Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After Watching The NE Game Again ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm in Geno's corner and really hope he's the guy...but that's not what I saw. And I'm not talking about the INT's.

His deep balls were all short, the one to Hill, the one to Gates and the one to the Powell (I think it was Powell)

and on crossing patterns a lot of balls were thrown behind receivers (I think at least 5 or 6) Some of them were caught, others were drops...

He needs to lead his receivers more on both deep balls and crossing/out patterns. ... Hopefully that's something he can learn.
    In TC Geno had to share snaps with #1s with Sanchez and Simms. Then he had the ankle injury and couldn't lean on his ankle. Now he is practicing and getting all the snaps with starting WRs. He will get better quickly in the next several games.

How did Brady look on those long passes? Some good and some overthown. It was windy and rainy with a wet ball. Hard to be accurate under those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    In TC Geno had to share snaps with #1s with Sanchez and Simms. Then he had the ankle injury and couldn't lean on his ankle. Now he is practicing and getting all the snaps with starting WRs. He will get better quickly in the next several games.

How did Brady look on those long passes? Some good and some overthown. It was windy and rainy with a wet ball. Hard to be accurate under those conditions.
    I'm hoping that was the case.

I completely agree, he's had less than half a training camp. And for a rookie that's really tough.

What's good is he doesn't really seem to be making bad decisions, some bad throws yes, but not bad decisions.

While He missed some open spots (that will most certainly come, he's shown he can think on his feet)

If he can reign in the accuracy, lead his receivers he may actually be the guy we've been waiting for.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=junker68;4988196]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    By the time Namath got to the NFL, he had already had at least one knee operation. Back in those days, those surgeries weren't as successful as they are today. I don't recall Namath being particularly "speedy" as a Jet.

Watch some of Namath's college tapes when he runs. He was quick, before the surgery obviously.

I was surprised when I saw his speed.
    Did you even read my post?

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post

I'm pretty sure Simms wasn't taking snaps with the 1's, but I agree with your point.

I think the elements played a major part in the performance for both Qbs, but Geno looked pretty terrible, especially after the INT in the red zone. It was bad luck, that it bounced right to the defender, but it was certainly a bad throw. He was late on the throw, and then it just went down hill from there.

Is it just me, but on the final play, did anyone else feel like Hill was actually open and if that's a good pass, he could've taken off down the field? Another thing that popped up, was Geno refusing to run. This was my biggest problem with him on his college tape. He would leave surefire first downs on the field (especially facing tough defenses) by not rushing, and trying to throw it. I thought Geno had some opportunity to run the ball and get first downs, but he didn't do it. I don't know if footing was a problem on the field.

That said, his throw to Gates was a GREAT throw. It was placed exactly where only Gates had a shot at it, and he threw that while running to his left, tailing away from his hand side like a screwball almost. It's just a shame Gates was born with no hands.

All in all, a bad game for him. But these are growing pains of a young QB. Have to deal with them, because even guys like Peyton Manning struggled when they first stepped in. Clamoring for replacements, 2 games into a career isn't going to help the team, and we'll be stuck in perpetual search for a QB. And the fan's impatience is the reason big market teams go after over the hill guys with big names to appease the fans in free agency, which never work out. Have patience. I have faith in Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Is Geno the most physically gifted QB we have had since Namath? I have only been watching since 85, but since then, the team has not had a QB with his combination of arm/speed.
    Quincy Carter : P

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Additional Geno thoughts:

- Yes its frustrating to be going through the development of a rookie QB again but that's not
    Smith's fault

- You can't dismiss the fact that he had to prepare and play two games in the space of 4 days.
    So much information and little practice time may have played a part in his performance on
    Thursday. From this point forward though we should start to learn what kind of "student"
    Smith is with our schedule returning to normal. You want to see improvement and fewer
    mistakes. I will say this though Mornhinweg must think Smith has the capacity to retain
    his offense just by the amount of passes he's allowed him to throw (73 attempts). Because
    when an OC doesn't trust a QB he'll scale back everything

- The traits Smith has shown so far give me hope:

* Standing in the pocket and delivering the ball downfield while the rush is coming

* Dynamic physical ability (arm strength and speed) to lift a team

* Poise and good body language when things are not going right
    You are absolutely on the money KRL. Its frustrating to see so many Sanchez fans licking their chops to have a go at Geno for replacing their hero. If Geno helps this team to be consistently good, who cares about any other QB. Just win! That is what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You are absolutely on the money KRL. Its frustrating to see so many Sanchez fans licking their chops to have a go at Geno for replacing their hero. If Geno helps this team to be consistently good, who cares about any other QB. Just win! That is what it is all about.
    Lets stop the Sanchez talk....its irrelevant he won't be back till week 11. His Jets career is over!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    Lets stop the Sanchez talk....its irrelevant he won't be back till week 11. His Jets career is over!
    Who was this Sanchez guy??

Oh I remember now, the Jets worst high round QB bust not named Browning Nagle

No QB is perfect every game.
    Sometimes, when your QB is having a rough game, individual players have to help him out my making tough catches.
    I mean did you guys see the catch Jordy Nelson made for Rogers on the sideline?
    Meanwhile, Gates drops a ball that was thrown right in his bread basket in the endzone. Hill fumbles a ball that was easily a 30 yard play, Spadola dropped one right in his chest that would have been 25 yards, Hill let a high throw go through his hands, tough catch but guys make those plays sometimes & Gates had the one over the middle bounced off of him, & the little 8 yard drop to Genos left on 2nd down that gave us 3rd & long.
    If our guys had made those catches, sports radio would have been lit up with kudos for him. Instead, we have Jet fans asking for Matt Simms?
    Crazy

I was impressed with Geno. Yes, he threw pics but he looked solid, the game was not too big for him. He was calm and the pics were nothing more than bad throws which will improve with experience as he understands the speed of the game.