Page 66 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1862

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Where else would one go to talk Islanders but a Jets message board?!

And I guess I need to apologize for being the only one on this board who thought the Vanek trade was awful.
    You were not the only one who thought the Vanek trade was awful. At the time, I thought we were giving up way too much -- I also thought we would be a playoff team in which case we would have kept him, probably got bounced in the first round of the playoffs, lost our two picks, Vanek would leave anyway and we would have had nothing to show for it except another series loss. In my twisted mind, the trade looks better now because we suck and can move him and recoup some of the assets we gave up. If the Vanek deal helps us upgrade the goalie or blue line and get back a pick or two, then it works out okay.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Big L---i would not have traded for Vanek either. I may be in the minority, but he looks like yashin 2.0. He looked like a product of JT. Okposo plays hard every night and I feel that JT's recent slide (if you can even call it that) is due to Vanek. Get an NHL ready prospect for him. Line up Brock or strome next to him. Go into the offseason and look at Heatley on the cheap. If you really want to go nuts, put Clutterbuck on JT's wing (they played on the same line in jr's) and go that way. Either or, you lose with vanek or lose without. Cappy and Garth are the issue, not the kids.
    I like the way you think, Jim.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    You were not the only one who thought the Vanek trade was awful. At the time, I thought we were giving up way too much -- I also thought we would be a playoff team in which case we would have kept him, probably got bounced in the first round of the playoffs, lost our two picks, Vanek would leave anyway and we would have had nothing to show for it except another series loss. In my twisted mind, the trade looks better now because we suck and can move him and recoup some of the assets we gave up. If the Vanek deal helps us upgrade the goalie or blue line and get back a pick or two, then it works out okay.
    But imagine if the vanek trade never happened, and garthy used the two picks for a goalie. Or the two picks and moulson for a goalie and a 3-4 D man. Bring up Strome or Lee in pace of Vanek.

That would have made some sense. Now we'll be lucky to get anything even close to what we gave up with Buffalo.

Sad, really. Garth should be fired, and so should Cappy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else looking forward to the break after tonight? I know I am. Another season, and another likely top 5 choice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    But imagine if the vanek trade never happened, and garthy used the two picks for a goalie. Or the two picks and moulson for a goalie and a 3-4 D man. Bring up Strome or Lee in pace of Vanek.

That would have made some sense. Now we'll be lucky to get anything even close to what we gave up with Buffalo.

Sad, really. Garth should be fired, and so should Cappy.
    I agree completely about Garth and Cappy.

My point about the Vanek deal is that since we have fallen out of contention, we now have the chance to move Vanek and get back prospects and undo the long term damage that this deal would have done had we kept Vanek through the season and then he walked. Contenders that are looking to trade want players that can help them win the cup -- not picks. The market for Vanek will be greater than it would have been for Moulson. I guess it all depends on what we can get back for Vanek.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Anyone else looking forward to the break after tonight? I know I am. Another season, and another likely top 5 choice.
    Yes, I am also looking forward to the break. I am also looking forward to Olympic hockey -- there is not much else about the Winter Olympics that excites me, but the hockey is usually a fun tournament to watch for a couple of weeks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks Vanek is very over-rated....if I see him put a puck in Tavares skates one more time...and his passes are very lazy and get picked off a lot.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks Vanek is very over-rated....if I see him put a puck in Tavares skates one more time...and his passes are very lazy and get picked off a lot.....
    I liked the Vanek trade but I always said with the caveat we re-sign him. Now since we are done we should get something comparable to what they gave up, and we had the chance too rent Vanek and entice him to stay long term. It didn't work out, it happens. Unfortunately more often than not for the Isles.

Our problem was not Vanek this year. When that first line was clicking for most of the way they were the best scoring line in the league. JT was having his best season ever as a pro and so was Okie. The problem was our D and Goaltending were atrocious and it was never addressed.

Oh....and that buffoon behind the bench.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    OT Did anyone watch some of the womens hockey game? I can't believe how competitive the game was and I'd sign Bozak for our blueline. Girl can hit, skate, and has a helluva shot. Maybe she could replace Amac or Hickey.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    OT Did anyone watch some of the womens hockey game? I can't believe how competitive the game was and I'd sign Bozak for our blueline. Girl can hit, skate, and has a helluva shot. Maybe she could replace Amac or Hickey.
    Ha, didn't see the game, but im sure they played with more passion and grit then the Isles do tonight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the roster freeze also include coaches?

and GMs?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the roster freeze also include coaches?

and GMs?
    Does it matter?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, didn't see the game, but im sure they played with more passion and grit then the Isles do tonight.
    Serious note. Watch one of the ladies game. I couldn't believe how skilled they were and competitive. They even showed clips from a USA vs. Canada brawl last year.

Now please shoot me and delete this post going forward.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it matter?
    Since there's no accountability in this organization, then no, it doesn't matter. We'll see Cappy back in 2 weeks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Serious note. Watch one of the ladies game. I couldn't believe how skilled they were and competitive. They even showed clips from a USA vs. Canada brawl last year.

Now please shoot me and delete this post going forward.
    I've seen some local ladies teams play. These gals are definitely competitive, and feisty. I was shocked and impressed at the same time.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since there's no accountability in this organization, then no, it doesn't matter. We'll see Cappy back for the next two years.
    Fixed for accuracy. Us Isle fans need this break.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, true.

I have no problem with this - the Olympics are much more entertaining than then Isles.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen some local ladies teams play. These gals are definitely competitive, and feisty. I was shocked and impressed at the same time.
    Long story short. Tried hooking up with some gal around 20+ years ago. She played hockey and invited me to watch one of her games. I believe it was probably an under 21 type league and it was brutal. Reminded me of 4 year olds playing T Ball and running to the wrong base.

Never hooked up in the end, so it was a waste on many fronts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Isles began their break early -- like 7 or 8 games ago. And I would much rather watch women's hockey than the men's figure skating that NBCSports Network is airing right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I think the Isles began their break early -- like 7 or 8 games ago. And I would much rather watch women's hockey than the men's figure skating that NBCSports Network is airing right now.
    You think the team knew Vanek wasn't coming back before the public did? About, perhaps, 7 or 8 games ago? Hmmm?