par for the course. Just wait till February

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll admit I get over reactionary over these games but hopefully Donovan is part of the solution. He's a rook that dominated the AHL for two years and brings a much needed offense to our blueline. Lets give him some time.....since he's earned it so far.
    It would be a lot easier to break in a rook when at least one of your lines and defensive pairings is clicking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how long you have been watching the Isles, but that is par for the course. Just wait till February
    Fan since the dynasty years. Almost lost interest in hockey completely b/c the team struggled for so long. Yup, hoping for good things.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grumble grumble grumble.....Nabakov...grumble grumble grumble....30 footers...grumble grumble grumble....son uv a......grumble grumble grumble....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like all of our waiver pick-ups are showing their true colors. Finley....Ahl. Strait, disappointment and signed a decent deal. Hickey.....I didn't mind the resigning at the time, but I thought he would be a 7/8, not a 3/4. Aucoin....gone.

Now with Garth signing PMB and Regin, Ugh....he should really stick to the draft.

We got six of the next seven at home. I hope Cappy figures out these lines but I doubt it. Guy needs too make minimal tweaks and he changes BOTH forwards.

Irrational rant over. Go Isles!
    The one thing ill disagree with is about Strait. He's been pretty solid especially when having to cover for Donovan occasionally. Not flashy but he's been pretty decent.

And no problem with Regin so far. I didn't see much of the game yesterday but didn't notice cal C. All that much.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Missed most of the game but caught the end. Looks like they had a lot of problems in the neutral zone and Cappy.....when he finally makes a line change goes all gung-ho. I'm curious as to when he blew up the lines.

Any other insight.
    Cappy blew up the lines about midway through the 2nd and it seemed to work at the time. Got the two goals just after he shook things up. But man, you cant give up a 30 footer and a 60 footer with no traffic in front of the net. And how about generating some offense. Last 2 games we have a total of 35 shots - an average of less than 6 shots a period is not gonna win many games. After 5 games we are dead last in the NHL averaging less than 24 shots per game. Last season we averaged 31. This team is not built to dump and chase, but there was an awful lot of that these past two games since we can't seem to control the puck through the neutral zone. And when are be going to win a big face off. We were probably about 40% these past two games.

Frustrating couple of nights. I know its early, and I expect them to play better. I guess I just needed to vent a little.
    Last edited by Lithfan; 10-13-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Cappy blew up the lines about midway through the 2nd and it seemed to work at the time. Got the two goals just after he shook things up. But man, you cant give up a 30 footer and a 60 footer with no traffic in front of the net. And how about generating some offense. Last 2 games we have a total of 35 shots - an average of less than 6 shots a period is not gonna win many games. After 5 games we are dead last in the NHL averaging less than 24 shots per game. Last season we averaged 31. This team is not built to dump and chase, but there was an awful lot of that these past two games since we can't seem to control the puck through the neutral zone. And when are be going to win a big face off. We were probably about 40% these past two games.

Frustrating couple of nights. I know its early, and I expect them to play better. I guess I just needed to vent a little.
    Offense has looked off since third period of Columbus game. They scored big time in Coyotes game, but even then, they didn't look like the speedy crisp passers of last year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing ill disagree with is about Strait. He's been pretty solid especially when having to cover for Donovan occasionally. Not flashy but he's been pretty decent.

And no problem with Regin so far. I didn't see much of the game yesterday but didn't notice cal C. All that much.
    I'll agree to disagree about Strait. He is nothing more than mediocre and that is why he was a waiver pick-up. The problem is our whole D corp is so lackluster it makes Strait look mediocre, when on top teams he would either be waived or sit in the box every night.

Like Iv'e said before....I wish I could hit the fast forward button.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Islanders thread rules if for no other reason than not putting the stupid year and (*******) at the front of the thread title.

Suck it Ranger Fan thread. Eat it Devil Thread. Effing conformists!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The Islanders thread rules if for no other reason than not putting the stupid year and (*******) at the front of the thread title.

If you think Big L doesn't think about things like this, you are sorely mistaken. Its the little things.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Buffalo is now 0-6-1....they obviously have to win one at some point. Lets hope tonight is not the night!

Would be nice to see the Isles come out and dominate a team down on its luck. It never works that way though, does it?

Carkner in and Donovan out (should be Hickey, IMO, but whatever). PMB in and someone else out....my guess is Brock, which is irritating.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buffalo is now 0-6-1....they obviously have to win one at some point. Lets hope tonight is not the night!

Would be nice to see the Isles come out and dominate a team down on its luck. It never works that way though, does it?

Carkner in and Donovan out (should be Hickey, IMO, but whatever). PMB in and someone else out....my guess is Brock, which is irritating.

Cappy at his finest, both Nelson and Donovan out. And like you said, I have no problem with Carkner in, but it should be Hickey riding the pine. Now we have ONE Dman in the line-up that can bring some offense in Viz.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

If you think Big L doesn't think about things like this, you are sorely mistaken. Its the little things.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't say that they really need this game when it is only game 6 out of 80, but as a fan, I need this game. What a miserable sports weekend this was. Isles drop 2, the Jets lay an egg, Brady's last minute heroics.

I need a win tonight.