Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After Watching The NE Game Again ...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

After Watching The NE Game Again ...

It was painful but informative

Good

- Our ILB's again dominated, Harris & Davis were everywhere

- OLine in both phases were excellent. Colon, Mangold & Ducasse dominated NE inside.
    All the sacks given up were because Smith stayed in the pocket too long

- DLine again shutdown the running game and applied pressure without blitzing

- Holmes showed flashes of his old form

- Good balanced production from Powell & Ivory

Bad

- Milliner continues to allow free releases in the 5 yard area

- Malone had too many inconsistent punts

- Don't know if NE took away our TE's but we got no production from Winslow & Cumberland

- Gates, enough said

- Too many drops

Observations

- Some think Mornhinweg should have run the ball more. That's fine but he "schemed"
    one possible TD and one definite TD and Smith missed both throws. The first possible
    TD was when he got Powell matched up on Hightower. Powell smoked him down the sideline
    and was wide open, Smith threw it out of bounds. If Smith leads him, Powell has one
    safety to beat for a 70+ yard TD. The second definite TD was on the drive where Gates
    dropped the TD pass. The play before Mornhinweg used motion to get Hill "lost in the
    trash" by the time NE saw him he was all alone in the end zone but Smith left the
    pocket too early and missed him

- The first time we didn't put Wilson back on the punt return Kotwica/Ryan called for a
    block. And it would've worked but Darrin Walls was pulled down on an obvious hold but
    the refs didn't call it

- We were so close to winning the game at the 2 minute warning its not even funny. NE
    ran a pitch play to Ridley and he bobbled it 3 times before he secured it. When you
    watch the play you'll notice Cromartie just missed tackling him before he secured the
    ball. If Cro lit him up as he was bobbling it that ball would have been free

QB

- An uneven performance by Smith. He had some sweet passes to Hill, one that Hill
    caught and fumbled. And the other was a perfect sideline throw dropped right between
    two DB's into Hill's hands. Another excellent throw was to Gates on a seam pattern
    that would have put us into the redzone but of course Gates dropped it

- Give him credit for standing tall in the pocket and delivering balls even though a
    hit is coming

- The three INT's though were all the product of bad ball placement

- I was surprised at how long he stayed in the pocket which led to the sacks NE got.
    There were plenty of times he could have taken off and picked up nice yardage and
    kept drives alive. I wonder if the short week and lack of practice reps led to his
    indecision

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good observations.

This one was too painful for me to watch a second time, probably need another day or two, but there were definitely some positives.

I like the potential Geno has shown so far in his first two starts....just like you said KRL all 3 picks were the result of bad ball placement, not bad decisions. He did miss a handful of open wideouts though that you already pointed out, but hopefully the more playing time he gets the more the game slows down for him and he sees these plays that are there to be made.

Was happy to see Ivory play well, and Ducasse was killin it on some of those run blocks against Wilfork. Stephen Hill even showed some progress from last year despite so many friggin drops!

Gates and Milliner were disappointing to say the least. They both have room to improve, and Im hopeful Milliner just makes progress week to week, regardless of how big or small it is, just gotta build off the previous game.

I like our chances against Buffalo with the extra time off. I expect the offense to be well prepared and more productive than they were the first two games with the extra time for MM will have to work with...... hope we tear apart Pettine's piece of sht D.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt say Smith stayed in the pocket too long. He does what too many rookies do. He waits too long to make plays and gets caught. He had time to throw the ball but missed a few open spots. His field vision isnt bad and will improve IMO. He needs to do more play action. You have to mix up the run and do more quick outs. I have no doubts he can manage a game at this point, I would just love to see 2 min drill that ends well for him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

Good

- OLine in both phases were excellent. Colon, Mangold & Ducasse dominated NE inside.

Bad

- Don't know if NE took away our TE's but we got no production from Winslow & Cumberland

- Gates, enough said

- Too many drops

Observations

- Some think Mornhinweg should have run the ball more. That's fine but he "schemed"
    one possible TD and one definite TD and Smith missed both throws. The first possible
    TD was when he got Powell matched up on Hightower. Powell smoked him down the sideline
    and was wide open, Smith threw it out of bounds. If Smith leads him, Powell has one
    safety to beat for a 70+ yard TD. The second definite TD was on the drive where Gates
    dropped the TD pass. The play before Mornhinweg used motion to get Hill "lost in the
    trash" by the time NE saw him he was all alone in the end zone but Smith left the

- The first time we didn't put Wilson back on the punt return Kotwica/Ryan called for a
    block. And it would've worked but Darrin Walls was pulled down on an obvious hold but
    the refs didn't call it

- We were so close to winning the game at the 2 minute warning its not even funny. NE
    ran a pitch play to Ridley and he bobbled it 3 times before he secured it. When you
    watch the play you'll notice Cromartie just missed tackling him before he secured the

QB

- An uneven performance by Smith. He had some sweet passes to Hill, one that Hill
    caught and fumbled. And the other was a perfect sideline throw dropped right between
    two DB's into Hill's hands. Another excellent throw was to Gates on a seam pattern

- Give him credit for standing tall in the pocket and delivering balls even though a
    hit is coming

- I was surprised at how long he stayed in the pocket which led to the sacks NE got.
    There were plenty of times he could have taken off and picked up nice yardage and
    kept drives alive. I wonder if the short week and lack of practice reps led to his
    indecision
    Great post as always KRL I've been looking out for it since the game ended.

I think our 2012 draft is looking pretty solid right now with Davis and Allen stepping upand showing real promise.DD is showing beastly signs and what seemed like laughable hyperbole on Rex's part when he compared him to Ray Lewis suddenly doesn't seem so ridiculous.I also really like the way Antonio Allen is playing at safety......definitely a find.

I still think we got away from the ground game too early and didn't make enough use of play-action.

it's so refreshing to see us finally operate a competent and effective shortt passing game with screens and dump offs into the flat

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Good

Bad

- Gates, enough said

- Too many drops

Observations

the refs didn't call it

QB

hit is coming

indecision
    Excellent post .... Again ...

There was at least one more play where Smith failed to locate a wide open receiver in the End Zone ... I cant remember clearly, but I think it may have been Hill ... The guy was all alone in the center of the End Zone beneath the goal posts. Maybe when you rewatch you can speak to that.

I don't see much potential in Geno yet ... His release is long, he does not have good pocket presence or a good internal clock ... That is tough on the OL ... Who, I thought, given Smith's inability to make a decisive decision early, played outstanding. His indecisions led to him getting the ball out late and throwing behind the receivers all night long.

I really am getting bored of defending sub par QB play with terms like ... potential, poise and intangibles. I think I'd prefer , tangibles such as production and accuracy.

Were the receivers terrible ? Absolutely .... But don't be fooled ... The QB play was below avg as well.

I'm willing to give smith the entire year to prove me wrong ... i realize he is a rookie ... but he looks like an average to below average starter, or a back up to me.

To his credit that one bomb he threw was one hell of a pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Dunnie; 09-14-2013 at 06:27 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post

There was at least one more play where Smith failed to locate a wide open receiver in the End Zone ... I cant remember clearly, but I think it may have been Hill ... The guy was all alone in the center of the End Zone beneath the goal posts. Maybe when you rewatch you can speak to that.

I don't see much potential in Geno yet ... His release is long, he does not have good pocket presence or a good internal clock ... That is tough on the OL ... Who, I thought, given Smith's inability to make a decisive decision early, played outstanding. His indecisions led to him getting the ball out late and throwing behind the receivers all night long.

I really am getting bored of defending sub par QB play with terms like ... potential, poise and intangibles. I think I'd prefer , tangibles such as production and accuracy.

Were the receivers terrible ? Absolutely .... But don't be fooled ... The QB play was below avg as well.

I'm willing to give smith the entire year to prove me wrong ... i realize he is a rookie ... but he looks like an average to below average starter, or a back up to me.

geno surely wasn't perfect, but if the wrs catch half the balls they dropped and hill doesn't fumble and hand NE their only td, the jets win. if you're holding geno to the standard of aaron rodgers, he stunk. but for a rookie qb making his 2nd start at foxboro at night on national tv, he did enough for the jets to win that game by mid 4th quarter.

hill handed NE a td. gates dropped a td. those 2 plays right there - on good passes - effectively were an 11 point swing. throw in the dropped gates pass that would have gone for around 30+ yards and put the jets at the pats 10, and that's arguably over 14 points the wrs dropped, literally.

it's one thing if geno started throwing picks in the first quarter, and NE had a huge lead. but geno made enough money throws to get the jets a lead. it's unreasonable to expect a rookie qb to continually find the correct read in his 2nd start on the road - against bill bellichick. bottom line, if the qb hits you in the hands in stride, you better catch it and not fumble it, because it should be assumed that geno would eventually make some questionable throws. most rookies do. and because everyone knows this, it's all the more critical to capitalize on the opportunities you get.

i'll reiterate, even through 3 and a half quarters, while geno wasn't perfect, he made enough plays for the jets to have the lead. and if the jets did have the lead in the 4th, we can debate whether they would have run the ball more, or at least changed the plays to make them less risky, which may have eliminated at least one if not more of the picks. i contend that all those drops changed the playcalling and geno's perceived need to take risks and force throws, right or wrong. again, we can debate whether geno throws that ball to holmes that gets picked, if the jets are up 17-13 at that point. the playcalling may well have been to run it and set it up for a fg. who knows.

it's very telling that all of geno's picks happened at the end of the game, when the jets were losing, time was running out and the wrs kept dropping passes. rather this, then have a qb who starts throwing pick 6s in the first quarter, fumbles, puts the team in a bind and then tries to claw his way back when NE is in clear prevent. those circumstances are very different.
    Last edited by augustiniak; 09-14-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post

How about using a term like LACK of EXPERIENCE. The guy never played in a pro set. 2 games into his career in the NFL with a short preseason due to injury, you are ready to harpoon him yet you try to disguise it skillfully. Please present your obvious credentials in personnel matters to WOODY. Lets dump IDZIK and hire you. Geno had us in position to win the game in the last few seconds. It was a short work week; lack of practice and a road game to boot. His receivers harpooned him as much as you are trying to do. Just sayin......... plus it was a monsoon!

Great post KRL...Thank you. Very informative.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 09-14-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Great post as always KRL I've been looking out for it since the game ended.

I think our 2012 draft is looking pretty solid right now with Davis and Allen stepping upand showing real promise.DD is showing beastly signs and what seemed like laughable hyperbole on Rex's part when he compared him to Ray Lewis suddenly doesn't seem so ridiculous.I also really like the way Antonio Allen is playing at safety......definitely a find.

I still think we got away from the ground game too early and didn't make enough use of play-action.

it's so refreshing to see us finally operate a competent and effective shortt passing game with screens and dump offs into the flat
    I think our 2011 draft is also starting to look solid. Wilk is already getting national recognition. Ellis, when healthy, has been impressive and was supposed to open the season as the starter until he got injured. Kerley was our leading receiver last season. Powell also looks like a decent all around rotational back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I think our 2011 draft is also starting to look solid. Wilk is already getting national recognition. Ellis, when healthy, has been impressive and was supposed to open the season as the starter until he got injured. Kerley was our leading receiver last season. Powell also looks like a decent all around rotational back.
    of course the most surprising/encouraging thing is ducasse. not only is he improved, but his physical presense can help recreate the dominant running game, and help out mangold with guys like wilfork.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    of course the most surprising/encouraging thing is ducasse. not only is he improved, but his physical presense can help recreate the dominant running game, and help out mangold with guys like wilfork.
    I loved seeing Vlad manhandle Wilfork easily. That sob knew he played football that night. Vlad was in the fight too at the end of the game. I can not wait to play the NE PANSIES and their cry baby QB again!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I loved seeing Vlad manhandle Wilfork easily. That sob knew he played football that night. Vlad was in the fight too at the end of the game. I can not wait to play the NE PANSIES and their cry baby QB again!
    the quickest way to shed the circus label and make other teams take you seriously is to knock them in the mouth and keep doing it. the jets may finally have the lines do it again, and hopefully wilk comes back soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Additional Geno thoughts:

- Yes its frustrating to be going through the development of a rookie QB again but that's not
    Smith's fault

- You can't dismiss the fact that he had to prepare and play two games in the space of 4 days.
    So much information and little practice time may have played a part in his performance on
    Thursday. From this point forward though we should start to learn what kind of "student"
    Smith is with our schedule returning to normal. You want to see improvement and fewer
    mistakes. I will say this though Mornhinweg must think Smith has the capacity to retain
    his offense just by the amount of passes he's allowed him to throw (73 attempts). Because
    when an OC doesn't trust a QB he'll scale back everything

- The traits Smith has shown so far give me hope:

* Standing in the pocket and delivering the ball downfield while the rush is coming

* Dynamic physical ability (arm strength and speed) to lift a team

* Poise and good body language when things are not going right

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

- Yes its frustrating to be going through the development of a rookie QB again but that's not
    Smith's fault

- You can't dismiss the fact that he had to prepare and play two games in the space of 4 days.
    So much information and little practice time may have played a part in his performance on
    Thursday. From this point forward though we should start to learn what kind of "student"
    Smith is with our schedule returning to normal. You want to see improvement and fewer
    mistakes. I will say this though Mornhinweg must think Smith has the capacity to retain
    his offense just by the amount of passes he's allowed him to throw (73 attempts). Because

* Standing in the pocket and delivering the ball downfield while the rush is coming

he definitely has the confidence to put the ball in tight spaces in key moments. we've seen what happens here when your qb loses confidence in himself.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith's fault

I think the biggest thing with him is the dynamic physical ability - specifically arm strength. We havent had that here since favre and coupled with his ability to make things happen running really will make defenses have to play the whole field

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Good

Bad

- Gates, enough said

- Too many drops

Observations

the refs didn't call it

QB

hit is coming

indecision
    Good read, bottom line, we have a young QB in just his second game, the mistakes Geno made I think are mistakes we should expect a rookie QB to make. These mistakes, and others, will be part of the Jets games now and going forward, hopefully rapidly diminishing as Geno gets more playing time under his belt. What the rest of the team needs to do is capitalize on all opertunities to try to minimize the effect of Geno's mistakes as he learns, the Jets did not do that, they compounded mistakes with more mistakes making it virtually impossible to overcome.

Dropped balls is what I am talking about here, our receivers have to get better, they where the difference in the game i feel and have been for your years.

I manage baseball and I have two hard fast rules, first, slow is accurate therefore fast, slow down, second is, do not compound mistakes with mistakes, you make an error, do not pick up the ball and attemp to make another out unless you are keeping the ball, pick it up and eat it, just end the play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith's fault

Agree on all points. Good stuff.

Only thing I would add would be how Geno handled himself in the post-game presser. He immediately and firmly owned up to his mistakes and made it clear that they were on him. Not only that, but he took the blame for the loss as a whole and didn't put anything on anyone else. He made no excuses and took the bullet for everyone.

I thought he displayed tremendous leadership in that and also showed that he's very critical and honest about himself.

You have to appreciate his maturity and responsibility.

#yoloswag

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Agree on all points. Good stuff.

Only thing I would add would be how Geno handled himself in the post-game presser. He immediately and firmly owned up to his mistakes and made it clear that they were on him. Not only that, but he took the blame for the loss as a whole and didn't put anything on anyone else. He made no excuses and took the bullet for everyone.

I thought he displayed tremendous leadership in that and also showed that he's very critical and honest about himself.

You have to appreciate his maturity and responsibility.

#yoloswag
    Honestly, his throws were bad decisions. All three. He needs to work on his mechanics a little, but he needs to grow up as an NFL QB on the field. 2 years from now, he can be a great player - he has all the tools and the right attitude. I think we'll be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know, I was speaking strictly about off field characteristics.

#yoloswag

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep seeing things like "Genos dynamic running ability". The kid may be fast but he seems to be a pocket passer. There were a few times in the NE game where he could have taken off and ran it but didn't. One time he did and looked really awkward. It just doesn't seem like he has the awareness I would like to see when he does scoot. He just doesn't look comfortable. I worry that one time he is going to get crushed. He's not Kap or RG3.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    I keep seeing things like "Genos dynamic running ability". The kid may be fast but he seems to be a pocket passer. There were a few times in the NE game where he could have taken off and ran it but didn't. One time he did and looked really awkward. It just doesn't seem like he has the awareness I would like to see when he does scoot. He just doesn't look comfortable. I worry that one time he is going to get crushed. He's not Kap or RG3.
    Which one? The one where the DE (iirc) got him from behind and rolled over him?

#yoloswag