Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think in the long run this will be good for Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    Passing game sucked ass. The plays called could have let us prevail. Terrible play by Geno and the WRs lost the game.

Geno fans need to take a step back and realize this guy needs a lot of work. Play like today is why he was taken in the second round. Poor passing and poor mental technique.

Not an opportunity for Sanchez fans to leap to piss on Geno. Sanchez still isn't coming back next week. Geno is who we have right now.

All can agree Gates and Hill sucked.
    ****, it's his second game ever. Give the guy a break.

Poor 2nd half? hell yes, but there were some good flashes as well. Sucks to lose, but we need to think long-term. I like Geno's poise and I think 10 days is a lot of time to rest up and come out strong in week 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Like when he hit gates in the chest for a td and he drop it? Or like when he hit gates on deep ball again in his chest and he drop it.
    No, I think he's talking about the other time when he hit Gates in the chest and he dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    believe it us over 35 have alot to be pissed offf about. So believe it or dont. Im calling chad pennington
    If your hobby is pissing you off, time to find another hobby.

Common sense actually.

Veteran
    I like this kid - Geno - in the presser. Authentic good attitude.

I know that it's common place for players to be compared to other players based upon their skin color. Example Spadola is Chrebet..... but watching Geno Smith out there in green and white reminded me of Quincy Carter with the Jets. Same type of talent too. Geno has talent but holds the ball way too long, has accuracy issues and is too herky/jerky in the pocket when it comes to making decisions. The lowly receivers didn't help. The Jets o-line was fantastic, Chris Ivory was under utilized but the Jets rookie QB is flawed and the Jets lowly talents at WR like Gates, Spadola and company should not be on the roster especially ahead of a superior player like Braylon Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    He had to go into an almost impossible situation and struggled, as many people thought he would.

Now will the fans and the media stop the cries for Mark Sanchez to come back or for Matt Simms to paly and give him time to improve? That's the question. And I hope they will.

And for Geno maybe a damper for him. But knowing his tenacity, he will play better against Buffalo.

This is why the win against Tampa was so important. 1-1 is much better than 0-2.
    He played well for 3 quarters. A young QB needs his WRs and TEs to make plays for him, and our guys were making no plays for Geno. Who knows how this game looks without the drops and the Hill fumble. The 4th quarter it came undone for him. But we didn't have to be in that situation

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    His accuracy needs A LOT of work..
    He threw a perfect long pass to Hill for a completion in a heavy down pour. Those INTs while running to save his butt is understandable. I think this was a good game in his initiation to the NFL.

Practice Squad
    Geno had far more good passes that didn't get caught than bad. The problem was that they should've given Geno more help. Brady gets a ton of short dump off passes all day to make it easier and they work. We needed to use more of Ivory runs since they were working. Also throw in some Bubble screens or something shorter that would take some of the pressure off Geno. This is the kids 2nd NFL game, short week, NE Patriots in Gillette Stadium, in the RAIN and people are acting like he's supposed to be perfect. GTFOH!!!! I swear i'm gonna lose it if I read another Jet fan bash this kid. He barely has a decent and dependable receiver to throw to. MM should not have him throwing so much when we had the perfect situation for running the ball down NE throats!!!! This is not Geno's fault.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    Every experience is good for him right now. We win the game tonight if Clyde Gates can catch a football...
    Frankly - if Kerley is healthy we probably win the game. Kerley and Cumby being hurt/not okay seemed to keep our game plan out of the middle of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    I know that it's common place for players to be compared to other players based upon their skin color. Example Spadola is Chrebet..... but watching Geno Smith out there in green and white reminded me of Quincy Carter with the Jets. Same type of talent too. Geno has talent but holds the ball way too long, has accuracy issues and is too herky/jerky in the pocket when it comes to making decisions. The lowly receivers didn't help. The Jets o-line was fantastic, Chris Ivory was under utilized but the Jets rookie QB is flawed and the Jets lowly talents at WR like Gates, Spadola and company should not be on the roster especially ahead of a superior player like Braylon Edwards.

I'd vomit at the QC comparison (which isn't far off), but thankfully it's only game 2. I'm 100% sure the game is too fast for Geno right now. But the fact that he flashes every now and again while everything is moving at 200+ mph around him is a good sign. He's got potential to be something good for us if/when the game slows down (likely in year 2).

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    You shouldn't be allowed to start threads.
    Shut the F up, PennytoColes.

If there's one thing I hate on this board is the name calling, the exclusionary "dump this" attitude.

It's a message board. Let people drop their thoughts here without insult.

DC

All rookies go through growing pains. I'm willing to wait and see. He has lots of things he can do that Sanchez really never could. We had many games like this in '09 and made AFCCG. This defense will keep us in lots of games and if we can run the ball more to protect Geno we should be fine. Rex needs to tell MM to run more.

Practice Squad
    The Pats ALWAYS give Rookies a hard time. To actually state that this is somehow an indictment of Geno's talent is ignorant as hell. If Geno's receivers hold on to the ball this game is a win, cuz we could just run the ball and kill clock. Instead he's trying to make something out of nothing and that's what you don't want a rookie QB to do. Marty also bares a lot of blame for his play calling. He's not accounting for Geno's inexperience and giving him more help in the play calling. We can't trust our WR's and so we need to mix in a lot more run, screen and short yardage plays. There were times where we took unnecessary chances when a simple run play would suffice. We saw some really good things from Geno despite going up against Belichick. This was not a typical game for a rookie QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    The Pats ALWAYS give Rookies a hard time. To actually state that this is somehow an indictment of Geno's talent is ignorant as hell. If Geno's receivers hold on to the ball this game is a win, cuz we could just run the ball and kill clock. Instead he's trying to make something out of nothing and that's what you don't want a rookie QB to do. Marty also bares a lot of blame for his play calling. He's not accounting for Geno's inexperience and giving him more help in the play calling. We can't trust our WR's and so we need to mix in a lot more run, screen and short yardage plays. There were times where we took unnecessary chances when a simple run play would suffice. We saw some really good things from Geno despite going up against Belichick. This was not a typical game for a rookie QB.
    Give me a break with this Pats give rookies a hard time. They didn't even practice this week because of the Thursday game.

It's hard not to be pissed at Geno for giving the game away, but it's a rookie QB playing just his 2nd game, on a short week and going up against BB/Pats* on the road.

Patience, folks.

We saw some good things from Geno, but also bad things that lose games. You don't beat the Patriots throwing three INTs. Like Sanchez before him, Geno benefits from a very good defense that kept the team in the game. Like Sanchez he has his good moments and bad moments. He's played two games so he's got time to improve.

In the NFL, it often comes down to mistakes. Last week Geno had three bad ones, but Tampa also made a whole bunch more.. Tonight Geno again had three bad mistakes, and other offensive players had plenty as well. Defense was great and made just one mistake, but it was a big one. On the other side, NE avoided mistakes (or Jets didn't force them). Brady under 50% but no INTs.

Right and if Geno doesn't throw THREE picks we win the game too ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Banned
    If our defense didn't give up 13 points this game is also a win.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    He had to go into an almost impossible situation and struggled, as many people thought he would.

Now will the fans and the media stop the cries for Mark Sanchez to come back or for Matt Simms to paly and give him time to improve? That's the question. And I hope they will.

And for Geno maybe a damper for him. But knowing his tenacity, he will play better against Buffalo.

This is why the win against Tampa was so important. 1-1 is much better than 0-2.
    Obviously not sold on Geno being the future. But he has played well enough to keep me interested in seeing how he finishes the season. He should start all 16 games, no sense in bringing Mark back with a partially torn labrum, just go away!

Geno shows flashes, he has the talent but will the game slow down for him as the season goes along. Geno got absolutely no help from his receivers, but those were some awful underthrows on those 3 picks. I hope he just couldn't sling it in the rain, and his accuracy isn't gonna be an issue going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Like when he hit gates in the chest for a td and he drop it? Or like when he hit gates on deep ball again in his chest and he drop it.
    or when he hit spadola in the chest and he dropped it. or when he threw it to holmes, who was dragged down by a pats db, and it still hit holmes on the ground? or when he hit powell in the hands? how dare he!