Thread: Geno's postgame presser

Geno's postgame presser

I'm not a big Mark Sanchez basher at all, but I will say Geno's postgame press conference was worlds, and I mean WORLDS better than Mark ever was. Loved his poise handling the questions, and the fact he put the loss in his shoulders squarely. That was a leadership move right there. His D went out and played lights out for him and he and the WR's let the team down, and he made no bones about it when he said HE lost the game.

For the record HE did not lose the game on his own, but a leader at QB takes this on his shoulders every time. Mark would use alot of "we" when the blame was clearly solely his and that always bothered me. I realize he was toeing the company line and always speaking as a team, but a team needs to know their leader will take the sword for them even when he shouldn't have to. Not much positive to come out of the O last night, but I think these attitude rumors about Geno can be put to bed once and for all and that's at least one good thing.

All League
    I agree.

Sanchez would've been up there going "we" lost. "we" need to get better. (About the interceptions)...theses things happen. Bad luck.

On a side note, (if the reports are true) I really don't like the fact that Sanchez is going around saying he won the competition. He was definitely the starter. What purpose does that serve right now given the fact that he's not getting back on the field anytime soon. Not bashing... just curious. I think it's unnecessary.

Nothing more I want than for this kid to succeed. I do think he showed a glimpse of hope/poise on and off the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Only guy I was upset with last night after their interviews was Hill.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Agreed. "I thought I played pretty well" "The guys leg came up and knocked the ball out" (The leg didn't even hit the ball, it hit his forearm. You're supposed to hold onto that jackass).

WTF??!!

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Agreed. "I thought I played pretty well" "The guys leg came up and knocked the ball out" (The leg didn't even hit the ball, it hit his forearm. You're supposed to hold onto that jackass).

WTF??!!
    Not to mention he was FLAILING that ball way out away from his body just before it got knocked out. He needs to know to protect that ball at all times. He did NOT have a good game, not even close.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Not to mention he was FLAILING that ball way out away from his body just before it got knocked out. He needs to know to protect that ball at all times. He did NOT have a good game, not even close.
    Very true. Didn't have 2 hands on the ball and the ball wasn't tucked into his body.

All League
    I'm not a big Mark Sanchez basher at all, but I will say Geno's postgame press conference was worlds, and I mean WORLDS better than Mark ever was. Loved his poise handling the questions, and the fact he put the loss in his shoulders squarely. That was a leadership move right there. His D went out and played lights out for him and he and the WR's let the team down, and he made no bones about it when he said HE lost the game.

For the record HE did not lose the game on his own, but a leader at QB takes this on his shoulders every time. Mark would use alot of "we" when the blame was clearly solely his and that always bothered me. I realize he was toeing the company line and always speaking as a team, but a team needs to know their leader will take the sword for them even when he shouldn't have to. Not much positive to come out of the O last night, but I think these attitude rumors about Geno can be put to bed once and for all and that's at least one good thing.
    I agree. I also liked that he wouldn't use the rookie excuse. I think he said something like its not about being a learning experience - I should be good enough to win now. Shouldn't make the mistakes. He put it all on himself, which I liked.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I also wasn't thrilled with Milliner's reaction to being benched. He just took it in stride - it happens. Be pissed, be embarrassed, be upset. You were a top 10 pick in the NFL draft, you shouldn't just accept being benched.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I also wasn't thrilled with Milliner's reaction to being benched. He just took it in stride - it happens. Be pissed, be embarrassed, be upset. You were a top 10 pick in the NFL draft, you shouldn't just accept being benched.
    Good point and absolutely correct.

The "whatever" and "these things happen" attitude has got to stop.

I agree. I also liked that he wouldn't use the rookie excuse. I think he said something like its not about being a learning experience - I should be good enough to win now. Shouldn't make the mistakes. He put it all on himself, which I liked.
    Yes, thank you for reminding me. That was a great comment from him. I really do love his attitude. He has much to improve on, but attitude and leadership are really top notch for the kid.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jets8599 View Post
    Nothing more I want than for this kid to succeed. I do think he showed a glimpse of hope/poise on and off the field.
    I'm not a Geno fan at all, but I like how he took his lumps after the game. I'm not going to kill the kid for his play but this game is the reason I wanted Sanchez to start the season. Asking Geno to go into foxboro on 4 days rest was too much.

I also have not been impressed with his arm. all people were saying since we drafted him was his rocket lazer arm, and his great deepball. He was constantly under throwing receivers, and made a lot of bad reads early missing wide open recievers. He holds onto the ball too long and doesn't realize that when a reciever has a step on a CB that he's open in the NFL. He keeps waiting for them to get wide open. He definately needs some time to adjust to the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    You're right. I forgot about that one. Milliner needs a kick in the ass too. I think he will be fine once he starts to trust his ability and understands the defense. Seems like he is thinking too much and not letting his instincts take over.

Yup. Even Cowhdrd said so. Said he really liked him doing that.

I've never bashed Sanchez for his pressers, but what Geno did was way ahead of what Mark would have done. I thought Geno showed real leadership by owning up to his own mistakes and taking placing the blame, even for the mistakes of others, on himself.

#yoloswag

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yup. Even Cowhdrd said so. Said he really liked him doing that.

I've never bashed Sanchez for his pressers, but what Geno did was way ahead of what Mark would have done. I thought Geno showed real leadership by owning up to his own mistakes and taking placing the blame, even for the mistakes of others, on himself.

#yoloswag
    I don't think that Mark was ever bad at pressers. He always admitted his mistakes and took the blunt of it. He did get frustrated last season but his first 3 years he didn't do that.

Ugh. I always thought this was a bit silly. I don't believe you can pull anything of value from post-game press conferences (unless the player actually throws teammates under the bus or whines, or whatever). Sanchez talks about plays and team differently than Smith. Neither player does it "wrong" just different. I think we're looking for signs of proof that "Smith is better than Sanchez" or "Smith can handle adversity better based on the pressers, when the only way to know is to see how he plays next week.

This is a ridiculously overrated criticism of Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Ugh. I always thought this was a bit silly. I don't believe you can pull anything of value from post-game press conferences (unless the player actually throws teammates under the bus or whines, or whatever). Sanchez talks about plays and team differently than Smith. Neither player does it "wrong" just different. I think we're looking for signs of proof that "Smith is better than Sanchez" or "Smith can handle adversity better based on the pressers, when the only way to know is to see how he plays next week.

Lol at your last line I personally don't care what is said at pressers, but with mark his attitude was, " ya I threw a pick 6 it's football it was a freak play in which this that happened.... Yada yada yada..." Pick six or killer mistakes were " just part of the game" to mark.. That's why it continuingly happened to him and he never could improve on that as we saw in preseason he picked up where he left off from last yr.. The pick 6 in det to lineman, int in endzone from 3 yard line.. These are mistakes A qb needs to say should NEVER happen and drill that concept into his head.. Instead of shrugging it off like " that's just part of the game" mark was more about protecting his image than anything, his pressers were a broken record.. Ironically his bad games became a regular thing too..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Don't care about press conferences, never have, it's about making plays on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

For the record I was not criticizing Sanchez. Sanchez always took a "we" approach which is fine and a typical way to go about it. I just preferred how Geno used "I" when talking about how he lost the game for the team. I never felt Sanchez deflected blame from himself, I just have never seen him squarely put the blame on himself either. The fact that Geno stood up there and said point blank he lost this game for his team will go far with his teammates because it frankly just was not true.