Thread: Gates non-TD review

All League

Gates non-TD review

Maybe this has been beaten to death already -- I haven't had time to check the board much today. But I didn't see a threat on this, and I really thought that the call on the overturned Gates TD was wrong.

Before I get jumped on -- yes, I saw the ball move, and yes, I agree it wasn't a TD. BUT...in no replay angle shown on TV was there ever clear evidence the ball hit the ground either. And, given that the ref on the scene ruled that Gates ended up with possession on the ground (not the defender), there is no way that should have been called an incomplete pass. The replay showed the ball moving as he fell from the endzone onto the playing field...then you can't see what happened to the ball after that. So, I can understand ruling that the TD call was incorrect, but it should have stayed a completed pass, marked at the 1 yard line (or wherever he was when he was on the ground, when the ref ruled that he had possession). I believe that would have been a first down Jets.

This was the fear when replay was first instituted a decade or so ago -- that refs would use it to overturn calls or make rulings without "incontrovertible evidence." This is the perfect example of that. It looks LIKELY that the ball hit the ground after he bobbled it...but we cannot see it hitting the ground. All we know is that when the ref did get to the two players on the ground, he ruled that Gates had the ball. No way this should have been called an incompletion, and really ****ty job by Mayock and the other announcer to basically endorse the call.

edit: If this has been discussed in another thread, will someone point me to it -- would like to read other opinions.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 09-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.

All League
    My bad...see the other thread now. Mods, please merge...