Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1862

Thread: New York Islanders 2013-14

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think he meant the Devils could have played there if there was a problem with the Rock in the inaugral season.

Hopefully this is good news. Makes sense that its Prokherov. He's got billions, already has a team in the arena and presumably - as a Russian - is a hockey fan. Islanders can't be that expensive, right?
    Sorry guys! Not an english major but decent at math!

Yes--Devils were able to schedule games at Izod first year.

Having 2 state of the art arenas is better than having one. Again, what I am saying is hear-say, but the Gibson rumor looks pretty true.

I promise to the few Islander guys on here I report decent info, not speculation!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    Sorry guys! Not an english major but decent at math!

Yes--Devils were able to schedule games at Izod first year.

Having 2 state of the art arenas is better than having one. Again, what I am saying is hear-say, but the Gibson rumor looks pretty true.
    I promise to the few Islander guys on here I report decent info, not speculation!
    Wait, what Gibson rumor?

All League
    Anyone else still watching???

I know they are not going anywhere this season, but its been fun to watch. Over the last month, we have lost Tavares, Okposo, Vanek, Grabs, Viz, Amac & Strait (maybe one or two others I forgot). During last night's braodcast, they mentioned that our 18 active skaters had played fewer NHL games than just Elias and Jagr. Yet, they have points in 4 straight and are 7-5-2 since the Olympic break. It may be easier to play with no real pressure in the games, but still, this has been a fun team to watch. Lee looks like he will be a stud. Strome has been better since his recall. And guys like Martin & Mcdonald are playing at a different level. Not drawing any conclusions about what it means for next season, but this last month has been way better than I think any of us could have expected.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Over the last month, we have lost Tavares, Okposo, Vanek, Grabs, Viz, Amac & Strait (maybe one or two others I forgot). During last night's braodcast, they mentioned that our 18 active skaters had played fewer NHL games than just Elias and Jagr. Yet, they have points in 4 straight and are 7-5-2 since the Olympic break.

Would you expect anything else from the Islanders? They play great as underdogs and poop the bed when they are supposed to win. It's clearly mental.

Veteran
    The little kiddies are playing us right out of a better draft pick.....and that's a good thing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    The little kiddies are playing us right out of a better draft pick.....and that's a good thing.
    Every time we get to a shootout I have mixed emotions because we really don't need the extra point and the real part of the game is over anyway. But then Nelson slides a puck beautifully through the goalies pads and I'm psyched. I wouldn't mind if they ended up losing and got a top 3 pick but I can't be upset when these guys look good - especially with the number of kids out there.

Everyone has stepped up their game since the break. Up front at least. The blue is still ragged but that's without strait and Viz.

All League
    Every time we get to a shootout I have mixed emotions because we really don't need the extra point and the real part of the game is over anyway. But then Nelson slides a puck beautifully through the goalies pads and I'm psyched. I wouldn't mind if they ended up losing and got a top 3 pick but I can't be upset when these guys look good - especially with the number of kids out there.

Everyone has stepped up their game since the break. Up front at least. The blue is still ragged but that's without strait and Viz.
    I agree about hte need for the extrra point, but after hearing that the Devils had not won a shootout all season and had lost like 13 in a row going back to last year, I did not want to see the streak broken at the Isles expense. At this point in the season, its the little things that keep me watching.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I agree about hte need for the extrra point, but after hearing that the Devils had not won a shootout all season and had lost like 13 in a row going back to last year, I did not want to see the streak broken at the Isles expense. At this point in the season, its the little things that keep me watching.
    Haha....I had that emotion as well. Can't say I hate the Devils like I do the Rags, but I don't like to see them get the best of us. Especially after the last drubbing which I was lucky enough to bring my kids to.

Now I'm watching for the little things in these games. One of which is physical play. And its really nice to see the whole team taking the body - not just everyone waiting and watching Martin hit a guy (arguably) a second too late. It seems like across the board these guys are playing a more physical game and its nice to see.

And just as an aside, there was one time in the first period where Martin was legitimately taking liberties with some Devils and Clowe comes up, gives him a push and challenges him. I realize that that would be stepping outside his weight class a bit but if you're going to do what Martin does, I think you need to dropp'em there. Instead, he begged off but I didn't see him out there with the same vigor as before.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Wait, what Gibson rumor?
    Bump.

All League
    Wait, what Gibson rumor?
    We were talking about the rumored possible deal at the trade deadline for Gibson. Rumor was that Wang killed a potential deal for Gibson because he would not pay a portion of Vanek's salary going forward. No new rumors involving Gibson and the Isles that I am aware of.

Veteran
    We were talking about the rumored possible deal at the trade deadline for Gibson. Rumor was that Wang killed a potential deal for Gibson because he would not pay a portion of Vanek's salary going forward. No new rumors involving Gibson and the Isles that I am aware of.
    Yep, Jimmie brought it up and now that we are rehashing it, it makes me sick. We could of had our goalie for the future but instead we got Collberg all because of Wanger.

Any new news about Wang selling? TBH I've been a bit out of the loop concerning the Isles lately because the season is winding down.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Gotcha....didn't believe that rumor for a second, and still don't. While Wang should have taken some of Vanek's salary, $1m was not the difference between Sebastien Collberg and John Gibson. The story I believe about Gibson is that there was no chance in hell Anaheim was getting rid of him for a rental.

Veteran
    Gotcha....didn't believe that rumor for a second, and still don't. While Wang should have taken some of Vanek's salary, $1m was not the difference between Sebastien Collberg and John Gibson. The story I believe about Gibson is that there was no chance in hell Anaheim was getting rid of him for a rental.
    We will never know the truth but there were multiple reports that the Isles would not retain salary. And in the end Wang did not retain any salary which would have put many trade scenarios out of our reach.
    I'm sure there were many offers that surpassed what we received......until the old Wanger got involved.

All League
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about a month or so before the trade deadline that the Wanger group was about to default on a loan payment.

From a business standpoint, it seems rather prudent not to take on more debt if you can barely make your current debt payment. So I can see the Wanger saying "hell no" to taking some of Vaneks salary.

All League
    Yep, Jimmie brought it up and now that we are rehashing it, it makes me sick. We could of had our goalie for the future but instead we got Collberg all because of Wanger.

Any new news about Wang selling? TBH I've been a bit out of the loop concerning the Isles lately because the season is winding down.
    With the amount of time you are spending keeping the JI Draft moving, is it any wonder you are out of the loop on the Isles.

I did see this article in the Post today speculating on potential sale to Andrew Barroway from Philly - guy who made a play for the Devils a few years ago:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/30/brookly...rs-sale-talks/

The New York Islanders’ latest effort to find a buyer is getting a lift from the team’s new landlord in Brooklyn.

Owner Charles Wang is in talks to sell the money-losing NHL franchise to Philadelphia lawyer Andrew Barroway for $225 million, plus another $75 million if the Islanders hit certain revenue targets, The Post has learned.

While Wang has been open to a sale for several years, there has been limited interest in a team that lost more than $10 million in a single season and has among the lowest attendance in the league.

But this time could be different because of a revenue guarantee from Barclays Center, where the Islanders are set to start playing in 2015. In October 2012, the Islanders inked a long-term deal to move the team from Nassau County to Brooklyn.

The arena’s owners guaranteed the Islanders about $50 million in annual revenue for regular season games. Barclays would keep anything it collects in sponsorship, suite and ticket sales over that amount.

Bruce Ratner’s Forest City Ratner owns 55 percent of Barclays Center, while Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov owns 45 percent.

The move to Barclays Center is likely to boost attendance, but the owners still run the risk that the Islanders won’t fill enough seats. The Islanders don’t pay rent during the regular season, but they will if they make the playoffs, a source added.

The Sporting News first reported the sale talks, which Wang confirmed, on Friday but did not identify the potential suitor as Barroway.

Barclays and the Islanders declined to comment.

Veteran
    With the amount of time you are spending keeping the JI Draft moving, is it any wonder you are out of the loop on the Isles.

I did see this article in the Post today speculating on potential sale to Andrew Barroway from Philly - guy who made a play for the Devils a few years ago:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/30/brookly...rs-sale-talks/
    Thanks for the info.....and regarding the draft...never again, I don't know how 24 does it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Thanks for the info.....and regarding the draft...never again, I don't know how 24 does it.
    Haha....It was Ham's full time job. The guy prepared all year for it. Its no wonder he lost it.

Veteran
    Haha....It was Ham's full time job. The guy prepared all year for it. Its no wonder he lost it.
    I already started penning my manifesto.

Veteran
    Any thoughts on Persson? He looks like another big body, plays hard, good skills, and likes going in front of the net.

And have I been so far out of the loop too miss that Clutterbuck is wearing the "A". How can Martin be overshadowed for an "A" for a guy that has not even been on the roster for 1 year. Martin just got his third straight Nystrom.

All League
    Montreal clinched a playoff spot.