Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE Offensive stategy

Jets Insider VIP

NE Offensive stategy

I came across this on the web and thought I'd post it. This is a Kelly type post. Any thoughts how to stop it.

Erhardt-Perkins offensive system[edit source | editbeta]

The Patriots run a modified "Ron Erhardt - Ray Perkins" offensive system[1] installed by Charlie Weis under Bill Belichick. Both Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins served as offensive assistant coaches under the defensive minded Chuck Fairbanks while he was head coach of the Patriots in the 1970s.[1] This system is noted for its multiple formation and personnel grouping variations on a core number of base plays. Under this system, each formation and each play are separately numbered. Additional word descriptions further modify each play (see below for examples).

Running game[edit source | editbeta]
    The Erhardt - Perkins system has at times had a reputation (whether or not earned) of being a traditional smash mouth offense that maximizes a team's time of possession and does not as frequently call upon its running backs to serve as receivers.[2] Erhardt was famous for his adage, "throw to score, run to win."[3] This may have been especially true during the years Bill Parcells ran this system as the head coach of the New York Giants.[4] This system is thought to be particularly well suited for teams playing in harsh outdoor weather conditions of the northeast of the United States.[citation needed]

An example of a running play under this system is Zero, Ride Thirty-six. Zero sets the formation. Thirty indicates who will be the ball carrier running with the ball. Six indicates which hole between the offensive linemen the ball carrier will attempt to run through (see Offensive Nomenclature).[citation needed]

Passing game[edit source | editbeta]
    This offense often uses "the run to set up the pass" via play-action passing, faking the run in order to throw deep downfield when the defense is least expecting it. Despite its reputation, this system is not always a run first offense. Erhardt commonly ran the system in his later years spread wide open with multiple receivers (earning the moniker "Air Erhardt"), as NFL rules evolved to benefit the passing game. As a result of this influence, the Patriots will frequently run this offense with five potential receivers and an empty backfield should a favorable matchup present itself or as a function of available personnel. With the addition of Randy Moss and Wes Welker to the Patriots offense in 2007, the Patriots placed an emphasis on a wide open passing attack (with record setting results).[5] As rules of the NFL have loosened to favor the offense, the Patriots have increasingly adopted a wide open approach, to the point that they are often now thought of as a short pass first team. The Patriots have also made good extensive use of the non huddle offense to tire out defensive personnel and to disallow substitutions.

Weis states in his autobiography "No Excuses" that the first play that he called in Super Bowl XXXVI was: Zero Flood Slot Hat, Seventy-eight Shout Tosser. Zero is the base formation. Flood Slot Hat further modifies this formation to a set with one back in motion, two tight ends and two wide receivers (which is to say five potential receivers in total). Seventy-eight is the base play number, a three step drop play. Shout tells the three potential receivers on one side of the quarterback what routes they should run, while Tosser tells the other two potential receivers their patterns. During the actual game, Tom Brady threw the ball to Troy Brown for a twenty-one yard gain, seventeen of it after the catch.

link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Eng...fensive_system

How to stop it?
    Rex Ryan and that MONSTER of a D-Line.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    How to stop it?
    LOL, stop the run and the pass. I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    LOL, stop the run and the pass. I get it.
    Even better... Don't give Brady any time to pass at all!

Jets Insider VIP
    Even better... Don't give Brady any time to pass at all!
    He has arguably the best OL in football, and one of the fastest releases, and one of the best players ever. We need to cover the receivers like we did when Trufant shadowed Welker for the win in Foxboro three years ago

He has arguably the best OL in football, and one of the fastest releases, and one of the best players ever. We need to cover the receivers like we did when Trufant shadowed Welker for the win in Foxboro three years ago
    I don't think this is gonna be as big a challenge as it was in past years, but we'll see!

Rex built this D to stop them with all of the weapons they no longer have.

Real shame Coples is out still... I can't wait to see the mayhem with HIM in there too! And I'm not sold on the NE's line... Brady's been under some HEAT in every game that didn't involve a joint practice so far.

Don't care about the "pre-season" talk... That game against Detroit showed their weakness, and Buffalo confirmed it. You don't have 5 turnovers in the first quarter(?) if you're a top tier team.

How to stop it?
    Exactly, so how does NE respond to this? They run hurry up a lot of the game. Keep the Jets in their base dline/LB package. Keep the 3rd down pass rushers off the field. Tire out our nose tackles on long fast drives. Don't allow the Jets d coaches to dial up exotic play calls because of the hurry up. Rex is a big factor in game planning and play calling if the other team allows us to substitute and react to down and distance. NE is not going to let us do that so Rex better be ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Exactly, so how does NE respond to this? They run hurry up a lot of the game. Keep the Jets in their base dline/LB package. Keep the 3rd down pass rushers off the field. Tire out our nose tackles on long fast drives. Don't allow the Jets d coaches to dial up exotic play calls because of the hurry up. Rex is a big factor in game planning and play calling if the other team allows us to substitute and react to down and distance. NE is not going to let us do that so Rex better be ready for it.
    They can try the hurry up... They better hope those rookies don't get called for false start on a regular basis though.
    I don't think they can effectively run it at this point... By the next meeting, they'll probably be much better at it.

I will be very surprised if they can pull it off though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    That no huddle killed us in preseason and exposed a giant weakness. Like you said Beerfish, I hope the Jets have an answer for it.

Rookie
    That no huddle killed us in preseason and exposed a giant weakness. Like you said Beerfish, I hope the Jets have an answer for it.
    BB knows the no huddle killed the Jets. Rex knows that BB knows that the no huddle killed him. BB knows that Rex knows that BB knows.

That's why they play the games

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    BB knows the no huddle killed the Jets. Rex knows that BB knows that the no huddle killed him. BB knows that Rex knows that BB knows.

That's why they play the games
    LOL

But WHAT did they know and WHEN did they know it?

All Pro
    The no-huddle is easily defeated in today's league. Just dial up a thigh cramp when you need to switch personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    The no-huddle is easily defeated in today's league. Just dial up a thigh cramp when you need to switch personnel.
    My thoughts exactly. Been seeing it an awful lot lately.

I expect to see a number of those however they are talking about getting tougher with that so I would not be surprised if the Jets are the 1st to feel the pinch. I predict we have to use at least 2-3 timeouts on defense this game because we are caught not ready or substituting.

All Pro
    My thoughts exactly. Been seeing it an awful lot lately.
    It's a shame. The league put a rule in place but it's completely unenforceable. See the Giants game for example. No huddle is a fun offense to watch as a fan (not so much if you play defense I guess) but it's going to be almost completely negated by fake injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    If you do not put pressure on Brady it becomes extremely difficult to beat him. You have to pressure him and hit him, if you do not you are not going to beat him.

I expect to see a LOT of cramping.

It's a shame. The league put a rule in place but it's completely unenforceable. See the Giants game for example. No huddle is a fun offense to watch as a fan (not so much if you play defense I guess) but it's going to be almost completely negated by fake injuries.
    Sadly ever team has done it so nobody can really piss and moan about it. The best suggestion I heard was a longer minimum number of plays for the player to be required to be off the field. Which means teams would likely put out the 53rd man to take a dive after the play is over but then you've got to deal with the fact that your 53rd man was out there on a play in what is probably a key situation. Not perfect but until we can do an instant x-ray and MRI to analyze someone's bone and muscle structure it might be better than what has been happening.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I'm dying today. It hot out 92 deg and I can't move. Hopefully tomorrow night it cools down a bit as the big guys will cramp up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Well if it's Brady's time of the month, he might pull up with a few himself