Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: For all those wanting to sack Geno

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    The issue is that some of the older fans are so desperate for success that they're ready to cut bait with any player if they aren't canton-bound 2 games into their career.

    #yoloswag
    Listen, I don't take as disrespect because I understand what u r trying to say, but I am one of those older fans. It is not so much the older fans is that it is no vision or lack of seeing the bog picture. Some people just see what they want to see and no more. Some people only use one side of their brain and it clouds their thinking, hay I guess that's what makes the world go round, and war.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Listen, I don't take as disrespect because I understand what u r trying to say, but I am one of those older fans. It is not so much the older fans is that it is no vision or lack of seeing the bog picture. Some people just see what they want to see and no more. Some people only use one side of their brain and it clouds their thinking, hay I guess that's what makes the world go round, and war.
    Reasonable. Just note that I said SOME of the older fans, not all. Ray is an older fan and he seems to be optimistic about Geno. Then again, he's optimistic about the hotdog guy, so whatever.

    Geno hasn't been setting the world on fire, but he's played pretty well.

    #yoloswag

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Agreed and he would open his mouth to say he won the QB competition. What the heck did that add to anything? Its going to create divisions among Jets players and we can not have it.
    Guys, we will agree to disagree, although he is not elite buy any stretch of the imagination, I think a few people will be eating their words. I feel in a good system he is a very serviceable QB. Does Geno have the potential to grow and surpass, I sure hope so because bottom line is Sanchez is not our worry anymore and Geno is our man. I think to even discuss Sanches is slowly becoming a moot point.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,323
    I have no idea how good he can be. I know he looks pretty good right now for a rookie. A little better than Sanchez 4 years in. He may or may not get better. I'd like to give him the season to improve. I just hope Holmes, and Kerley stay healthy, and Hill continues to improve. Then we'll have a good idea of whether or not we have a viable option here going forward. Gates needs to be the 4th, or 5th option for us to have a good gauge of how the offense is doing. I think we'll win a few games if that happens.

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    We won with Geno's legs in game 1 and lost by 3 points against NE in Gillette stadium on a very windy and rainy day. Giants lost first 2 games with Eli Manning.

    It is not time to panic as this is a development year at best.

  6. #26
    I cannot speak for all the senior fans here, but it does seem that the younger crowd has a fantasy football/madden mentality. Everyone expects arcade numbers from all the players on their respective teams.
    Obviously its impossible to predict how any player will turn out after a few games, and in some cases a few years. Geno has his chance now, lets see what he does with it. He does not need hall of fame numbers, just dont turn the ball over. If he continues to turn the ball over game after game, he needs to be replaced. With the rookie cap we no longer have to wait 4-5 years before dumping players.
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Could have fooled me.

    #yoloswag

  7. #27
    Geno played well in his first game but the penalty enabled the Jets to win, not Geno's legs.
    Dont make excuses for him in the NE game, he flat out sucked in crunch time.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    We won with Geno's legs in game 1 and lost by 3 points against NE in Gillette stadium on a very windy and rainy day. Giants lost first 2 games with Eli Manning.

    It is not time to panic as this is a development year at best.

  8. #28
    Agree with the OP. Its time for patience and a lot of support. We (the fans/administration) need to create the environment where Geno can succeed, even if the press is eager to derail.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I cannot speak for all the senior fans here, but it does seem that the younger crowd has a fantasy football/madden mentality. Everyone expects arcade numbers from all the players on their respective teams.
    Obviously its impossible to predict how any player will turn out after a few games, and in some cases a few years. Geno has his chance now, lets see what he does with it. He does not need hall of fame numbers, just dont turn the ball over. If he continues to turn the ball over game after game, he needs to be replaced. With the rookie cap we no longer have to wait 4-5 years before dumping players.

    This seems more true to me. I think most of the older guys seem realistic that Geno was our best option going into this year and will likely be our best option next year. Some fans are trying to push new style guys like Manziel and Boyd because they are exciting to watch. Most older fans can tell you these guys dont work very well in the pros. Geno has some good talent and hasnt looked bad at all so far. Give him the season if he can keep it up give him next year. Yeah his numbers arent great but lets be fair. Throwing 3 picks in the rain is not uncommon. Brady has a 74.1 QBR right now.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Geno played well in his first game but the penalty enabled the Jets to win, not Geno's legs.
    Dont make excuses for him in the NE game, he flat out sucked in crunch time.
    Not true. A great decision to break from the pocket as opposed to force a throw, under rated physical ability to get to the sideline, and the fact that he fooled the corner earlier in the game and milked a few extra yards by not going out of bounds - put us in situation where the defender would make that mistake. A lot of things had to happen for that to work out in our favor and they dont happen for all QBs. He deserves some credit.

    He also moved the ball in crunch time against the Patriots (we were turning the ball over in their territory at least), but he made rookie mistakes on the throws. I think the first two are probably catches in college and he has to learn to placement and develop better timing with his receivers. This will come in time.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I cannot speak for all the senior fans here, but it does seem that the younger crowd has a fantasy football/madden mentality. Everyone expects arcade numbers from all the players on their respective teams.
    Obviously its impossible to predict how any player will turn out after a few games, and in some cases a few years. Geno has his chance now, lets see what he does with it. He does not need hall of fame numbers, just dont turn the ball over. If he continues to turn the ball over game after game, he needs to be replaced. With the rookie cap we no longer have to wait 4-5 years before dumping players.
    I'm a young guy and I've never expected that. It's like with Sanchez. I never cared that he wasn't putting up 4,500+ yards or 35+ TDs. My criticism with him has always been the awful mistakes and decision-making, compounding awful mistakes with even more of the same, and never learning from his failures or progressing.

    I didn't care about him not going All-Madden on the field. All I asked was for competence and he failed.

    Now, this isn't about Sanchez,.but I'm using him as an example of how I think.

    #yoloswag
    Last edited by McGinley; 09-16-2013 at 09:09 AM.

  12. #32
    Am i missing something? Where are the Geno bashing posts?

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Another thing that struck me over the weekend ... a lot of people wanted MM to run the ball lots on Thursday and protect Geno etc. But is that going to be any good in the medium / long term? It's a QB league, running games are becoming more of an afterthought almost. I think MM wants to win games HIS WAY, and he will keep running it that way until the results come. Sure, you could have Geno hand the ball off 40 times. What does he really learn from that?

    For years fans on this board have complained about a lack of an agressive offense / OC ... now that we have one, the calls are for us to be less aggressive. We will only win in this league if we can pass our way to victory, so the more experience we can get our QB in particular in this sort of system, the better. Will it hurt short term? Sure. But limiting the QB exposure got us to where we ended up with Sanchez; I like the current "baptism of fire" approach. Live by the Geno, die by the Geno!

    I'm definitely in the group that wanted MM to run the more more often. It has nothing to do with changing his overall philosophy of being a pass-first, aggressive offense. I enjoyed his approach week 1 a lot. But, the fact is Thurs night's game should have dictated to him to run the ball more often. First, Ivory was running the ball at a great clip. I understand he fumbled, but in that 4th quarter he only got the ball 1 time!! Second, the weather was brutal. The OL was playing well, both Ivory and Powell were running well, why not feed them??? Third, why not just slow the pace down a bit? Have guys like Ivory smack the Pats DL in the mouth a bit, then hit them with some play action.

    For me the playcalling was way to predictable. Pass on 1st down for a short gain or incomplete, run on 2nd down for 4 or 5 setting up 3rd and 5 or 6...then punt.

    I understand the thinking of you win in the league by being aggressive. But, sometimes you need to bite the bullet and change the gameplan. I really think the Jets would have won that ballgame if MM toned down the aggressiveness and fed his RB's the rock!

  14. #34
    How did Geno win the game with his legs ?the guy tampa made a terrible play, without that they lose. Geno throws 3 INTS in the 4 th quarter in New England, he is not the answer. He is nothing more than a stop gap move, typical Jets.

  15. #35
    agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm a young guy and I've never expected that. It's like with Sanchez. I never cared that he wasn't putting up 4,500+ yards or 35+ TDs. My criticism with him has always been the awful mistakes and decision-making, compounding awful mistakes with even more of the same, and never learning from his failures or progressing.

    I didn't care about him not going All-Madden on the field. All I asked was for competence and he failed.

    Now, this isn't about Sanchez,.but I'm using him as an example of how I think.

    #yoloswag

  16. #36
    not sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by
    Bhoys in Green;4989714
    Am i missing something? Where are the Geno bashing posts?

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm patient with him - and despite his turnovers (there are 5 by the way, on pace for 40 this year), we're in each game. Geno's decent in only two games with limited help.

    I hope people give him a chance, and not worry that the Jets aren't winning games by 40 points. Be patient, we're starting with a new rookie QB, not some seasoned veteran.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhoys in Green View Post
    Am i missing something? Where are the Geno bashing posts?



    I would add that almost EVERY JETS fan I know is happy with Geno. because one or three jagoffs post here to remove him is not indicative of the fans. I would say over 90 percent of fans are thrilled with what he has done.

    I am too.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    In my experience on this board its seems us "older" fans have more patience than the younger crowd.
    I agree. I'm a 52 year old 45 year Jets fan and have more patience than most. I didn't even bail on Sanchez until the Titans game last year. Now that's patience!!

  19. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,194
    I supported Sanchez till last season and done with him but I'm annoyed with the whole QB BS during the PS in general.

    If Geno cuts down his INT's to one a game it would make the games watchable. Thing is the Jets played an awful team and a pats team that played like garbage yet their play was nothing to write home about. Who knows how this season progresses...

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  20. #40
    How can you be happy with what Geno has done ? 4 Ints a fumble and 1 TD ? they should be 0 - 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us