Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: "Rex put Sanchez in behind the backup offensive line"

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    10,514

    "Rex put Sanchez in behind the backup offensive line"

    This comment that continuously gets spewed by the national media and even people on this board drives me nuts!

    1. It was the 3rd preseason game and Sanchez was still locked in a position battle. Players battling for a starting spot/roster position play in the preseason. Period.
    2. The backup offensive line was blocking backup defensive players. The level of talent was equal which makes the fact that Sanchez was behind our backup Oline irrelevant. It's not like he was out there behind practice squad players against Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre Paul, and Mathius Kiwanuka.
    3. To put it all (and the previous point) in perspective, Marvin Austin, the player who hit Sanchez when the injury occurred, is not even in the league anymore! The Giants cut him more than a week before the season started, and not only has another team not signed him to their roster, not a single team (Giants included) have signed him to their practice squad! This is the level of 'big bad pass rush' Mark was exposed to 'behind our backup Oline."



    You never want to see somebody get hurt, but for somebody to act like Mark got hurt due to negligence is simply irresponsible and short sighted (if not agenda drive). He got hurt because he is a football player and you run a high risk of injury at all times when playing this sport. And the reason he was playing is because his professional livelihood (and position as a starter) was still on the line due to him not playing well enough in games past (seasons past) to make him no longer have to audition. So if Mark didn't want to be out there, he could have prevented himself from being out there by playing better in his previous opportunities (both this preseason and previous years).

    Stop fueling this idiocy!

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,804
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    This comment that continuously gets spewed by the national media and even people on this board drives me nuts!

    1. It was the 3rd preseason game and Sanchez was still locked in a position battle. Players battling for a starting spot/roster position play in the preseason. Period.
    2. The backup offensive line was blocking backup defensive players. The level of talent was equal which makes the fact that Sanchez was behind our backup Oline irrelevant. It's not like he was out there behind practice squad players against Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre Paul, and Mathius Kiwanuka.
    3. To put it all (and the previous point) in perspective, Marvin Austin, the player who hit Sanchez when the injury occurred, is not even in the league anymore! The Giants cut him more than a week before the season started, and not only has another team not signed him to their roster, not a single team (Giants included) have signed him to their practice squad! This is the level of 'big bad pass rush' Mark was exposed to 'behind our backup Oline."



    You never want to see somebody get hurt, but for somebody to act like Mark got hurt due to negligence is simply irresponsible and short sighted (if not agenda drive). He got hurt because he is a football player and you run a high risk of injury at all times when playing this sport. And the reason he was playing is because his professional livelihood (and position as a starter) was still on the line due to him not playing well enough in games past (seasons past) to make him no longer have to audition. So if Mark didn't want to be out there, he could have prevented himself from being out there by playing better in his previous opportunities (both this preseason and previous years).

    Stop fueling this idiocy!
    Perhaps if all of stopped writing about it, this will go away. Constantly referring to it serves no good.

  3. #3
    I agree. Mark is his own worst enemy. He has the physical tools, but mentally things just don't come together for him on the playing field. He makes the same mistakes over and over again. He does not put himself in good situations. He make things harder than what they should be. The worst part of it is Mark expects bad things to happen and he has learned to live with it. We need a new attitude out there and hopefully Geno will provide that. PS - I have always felt that Mark's throwing shoulder has not been right for several years now. Was there preexisting problems with it before he got popped in preseason? Possibly.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    This comment that continuously gets spewed by the national media and even people on this board drives me nuts!

    1. It was the 3rd preseason game and Sanchez was still locked in a position battle. Players battling for a starting spot/roster position play in the preseason. Period.
    2. The backup offensive line was blocking backup defensive players. The level of talent was equal which makes the fact that Sanchez was behind our backup Oline irrelevant. It's not like he was out there behind practice squad players against Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre Paul, and Mathius Kiwanuka.
    3. To put it all (and the previous point) in perspective, Marvin Austin, the player who hit Sanchez when the injury occurred, is not even in the league anymore! The Giants cut him more than a week before the season started, and not only has another team not signed him to their roster, not a single team (Giants included) have signed him to their practice squad! This is the level of 'big bad pass rush' Mark was exposed to 'behind our backup Oline."



    You never want to see somebody get hurt, but for somebody to act like Mark got hurt due to negligence is simply irresponsible and short sighted (if not agenda drive). He got hurt because he is a football player and you run a high risk of injury at all times when playing this sport. And the reason he was playing is because his professional livelihood (and position as a starter) was still on the line due to him not playing well enough in games past (seasons past) to make him no longer have to audition. So if Mark didn't want to be out there, he could have prevented himself from being out there by playing better in his previous opportunities (both this preseason and previous years).

    Stop fueling this idiocy!
    Good thoughts. Or perhaps Rex did in fact fokk up.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cutchogue
    Posts
    2,142
    I agree with the premise of the thread. In the first game Mark was with the firsts and Geno with the seconds. Geno rolled his ankle while being chased (yes, different from being hit) and did anyone say "WHY WAS HE IN WITH THE TWOS??? BLAH BLAH BLAH. No, they did not because that game he was slated to go in with the twos.

    In game three Geno was with the ones and Mark with the twos (and lower). He gets hit while being chased. EVERYONE SCREAMS "WHY WAS HE IN WITHOUT THE FIRST STRONG LINE???" Its obvious, that night he was slated to be in with the twos and lower.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,950
    Except that Rex did put Sanchez in with the backups. That is exactly what happened. Dare anyone to prove otherwise.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    This comment that continuously gets spewed by the national media and even people on this board drives me nuts!

    [LIST=1][*]It was the 3rd preseason game and Sanchez was still locked in a position battle. Players battling for a starting spot/roster position play in the preseason. Period.[*]
    I see your point and agree that injuries happen at any time, but I think the major point of contention is your #1 above. Unless you really believe the Jets were going to play both Geno and Sanchez in Week 4 against Eagles scrubs, the position battle was over when Geno threw three picks against the Giants. There will be a camp of people (I'm in it) that are convinced that there was nothing Sanchez could have done in the 4th quarter of the Giants game - save for throwing three picks himself - or in practice the following week that would have cost him the job that he had won up until that point.

    I truly hope Geno cements his status as the future starter of this team with a great performance and win tonight. But if you're going to bring up the Sanchez injury, you have to at least acknowledge that it was a strange decision (with little information to gain) that may have cost a player his last shot as a starter.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    10,514
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I see your point and agree that injuries happen at any time, but I think the major point of contention is your #1 above. Unless you really believe the Jets were going to play both Geno and Sanchez in Week 4 against Eagles scrubs, the position battle was over when Geno threw three picks against the Giants. There will be a camp of people (I'm in it) that are convinced that there was nothing Sanchez could have done in the 4th quarter of the Giants game - save for throwing three picks himself - or in practice the following week that would have cost him the job that he had won up until that point.

    I truly hope Geno cements his status as the future starter of this team with a great performance and win tonight. But if you're going to bring up the Sanchez injury, you have to at least acknowledge that it was a strange decision (with little information to gain) that may have cost a player his last shot as a starter.
    Sanchez had 3 turnovers of his own in the preseason (2 of them being horrific, back breaking, boneheaded interceptions) and had not yet played on the 3rd preseason game (meaning that as a 5th year veteran he accomplished all that in only 3 quarters of preseason action). Why would anyone believe that with THAT being his preseason performance that the competition was closed before he played in the 3rd preseason game?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except that Rex did put Sanchez in with the backups. That is exactly what happened. Dare anyone to prove otherwise.

    Correct but Smith, McElroy and Simms survived the same rotation behind the same oline

    Sanchez scrambled and got hurt while making a play - unfortunate but not neglect (considering how Rex feels about Sanchez, it does not even make sense)

    OP is spot on with a great post, the media will not let it go

  10. #10
    Sanchez needed all the reps he can get in new offense and even if it was the old offense as he never seems to have a strong grasp of playing QB.
    He got hurt because he did not get rid of the ball fast enough .

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cedk View Post
    Sanchez needed all the reps he can get in new offense and even if it was the old offense as he never seems to have a strong grasp of playing QB.
    He got hurt because he did not get rid of the ball fast enough .
    Its just amazing that mess up after mess up, Rex is given a pass by his adoring fans. Talk about rationalizing the irrational.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    This comment that continuously gets spewed by the national media and even people on this board drives me nuts!

    1. It was the 3rd preseason game and Sanchez was still locked in a position battle. Players battling for a starting spot/roster position play in the preseason. Period.
    2. The backup offensive line was blocking backup defensive players. The level of talent was equal which makes the fact that Sanchez was behind our backup Oline irrelevant. It's not like he was out there behind practice squad players against Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre Paul, and Mathius Kiwanuka.
    3. To put it all (and the previous point) in perspective, Marvin Austin, the player who hit Sanchez when the injury occurred, is not even in the league anymore! The Giants cut him more than a week before the season started, and not only has another team not signed him to their roster, not a single team (Giants included) have signed him to their practice squad! This is the level of 'big bad pass rush' Mark was exposed to 'behind our backup Oline."



    You never want to see somebody get hurt, but for somebody to act like Mark got hurt due to negligence is simply irresponsible and short sighted (if not agenda drive). He got hurt because he is a football player and you run a high risk of injury at all times when playing this sport. And the reason he was playing is because his professional livelihood (and position as a starter) was still on the line due to him not playing well enough in games past (seasons past) to make him no longer have to audition. So if Mark didn't want to be out there, he could have prevented himself from being out there by playing better in his previous opportunities (both this preseason and previous years).

    Stop fueling this idiocy!
    Agree 100%

    Couldn't have been said better. We're not talking about Tom Brady here.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    Only guys who will be pumping gas in the offseason should be playing the the 4th quarter of preseason games. Has any player making 13 million dollars ever seen the 4th quarter of a preseason game?
    Id venture to say no. It was an awful move by Rex.

    Now do I care? No, casue Sanchez stinks. But it was a terrible move by the HC.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    10,514
    Another point is that the media and fans can't have it both ways. Any time a young player (or anyone for that matter) blows up after the first quarter or so of a preseason game, all you ever read is, "Such-and-Such completed 16 of 19 pass attempts for 210 yards and 2 TDs, albeit against the Bengals 2nd team defense." Or, "Such-and-Such rushed for 123 yards on 14 attempts, but many of those yards came against defensive players likely not going to be in the NFL this season, so lets temper expectations."

    You never read, "Such-and-Such had a perfect QB rating while throwing 3 TDs in the second preseason game, and he did it while playing behind the backup offensive line! Imagine what he'll do when being protected by the starters!"

    But because this is the Jets, and Rex Ryan, everyone (and their agendas) want to focus on the fact it was the backup Oline. Even in the exact scenario that happened (Rex putting Mark in late), if Sanchez went 7-7 on the drive for 69 yards and a TD, you'd be reading, "Sanchez did come in and look good once Geno's horrific night was over, but it was against the Giants 2nd and 3rd stringers, many of which who will be bagging groceries this fall."

    You cant have it both ways. Don't be a sheep and let the media mold the perception they want you to believe into a reality!
    Last edited by JMJ; 09-12-2013 at 08:20 AM.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Only guys who will be pumping gas in the offseason should be playing the the 4th quarter of preseason games. Has any player making 13 million dollars ever seen the 4th quarter of a preseason game?
    Id venture to say no. It was an awful move by Rex.

    Now do I care? No, casue Sanchez stinks. But it was a terrible move by the HC.
    +1
    How anybody else can not see this is laughable.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,485
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    This comment that continuously gets spewed by the national media and even people on this board drives me nuts!


    Stop fueling this idiocy!
    Ummmmm perhaps if you stop starting threads about an issue which no one on this board has been posting in weeks then perhaps the IDIOCY as you put it will cease!

    Good Grief!!!

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,950
    We should put this on the back burner for now. We got a game tonight. That is where the focus should be. There will be plenty of time to talk about Rex in the future.

  18. #18
    "Rex put Sanchez in behind the backup offensive line"
    Because he's at best a backup quarterback.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Reality
    Posts
    10,514
    Disagree, Charlie.

    Someone I consider one of the very best posters this site has (Buzzsaw) and two other posters brought it up on the very first page of the "Mort-Sanchez" thread, Sportscetner was taking about it this morning, Rotoworld had it in their blurb about Mort's report, and you know Collinsworth or whoever does Thursday night football is going to be yacking it up both pregame and during the game tonight.

    You're another of my favorite posters on this board CB, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree if you think nobody is still talking about this.
    Last edited by JMJ; 09-12-2013 at 08:35 AM.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,485
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Disagree, Charlie.

    Someone I consider one of the very best posters this site has (Buzzsaw) and two other posters brought it up on the very first page of the "Mort-Sanchez" thread, Sportscetner was taking about it this morning, Rotoworld had it in their blurb about Mort's report, and you know Collinsworth or whoever does Thursday night football is going to be yacking it up both pregame and during the game tonight.

    You're another of my favorite posters on this board CB, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree if you think nobody is still talking about this.
    I actually hadn't seen that thread until now so I see what you are saying my friend

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us