Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After watching the Bucs Saints Game proves Revis isnt worth 16 million

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol come on going to base that opinion on 1 game? Revis is coming back from serious injury.. He is still getting back to normal.. Bucs are paying revis so much because they didn't include anything guaranteed.. They can cut him next off season and walk away clean if they wanted too.. Atleast they are not stuck with a contract/player they want nothing to do with - ie Sanchez.. MT guaranteed every1 thinking can save a buck here and there.. But then when u realize contracts like Holmes, hunter, Sanchez are bad cant do anything about it..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis shut down the outside WR all day. The Bucs D kept them in a game their offense gave them no right to be in. Revis is the best jets player in the past 20 years and he was replaced with a rookie CB that just got benched for ineffectiveness.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Revis shut down the outside WR all day. The Bucs D kept them in a game their offense gave them no right to be in. Revis is the best jets player in the past 20 years and he was replaced with a rookie CB that just got benched for ineffectiveness.
    I'd rather have Wilkerson than Revis. No question about it.

And I'd have to go ahead and say Richard Sherman is more affective than Mevis at this point.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 09-16-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Call me crazy, but I still think there is a chance Revis could be on the Jets next year. I started a post about this in the offseason. With next year's cap, we would have enough room to pay Revis the 16M per year and still load up on offensive talent. In terms of the Bucs, if he doesnt continue to play well (hes been great the first 2 weeks) then they would cut him, and if he does play well Revis could hold out for some guaranteed money, possibly forcing the Bucs to cut him. We will have tons of cap room next year. This year it wouldnt of worked, most likely because of the $8M guarantee to Sanchez. Imagine losing the best player in team history for a guarantee to a subpar player so his feelings wouldnt be hurt when we didnt get peyton Manning?
    I'd be shocked if woody EVER allow his GM to acquire a Feinhold and Schwartz or whatever client ever again. It's clear to me that woody doesn't respect the way they do business and I can't say that I blame him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not arguing about the worth of a CB that can only cover one person. That's always been silly. This game proved that the Bucs defense is for real, and that maybe our offense isn't as bad as people think. Brees dropped how many points on them?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it odd that this thread was made after today's game. Tampa's defense was outstanding today. They could have blown New Orleans out if their QB wasn't so terrible. Brees was 6/15 throwing to his WRs today. That's awful. It was a shame to watch that defensive effort go to waste. Felt very much like watching the Jets. They had a miscommunication early in the game that resulted in the long Graham TD, but were money apart from that.

As I said in the game thread,Tampa's roster is loaded with talent (and even with all of the money spent, they still have $8M in cap space). There problem is that the only two spots where they fall short are also the two most important people on any team, the QB and head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    personally, I'm a HUGE Revis fan NEXT WEEK

go REVIS... Intercept that Queer crybaby quarterback 14 times but make sure you look very concerned and give him a nice sportsmanlike round of applause when he is carted off the field after your fellow Tampa Bay defensive linemen rip his head off his neck on a blitz....

GO REVIS, GO BUCS, KICK THEIR ARSE (IN WEEK THREE)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    After 2 weeks, with the game on the line Josh Freeman takes his team on drives that should have the Bucs with a 2-0 record. The defense and a kicker cost them both games. Kid played lousy, but he gave his team the chance to win both games.
    Freeman is awful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Call me crazy, but I still think there is a chance Revis could be on the Jets next year. I started a post about this in the offseason. With next year's cap, we would have enough room to pay Revis the 16M per year and still load up on offensive talent. In terms of the Bucs, if he doesnt continue to play well (hes been great the first 2 weeks) then they would cut him, and if he does play well Revis could hold out for some guaranteed money, possibly forcing the Bucs to cut him. We will have tons of cap room next year. This year it wouldnt of worked, most likely because of the $8M guarantee to Sanchez. Imagine losing the best player in team history for a guarantee to a subpar player so his feelings wouldnt be hurt when we didnt get peyton Manning?
    Dizzily isn't paying Revis $16m a year... Especially when we have Cro, Millner, Wilson and Walls. Better off spending half that on a playmaking Safety.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets made the right move and I love Revis

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree to an extent to be honest. Their defense has been very good, and they really held an excellent Saints team down until the very end. Where they get burned, is exactly where we get burned as well in prevent defense, where they rush 3, and let everyone sit back. Good QBs will pick apart those types of defenses, but the rest of the game, they had the Saints offense contained for the most part. Having a CB like Revis really takes away a major weapon for the offense. Their problem is offense, because Freeman is essentially a taller Sanchez.

I don't think Revis is worth $16 million, but I do think he makes their team exponentially better on defense. Just because he's not on our team anymore, we can't just dismiss his value. When he was here, it wasn't the WRs that were killing us, it was always the RB or TEs running around our slow LBs, but that was because our LB core was a weakness.

You still have to make the trade that we did, just because the money saved, helps us fill in the holes, and we are rebuilding.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I do not root for injuries or applaud dirty play per se I do hope that Tampa plays New England with just as much of a physical and yes, borderline dirty playing style as they did with us. I am sure Tom Brady and company will be uber-protected by the referees but Tampa's head hunting caused several of our guys to miss time and it would be nice if the pain were spread evenly here.

New England should get the same medicine.
    Last edited by EM31; 09-16-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    While I do not root for injuries or applaud dirty play per se I do hope that Tampa plays New England with just as much of a physical and yes, borderline dirty playing style as they did with us. I am sure Tom Brady and company will be uber-protected by the referees but Tampa's head hunting caused several of our guys to miss time and it would be nice if the pain were spread evenly here.

New England should get the same medicine.
    My first thought about this week's game was that those rookie WRs were going to be even more drop prone against the Bucs secondary. Then I notice Schefter pointed out on Twitter that the league is looking as suspending Dashon Goldson. What great timing!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Nobody is arguing Revis' talent or ability. When all is said and done, he'll go out as one of the top CBs to ever play the game.

But no CB is worth franchise QB money, nor having to deal with the constant holdouts and headaches Revis put us through. Tampa will find out soon enough that its deal with Revis isn't all that sweet; if he stays healthy all 16 games, there's no way he plays next year without guaranteed money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Jets made the right move and I love Revis
    THIS and we got a 1st round pick. I think Tampa overpaid personally.... wait til Revis holds out.

When he is done , he will have played for 4 teams and will be a journeyman.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    THIS and we got a 1st round pick. I think Tampa overpaid personally.... wait til Revis holds out.

When he is done , he will have played for 4 teams and will be a very very wealthy journeyman.
    Fixed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    This, plus with Richardson looking the part of a good player and we also have a probable 3rd coming next year.
    And if the Bucs keep playing this way, and we don't make the playoffs as well, that would give us 4 picks in the top 100 players. You hit 4 out of the top 100, plus the draft we had this year, you can rebuild a team FAST.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Revis's impact to a game varies. When he plays a game against a team like the Saints, a team that doesn't simply rely on a #1 WR and instead spreads the ball around to a whole bunch of weapons, Revis's impact is negligible. If Revis's guy is open, Brees will hit him. Otherwise, Colston (or whoever else is matched up against Revis) will simply have a quiet day (as is sometimes the case), and he'll feed Graham, Moore, Stills, Sproles or some other receiver.

When Revis has a steady diet of #1 receivers, as he did in his marquee year, Revis is very important. If your team is facing the Lions, Bears, Texans, Bengals and Cowboys over the next 5 weeks, having Revis is huge.

The fact that Revis Island exploded was partly a function of the schedule. Can't take away anything from his performance - it was other worldly, but it doesn't always shake out that way. Having Revis on Thursday night would have been huge. If he shadowed Edelman all game long, Brady would have been in big trouble.

Over the long haul though, paying a CB $16 million is not an efficient allocation of resources.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Revis's impact to a game varies. When he plays a game against a team like the Saints, a team that doesn't simply rely on a #1 WR and instead spreads the ball around to a whole bunch of weapons, Revis's impact is negligible. If Revis's guy is open, Brees will hit him. Otherwise, Colston (or whoever else is matched up against Revis) will simply have a quiet day (as is sometimes the case), and he'll feed Graham, Moore, Stills, Sproles or some other receiver.

When Revis has a steady diet of #1 receivers, as he did in his marquee year, Revis is very important. If your team is facing the Lions, Bears, Texans, Bengals and Cowboys over the next 5 weeks, having Revis is huge.

The fact that Revis Island exploded was partly a function of the schedule. Can't take away anything from his performance - it was other worldly, but it doesn't always shake out that way. Having Revis on Thursday night would have been huge. If he shadowed Edelman all game long, Brady would have been in big trouble.

Over the long haul though, paying a CB $16 million is not an efficient allocation of resources.
    We could have used him on Vincent Jackson also. VJ would not have made those big 3rd down plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He obviously is worth the money because someone paid it. I'm still waiting for someone on this board to tell us about the time they gave up a huge raise at another company out of loyalty to the one you were working at.