Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I got about 80 regular season games to watch beginning in about 2 weeks. I guess I will get over the disappointment of missing a split squad preseason game.

All League
    We even have announcers for this period.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    It's only a preseason game and the Isles always get shafted on TV so you're really not missing much, but it's fun. Thanks for the roster but it doesn't have numbers. I've searched high and low and can't find the numbers. Which is so important without any announcers.
    I got about 80 regular season games to watch beginning in about 2 weeks. I guess I will get over the disappointment of missing a split squad preseason game.
    It still sucks that the Isles are on the same Network as the Rags and the Devils and yet they somehow don't have any of their pre-season games televised. I saw on the Cable Guide on one of the MSG channels listing "NHL Hockey" and got excited for a second only to come back to reality.

I read somewhere that in the beginning of camp, Hamonic was being paired with Brian Strait - that seemed odd. The pairings looked like this:

Strait - Hamonic
    Hickey - Lubo
    AMac - Carkner

Perhaps thats just Cappy playing with the lines and doesn't account for Donovan's almost certain ascension to the lineup (the new guys were all put in 'Group B') but I thought it was interesting that AMac was demoted in some ways. As he's a FA after this year, it may have been intentional.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It still sucks that the Isles are on the same Network as the Rags and the Devils and yet they somehow don't have any of their pre-season games televised. I saw on the Cable Guide on one of the MSG channels listing "NHL Hockey" and got excited for a second only to come back to reality.

I read somewhere that in the beginning of camp, Hamonic was being paired with Brian Strait - that seemed odd. The pairings looked like this:

Strait - Hamonic
    Hickey - Lubo
    AMac - Carkner

Perhaps thats just Cappy playing with the lines and doesn't account for Donovan's almost certain ascension to the lineup (the new guys were all put in 'Group B') but I thought it was interesting that AMac was demoted in some ways. As he's a FA after this year, it may have been intentional.
    It looks like Amac might be brought down to the third pairing with Carkner/ Donovan. About time

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It looks like Amac might be brought down to the third pairing with Carkner/ Donovan. About time
    Well, he's certainly not truly a 1st pairing guy, but I'm not sure that Strait is either. I liked splitting up Strait/Hamo/Cark on separate lines because it at least gave a little bit of a physical presence on each defense pairing.

Can you envision Lubo and Hickey out there together trying to clear the crease? Neither can I.

All League
    Clutterbuck out for extended time after suffering skate laceration. Anyone see what happened, where'd he get cut?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

New York Islanders coach Jack Capuano said offseason addition Cal Clutterbuck "will miss some extended time" after suffering a skate laceration in a preseason game on Tuesday, according to a Newsday report.

Clutterbuck left the game against the Calgary Flames early in the third period after apparently suffering the injury while delivering a check.

The Islanders acquired the 25-year-old forward from the Minnesota Wild at the 2013 NHL Draft in exchange for prospect Nino Niederreiter. A restricted free agent at the time, Clutterbuck signed a four-year contract with the Islanders.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Clutterbuck out for extended time after suffering skate laceration. Anyone see what happened, where'd he get cut?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads
    Pretty sure it was the thigh area. Unfortunate but it opens a roster spot for one of the youngsters too at least start out on the Isles,

All League
    Well, he's certainly not truly a 1st pairing guy, but I'm not sure that Strait is either. I liked splitting up Strait/Hamo/Cark on separate lines because it at least gave a little bit of a physical presence on each defense pairing.

Can you envision Lubo and Hickey out there together trying to clear the crease? Neither can I.
    I'm not a big fan of Strait either. I mean he WAS a waiver pick-up last year and now they are trying to slot him as a number one pairing. Lubo and Hickey are a couple of midgets out there but they did play well when paired together last year. Nothing great but not horrendous.

I really wish this Isles team was on my DVR menu......so I could hit fast forward.

All League
    Game is streaming again on the Isles site. Big time goon line-up tonight.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Pretty sure it was the thigh area. Unfortunate but it opens a roster spot for one of the youngsters too at least start out on the Isles,
    Staples said it looks like 4-6 weeks. Not great but not terrible. Will definitely give one of the younger guys a chance though. Regin seems like he's playing well, so it'll be interesting to see which of Brock or Ryan sticks with the big club....or both.

Game is streaming again on the Isles site. Big time goon line-up tonight.
    Didn't watch the game but caught the quick recap - 5 fights, 3 of them Gallant v. Barch. Nice to see Gallant trying to make a name for himself whilst with the big club. This whole mandatory visor thing is really going to put a crimp in the fighting. Apparently you now get an extra minor if you willingly take off your helmet. How stupid is that?

Btw, I just checked and Gallant is listed as 6'0 174...not sure how this guy has dozens of AHL fights and still living to tell about it. He just fought Brian McGratton the other day, who is HUGE. I guess its not the size of the dog in the fight....bucking to be the next Michael Haley

All League
    Staples said it looks like 4-6 weeks. Not great but not terrible. Will definitely give one of the younger guys a chance though. Regin seems like he's playing well, so it'll be interesting to see which of Brock or Ryan sticks with the big club....or both.

Didn't watch the game but caught the quick recap - 5 fights, 3 of them Gallant v. Barch. Nice to see Gallant trying to make a name for himself whilst with the big club. This whole mandatory visor thing is really going to put a crimp in the fighting. Apparently you now get an extra minor if you willingly take off your helmet. How stupid is that?

Btw, I just checked and Gallant is listed as 6'0 174...not sure how this guy has dozens of AHL fights and still living to tell about it. He just fought Brian McGratton the other day, who is HUGE. I guess its not the size of the dog in the fight....bucking to be the next Michael Haley
    I watched some of it and while it sucks Cal is out for 4-6 weeks this IMO puts Nelson on the club. He looks fantastic out there.....great positioning, a hog on the boards, and great speed and strength for someone his size. I'd like to see Strome make it but I'm not sure. Either way he will be with the club at some point during the season.

I believe it was the first fight, but they did something I have never seen before. Each guy took the others helmet off and then they started winging the fists. It was so odd too watch, because they were so calm before the fight, then Gallant gestures to take off each others helmet....then Bam. He is on the small side but he fights like an animal. Doesn't care if he gets hit, just kept throwing bombs.

The other good news is the young Dman looked good. Especially Griff and my boy Pedan. Very calm and collected out there. I didn't notice Pulock as much but Mayfield and Dalhuisen looked good also. It is SOOOO nice seeing those big bodies out there for a change.

Hall Of Fame
    I want to subscribe to a service to get all Islanders game. I just contacted my service provider - dish - and the woman I spoke with was no help. Would I do this through dish - or should I stream it off the internet with NHL.com. Does it help me or hurt me that I don't live in the NY home market. I seem to remember NY fans getting blacked out a while back because of a problem with Time Warner or something.

The Bruins are considered my home market team.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I want to subscribe to a service to get all Islanders game. I just contacted my service provider - dish - and the woman I spoke with was no help. Would I do this through dish - or should I stream it off the internet with NHL.com. Does it help me or hurt me that I don't live in the NY home market. I seem to remember NY fans getting blacked out a while back because of a problem with Time Warner or something.

It helps that you are out of market, just like I am. The only games in your case that would be blacked out would be the Bruins games but I'm assuming with your service you would get them anyway. I'm in the TB area and they only blackout the lightning games but they are televised on Sun sports here so I never miss a game.

The product you are looking for is called Center Ice and I believe all or if not most cable providers carry it. It is not exclusive like the sunday ticket is too directtv.

You could also use a streaming service like hockeystreams but I'm not familiar with that product.

All League
    Timmy this explains it better than I can.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26371

All Pro

I live in Chicago market and have been buying the Center Ice package for several years. I used to have Dish and was able to buy the package from them, it should still be available. Only games that were blacked out were when the Isles played the Blackhawks, but they were on local cable - I assume it will be the same for you when they play the Bruins.

Hall Of Fame
    I live in Chicago market and have been buying the Center Ice package for several years. I used to have Dish and was able to buy the package from them, it should still be available. Only games that were blacked out were when the Isles played the Blackhawks, but they were on local cable - I assume it will be the same for you when they play the Bruins.
    Thanks Rob and Lith

How is the picture quality on Center Ice Lith?

All Pro
    Thanks Rob and Lith

How is the picture quality on Center Ice Lith?
    Picture quality is good if the game is in HD. Comcast usually only has 2 or 3 games a night in HD. Standard def is not so hot, but it is better than not watching at all.

All Pro
    I agree, It sucks having the Islanders on the same network as the Rangers, which are both owned by the Dolan's. If the YES Network is smart they'll pick up the Islanders when they move to Brooklyn. I don't see the Russian or Ratner letting MSG into their Building to do Islander games.

They could have shown the game on MSG tonight. I bet Jimmy boy Dolan didn't want the attention on the Barclay's Center.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 09-21-2013 at 11:21 PM.

All League
    Picture quality is good if the game is in HD. Comcast usually only has 2 or 3 games a night in HD. Standard def is not so hot, but it is better than not watching at all.
    For Timmy. I know you have dish and I have no idea what product they will show. But for comparison I had brighthouse networks this past year which is the local cable company. Some games that were broadcast in SD were almost unwatchable, but they were very rare and only limited to the beginning of the season. On the other hand my brother had Directv and not only was every game in HD but for most games you had the choice of announcers.

I did complain to my cable provider and eventually all were in HD and they gave me enough credits to make the CI package last year almost free.

Overall you can't beat it but your viewing pleasure will ultimately come down too your provider, even though it is the same product. I switched back to directtv this year.

All League
    It's time to abandon the 1996 Isles jersey and upgrade to a new one.

Where's a good place to get jerseys, besides NHL.com?