Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gates and Hill are HOT GARBAGE.........

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Gates, it's a typical situation where a WR looks great in camp when there's nothing on the line, but can't actually execute in the game (i.e. catch a ball).

That deep pass over the middle that he dropped was a killer. The commentator was SUCH a f***ing joke man, saying it was badly thrown...Geno hit him between his hands, and the ball literally hit Gates between the numbers! The fact that he jumped does not make it a bad pass, an honestly if he had presence and body control, he easily should have made that grab for massive yardage. I know it was raining heavily, but if Gates has one more game like that, I don't want to see him out there for the rest of the year.

Hill had some bad moments, the fumble and a few drops...I didn't think he was criminal honestly, especially considering how every single WR on the field was dropping some (note: Gates drops were always uglier though, and it felt like he had more although I don't know the stats on that). I think in better playing conditions he can serve as a good outside receiver and deep threat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    With Gates, it's a typical situation where a WR looks great in camp when there's nothing on the line, but can't actually execute in the game (i.e. catch a ball).

That deep pass over the middle that he dropped was a killer. The commentator was SUCH a f***ing joke man, saying it was badly thrown...Geno hit him between his hands, and the ball literally hit Gates between the numbers! The fact that he jumped does not make it a bad pass, an honestly if he had presence and body control, he easily should have made that grab for massive yardage. I know it was raining heavily, but if Gates has one more game like that, I don't want to see him out there for the rest of the year.

Hill had some bad moments, the fumble and a few drops...I didn't think he was criminal honestly, especially considering how every single WR on the field was dropping some (note: Gates drops were always uglier though, and it felt like he had more although I don't know the stats on that). I think in better playing conditions he can serve as a good outside receiver and deep threat.
    He's the first player that needs to go next year when we draft a stud WR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think hill and gates lost the game. hill gave the pats 7 points and the jets lost a good shot of scoring some with his early fumble. gates dropped a td pass and dropped another that would have put the jets near the pats 10. in a league where only a few plays can turn a game, wow, the jets wrs really were the turning points. sure the picks hurt, but if the wrs were catching even some of those balls, the jets would have been in a position not to force things and may actually have been in a position to run out the clock.
    Looks like Hill is going to make a tradition of losing the first Pats game all by himself

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The fumble was actually caused when the Pats players leg inadvertently kicked the ball out of Hill's hands. It was just a freak thing. Hill has out of this world physical tools but he is still learning how to be a receiver. He is not very smooth at all as a player. He is still very raw.
    Hold ball against body. I was taught that as a HS player. He had it out there like a loaf of friggin bread.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He's the first player that needs to go next year when we draft a stud WR.
    The only way that happens is if Rex is gone. We haven't drafted a first round offensive player since Sanchez, and we see how that's turned out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The only way that happens is if Rex is gone. We haven't drafted a first round offensive player since Sanchez, and we see how that's turned out.
    Ehh, with or without Rex, I think the FO knows they need to go offense if the value is there. We're pretty sure they were slated to take Tavon Austin and that's why StL moved up. This team knows they need offensive skill position players, but honestly this draft didn't have any talent that really justified a first round pick (at least where we picked).

Would have liked to see a guy like hopkins or dobson on our team this year tho, they are both showing some things (yes I know dobson dropped like 8 @#$%ing balls last night, but that seemed to be the average out on the field lol).

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should drop Gates to #3 and let that Spadola kid have a shot. Did he even get in the game?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    We should drop Gates to #3 and let that Spadola kid have a shot. Did he even get in the game?
    Spadola had a ball bounce off of his chest also, they never put him back in though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Plain and simple. I blame Idzik for this mess at wide receiver!
    In the 2 games that I watched, I thought Hill had did some decent things... no way i would give up on him... He did leaves some plays out there.. and the fumble.. but he made a few nice plays..

Gates had an opportunity to come up big yesterday... kid got open..... but he doesn't have NFL hands.. He is our Kick Returner.. so has a level of value... as a 4th or 5th WR.....

Kerley, Holmes and Hill are primary 3....

frankly was ready to cut Gates last night.. but... why give up on him now... he was open...

entire team needs to improve..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    In the 2 games that I watched, I thought Hill had did some decent things... no way i would give up on him... He did leaves some plays out there.. and the fumble.. but he made a few nice plays..

e..
    as a developing project he should not be first on the depth chart

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand by my thread again today even though I was upset last night when I started this thread. BOTH Gates AND Hill are hot garbage......Some of you guys are just hoping Hill comes along but i'm telling you, this kid will continue to break our hearts and obviously he's on the team but i'd say after the full season is over you will see i'm right. Not being negative, I wanted this kid to be the real deal too but he can't catch, he's a friggin receiver fellas, it comes natural to the great ones from a early age.................

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand by my thread again today even though I was upset last night when I started this thread. BOTH Gates AND Hill are hot garbage......Some of you guys are just hoping Hill comes along but i'm telling you, this kid will continue to break our hearts and obviously he's on the team but i'd say after the full season is over you will see i'm right. Not being negative, I wanted this kid to be the real deal too but he can't catch, he's a friggin receiver fellas, it comes natural to the great ones from a early age.................
    Rex face on the sideline said everything you need to know about what he thinks of Hill.
    He didn't want him in the draft & he's not happy with him this morning.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill will develop. Gates should be cut. Let Spadola play and learn, please

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Spadola had a ball bounce off of his chest also, they never put him back in though.
    Man, Spadola must be kicking himself today. The guy finally gets in on some action, works to get open, Geno hits him in the numbers and he drops it.

I feel bad for him, but he's gotta make the most of his few opportunities. You never know when the next one will pop up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Man, Spadola must be kicking himself today. The guy finally gets in on some action, works to get open, Geno hits him in the numbers and he drops it.

I feel bad for him, but he's gotta make the most of his few opportunities. You never know when the next one will pop up.
    Yeah, he had an opportunity, he needs to make the most of those. The alarming part is that he tried to catch the ball with his body just like Hill and Gates. In college he was pretty good at catching the ball with his hands.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plain and simple. I blame Idzik for this mess at wide receiver!
    Your post is hot garbage.

Who should Idzik have brought in? With what money? This is the year of ridding the team of bad contracts. If you factor in Holmes and Sanchez's deals, the Jets have 50 million in dead cap space. Think about that. 50 million.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    The Jets seem to pay an awfully high price for the development of Stephen Hill. I was hoping for a big jump in production from him this season - but an unreliable receiver is bad receiver and that's Hill's reality.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    The fumble was actually caused when the Pats players leg inadvertently kicked the ball out of Hill's hands. It was just a freak thing.
    Hill didn't keep the ball tight to his body. Was a freak play, but it was all on him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Huge reach to have picked him in the second round, and trade to jump up to do it!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also that one play where he went down pretty easy going one on one was pathetic. With those long arms of his where is the stiff arm or the power from his frame. He got swung down not even tackled with ease.