View Poll Results: Who comes out victorious?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jets

68 73.91%
  • Patriots

24 26.09%
Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: New York Jets (1-0) vs. New England Patriots (1-0) W2

OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: New York Jets (1-0) vs. New England Patriots (1-0) W2

==================================================

YOUR New York Jets! vs. New England Patriots

GENERAL INFORMATION

DATE/TIME: 9/12/2013 8:25 PM EDT

CHANNEL/NETWORK: NFL Network

TALE OF THE TAPE

GAME PREVIEW

After each team needed a late field goal to win their respective season openers, the New England Patriots and New York Jets are taking a more businesslike approach heading into the latest installment of a rivalry that has been one-sided of late.

Looking to extend their dominance within the AFC East, the Patriots try for a sixth consecutive regular-season win over the visiting Jets on Thursday night.

Trash-talking from both sides has often preceded matchups between these division rivals, and the image of New York quarterback Mark Sanchez fumbling into the behind of one of his own linemen during last season's 49-19 Thanksgiving night loss to New England is hard to forget. However, neither team has time to bring up the past or focus on anything other than preparing for this quick turnaround.

"It's Boston-New York," New England quarterback Tom Brady said. "It's going to be exciting. Hopefully, we can go out on a short week and win the game."

New England is riding an 11-game winning streak over East teams since a 34-31 loss at Buffalo on Sept. 25, 2011. The Patriots have won 12 consecutive division home games during the regular season since a 34-31 overtime defeat to the Jets on Nov. 13, 2008.

That is the only time in New York's last five regular-season trips to Foxborough that it has prevailed. Perhaps the biggest victory in coach Rex Ryan's tenure with the Jets, though, came at New England in the divisional playoffs following the 2010 season.

"If you want to win your division you have to beat (the Patriots)," Ryan said. "It's going to be a huge challenge without question."

Brady no longer has Wes Welker or Aaron Hernandez as targets and injuries continue to limit tight end Rob Gronkowski, but the Jets know the man they must stop is still on the field.

"Their team is different now," Ryan said. "But again, it's New England. It starts with Brady."

He's completed 67.6 percent of his passes and thrown 13 touchdowns with one interception during the five-game regular-season winning streak against the Jets.

Even with a new -- and in some cases less-experienced -- supporting cast, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels believes that success can continue.

"Tom has had a lot of games against this defense, a lot of games against coach Ryan's unit, and this is not going to be different in that regard," he said.

Brady was 29 of 52 for 288 yards with two touchdowns and an interception during Sunday's 23-21 win at Buffalo. He completed four passes to Danny Amendola for 26 yards and three to running back Shane Vereen for 10 on the drive that set up Stephen Gostkowski's 35-yard field goal with 5 seconds remaining.

Vereen rushed for 101 yards on 14 carries but will miss at least eight weeks after he broke a small bone in his left wrist. Amendola caught 10 passes for 104 yards, but is dealing with a groin injury and is uncertain to suit up Thursday.

Brady might again look to Julian Edelman, who had seven receptions for 79 yards and two TDs. Rookie Kenbrell Thompkins was targeted 14 times Sunday but caught four passes for 42 yards.

Running back Stevan Ridley likely will start after his playing time was cut following a second-quarter fumble. He ran for 97 yards and a TD on 21 attempts against the Jets on Thanksgiving.

"We know that there are some players on our offense that are gaining experience each week and that there are plenty of players on our offense that have plenty of experience already," McDaniels said. "Our standard is high. We want to play good offense and take care of the football and maintain our balance, score in the red zone and convert on third down.

"Those things are never going to change."

Though the Patriots have averaged 38.0 points and 419.2 yards in the last five regular-season meetings with New York, they could be in for a challenge against a Jets defense that held Tampa Bay to 250 total yards and three second-half points during Sunday's 18-17 win.

Buccaneers star Doug Martin managed 65 yards with a TD on 24 carries.

"We've just got to do our job week in and out," safety Dawan Landry said. "Every week's going to be a challenge. We're going to be up for it, though."

Hours after Geno Smith went 24 of 38 for 256 yards with a TD, interception and fumble in his NFL debut for the Jets, he was studying the Patriots on film.

"We're going to do our best to prepare ourselves, and we will be ready come Thursday night," said Smith, who took a late hit from Tampa Bay's Lavonte David that resulted in a penalty and set up Nick Folk's winning 48-yard field goal with 2 seconds left.

Smith ran for a team-high 47 yards on six carries, but New York needs more production from the tandem of Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory after they combined for 44 on 22 rushes.

New England allowed 136 yards on the ground to the Bills.

OFFICIAL WEEK 2 THEME SONG

J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

ENJOY THE GAME!

Jets Insider VIP
    GO JETS!!!!!!

Veteran
    I think Pats will win at Foxoboro. But I hope we'll win or at least it's closer than expected to show the media our collective middle finger.

Veteran
    I expect it to be a three point game or less. My feeling is that it could go either way ... should be great fun with the Jets front seven versus Brady.
    I have to think the Patriots manage at least one turnover , squeaking out a win. Rex Ryan is due a Patriots upset, here's hoping it's tonight.

Hall Of Fame
    Can't remember the last time I felt this good going into a NE game.

Strange considering that I feel this good with a rookie QB. ABS mode in full effect. LOL.

All League
    vegas keeping this spread in double digits really bothers me....i think ne covers what looks like a HUGE # with all their injuries.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    vegas keeping this spread in double digits really bothers me....i think ne covers what looks like a HUGE # with all their injuries.
    Strange but they are probably looking at the past victories and the Jets seldom win there.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Strange but they are probably looking at the past victories and the Jets seldom win there.
    It's a sucker bet.

if Geno can protect the ball then this will be a close game

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

One for the D......

All Pro
    CANT WAIT

Jets Insider VIP

One for the O......

All Pro
    Haven't been this excited for a Pats game since that time we got smoked in Metlife....the game in 2011 where a win would have put in 1st place for the division. I went to that game, and left disappointed......

I haven't felt this GOOD about a Jet win against the Pats since the 2010 playoff game....a game I knew we would win the whole week leading up to the game.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    LOL, the Jets need to have a few of these in our backfield.
    BTW, I flew on Blackhawks twice as a consultant. I'd love to go up in an Apache. Anybody that picks a fight with us has to revert to guerrilla warfare. We just have too much firepower.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    It's a sucker bet.
    I have a few thoughts on this. NE gets big lines because they are willing to run up a score when other teams might not be. But these days there is a lot of money going to the Pats and just as much going away from the Jets and a lot of that is emotional, not rational. That suggests to me that the line is bigger than it probably should be. I rarely bet (maybe once a year) but I'm dropping a token on this game. Line is down to 11 now but I'm still good there.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I have a few thoughts on this. NE gets big lines because they are willing to run up a score when other teams might not be. But these days there is a lot of money going to the Pats and just as much going away from the Jets and a lot of that is emotional, not rational. That suggests to me that the line is bigger than it probably should be. I rarely bet (maybe once a year) but I'm dropping a token on this game. Line is down to 11 now but I'm still good there.
    You know if they can they will.
    I hate to be sojf about this, but im not 100% sold on our secondary YET. Factor in Tom Brady into that, and it makes me queezy. 11 points is two flicks of his gay lil wrist.
    Pass rush will HAVE to be there tonight.
    Good luck with the scrilla.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pats are banged up and struggled against the lowly Bills last week. The Jets D is pretty good. The line makes no sense. Vegas is begging you to put money on the Jets meaning that they believe the pats are blowing out the Jets.

Eff Vegas, ill regret this at about midnight, but I am going with the Jets 24-20 over the Pats.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Pats are banged up and struggled against the lowly Bills last week. The Jets D is pretty good. The line makes no sense. Vegas is begging you to put money on the Jets meaning that they believe the pats are blowing out the Jets.

Eff Vegas, ill regret this at about midnight, but I am going with the Jets 24-20 over the Pats.
    People still believe this is how Vegas works?

It's all about balancing the money. Bettors decide the line, not bookies.

I loved betting the Jets last week at +3.5 when EVERYONE thought the Bucs would kill us. But the line is a little high considering all the injuries the pats have suffered. I still may throw a couple of bucks on the Jets, but it won't be with much confidence.

Veteran

It could just be that the Bills defense is vastly improved now, and that the bills aren't bad overall. They always had talent but their QB would play 1 good game followed by 6 bad ones. I don't see how anything has changed with the jets that makes anyone think this will be a win.

I do know we play the pats better the first time we play then the 2nd. We usually keep it close the first time, and get blown out the 2nd time. Its been this way for the past 4 seasons under rex.