Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PREDICT the SCORE: JETS vs buffy jills

Important stats:

The Jets under Rex are 5-1 against a rookie QB, the only loss coming last year to Russell Wilson in Seattle.

The Jets so far this year have shut down the opposition in the running game. tied for 4th in total yards given up and 3rd in yards/attempt given up. Buffalo is 30th in the NFL in yards given up on the ground; only Jacksonville and Washington have given up more. They are also 24th in the NFL in yards/attempt given up with 4.3 y/c

Prediction:

To me the main difference between the Jets and the Bills is C.J. Spiller. Each team has a rookie QB, a solid defense, one main weapon WR (Ours is either Kerley or Holmes, theirs is Johnson) and that's basically it. Each team has lost a close game to the Pats and each team were given a game by an NFC South team
    If C.J. Spiller has a big day on the ground, the Bills will win definitively. If not, then it's going to be another defensive struggle. I think that the Jets defense, in terms of stopping the run have surprised people and I think they will stop Spiller. I think that after hearing the critics this week, Marty will go to a more running oriented attack against a Bills team that hasn't stopped the run this year. Jets are at home and I think they win.

Jets-17
    Bills-10
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 09-19-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Jets 17
    Bills 13

Veteran
    24-17 Jets

bills 23, jets 13

Simms leads jets on game winning drive after Gino throws 4 picks.

Jets 14
    Bills 13

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Sorry BigMoe. Didn't see yours.
    That's ok brother. We got this one ;-)

I've gone high both times and not come close, so time for some reverse jinx, lol.

Jets 10-Bills- 6

Banned
    Jets-24
    Bills-13

The Bills are very susceptible in their defensive backfield to the long ball. They have a bunch of scrubs back there. I can see the Jets coming right out and trying to extend the field in order to open up some running lanes and some passes underneath. I think Newton missed 4 or 5 throws 30+ yards down the field to guys who had a step or two on their man covering them. I can see us hitting a couple of deep throws. I actually think Gates will have a few opportunities down the field to try and make up for last week. We know he can beat man to man coverage deep so he just needs to catch the ball, easier said then done with him I guess. The Bills are having the same trouble with Pettine as their DC as we did. They can't cover TE's. Olsen was open all day last week. A couple of catches he made there weren't guys within 10 yards of him when he made the catch. He was targeted 8 times and had 7 catches 84 yards and a TD. If the Panthers didn't go away from him he probably could have caught 13-15 balls. He was constantly wide open (The Panthers absolutely handed the Bills the win on Sunday). They have very young ILB's and I think we can exploit them in the passing game with Winslow/Cumberland and even our RB's out of the backfield.

I am not impressed with Manuel as much as a lot of the "experts". He doesn't extend the ball down the field at all and when he does he is very inaccurate. I can see the Jets flooding the intermediate middle zone of the field with defenders and dare Manuel to stretch the field. He's not asked to do close to as much on offense as Geno is. Geno has thrown 33% of his passes 15 yards down the field or longer in the air (tops in the league) while Manuel has thrown 17% (about mid pack in the league). This stat suggests that Geno is asked to read more of the field and go through his progressions more often then Manuel is asked to do that. Manuel typically looks at 1 read then checks it down or breaks the pocket and the WR's scramble to get open. That's why flooding the middle of the field with defenders will not only make Manuel use more then one read but it will also allow the defense to be in better position if he does try to run or if he throws to his checkdown. It's going to be important that we make open field tackles on Spiller.

Manuel has only been sacked once this season, but most of that has to do with the fact that he gets the ball out very quick. Like I said earlier, it's 1 read then check down. The weak spot on their offensive line is their LG Colin Brown. I'm hoping the Richardson can exploit that. I don't think the Jets will blitz very much at all. I think they will make Manuel try to beat them while forcing him to use his progressions and I think he will struggle with that. I gave them 13 points b/c I do believe Spiller will make a few big plays to put them in position to score. I also believe that Rex will exploit Manuel's weakness with taking away his first read and making him try to scan the whole field.

I believe that Geno will get better off of the loss in NE. He will run more often this game and extend some drives. One thing that I think people seem to be overlooking is that MM has asked Geno to do as much as the Jets have ever asked Sanchez to do in the 4 years he was a starter. They are not holding anything back with him. I tend to like that idea b/c they want to see what he can and can't handle. I'm not comparing him to Luck but that is exactly the same thing the Colts did with Luck last year. It's a great sign that MM believes that he can handle that much on his shoulders, it's a very optimistic sign to me. I believe that Ivory and Powell will again rush the ball well. I also think that Pettine will be very blitz happy mostly b/c of Rex and he would like to prove that he deserves more credit then he got. I'm sure MM will expect the same thing so I expect a heavy dose of screens on obvious passing downs. Geno will hit on a couple of long throws to put us in position to score points early and hopefully the defense takes it from there.
    Last edited by Choon328; 09-19-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Jets 34
    Bills 7

Jets 20
    Bills 10

Jets 20
    Bills 12

Ivory 75 Rush Yards, 1 TD
    Holmes 6 Rec., 80 Yards, 1 TD
    Barnes 2 Sacks
    Cromartie 1 INT

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    20 10 Jets. EJ learns what it;s like to be harassed all day. 2 sacks from Wilk, one from Cop, and one from Barnes. He'll be lucky if he walks out of the game.
    I'll go with 24-10 but for the same reason. The D either scores 1 TD or positions us inside the 20 going in for one.

Barnes has been a very pleasant surprise through 2 weeks ... Excited to see him & QC on the field together in passing downs!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Simms leads jets on game winning drive after Gino throws 4 picks.

Jets 14
    Bills 13
    Lolol ... 4 picks & Bills only get 13 points ???? Lolol

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote - Choon

I actually think Gates will have a few opportunities down the field to try and make up for last week.

.... Please God no ... I pray to you!!!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote - Choon

I believe that Geno will get better off of the loss in NE. He will run more often this game and extend some drives. One thing that I think people seem to be overlooking is that MM has asked Geno to do as much as the Jets have ever asked Sanchez to do in the 4 years he was a starter. They are not holding anything back with him. I tend to like that idea b/c they want to see what he can and can't handle. I'm not comparing him to Luck but that is exactly the same thing the Colts did with Luck last year. It's a great sign that MM believes that he can handle that much on his shoulders, it's a very optimistic sign to me. I believe that Ivory and Powell will again rush the ball well. I also think that Pettine will be very blitz happy mostly b/c of Rex and he would like to prove that he deserves more credit then he got. I'm sure MM will expect the same thing so I expect a heavy dose of screens on obvious passing downs. Geno will hit on a couple of long throws to put us in position to score points early and hopefully the defense takes it from there.

... Great info here ... Along with the other stats in your post !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Quote - Choon

Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Quote - Choon

Here's another stat for you that I heard on a Buffalo radio station this morning. They said that ESPN has come up with some new sack statistic. Part of the statistic said that if the QB is holding the ball for longer then 3.3 seconds and he gets sacked it's considered a "coverage" sack. On all of Geno's drop backs so far this year his average time for holding the ball is 3.6 seconds. Which is longer then what they consider a coverage sack. So there are 2 things I can gather from this info. The first thing is that our offensive line is protecting him really well, no matter what the sack totals suggest. The second thing is that Geno is obviously holding the ball too long and the Jets coaching staff needs to ingrain in him that once he hit's 3 seconds he needs to get whatever yards he can with his feet if it's available. Even if it's 3 yards and he slides down, it's still a positive play and he can still protect himself from hits. If he continues to stay in the pocket too long he will continue to give up coverage sacks, risk fumbling or a holding call. Increasing the risk of Geno running will make other teams be accountable for him, which means 1 less person in a passing lane. I know that he's not a runner but he does need to take advantage of his God given ability to run. It just adds another dimension to his overall package and will make our offense better. Just my opinion.

All League
    NY JETS 31
    Buffalo Balls 13

GenoJet 3 TDs, 0 Ints
    Ivory 88 yds Rush 1 TD
    Powell 100 yds Rush/Rec.