Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pats/Jets thoughts

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Pats/Jets thoughts

-The short week of practice, 2 games in 4 days absolutely impacts the Jets more than it did the Pats because the Jets are playing a rookie QB and it was the 1st and 2nd game of the season, it was the biggest handicap going into the game. Sure, the Pats injuries presented an equalizer, but it's not as big as the Jets starting a rookie QB in his second game, and first on the road, early in the season, and on a Thursday game, where preparation is limited, time is limited for players to recover physically from the previous game and where most NFL games are notoriously sloppy on a Thursday night. I HATE Thursday night football because of exactly this fact.

- OL performance was outstanding, pass blocking and runblocking. Pats too have a pretty good defensive front, the work by Ducasse was just outstanding, and great to see, kind of funny those that have dumped on Ducasse have been pretty quiet.

- Smith was up and down, it's been well documented. It's a shame, if the Jets at least tie the game on that 2nd to last drive in the game, the drive where Geno gets intercepted inside the 15, man, it might have been a different result. To me, the Jets had the Pats against the wall for the most part in that 2nd half, and especially after they scored the TD to make it 13-10, but couldn't get it done. That was a nice drive up until the INT inside the 15, and to me, the important factor with Geno is that despite up and down play, and a game where he i clearly thinking a lot about what Belichick was going to do in terms of the different looks, it was great to see Geno stand tall and almost execute, his fight and poise continue to be impressive, despite his obvious rookie growing pains.

- Ivory made a jump this week, as Geno improves and gains confidence, the offense will improve, the running game will improve. I think Geno has shown a lot in spurts, but is obviously going through rookie growing pains, but I think there is a lot to build on against two decent to quality defenses.

- To me, Smith's biggest issue is the speed of the game is fast for him right now, execution is off, on the deep ball and as the play is developing after snap. I think as we progress in the season, that will only improve, but to me, many of the mistakes is simply Geno being a rookie, the game being a little fast for him, but his poise and leadership, and his ability are there. I would have liked to see Geno use his legs a little more to make plays, he needs to do this early right now until he is more confident in his play, until he can see the field better, and until the game slows down a little.

- Those killing Mornhinweg are ridiculous and ignorant. The run/pass ratio was 30/37 that is balance, with 1 timeout for most of the 2nd half, as Geno burned 2 TO's early, that is a mistake Geno and the team needs to correct, the Jets were forced into more passing situations. I had no problem with the calls, and it is actually a good sign that MM is not hesitating to opening up the offense with Geno, it means Geno has a good grasp of the system and can handle it. The INT's to me was on execution of the throw, not so much his decision making, I think he picked the right spots to throw the ball.

- Those already killing MM were the same that killed Schotty and Sparano for the exact OPPOSITE of reasons, too much ground and pound, and not being able to put an NFL competent passing attack on the field. People better wake up, this isn't a ground and pound league right now, the rules almost make it impossible for the smash mouth style of offense to work, and to me, we should WANT the philosophy of the offense to include a style that uses the passing game to set up the run, and sprinkle in some smash mouth football at times. People need to understand what MM is, the WCO is not a smash mouth, ground and pound ball control offense. MM is doing a LOT to protect Smith being a rookie, but it doesn't need to be with ground and pound.

- Mornhinweg and the coaches need time to evaluate the talent on offense. Holmes is still rounding into shape, the team is young at WR otherwise, the offense is new, the media needs to STFU and fans need to chill after two freaking games. 2nd game and already we have morons calling for MM to be fired? Really? This fanbase has become really awful, it's a damn shame.

- Defense was awesome, despite having some help with some Patriot injuries. Not worried about Milliner, I actually like the move by Rex to do it, he's a rookie, it's early. I thought Walls did a good job once in there

- Defense continues to impress, they will only get better, I think Coples is back this week, unfortunately, we may lose Wilkerson for a week or maybe a couple more, though, I guess no news is good news at this point.

- Davis has taken a big leap in his performance, he's becoming a leader, and his range is pretty impressive

- Harris is playing as fast as I've seen him play since he was a rookie

- It was disappointing that the Jets didn't use the TE more in the game plan, or maybe Geno felt that the plays they did call weren't there

- Kerley was missed, Gates was disappointing, but I'd like to see Gates get a chance to respond this week

- If Edwards is healthy, they need to make a move, 1 of the 3 in Gates, Spadola, and Obamanu need to go, we need more talent at WR on this team. I wonder if a player like Shipley is available or probably more importantly, healthy? I would even consider brining Massoquoi back. I think Gates sticks because MM likes speed WR's to stretch the field, but Gates needs to step up, the WR play needs to improve and fast, but it was good to see Holmes pick it up a little, he'll get better each week. Hill is showing flashes of making a jump this year, 4-87 is nothing to throw away, not with a rookie QB, but he's got to secure that football, and he still needs to make a jump

- Mike Goodson is going to be a big part of the offense when he gets back

- Sick and tired of the Pats getting preferrential treatment from the refs, and it happened multiple times in the game, sometimes it's the timing of the penalty, and the criticality of the call that helps the Pats at a crucial point in the drive that would have resulted in a change of possession, or vice versa, stopping a drive by the Jets.

- Barnes is better than I thought he was, a lot of speed in that OLB spot, I like the role he is in.

- Loved Ryan's dimeanor and passion on the sideline, he really wanted that game, and the post game handshake was telling, it was the first time I saw Ryan display a genuine disregard for Belichick, he usually shows the obligatory respect etc, this is the Rex Ryan this team needs, his post game was equally as telling for me, angry, accountability, I liked what he said and how he said it, that is the Rex we need, the one that say's little to the hacks that pound him during the week, and smart calculated emotion on the weekend.

- Team is playing hard, they seemed to be rallying in support of Geno, even Holmes, I liked the way he put his arm around Geno after some plays. I like how Geno goes over to his WR's after a bad series or a drop that killed a series, it's the little things, but that and his post game where he took complete accountability was impressive.

This loss sucked, it was ours for the taking, even on the road, I cannot WAIT for the second game, Coples will be back, defense will be improved, Geno will have some games under his belt, the Jets will have Goodson back, and hopefully a better performance out of the WR's and who knows who may be added to the team by then.

On to Buffalo, a good 10 days to prepare, this could be good for not just the team, but especially Geno. It will be interesting to see what the Jets do with the roster spot opened up by putting Sanchez on 8 week IR
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 09-14-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post.
    I agree for the most part. I think Cro needs to step it a bit and Milliner needs to get his football shape back. I think his shoulder injure rehab prevent him from getting into shape. Walls is doing a great job at CB.

Geno is much better than I expected and his ankle seems to be near 100%. If we had caught a few of those critical passes , we win. The Refs calls were also the difference in the game.

I think we beat them in our house next time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Nice post.
    I agree for the most part. I think Cro needs to step it a bit and Milliner needs to get his football shape back. I think his shoulder injure rehab prevent him from getting into shape. Walls is doing a great job at CB.

Geno is much better than I expected and his ankle seems to be near 100%. If we had caught a few of those critical passes , we win. The Refs calls were also the difference in the game.

Agreed on Cro, but I didn't seen any issue with him in this game, after a down game last week. I also think Cro is working himself back to 100% after injuring his hip in the pre-season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Agreed on Cro, but I didn't seen any issue with him in this game, after a down game last week. I also think Cro is working himself back to 100% after injuring his hip in the pre-season.
    After sacking Brady, his hold gave them a first down. He also got beat bad on a long go route that would have been a TD if Brady hadn't overthrown the ball by 5 yds.

Maybe the hip is the reason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest concern is Geno seems to consistently throw behind his receivers. I've never played QB, so I don't know how much of that is a timing issue (which will come with practice/chemistry) and how much of it is inaccuracy (which could be a career killer).

I'm not saying two weeks is a long enough time to make a determination either way, but it's definitely something worth keeping an eye on . . .

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    My biggest concern is Geno seems to consistently throw behind his receivers. I've never played QB, so I don't know how much of that is a timing issue (which will come with practice/chemistry) and how much of it is inaccuracy (which could be a career killer).

I'm not saying two weeks is a long enough time to make a determination either way, but it's definitely something worth keeping an eye on . . .
    It's an everything issue that Geno will overcome with time, consistency with the ball handlers, and experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    It's an everything issue that Geno will overcome with time, consistency with the ball handlers, and experience.
    We all hope so, but I GUARANTEE you we could find posts from four years ago saying the same thing about our last rookie QB . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really liked Ivory. Strong, powerful runner. Had about 4.3 ypc. Wish he would have gotten some more touches. The TD carry should have been his, too (he DID do the work, after all).

#yoloswag

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no doubt the Geno is a 'Man'. He took a sure shot flush from two defenders and got the pass off. There was a penalty on the play by the Pats. Pats also have played two Rookie QB's in a row. Let's not overlook that.

Geno needs timing with his WR's and this week of practice will get them synchronized.

I cannot nit pick about the D. They are playing 'lights out'

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Post Ray Ray

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Nice Post Ray Ray
    Good post. Agree that Rex looked very pissed at end of game. I thought he WAS going to punch BB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i thought rex outcoached BB. execution of the game plan was piss poor. refs overturning TD and fumble were killer.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing that I kept repeating in my mind is Clyde Gates is hot steaming garbage. Michael Irvin pretty much said the same thing after the game.

Wish Braylon was here instead.

Even though the Jets lost I was actually pretty pleased with what I saw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
    The thing that I kept repeating in my mind is Clyde Gates is hot steaming garbage. Michael Irvin pretty much said the same thing after the game.

Wish Braylon was here instead.

Even though the Jets lost I was actually pretty pleased with what I saw.
    And I agree with him. If that blown TD was not over ruled , then Gates would be perceived differently. He needs more timing work with Geno. In general it seems to be out of sync a tad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i thought rex outcoached BB. execution of the game plan was piss poor. refs overturning TD and fumble were killer.
    Yeah I thought Thompkins held on to the ball too, they did not even show any video of the ball moving. It is a conspiracy!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Yeah I thought Thompkins held on to the ball too, they did not even show any video of the ball moving. It is a conspiracy!
    Congrats on your awesome team. They really look like a Superbowl contender

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    There has to be clear and irrefutable evidence on replay to overturn the call on the field.The Thompkins 'catch' clearly showed that but neither the Gates play nor the fumble offered any such certainty.Don't believe in conspiracies myself but you have to admit both calls were dubious

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Nice post.

AGREED! Smith will grow quickly. He is supremely talented and ready to take the next step. Rex has the team playing well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think with a second year Geno or Just Sanchez being in the game and we would've won by 7. The 4th qtr pick on the 10 shouldn't have even been a pass play.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    Considering all that has transpired with the Pats and the timing, Bill Belichick should be considered for coach of the year if he brings that ragtag group to the playoffs this year. No other HC in the world would be 2-0 with that team.