Page 19 of 94 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

Veteran
    Best game of the season. Great game by Poulin, he was like a vacuum out there regarding rebounds. If he don't start next game, well you know, I'm gonna lose it.

Good game by the D. Carkner with another solid game and Donovan has strung together some great performances. If it wasn't for injuries Donovan would be riding the pine and we would never see his development... and improvement.

Crash, you picked a cherry of a game to attend. I'm a bit jealous living down here in the swamp and I need to make that trip up north for a game. WAY TOO MANY CHOWDS at the game.

All League
    Agree. Great game tonight.

I would love to see Poulin out there again on Tuesday night - he has earned the right to get more playing time. Also got to see some of what Vanek brings to the team. It should be a lot of fun to watch him and Tavares as they develop chemistry.

And Crash - if this one doesn't make your nephew an Islander fan, I dont know what will - must have been a blast to have been there tonight.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post

I would love to see Poulin out there again on Tuesday night - he has earned the right to get more playing time. Also got to see some of what Vanek brings to the team. It should be a lot of fun to watch him and Tavares as they develop chemistry.

And Crash - if this one doesn't make your nephew an Islander fan, I dont know what will - must have been a blast to have been there tonight.

You think Cappy starts him on tuesday? I don't, but I would love too be wrong.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    You think Cappy starts him on tuesday? I don't, but I would love too be wrong.
    Do I think Cappy should start Poulin on Tuesday, yes.

Do I think Cappy will start him, no I don't.

But after Nabakov was so bad last night, how can you not try to ride a hot hand. Poulin was strong in the net tonight and should be out there on Tuesday, but like you, I will believe it when I see it. Any way, great game, great win. Four point in two nights, lets enjoy it for now and worry about Tuesday on Tuesday.

Veteran
    Do I think Cappy should start Poulin on Tuesday, yes.

Do I think Cappy will start him, no I don't.

But after Nabakov was so bad last night, how can you not try to ride a hot hand. Poulin was strong in the net tonight and should be out there on Tuesday, but like you, I will believe it when I see it. Any way, great game, great win. Four point in two nights, lets enjoy it for now and worry about Tuesday on Tuesday.
    It seems like most of the posters here in this subsection are on the same page. It is like the bizzaro Seinfeld episode compared to the strip. I never thought I could say this so much, but I agree 100%.

And you're right. Lets enjoy this well deserved two tonight. Kick ass game and I hope the Isle players enjoy it as much as I will. Best game to date IMO and it was nice to see Poulin control and absorb his rebounds for the most part.

Go Isles!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Best game of the season. Great game by Poulin, he was like a vacuum out there regarding rebounds. If he don't start next game, well you know, I'm gonna lose it.

Good game by the D. Carkner with another solid game and Donovan has strung together some great performances. If it wasn't for injuries Donovan would be riding the pine and we would never see his development... and improvement.

Crash, you picked a cherry of a game to attend. I'm a bit jealous living down here in the swamp and I need to make that trip up north for a game. WAY TOO MANY CHOWDS at the game.

It was great - the scoreboard thing worked great and it was a terrific all around performance. It's funny - the dude in front of me hated Carkner and was all ready to give him a hard time but he really was very good tonight. I don't recall any defensive breakdowns really.

Easily the most complete game of the season. Should have been about 6-0.

And I'm usually a big proponent of having Boulton in games like this, but Im glad Cappy resisted. The boys held their own and having Brock was much better than having 4 minutes of Boulton. Interestingly, it seemed like Thorton had no interest in going with Carkner.

Agreed about the Chowds, but I guess that's what happens on Saturday games against teams close by.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Should have been about 6-0.
    Didn't see the game and have not seen OchoCinco play yet. Was he was half-decent? Or were there other reasons besides the B's back-up goalie that the Isles didn't put more points on the board?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Didn't see the game and have not seen OchoCinco play yet. Was he was half-decent? Or were there other reasons besides the B's back-up goalie that the Isles didn't put more points on the board?
    I thought Johnson played okay -- not great, but okay. He let up one soft goal - the Tavares goal - Vanek swiped at the puck backhanded and it knuckled over Johnson's shoulder where Tavares knocked it in out of mid-air. Second goal was a McDonald slapshot from the point, was kind of hard to tell if he was screened, but there some traffic in front, so I would give him a pass on that one. 3rd goal was a one-timer from Vanek off of a 2 on 1 - can't blame the goalie on that one. I thought he played well enough to keep the Bruins in a game where they were outplayed. Bruins also had a bit of bad luck, missed the net a couple of times with Poulin out of position on scrambles in front of the net in the power play.

Isles were the better team last night - outhit the Bruins, outshot the Bruins, took care of the puck better and generated more opportunities.

Hall Of Fame
    Poulin out of position on scrambles in front of the net in the power play.

at one point midway through the first period, he was down on the ice for a while, flopping around like a fish on a sidewalk.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    at one point midway through the first period, he was down on the ice for a while, flopping around like a fish on a sidewalk.
    Must have learned that from Nappy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    He was half decent at minimum. He made some nice stops and looked like he belonged.....for the most part. The JT goal was fluky, I wouldn't say it was totally his fault. Also stopped a couple of breakaways. He wasn't the reason they lost.

Bruins had their chances here and there but they were truly outplayed last night.

edit to add: the Isles missed the net with a tremendous number of shots as well. Its starting to become problematic. If you are a dman coming in on a 2 on 1, you NEED to hit the net, even if you don't hit the corner of it. Otherwise, the puck is going to come off the boards strong, and you are giving up an odd man rush. Butchie made that point on a Hickey 2 on 1 and it was a salient one (amid a morass of nonsense coming from him). Hamonic also can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn - Okposo either.

AMac's goal shows you that if you put it on net, good things happen. They had a 5-3 against Ottawa and for some reason they passed back and forth 5x and wouldn't let it go. Just shoot it!
    Last edited by crasherino; 11-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Veteran
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11h
    #Isles place Brian Strait (upper body) on IR retro to Oct. 24. No call-up as of yet.

I wonder if they bring up DeHaan with two of our Dmen now on IR.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11h
    #Isles place Brian Strait (upper body) on IR retro to Oct. 24. No call-up as of yet.

I wonder if they bring up DeHaan with two of our Dmen now on IR.
    If he's not going to play up here, I'd rather he get the reps n BP. They actually have put together 2 wins in a row.

All League
    Looks like its gonna be Nabakov again tonight. Was hoping Poulin would get another start after playing well on Saturday,but its not gonna happen - not tonight at least:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 13m
    Nabokov in goal, same skaters for #Isles tonight vs. Caps in DC.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 4m
    Capuano cited Nabokov's record vs. Caps -- 12-1-3 all time, 3-0-3 with #Isles. "You look at the history, Nabby's been good here," he

Veteran
    Looks like its gonna be Nabakov again tonight. Was hoping Poulin would get another start after playing well on Saturday,but its not gonna happen - not tonight at least:

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 13m
    Nabokov in goal, same skaters for #Isles tonight vs. Caps in DC.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 4m
    Capuano cited Nabokov's record vs. Caps -- 12-1-3 all time, 3-0-3 with #Isles. "You look at the history, Nabby's been good here," he
    Can't say we didn't see it coming. Lets hope Nabby steps it up tonight.

All League
    Can't say we didn't see it coming. Lets hope Nabby steps it up tonight.
    At least there is some logic to his decision based upon Nabby's success against the Caps. It's not like we have Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden
    sitting on the bench.

What it really comes down to, I really don't care who is in goal as long as the goalie plays well. Whether that's gonna be Poulin or Nabby or someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

All League
    At least there is some logic to his decision based upon Nabby's success against the Caps. It's not like we have Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden
    sitting on the bench.

What it really comes down to, I really don't care who is in goal as long as the goalie plays well. Whether that's gonna be Poulin or Nabby or someone else.

+1

After a nice 4 point weekend, I hope they bag another 2 tonight.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    +1

After a nice 4 point weekend, I hope they bag another 2 tonight.
    And what a great weekend it was:

4 points for the Isles.
    Big win for the Jets.
    And, my Georgia Bulldogs beat the Gators.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Veteran
    And what a great weekend it was:

4 points for the Isles.
    Big win for the Jets.
    And, my Georgia Bulldogs beat the Gators.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Actually it does. I nailed my football pool for the second time already this year and your Dawgs helped me out, but so did the Jets

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I understand it is way too early to focus too much on the standings, but a regulation win would provide some nice separation from the bottom 9 -- and 3 points clear of the current 8 spot (Caps).