Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My dinner with Tone, take 2

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Great story Millsan, but you should know that you can never post anything positive about any Jet player here because the piranha will swarm and devour you like chum. I BELIEVE IT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF ABOUT THE MAN WHO WAS NOT FIGURED TO SEE THE FIELD UNTIL WEEK 5 AND WAS OUT THERE IN WEEK 1.
    Thanks. I figured I would share, knowing people will be people. Some will ***** and moan no matter what, and a large number will enjoy in silence. I just hope that people understand how much of a hard worker and good man Tone is.

Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    Thanks. I figured I would share, knowing people will be people. Some will ***** and moan no matter what, and a large number will enjoy in silence. I just hope that people understand how much of a hard worker and good man Tone is.
    These guys are people too.

I hope he knows booing isn't personal.

Its very simple to talk sh*t about any player on an internet message board but these Guys are professional athletes who are blessed with talent but work their tails off...tone probably comes across as aloof or even a jerk but there is no way this guy hasn't worked hard his entire life to get to where he is...great job by you as well giving back to support a charity like his...nice that you got rewarded

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Glad you had a nice time and think highly of him. Tell me when he is going to become an actual #1 Wr rather than an over inflated #2 who is paid like one and tell me when the guy is going to be a team player all the time rather than only when it suits him. Can't wait till the jets cut this guy. He has totally made his own rep with his level of play, poor past character and being way over paid.

I understand, thanks for the story, good for you!!!!

It's a shame people dump on Tone with so much ignorance. To me, Tone had his problems in Pitt, he blew up at the end of 10, but it was a far different scenario, he's a competitor, hates losing, I think there were real issues with Schotty and it reached a boiling point. I can tell he takes the game and his team seriously, despite the noise from fans.

I would love to know how healthy he is now or how close he is to being Tone again. Also, I'm curious if he ever talked about his disdain for the media, I'm convinced he puts up a huge front when talking to the media because he has no respect for any of them, so everything he says, we as fans should take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Glad you had a nice time and think highly of him. Tell me when he is going to become an actual #1 Wr rather than an over inflated #2 who is paid like one and tell me when the guy is going to be a team player all the time rather than only when it suits him. Can't wait till the jets cut this guy. He has totally made his own rep with his level of play, poor past character and being way over paid.
    This right here is as ignorant as it gets.

His level of play, what has been wrong with it? Last year, after injury, it's a wash, he started the season as hot as any WR in the league. This year, he's still working his way back to being 100%. Schotty isn't making many friends in St Louis since his departure.

The only semblance of a point you might have is obvious his contract, but what has he been working with, until MM, the offense has been complete garbage because of the scheme and coaching.

I have mixed feelings about tone.. Him doing charity is nice.. But The charity is for a disease his son has I believe i read somewhere.. He doesn't like to lose ( or practice hard ) but does comes up big in pressure situations.. I just would have asked him why he threw ball up in the air after getting hurt last yr in SF? Ha

He is no fan of Shotty.

He is no fan of the media and believes the media stuff feeds fan doom and gloom and booing.

He works with the WR kids on all sorts of stuff. He shared some of the tiny things that seem unimportant he preaches to the guys, that he has learned from others in the league. Up to those guys to take his advice.

As far as him not practicing hard, that is as inaccurate as possible. I am not going to go into everything we talked about, but you are talking out of the wrong orifice.

He is no fan of Shotty.

He is no fan of the media and believes the media stuff feeds fan doom and gloom and booing.

He works with the WR kids on all sorts of stuff. He shared some of the tiny things that seem unimportant he preaches to the guys, that he has learned from others in the league. Up to those guys to take his advice.

As far as him not practicing hard, that is as inaccurate as possible. I am not going to go into everything we talked about, but you are talking out of the wrong orifice.
    He's right, and it's why bashing the media is my #1 MO on this board a lot of the times.

Why, because the media rips through this fan base and saturates the mindset of fans who don't know any better. Look at Seattle, look at that fan base, the way they give it, EVERY SUNDAY for its team, I bet the media isn't feeding the garbage out there. And save me the "well look at how good Seattle is...." Oh really, before they were as good as they are, they SUCKED, but that fan base didn't give a ****, there was no sense of entitlement, no booing thanks to the hack media pumping the doom and gloom and controversy with agenda drive ridicule at every turn.

Why does the media get away with the crap they do, fans need to take a stand, if I had the resources, I'd be taking a HUGE stand, to embarrass them for the complete aholes they are.

He is no fan of Shotty.

Ha ok not like you have a bias on this subject after palling around with the guy remember last yr he arrived to camp late ? Then he threw a fit when sparano had the guys running non stop and had verbally let it be known on the practice field before leaving practice early with a " tight hamstring" then this year he takes his time coming back just in enough time to get him prepared for game 1.. The jet brass were rumored to think he was " milking" his rehab..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ha ok not like you have a bias on this subject after palling around with the guy remember last yr he arrived to camp late ? Then he threw a fit when sparano had the guys running non stop and had verbally let it be known on the practice field before leaving practice early with a " tight hamstring" then this year he takes his time coming back just in enough time to get him prepared for game 1.. The jet brass were rumored to think he was " milking" his rehab..
    And on what basis do you think this crap about him milking injuries, and not working hard in practice is even remotely true? What is your evidence?

That's an awesome story to be able to hang out with a Jet......He's not perfect on or off the field BUT he is much better in both areas than the media and some fans would like you to believe

He's been in the absolute worst situation a WR can be in while part of the Jets due to QB/scheme, so it's hard to judge him off of stats alone.....But even coming off a serious foot injury he is easily our best receiver and it's not even close.

I hope we are able to keep him at a lower price in the future, as he is an ideal #2 WR and seems to be a solid mentor for the younger WRs and Geno
    Last edited by King Koopa; 09-16-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And on what basis do you think this crap about him milking injuries, and not working hard in practice is even remotely true? What is your evidence?
    It was a bogus report......This came out the next day:

A team insider told Mehta that Holmes “desperately” wants to return from his lisfranc injury as soon as possible, that Holmes is working vigorously every day and that the Jets are happy with his work ethic. Mehta also reports that while Holmes can’t practice, he’s helping younger receivers, both on the practice field and in meetings.

Lol shocker Ray your coming in defense of a jet player, I'm shocked hey I'm not saying he is any worse than prima dona WRs on other teams but the guy called his teammates on multiple occasions to the press.. You gonna say that never happened? as a guy who defends jet players 100% of the time who's side did u take when Holmes twice in two weeks said in interviews the Oline was weak? And just to prove you wrong about 2012 training camp incident, rex is quoted trying to put out the flames " of holmes " mini meltdown" and Holmes Himself confirmed it..Totally bs huh? Lol.. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jets-practice/
    Last edited by Cleansweep2013; 09-16-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lol shocker Ray your coming in defense of a jet player, I'm shocked hey I'm not saying he is any worse than prima dona WRs on other teams but the guy called his teammates on multiple occasions to the press.. You gonna say that never happened? as a guy who defends jet players 100% of the time who's side did u take when Holmes twice in two weeks said in interviews the Oline was weak? And just to prove you wrong about 2012 training camp incident, rex is quoted trying to put out the flames " of holmes " mini meltdown" and Holmes Himself confirmed it..Totally bs huh? Lol.. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jets-practice/
    Do you blame him for flipping his lid while playing in that horrendous Sparano offense? Whether you like it or not, Tone is the #1 receiver on this team. He's a good player. I hope he stays on the roster for a few more years to help Geno and bring along Hill and Kerley. And the healthier he gets and more familiar he gets with the MM offense, he's going to show his talents.

Jets Insider VIP
    He's not my favorite player by far, he would probably catch a lot less crap if wasn't so overpaid. It's not his fault the Jets FO bumbled the salary cap.

This right here is as ignorant as it gets.

His level of play, what has been wrong with it? Last year, after injury, it's a wash, he started the season as hot as any WR in the league. This year, he's still working his way back to being 100%. Schotty isn't making many friends in St Louis since his departure.

The only semblance of a point you might have is obvious his contract, but what has he been working with, until MM, the offense has been complete garbage because of the scheme and coaching.
    His level of play? 746, 654 yards 52,51 catches as a number one WR who is PAID like a #1 WR. Quit on the team and the QB. Even on the play he got hurt he throws the ball away on the turf. He's still one strike away from a year long suspension from the league. Amazing timing of him being out for the length of time that lets him skip training camp. He is massively overrated with zero ability to be a #1 WR.

The sooner he is gone the better, hopefully as soon as this season is over.

Dude, next time you dine with him, can you ask him why he dogged his routes two years ago and why he is such a useless narcissist.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

He is no fan of Shotty.

I'm not a Tone hater like some on this site and I don't begrudge him getting paid - that was an arm's length negotiation between him and the Jets. If he is paid too much, take your anger out on Tanny, not him. And I got a good sense of what you're talking about re his preparation and teaching the younger guys from Hard Knocks - he spent a lot of time dropping some knowledge on the younger guys (McKnight specifically IIRC).

And I'm sure the media distorts stuff all the time, especially about him. But, its not like Tone does a great job of handling himself and coming off in the best light possible. He signs a deal and puts a shirtless shot of himself pounding a 40. He skips all of TC purporting to be injured only to be miraculously healed once its over. And then, when his team is down, he pretty much turns on the QB and the team in general. Yes, he may get a raw deal from time to time, but it doesn't come out of nowhere.

Again, I don't dislike Tone per se, and would be OK if he was on teh team next year (if his play warrants it), but he needs to take some responsibility for the global perception of his practice habits, etc. He may very well practice hard, but its hardly folks talking out of the wrong orifice - perhaps its simply taking what Tone puts out for his public persona and extrapolating it too far. Yes, its not particularly fair, but given today's media, its not particularly surprising either.

If Tone comes back to the dangerous threat he used to be, we don't have a half bad WR corp (assuming Hill can hold on to the ball).

Quote Originally Posted by HighJetsFan View Post
    Our star WR is eating dinner with this guy rather than preparing. Classic Tone.
    And you still haven't come back and posted anything since this above example of pure IDIOCY.