Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone ever talk about this?

Jets Insider VIP

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about this?

The officiating was ridiculous in this game, especially at the end.

• The Edelman fumble that the ref decided was not a fumble cause "the foot came down the same time as the ball came loose"
    • In the 4th quarter, Santonio was pulled, grabbed, and shoved to the ground. There was no call.
    • The Pats players attack Mangold after the hit (warranted or not), and the Jet players defending themselves (& him) get tossed. Not one Pat even receives a flag, even though it was about 25 on 5.

Now, for the record, I don't think the refs necessarily want the Jets to lose. Not at all. I just think that the whole media imposed 'circus' label has caused everyone (announcers, officials, fans, and maybe even other coaches) to look at the Jets as losers who can never do right. I mean, Brian Billick wrote this about the Jets in his rankings (30th by the way) last week:

"I just can't bring myself to admit the Jets are the better team even thought they won."

What??? This is a professional coach. The Jets almost upset the Pats at home, with 4 pics, a rookie QB and not one healthy offensive weapon to speak of, yet, they will still be considered a bottom 3 team come this week, and the Pats will prob be top 10.

So when its a close call on the field, or a judgement call, the ref's subconscious kicks in and they look at the Jets as the offenders cause that's how the media has painted this team.

Sad but true.

I still think the Gates TD that was overturned was a bad call, not because it necessarily was a catch but I don't think the replay showed nearly enough to overturn it. They called a TD on the field and it should have stayed that way.

Jets Insider VIP
    That too. I never saw the ball hit the ground from any angle. Where was the conclusive evidence????

All League
    I thought the refs were okay this game EXCEPT for the Edelman fumble... which was in fact a fumble.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    I thought the refs were okay this game EXCEPT for the Edelman fumble... which was in fact a fumble.
    ;I agree - I don't understand how they overruled the Edelman fumble - especially since it was ruled a fumble on the field. He had the ball, took two steps and lost it. Sure looked like a fumble to me.

I could not see one conclusive replay on the Gates TD that showed the ball on the ground. I think the refs made the assumption that the ball was on the ground since it would make sense that it must've been to get from where it was to where it finally ended up, but there was no replay that actually showed it touching the ground at all and therefore it should NOT have been overturned. As for the Edelman fumble, I agreed with the call. He did bobble the ball slightly as he was going forward, therefore I felt possession was not fully esptablished before it came out. Just my opinion.

The refs wanted some of this...

brady-gay.jpg

All Pro
    Leave the refs out of this (even though I hate them so much)

We lost because we couldn't get the go ahead score on offense. Period.

Practice Squad
    I agree with everything posted so far. The edleman catch was a fumble and there was not enough evidence to overturn the gates TD.

I noticed that the refs did keep the laundry off the field for most of the game but there were some very bad calls.

If the refs played fair there would not be a "chance to win" because we would be up. Both of those plays mentioned above could of easily been in the Jets favor, but of course their not and no one will be talking or writing about them!!!!!

Regardless of the officiating (good or bad), I always take the approach that if you put yourself in the position to where the refs can determine a game, then you get what you get. I always felt that when playing sports, close games can go either way. If you want to make sure you win, make sure you prove it. You'll be happier if you do that.

Jets Insider VIP
    we will beat Buffalo! I refuse to cry over spilled milk. I love the fact that Colon stood tall to protect his teammate. DBRICK showed fire and gumption! The team has no QUIT in it and Geno is as poised as they come. He will get his experience and be a very good QB for us. We are going to beat Buffalo!

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    That too. I never saw the ball hit the ground from any angle. Where was the conclusive evidence????
    THIS!!!!
    How can a review be overturned because you "SUSPECT" the ball might have hit the ground?
    IT WAS CALLED A TD!
    There was not one angle that showed the ball ACTUALLY touch the ground! Therefore the replay official can't ASSUME even though he can't see the ball that it was incomplete.
    JETS GOT F*CKING JAGGED ON THAT CALL!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    we will beat Buffalo! I refuse to cry over spilled milk. I love the fact that Colon stood tall to protect his teammate. DBRICK showed fire and gumption! The team has no QUIT in it and Geno is as poised as they come. He will get his experience and be a very good QB for us. We are going to beat Buffalo!
    I'm fine with both of them as long as they aren't suspended next week. Then I won't be as fine with them.

I saw on the ticker this morning that someone got fined for throwing a punch last week, so I can only assume that D'Brick will only be fined. I didn't see what Colon did even after watching it again. I presume it was incidental contact with an official which shouldnt warrant a suspension.

Mangold's hit was low and dangerous but only because Talib was showboating it and ducking back and forth. I understand the Pats being upset at the hit but its not like Mangold knows how to tackle. It would have been a normal hit if he kept his momentum going. Or, if he ran out of bounds like he should have, it wouldn't have been an issue.....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I didn't see what Colon did even after watching it again. I presume it was incidental contact with an official which shouldnt warrant a suspension.
    Another poster posted this in a different thread. :35 sec mark is where you see Colon push the official and he falls on the ground

Link

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Regardless of the officiating (good or bad), I always take the approach that if you put yourself in the position to where the refs can determine a game, then you get what you get. I always felt that when playing sports, close games can go either way. If you want to make sure you win, make sure you prove it. You'll be happier if you do that.
    +1! Perfectly said!

I've never seen a call like the Gates TD where the refs overturn a call with no video evidence. If this happened to one of the bandwagon franchises you'd see articles all over the Internet about bad officiating and new precedents set. Nothing written today.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Excellent post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Of course the officiating should not determine a game. The goal is to make it so it doesn't. And you should never win on the road with 4 picks, etc. But, still, you have to wonder how the Jets always seem to get the short end of the stick. I mean, in a rain soaked 3 point game against your biggest rivals, unfortunately the officiating is going to be crucial.

And as for the fumble, Mayock thought it was a fumble. It was called so on the field. He did not bobble the ball at all (as one poster mentioned). It was simply a matter of how many steps he took. I (& apparently everyone else) clearly saw 2. The ref said, the 2nd foot came down at the same time, and therefore its not a fumble. REally?

I thought the Edelman call was crazy but at least the drive didn't lead to a TD. Definitely thought it was a fumble.

The Gates TD is where you guys lose me, on one replay you could see the ball moving and the palms of his hands, it definitely wasn't a catch.