Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: de Blasio Wins NYC Mayor Primary/Both Spitzer & Weiner LOSE!

He's a democrat so I could care less. I really hope for the sake of this country that people start to see the importance of conservative values. That means voting republican.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    This is no joke...the city under Dinkns was a cesspool. Squegee men, piss smell subways, filth everywhere. The city was a shlthole until Giulianii arrived.
    You're not wrong, but the subways still smell like piss. And lots of other places, too. Even Giuliani couldn't fix that!

And It was a cesspool in the 80s too, before Dinkins took over. Violent crime has been declining since 1990, the year Dinkins was elected. I'm no Dinkins fan (I don't know of any, in fact), but in terms of crime, we were better off when he left than before he came. I think in spite of him, maybe, but still.

But I do think the blueprint was laid out, to a degree, with the quality of life crimes / broken windows stuff. Bratton himself said they were supposed to have, and were in need of, a conversion to a 'peace time' police force, so he didn't feel they needed the same kind of enforcement going forward. Giuliani clearly disagreed, though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    He's a democrat so I could care less. I really hope for the sake of this country that people start to see the importance of conservative values. That means voting republican.
    That depends on what you mean by "conservative values" - but even Republicans can't seem to agree on what that means these days, so I don't know how you think they're going to sway the independents.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    You're not wrong, but the subways still smell like piss. And lots of other places, too. Even Giuliani couldn't fix that!

And It was a cesspool in the 80s too, before Dinkins took over. Violent crime has been declining since 1990, the year Dinkins was elected. I'm no Dinkins fan (I don't know of any, in fact), but in terms of crime, we were better off when he left than before he came. I think in spite of him, maybe, but still.

But I do think the blueprint was laid out, to a degree, with the quality of life crimes / broken windows stuff. Bratton himself said they were supposed to have, and were in need of, a conversion to a 'peace time' police force, so he didn't feel they needed the same kind of enforcement going forward. Giuliani clearly disagreed, though.
    Its a lot easier to say that De Blasio is a liberal as was Dinkins ergo the city will revert back to the squeegees and crime we had in the 80s. I suppose the crack epidemic will return as well. Thanks to De Blasio and his cronies.

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post

I am going off memory. I worked in the citicorp bldg at 53rd and 3rd and had clients all over the city so I "subwayed it" a lot. Penn Station was a $hitty cespool as were many other stops. When Giulianni was elected..it seemed to me much of that changed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I am going off memory. I worked in the citicorp bldg at 53rd and 3rd and had clients all over the city so I "subwayed it" a lot. Penn Station was a $hitty cespool as were many other stops. When Giulianni was elected..it seemed to me much of that changed.
    A lot of things changed around the time Giuliani came into office. I certainly give him his due, but its not like eviscerating the squeegee all of a sudden changed the socio-economic climate of NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    A lot of things changed around the time Giuliani came into office. I certainly give him his due, but its not like eviscerating the squeegee all of a sudden changed the socio-economic climate of NYC.
    LMAO! Well done. I hated the squegee guys. Would drive in over the 59th st bridge and they would POUNCE on you at the East side lights.

Hall Of Fame
    If you look at the elimination of the squeegee guys and the cleaning up of Times Square, it all led to an improved perception of the city and did in fact bring in more tourism dollars and business to the city.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If you look at the elimination of the squeegee guys and the cleaning up of Times Square, it all led to an improved perception of the city and did in fact bring in more tourism dollars and business to the city.
    Jimmy Breslin once said, "I'll take the hookers over Disney any day of the week." I work a stone's throw away (and live not too far beyond that). I'm still debating it.

But I have no wish to engage in a referendum of Giuliani's mayoral legacy....my only point is to say that De Blasio turning the city back to where it was in the 80s simply because he's a liberal, that's just silly. Reforming the protocol concerning SQF will not revert crime figures back to the 80s.

And if you are worried about my taxes, thank you - I appreciate it.

Hall Of Fame
    Jimmy Breslin once said, "I'll take the hookers over Disney any day of the week." I work a stone's throw away (and live not too far beyond that). I'm still debating it.

But I have no wish to engage in a referendum of Giuliani's mayoral legacy....my only point is to say that De Blasio turning the city back to where it was in the 80s simply because he's a liberal, that's just silly. Reforming the protocol concerning SQF will not revert crime figures back to the 80s.

And if you are worried about my taxes, thank you - I appreciate it.
    I agree, things wont revert back to how bad they were in the 80s. What is the top city income tax rate up to now? 3.85% ??

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree, things wont revert back to how bad they were in the 80s. What is the top city income tax rate up to now? 3.85% ??
    70s and 80s were the darkest period in the history of NY. People want to blame so-called "liberalism" - it was really the republican war on drugs that turned NYC into a warzone those years. Not a coincidence NYC, which has largely a financial, service and creativity based economy, bounced back in the 90's after the Reagan administration disassembled the American Industrial and Manufacturing economy thus destroying mid-western cities like Detroit and Cleveland. All the industry-based cities fell apart and jobs moved to China and Mexico while the jobs corporations couldn't export like finance and legal went to NY at least for about 10 years until 2008.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    70s and 80s were the darkest period in the history of NY.
    LOL... not even close. Top 5 though.

Conservative values are: Not spending more then you take in, cutting subsidies. For all companies, having a tax law where everyone pays in,dumping the NSA, Dept. of Education, Cutting the of power of multiple no elected officials. Oops staying out of foreign engagements.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

....my only point is to say that De Blasio turning the city back to where it was in the 80s simply because he's a liberal, that's just silly. Reforming the protocol concerning SQF will not revert crime figures back to the 80s.
    No one said DeBlasio is turning the city back into 80's because he is a liberal, Crash; He simply has no grasp of what it takes to police the city (if saving young minority lives is the standard..apparently, its not)... As regarding the SQF protocols, Deblasio hasnt even won the election yet and the guns (that were always out there, just hidded because of a pro-active Police presence) are coming back. Read the shooting stats I've posted in this forum. Its a perfect storm of short memories, A new mayor being swept in on the power of the "fro" and the city council and Fed. Judge SHeindlin virtually outlawing sqf and de-balling the cops.

You know who is going to die by the hundreds during DeBlasio's tenure? Many of the "Fro's" who have the misfortune of not being Deblasio's poleez body-guarded "fro".

Mayoral front-runner Bill de Blasio today backtracked on his claim that he is a “fiscal conservative,” saying that he should have dubbed himself “fiscally responsible” instead.

He made the "fiscal conservative" remark during a speech yesterday in front of the organization Association for a Better New York.

Hall Of Fame
    Getting tired of seeing de Blasio parade/exploit his biracial kids. We get it Bill.

de Blasio was giving a speech a few days ago re: the 11 million illegal immigrants in the US. He wants a path to citizenship for them. I wonder if de Blasio is going to expand sanctuary city services for illegal immigrants in NYC.