Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 141

Thread: The camera never showed the ball hitting the ground, should've been called a TD...

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    The camera never showed the ball hitting the ground, should've been called a TD...

    We got jobbed on that call, the play was called a TD on the field with no irrefutable evidence to overturn, but the refs were in top form last night, the Edelman fumble was also a terrible call.

  2. #2
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like
    It definitely was not a TD because Gates did not control the ball through his landing. Instead he bobbled the ball in the endzone and never regained sole possession of it. However he did gain mutual possession of it outside the end zone without evidence that the ball ever hit the ground.

    The correct call would have been placing the ball at the 1 foot line, and in my memory that would also have been a 1st down.

  3. #3
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    We got jobbed on that call, the play was called a TD on the field with no irrefutable evidence to overturn, but the refs were in top form last night, the Edelman fumble was also a terrible call.
    Two HUGE calls in the game. Would've liked to see how the game played out if we got those calls.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    In reality, if that play was called an interception, it would almost make more sense...

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,101
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought i was the only 1 who saw this. The Ball never touched the ground. It was either an Int or a TD . I had to turn off the braodcast on NFL Network and listen to the Radio feed. The 2 guys on NFL Network especially Mayack was horrendous.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just started another thread on this. Here's what I posted:

    Maybe this has been beaten to death already -- I haven't had time to check the board much today. But I didn't see a threat on this, and I really thought that the call on the overturned Gates TD was wrong.

    Before I get jumped on -- yes, I saw the ball move, and yes, I agree it wasn't a TD. BUT...in no replay angle shown on TV was there ever clear evidence the ball hit the ground either. And, given that the ref on the scene ruled that Gates ended up with possession on the ground (not the defender), there is no way that should have been called an incomplete pass. The replay showed the ball moving as he fell from the endzone onto the playing field...then you can't see what happened to the ball after that. So, I can understand ruling that the TD call was incorrect, but it should have stayed a completed pass, marked at the 1 yard line (or wherever he was when he was on the ground, when the ref ruled that he had possession). I believe that would have been a first down Jets.

    This was the fear when replay was first instituted a decade or so ago -- that refs would use it to overturn calls or make rulings without "incontrovertible evidence." This is the perfect example of that. It looks LIKELY that the ball hit the ground after he bobbled it...but we cannot see it hitting the ground. All we know is that when the ref did get to the two players on the ground, he ruled that Gates had the ball. No way this should have been called an incompletion, and really ****ty job by Mayock and the other announcer to basically endorse the call.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    It definitely was not a TD because Gates did not control the ball through his landing. Instead he bobbled the ball in the endzone and never regained sole possession of it. However he did gain mutual possession of it outside the end zone without evidence that the ball ever hit the ground.

    The correct call would have been placing the ball at the 1 foot line, and in my memory that would also have been a 1st down.
    good call

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    Just started another thread on this. Here's what I posted:

    Maybe this has been beaten to death already -- I haven't had time to check the board much today. But I didn't see a threat on this, and I really thought that the call on the overturned Gates TD was wrong.

    Before I get jumped on -- yes, I saw the ball move, and yes, I agree it wasn't a TD. BUT...in no replay angle shown on TV was there ever clear evidence the ball hit the ground either. And, given that the ref on the scene ruled that Gates ended up with possession on the ground (not the defender), there is no way that should have been called an incomplete pass. The replay showed the ball moving as he fell from the endzone onto the playing field...then you can't see what happened to the ball after that. So, I can understand ruling that the TD call was incorrect, but it should have stayed a completed pass, marked at the 1 yard line (or wherever he was when he was on the ground, when the ref ruled that he had possession). I believe that would have been a first down Jets.

    This was the fear when replay was first instituted a decade or so ago -- that refs would use it to overturn calls or make rulings without "incontrovertible evidence." This is the perfect example of that. It looks LIKELY that the ball hit the ground after he bobbled it...but we cannot see it hitting the ground. All we know is that when the ref did get to the two players on the ground, he ruled that Gates had the ball. No way this should have been called an incompletion, and really ****ty job by Mayock and the other announcer to basically endorse the call.
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN, and agree man.

  9. #9
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like
    How Gates made this team is beyond me. He may be faster than Braylon but the guy can't catch the ball.

  10. #10
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gates and spadola suck

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    We got jobbed on that call, the play was called a TD on the field with no irrefutable evidence to overturn, but the refs were in top form last night, the Edelman fumble was also a terrible call.
    Should have never been an issue. Gates dropping that pass was inexcusable. Guy sucks really bad, the Dolphins even know this.

  12. #12
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HighJetsFan View Post
    Gates and spadola suck
    I'm still undecided on Spadola. He dropped the one pass that was thrown to him. Want to see him get more reps.

    Have my doubts as to whether Spadola and Geno can ever develop good chemistry though.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    I'm still undecided on Spadola. He dropped the one pass that was thrown to him. Want to see him get more reps.

    Have my doubts as to whether Spadola and Geno can ever develop good chemistry though.
    How do you guys decide on a player after one NFL play, or even come close to deciding? This is the same crap with Vlad.

    You have to have control to make a catch. There was never control and the camera showed that. Very simple

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    How do you guys decide on a player after one NFL play, or even come close to deciding? This is the same crap with Vlad.

    You have to have control to make a catch. There was never control and the camera showed that. Very simple
    I agree on both counts.

    I think a similar situation occurred on the incomplete pass that Thompkins dove for in the left corner of the end zone.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    I notice no Pats fans have weighed in on the substance of this thread.

    the silence is telling.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I notice no Pats fans have weighed in on the substance of this thread.

    the silence is telling.
    I don't like to weigh in on talk like this because I know you guys are passionate fans and I don't like to start trouble right after a game....but since you asked...Whinning about calls is boring and useless. No one has it out for the Jets. It's just all silly. Calls are gonna be made. They are what they are. It's what your team does around the call that matters. The game was lost because of 3 interceptions. If you truly believe referees are making calls to favor one team over another you are 12 years old or need professional help.

    You guys should be looking ahead. You have a defense that will keep you in games and a young athletic QB who looks as though he can handle the big stage. There will be growing pains for sure but that's a part of the deal. In fact, that's the fun part of sports, you never know what to expect. Don't waste energy on whinning about calls, they are part of the game. It's like complaining about paying your car payment....what's the point?

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I notice no Pats fans have weighed in on the substance of this thread.

    the silence is telling.
    Invite the swine.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Invite the swine.
    Oink oink

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,964
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Oink oink
    Make fun all you want, the Patriots looked as terrible as the Jets - and by all "expert" analysis, the Pats were not only lucky to win, but were outplayed.

    Forget comparing the Pats to the Jets. They played a subpar Bills and Jets team the first two weeks. The Pats may lose outright to the Dolphins (twice) and lose the division. They're that average this year. And for all those people who say things like "Brady made Welker" - oh no. It looks like the opposite as of now. I'll give up 15 receptions to a receiver averaging 5 yards/catch.

    Fair is fair - and that's the reality of week 2 in the NFL.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Oink oink
    Lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us