Thread: The view from Pats land...

The view from Pats land...

Yesterday I wore my Jet jersey around even though it seemed everyone was wearing their Pats jersey. However there wasn't really any hard feelings as much as there is a lot of concern about this Pats team. Most believe the team is not that good and they believe it's because the let too many players get away in the off season. This is not a championship caliber Pats team by any means.

While Geno is a rookie and is making rookie mistakes including bad reads our receivers are not giving him much help. I don't believe you keep the same play book for a rookie but rather play to your QB's strengths to make plays. He will get better but I wonder how long before he looses the offense with his play. He can't sit in the pocket for a long time and wait for receivers to get open because we still have the problem of receivers who can't get open coupled with a QB whi can't see them when they are open

Then apparently most Pats fans have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe the idiots you encountered were upset that the Pats let Hernandez get away in the offseason?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The pats team we saw yesterday obviously was under-manned but reality is is that they have 10 days off, Gronk and Amendola will probably be back, their rookies got some much-needed experience and they are 2-0 in the division. Oh yeah, they have Tom Brady as their QB.

Is this the Randy Moss Patriots of yesteryear? No, certainly not. But it's good enough to be 12-4 and the second seed, which is probably what they are looking at.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Brady unfortunately is amazing ... He put the ball right in their wr's hands all night long. We won't be able to count on them dropping the ball left & right once the starters return. As long as Brady is running the show & the line is protecting him well they will have a chance.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Then apparently most Pats fans have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe the idiots you encountered were upset that the Pats let Hernandez get away in the offseason?
    Hernandez didn't get away. Pretty sure he was caught.

Hall Of Fame
    Pats are winning this division. As bad as their young WRs were yesterday they were still getting open and that is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. Our guys have difficulty getting open AND they drop the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes to all of the above but at some point somebody is going to need to notice that our defense is pretty good here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Pats are winning this division. As bad as their young WRs were yesterday they were still getting open and that is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. Our guys have difficulty getting open AND they drop the ball.

It's a little early in the season for that thinking. This is not our normal Pats team. The only positive is that the defense seems to have improved.

I think Buffalo and Miami are decent, and if the Jets develop an offense they could be also.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Yes to all of the above but at some point somebody is going to need to notice that our defense is pretty good here as well.
    Pretty good, with the exception that they can't even cover a pot of boiling water.

Pats are going to be 12-4 again but mostly because of the division their in, not disrespect but they are not beating the better teams in the league come playoff time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Pats are going to be 12-4 again but mostly because of the division their in, not disrespect but they are not beating the better teams in the league come playoff time.
    I would not be surprised to see them go 10-6 and you are (sadly) correct, they will be a one and done team come the playoffs. True to form Amendola is injury prone and can't be realistically expected to last a whole season/playoffs. Outside of Gronk and Edelemen, who each have injuries issues Brady has zero reliable weapons. I'm sure Brady didn't mind all the dropped balls from the rookies knowing that the Pats are about 10 million under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I would not be surprised to see them go 10-6 and you are (sadly) correct, they will be a one and done team come the playoffs. True to form Amendola is injury prone and can't be realistically expected to last a whole season/playoffs. Outside of Gronk and Edelemen, who each have injuries issues Brady has zero reliable weapons. I'm sure Brady didn't mind all the dropped balls from the rookies knowing that the Pats are about 10 million under the cap.

I've always said that BB's biggest mistake is that he never drafted Brady an all-pro caliber big WR. The kind of guy who is open even when covered one on one i.e. Boldin, MEgatron, Fitzgerald, etc.. Frankly it would have been worth trading multiple picks to move up in the draft to get such a player. Just like the Falcons did to get Julio Jones with the 6th pick. Brady would be unstoppable if paired with such a player. Just look what he did in one year with a beyond his prime Randy Moss.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The pats team we saw yesterday obviously was under-manned but reality is is that they have 10 days off, Gronk and Amendola will probably be back, their rookies got some much-needed experience and they are 2-0 in the division. Oh yeah, they have Tom Brady as their QB.

Is this the Randy Moss Patriots of yesteryear? No, certainly not. But it's good enough to be 12-4 and the second seed, which is probably what they are looking at.
    You mean 10-6 and the 4th seed

It's not the 1980's anymore. A flawed 10-6 team is Super Bowl caliber in this day and age if they get healthy (and hot) at the right time.

As a Pats ticket holder, a few thoughts-

-This was the smallest Jets crowd I have seen in my 15 years as an STH. Guy next to me was a Jets fan who lives in Foxboro and said the same thing. He has been to non-Jet games and mentioned that he saw more opponents' (non-Jets or Pats) than Jets jerseys. The forecast was for really crappy weather, but the steady rain was not that bad in the second half. Both teams have played in worse slop and the temperature was 70 degrees.
    - Jets O-Lines and D-Lines outplayed their counterparts. Credit drafting for non-"skilled" positions, although Chandler Jones played well.
    - Geno Smith has a very strong arm and looks like he will be a good QB. Brady and his receivers are being knocked today for missed connections but Brady always put his throws on the side of the Patriot receiver that was away from the defender. Pats receivers will need to figure out that it is more than route running. Geno was throwing to where the route says his receiver should be, hence the three interceptions. I think the receivers for the Pats and Geno will figure these things out.
    - Everyone in my area agreed that the Gates catch and the Edeleman fumble were a catch and a fumble, though the Gates catch was more questionable. Jets fans have a legitimite beef on both.
    -This rivalry is better when both teams are playing well. That was a painful game to watch.

Schluberator & Gadfly

Regarding NE, I heard on the radio yesterday that 90% of last years catches were made by receiver's that are no longer on the team. That's a lot of new faces for Brady to get used to this year.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    It's not the 1980's anymore. A flawed 10-6 team is Super Bowl caliber in this day and age IF they get healthy (and hot) at the right time.
    Fixed.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    As a Pats ticket holder, a few thoughts-

-This was the smallest Jets crowd I have seen in my 15 years as an STH. Guy next to me was a Jets fan who lives in Foxboro and said the same thing. He has been to non-Jet games and mentioned that he saw more opponents' (non-Jets or Pats) than Jets jerseys. The forecast was for really crappy weather, but the steady rain was not that bad in the second half. Both teams have played in worse slop and the temperature was 70 degrees.
    - Jets O-Lines and D-Lines outplayed their counterparts. Credit drafting for non-"skilled" positions, although Chandler Jones played well.
    - Geno Smith has a very strong arm and looks like he will be a good QB. Brady and his receivers are being knocked today for missed connections but Brady always put his throws on the side of the Patriot receiver that was away from the defender. Pats receivers will need to figure out that it is more than route running. Geno was throwing to where the route says his receiver should be, hence the three interceptions. I think the receivers for the Pats and Geno will figure these things out.
    - Everyone in my area agreed that the Gates catch and the Edeleman fumble were a catch and a fumble, though the Gates catch was more questionable. Jets fans have a legitimite beef on both.
    -This rivalry is better when both teams are playing well. That was a painful game to watch.
    My biggest complaint about the weather is that the Patsy cheerleaders uni's were navy blue and not white!