Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playmakers, Playmakers, Playmakers.

Practice Squad
    Our new WR should be Mike Evans, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gang Greener View Post
    Our new WR should be Mike Evans, no questions asked.
    +1. I didn't realize he was eligible for the draft this year. Thought he had to stay in 1 more year.
    The guy is a BEAST. May not be the fastest, but damn, what a combination of size, athleticism and hands.

At this point, we should want to lose games and get a top ten pick. So we can grab Mike Evans

6 catches for 215 yards and 4 TDs in the 3rd qtr. Unreal

Practice Squad
    Right now he's at 11-287-4 Tds

Hall Of Fame
    Good night to evaluate the top 3 WRs coming out next year. Evans just had a monster day and now Lee is playing Notre Dame on NBC and Watkins is playing FSU on ABC.

The rate Mike Evans is going, he might be the 1st WR taken in the draft.
    The bad news, I don't think we'll be that high in the draft to be able to take Evans. I think some WR needy team that misses out of Hicks & Britt will take him.
    The good news out of that is that Sammy Watkins should be able to fall to us in that case.

Jets Insider VIP
    Evans is a monster but seems more like a TE to me at the pro level. His forty will be revealing. For now I still think Sammy will be the better pro WR.

USC Trojans@USC_Athletics

USC WR Marqise Lee is OUT for the rest of the game with a left knee injury.

Fragility being a problem with Lee, although the injury he suffered before was a freak injury

Veteran
    Not really pertinent regarding draft eligible players but how about the true frosh from Tennessee Marquez North. That kid is 6'4", 215 and he can really grab it. Two of the most impressive catches I've seen all year.

Maybe a Paradis type receiver?

I'll bring up his name again in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Make a choice considering Thomas might not be available when we pick in the 2nd.Watkins, or trade down in the 1st and grab Thomas.Which is what i would do
    I would honesty take D. Thomas in the first round as well even if we don't trade down, go for the best WR/Safety available in the second and whichever position was not filled with our second pick fill it in the third. IMO we need help at safety more than CB.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Evans is a monster but seems more like a TE to me at the pro level. His forty will be revealing. For now I still think Sammy will be the better pro WR.
    Seriously?? The guy isnt a track star but he has more than enough speed to play WR at the next level. Watch the Alabama game, he ran away from their defense all day.

Jets Insider VIP
    I really don't think 9-7 or even 10-6 is out of the question for the Jets.

And if that happens, there's no way we'll be in position for Watkins or Evans.

But I'd gladly take a playmaking TE like Ebron and then grab a receiver like Moncrief in the 2nd/3rd.

Oh yeah, and throw the bank at Jairus Byrd if he hits FA. This defense needs a ballhawking, cover safety even more than a pure edgerusher at OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

But I'd gladly take a playmaking TE like Ebron and then grab a receiver like Moncrief in the 2nd/3rd.

Oh yeah, and throw the bank at Jairus Byrd if he hits FA. This defense needs a ballhawking, cover safety even more than a pure edgerusher at OLB.
    I agree that I think we end up with about 8 or 9 wins.

As far as Watkins & Evans go, there's a lot of stock to rise & drop to go.

Don't forget about Marqise Lee. He'll bounce back, it's almost definite. If anything, he will test very well at the combine, which will rise him back into top WR talk.

As far as them dropping to us, I think it's very possible at least with 1 of the 2. Depends on how many #1 WR needy teams will pick before us. All I can see is the Rams, Raiders & Panthers. I think Hakeem Nicks signs with the Panthers, or 1 of those teams, which would bring it down to 2 teams. Then it would come down to if they obtain a WR through trade/cap casualty or feel like a surprise WR like Brandin Cooks, Jordan Matthews or an LSU WR is a better fit for the team.

We'll see. Worse come to worse, I think we should offer our 2nd or both 3rd rd picks for Josh Gordon before I settle for anyone besides Watkins, Evans or even Lee.

I fully agree about Jarius Byrd. I think our only 2 targets should be Jarius Byrd & Orapko or Jimmy Graham.
    Singing high impact players at Safety & OLB would do wonders leading into the draft.

How much do you think Byrd will cost? I agree we need safety help, but not at the expense of loading up on the offensive skill positions. You also have to figure that Wilk is going to be extended this offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    How much do you think Byrd will cost? I agree we need safety help, but not at the expense of loading up on the offensive skill positions. You also have to figure that Wilk is going to be extended this offseason.
    Byrd will probably get a contract in the $35 million range over 5-6 years.

I'd give it to him.

Aside from maybe Eric Weddle, he's the best cover safety in the game and a total ballhawk.

After we get rid of Sanchez and Holmes, we're projected to have over $40 million in cap space. Personally, I'd use the bulk of the money to re-sign Wilkerson, sign Byrd, and add a mid-level passrusher to replace Pace.

And with the 10-12 draft picks we're set to have, I'd devote the majority of them to the offense.

At least two WR's, a TE, a RB, and another OL or two.

Byrd will probably get a contract in the $35 million range over 5-6 years.

I'd give it to him.

Aside from maybe Eric Weddle, he's the best cover safety in the game and a total ballhawk.

After we get rid of Sanchez and Holmes, we're projected to have over $40 million in cap space. Personally, I'd use the bulk of the money to re-sign Wilkerson, sign Byrd, and add a mid-level passrusher to replace Pace.

And with the 10-12 draft picks we're set to have, I'd devote the majority of them to the offense.

At least two WR's, a TE, a RB, and another OL or two.
    I think we'll end up with more cap space than people expect.

Aside from getting rid of Sanchez & Holmes, I think we restructure Cromartie & maybe Harris. I also think Goodson will be a cap casualty because we don't have time for him to heal up & get back into shape after that. I think we also restructured his contract to benefit us if we cut him after the season.

Re-sign Mo & Kerley , sign Byrd, sign an OLB (Orapko?).
    If we're too far back in draft & other WR needy teams are in front of us, I don't think we end up with a Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins. Unless Marqise Lee impressed at combine, I can see JEts talking to Browns about Josh Gordon for maybe a 2nd rd pick. His contract is very friendly too.

I would definitely target Lache Seastrunk or Melvin Gordon in the draft to replace Goodson & be more of our premier RB.

I don't know about Byrd to be honest. He has plantar fasciitis, which won't really be cured, but only controlled. He's already missed significant time because of it, and he's made a point about being a diva and getting his money, much in the same sense that we all hated Revis for. I don't think we'll be going down that road again, as talented as Byrd is. Even the Bills fanbase hates him for holding out on the team. Byrd is a really good player, but I'm not sure how this injury is going to affect him in the long term because as a safety, he's pretty much running around out there on every play. He'll still be better than what we have, but for a guy that makes such a deal about being paid, with this injury, and the money that he's probably going to be asking for, I'd pass. If he takes a Laron Landry type, play one year to prove yourself type deal, then yes, sign me up.

Lee's stock is falling big time now, but I think he recovers well as long as he's able to run at the combine. Eerily similar to Keenan Allen almost. Would love for him to fall to us in the second maybe, but I doubt he's going to be that hampered.

I think Tavon Austin is putting a damper on De'Anthony Thomas' value right now. Unfortunately, in the NFL, the CBs are fast as well, so Tavon can't really seem to separate as much as he's used to in college. And since he's small, his catching radius is small, so the QB has to be even more precise than usual. Also prevents too many deep passes because it's hard to drop a pass right over a defender when the receiver is small, thus making every throw dangerous. It's actually one of the best things that Geno does, but I don't think Bradford is very good at it.

Evan's value seems to be going up big time, but it'll really depend on what he does at the combine. If he runs fast, he's a lock for the first. But if he's slow, I think he starts to slip.

I think we focus more on the offensive playmakers next year at the top of the draft and free agency. Personally, I think one of the advantages of having a very good pass rush is being able to put in young prospects at positions like safety and letting them grow on the job because they aren't tested as often because the QB needs to get the ball out quickly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Seriously?? The guy isnt a track star but he has more than enough speed to play WR at the next level. Watch the Alabama game, he ran away from their defense all day.
    Yeah your right, that was a dumb comment by me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yeah your right, that was a dumb comment by me.