Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FWIW... This loss is on Geno, and it won't be the last, BUT.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW... This loss is on Geno, and it won't be the last, BUT.....

the kid is a rookie and should learn from his mistakes.

THAT is how you develop a young QB and games like this are the price you pay.

Another FWIW statement is that he showed some promise out there even with WRs dropping balls on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    People will flip out, but I thought he did some good things. Definitely needs to get the ball out quicker, though.

#yoloswag

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    People will flip out, but I thought he did some good things. Definitely needs to get the ball out quicker, though.

#yoloswag
    For his first divisional road game, he did much better than I thought he would. Ball placement was an issue tonight, and with his accuracy, he should fix that. He could get away with throwing balls behind receivers or on the wrong shoulder in college. He probably now understands that he can't do that in the NFL. Also, it's best not to underthrow deep routes when your WR has the defenders beaten.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

#yoloswag
    I know Geno threw 3 INTs but he wasn't careless with the ball at least. I do think the drops throughout the game really effected some of his decisions and progressions throughout the rest of the game. The question will be is if he can spin it in the rain and during the November/December months.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno played a solid first 3 quarters, a good 3rd quarter, then lost it in the 4th. To me the speed of the game and maybe over thinking about the "looks" Belichick was going to give him hurt him the most, it showed in the 1st quarter. I think he learned tonight that he can't think too much, he needs to trust his reads and execute a step faster, he was behind on his execution and passes.

To me, he will improve a lot as the game slows down for him. I'm not even upset at Genos performance, he's a rookie, a divisional game on the road, I thought he did pretty good until the 4th quarter, the INT inside the 25 being the biggest.

The INT's weren't careless mistakes, they were simply poor throws and poor execution, he will improve on that and his timing as he settles down.

I think he makes a jump once the game slows down a little bit, a lot to build on. His receivers didn't help him at all and he missed Kerley.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 09-13-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it's not like he threw a screen for an int or ran into the back of a lineman and fumbled. And at least he took ownership of his mistakes and didn't shrug them off like it didn't happen. He's also got a couple of things working for him. He hasn't written a script for a press conference or gotten hungry on the sidelines while the game was going on. These are all positives.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw,a snippet from his presser. Took the blame for his mistakes and the loss. Said it's on his shoulders.

#yoloswag

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Geno played a solid first 3 quarters, a good 3rd quarter, then lost it in the 4th. To me the speed of the game and maybe over thinking about the "looks" Belichick was going to give him hurt him the most, it showed in the 1st quarter. I think he learned tonight that he can't think too much, he needs to trust his reads and execute a step faster, he was behind on his execution and passes.

To me, he will improve a lot as the game slows down for him. I'm not even upset at Genos performance, he's a rookie, a divisional game on the road, I thought he did pretty good until the 4th quarter, the INT inside the 25 being the biggest.

The INT's weren't careless mistakes, they were simply poor throws and poor execution, he will improve on that and his timing as he settles down.

I think he makes a jump once the game slows down a little bit, a lot to build on. His receivers didn't help him at all and he missed Kerley.
    Plus Winslow was pretty much a non-factor the whole night. Smith leaned on Kellen against Tampa Bay but for some reason barely targeted him the whole night.

Would have been helpful if the Jets leant on the run game a little bit more than they did but given the Jets had to play catch-up all night, it's not surprising that Geno was asked to fling it around more than the Jets would have been comfortable with going into the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't the time for him to learn we are trying to make the playoffs ffs. If he has another game like that next week it's time to sit him and maybe give some veteran a shot to manage the game and not lose it. When the season is done with and were out of the playoff hunt we can throw him back in there and he'll learn but not now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blame the receivers dropping nearly everything. If they do (especially Gates) we have the lead and we can run some ball control O. Instead, a rookie QB is forced to press when he shouldn't have had to.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    This isn't the time for him to learn we are trying to make the playoffs ffs. If he has another game like that next week it's time to sit him and maybe give some veteran a shot to manage the game and not lose it. When the season is done with and were out of the playoff hunt we can throw him back in there and he'll learn but not now

Not allowing your young and inexperienced QB to make mistakes and develop is the kind of thing that leads to you having someone like Mark Sanchez as your starting QB with a big fat cap hit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I know Geno threw 3 INTs but he wasn't careless with the ball at least. I do think the drops throughout the game really effected some of his decisions and progressions throughout the rest of the game. The question will be is if he can spin it in the rain and during the November/December months.
    What does that even mean

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually don't blame Geno. The whole point of an OC is to read the game and take advantage of what the D is giving you. Marty simply didn't make good decisions. Having Geno drop back so much when we had good results with the running game. The Jets are only down 3 so why are we acting like we had to throw so much with an entire qtr to go??? IF they simply took what the D was giving them I think they would've protected Geno from himself.

Someone mentioned Winslow, but Belichick was taking him away so all Geno had was the other WR's. I think they could've tried some bubble screens or some other short plays to try and get some positive yardage with very little risk. We've got to keep working with these WR's to see if we can get them to CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!! Way too many drops that would've lead to 1st downs and to scores.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Not allowing your young and inexperienced QB to make mistakes and develop is the kind of thing that leads to you having someone like Mark Sanchez as your starting QB with a big fat cap hit.
    Come on. Mark started every game we coddled him and have him every chance to develop and he is still the worst QB in the league. Sitting and learning is not a bad thing and then enter the season as a clear cut starter a year later with an offense made for Geno and a full camp + preseason as a starter. It's better than just throwing him in there when he clearly isn't ready yet. That's when you get the Kyle bollers, sanchez and so on

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are NOT ruining Geno by having him start games. Don't be ridiculous. The kid is learning a heck of a lot more from playing than he would from standing on the sidelines. This isn't really about Geno not being good enough. It's about this team not having enough quality WR's. If they catch even half of the drops that were right on the hands then we win this game and he probably doesn't have to force passes in the 4th qtr. It's about our receivers. Just ask Brady what it's like throwing to bad WR's!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Come on. Mark started every game we coddled him and have him every chance to develop and he is still the worst QB in the league. Sitting and learning is not a bad thing and then enter the season as a clear cut starter a year later with an offense made for Geno and a full camp + preseason as a starter. It's better than just throwing him in there when he clearly isn't ready yet. That's when you get the Kyle bollers, sanchez and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    They are NOT ruining Geno by having him start games. Don't be ridiculous. The kid is learning a heck of a lot more from playing than he would from standing on the sidelines. This isn't really about Geno not being good enough. It's about this team not having enough quality WR's. If they catch even half of the drops that were right on the hands then we win this game and he probably doesn't have to force passes in the 4th qtr. It's about our receivers. Just ask Brady what it's like throwing to bad WR's!!!!

Two different schools of thought on "developing" a young QB. One method is to sit him on the bench and let him watch and learn. Another method is to put him out there and let him learn from his mistakes. A presumption here is that his Oline won't get him killed like Carr's did in his early years, as did Couch's in Cleveland.

According to Steve Young, you learn at about a 20% rate watching others, but at a 100% rate when out there actually doing it. ANd yes, the numbers are pulled out of his rear end, but it illustrates the point.

The key in the second approach is that you shouldn't beat the kid up for making mistakes. You don't want to put "the fear of failure" into him making him afraid to actually try and do things. I kind of think that is what happened with Sanchez to some degree. They stuck him out there and said "don't F it up".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Two different schools of thought on "developing" a young QB. One method is to sit him on the bench and let him watch and learn. Another method is to put him out there and let him learn from his mistakes. A presumption here is that his Oline won't get him killed like Carr's did in his early years, as did Couch's in Cleveland.

According to Steve Young, you learn at about a 20% rate watching others, but at a 100% rate when out there actually doing it. ANd yes, the numbers are pulled out of his rear end, but it illustrates the point.

The key in the second approach is that you shouldn't beat the kid up for making mistakes. You don't want to put "the fear of failure" into him making him afraid to actually try and do things. I kind of think that is what happened with Sanchez to some degree. They stuck him out there and said "don't F it up".
    I don't think any of those are right or wrong. You just have to look at the QB and see what makes sense. RG3 wasn't gonna be better now had he sat for a year, he was ready to start from the getgo so that was right for him. Doesn't mean it's right for everyone else no matter what young or Unitas says. You can find other top QBs say something different because it worked for them to sit and learn. Geno just isn't ready, he is holding back the team, the game is too big for him. He looks confused a lot, he's missing so many opportunities to make big plays because he just doesn't see it. And he makes a lot of awful decisions. He is one guy who needs to sit and learn defenses first. The game is too big and too fast for him now

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If our receivers held onto the ball a few more times we win by 10 PTs.Please,place the blame where it belongs.If Gates catches that ball in the end zone,we win,period.And it wasn't a difficult catch for an NFL wideout,which Gates isn't.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    If our receivers held onto the ball a few more times we win by 10 PTs.Please,place the blame where it belongs.If Gates catches that ball in the end zone,we win,period.And it wasn't a difficult catch for an NFL wideout,which Gates isn't.
    I guess your screen name tells me all I need to know, but Geno has to do a MUCH better job with his accuracy. Should NFL level receivers make catches on balls that aren't perfectly thrown? Yes, and many times they did. But Geno consistently throws behind his receivers, and not only does that lead to more difficult receptions, it also leads to TOs like we saw against the Giants/last night (when we could have tied it with a FG).

If Geno continues to play like Sanchez (let's face it -- that's all he did last night), I'm willing to give him next year, hopefully with better weapons that are more likely to do something positive with the ball. However, even Jerry Rice can only do so much if the Qb can't put the ball where it needs to be . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    And if Geno throws the ball on target half those drops don't exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD