Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on Geno's throwing mechanics

Interesting article on Geno's throwing mechanics

I didn't see it posted here, so please merge if I missed it:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/n...hanical-flaws/

Kristian Dyer: Geno Smith Mechanical Flaws
    Interesting article about the current status of Geno Smith. Nice to see someone breaking down the flaws in his game currently. Obvious rookie mistakes that will be fixed over time.

Quote:
    The ball may look pretty in mid-air, but Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith’s three interception performance in a 13-10 loss at the Patriots wasn’t just the result of this being his second NFL start. In fact, it had everything to do with his technique.

Smith fell to the second round in the draft based on his rawness and flaws in mechanics.

Former Giants quarterback Scott Brunner, who has mentored the likes of Joe Flacco, sees them popping up in the rookie.

“Geno is a talented young quarterback. He has a tremendous skill set,” Brunner said. “Right now he is going through phases when his physical skill set and his mental skill set are not in sync. As a result his fundamentals regarding his footwork and decision making break down. When that happens, usually in critical situations, he has little chance of success.”

The answer as to why Smith floundered against the Patriots with three very different interceptions is explained in his throwing dynamics. With his technique off, passes from Smith that in college would be receptions are now interceptions due to tighter throwing windows and better athletes.

On the first interception, which came with 11:20 left in the game, Smith rolled out to his left and tried to lob a pass to wide receiver Santonio Holmes. It was a throw into double coverage and tipped and intercepted by Aqib Talib.

“Watch his back leg. His weight actually shifts ever-so-slightly back as he is in the throwing motion. That is the opposite of what one wants,” said Dr. Eric Goff, the chair of the physics department at Lynchburg University, who was asked by Metro to examine how the physics of starting under center affects a quarterback. He is the author of the critically acclaimed book “Gold Medal Physics: The Science of Sports.” “Let linear momentum help by allowing one’s center of mass to move forward with the throw. His feet are too close to together, too. He cannot generate the necessary torque for a powerful throw downfield. His pass is short.”

Brunner, who trains combine athletes at TEST Sports Clubs in Martinsville, N.J., sees similar flaws in Smith’s abilities while moving.

“He needs to become more comfortable with moving his feet while making his reads,” Brunner said. “Most young quarterbacks get into trouble because they make their reads then move their feet. This means they are late. He needs to find ways to save fractions of seconds throughout the process of executing the plays.”

Footwork was again the major issue in the second interception, where Smith badly underthrows wide receiver Clyde Gates in a pass picked off by Alfonzo Dennard.

“Once again, poor technique is keeping Smith from getting the ball farther downfield. He is not moving his upper body forward enough, i.e., he is flat-footed,” Goff said. “Without the help of a rotating core and an upper body moving forward, he simply can’t generate enough torque for the throw he wants. Again, his pass is short.”

The third interception came along the sideline when Smith underthrew a pass intended for Stephen Hill that was taken away easily by Talib.

The mistakes aren’t just mental but at the core of his technique. This is something that happens when a player falls out of his comfort zone on the field and reacts rather than relies on technique.

“His feet are wide, a bit too wide. His front foot is turned too much to the right to allow him to drive forward. The second image shows the problem with the front foot better than the first image. He is not taking advantage of his upper-leg strength and his core strength,” Goff said. “He needs to maintain a slightly more compact stance, and then drive forward while rotating his upper body. That will give him the torque needed to get his arm rotating fast enough to deliver the ball downfield. His third [throw] is woefully short.

All Pro
    Geno has all the tools u want in a QB.. When he figures it out mentally he is gonna be a stud. Unfortunately he is a little behind because of the injury and sharing snaps in competition with Sanchez. If he would of got all the reps from day 1 like every other rookie qb in the past few years i think he would be much better.
    Last edited by Scoop24; 09-18-2013 at 12:50 PM.

and this is why he fell. he's raw, by nfl standards. unfortunately the jets don't have better qb options and hopefully he doesn't become a turnover machine his rookie year so idzik decides to move on next april.

So basically, he sucks too. Was that written by the ESPN medical staff?

Hmmmm;;;maybe he needs to our QB coach?

One of the compliments I heard about Geno was that he is going to be great because he has GREAT FOOTWORK! Chris Carter said he really like Geno because of his athletic ability and footwork. He's always moving his feet.

This is bull****. He had three bad throws. QBs have bad throws every game. Even QB's with perfect mechanics make bad throws.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    This is bull****. He had three bad throws. QBs have bad throws every game. Even QB's with perfect mechanics make bad throws.
    There's always a reason after the fact. Why did Eli Manning have 4 INTs last game.

just the fact that he hung in the pocket and took a huge shot while delivering the ball to santonio has me excited about him. he saw it coming and just hung in there and took it. you can build off of that type of leadership and guts.

What I take from this is that his 3 INT's are all very correctable with coaching and experience. That's a good thing so long as he's a coachable kid.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    There's always a reason after the fact. Why did Eli Manning have 4 INTs last game.
    Apparently, Elli is still raw. He should hit his stride at 40. Bruner is probably right and the same could have been said in Elli's first year when he was terrible and many other rookies outside of the likes of Luck who are once in a lifetime. I rather have a raw QB that needs to tweak his mechanics that a QB with limited skill but good mechanics (Mcelroy). You can always teach/learn mechanics, you can't teach talent.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    It's not really BS. He was off on his throws because of his footwork. He threw a lot of balls off his back foot Thursday. It's actually better than him just being inaccurate like Mark. He wasn't that far off anyway, and a lot of those balls were still catchable, just not optimal. David Lee just happens to be the perfect guy for him. Thank God we got rid of that other guy. This stuff is fixable, and rather quickly can be put into muscle memory through repetition. If he's making the right reads most of the time, and his accuracy is good when he uses proper mechanics he'll still be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    What I take from this is that his 3 INT's are all very correctable with coaching and experience. That's a good thing so long as he's a coachable kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    It's not really BS. He was off on his throws because of his footwork. He threw a lot of balls off his back foot Thursday. It's actually better than him just being inaccurate like Mark. He wasn't that far off anyway, and a lot of those balls were still catchable, just not optimal. David Lee just happens to be the perfect guy for him. Thank God we got rid of that other guy. This stuff is fixable, and rather quickly can be put into muscle memory through repetition. If he's making the right reads most of the time, and his accuracy is good when he uses proper mechanics he'll still be very good.
    +1 (I hope...)

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe. And maybe sh!t happens in NE on a windy rainy day in NE when you're a rookie QB trying to win the game.

Mechanics? I am much more concerned with the fact we are using him in a shot gun way too much. Didnt think he looked bad at all when under C. He needs to do more play action and get Ds thinking. If every time your throwing the ball they know it is a passing play your gonna give up more picks. Draw the S up and then go deep.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Maybe. And maybe sh!t happens in NE on a windy rainy day in NE when you're a rookie QB trying to win the game.
    I agree with both things. His receivers should also help him out, but if he gets his footwork down he'll be leading them instead of them having to reach back for balls. I just noticed that he throws slightly behind guys when he throws off his back foot, and he does that when he's trying to make things happen. Still catchable, but we all want that QB that make his receivers better right? I only noticed two times where he made the wrong read. That was Santonio, and Hill both uncovered that he didn't see. That's not bad for a rook against Bellicheck. He kept a deep safety all night to make sure that Geno would have to make perfect throws on time to beat them, and it just didn't work out. Came very close, and I think he'll get better. He also flooded the intermediate zones with dbs which kept the TEs from being a factor. Didn't blitz at all. At least Geno has the arm strength to turn those picks into virtual early punts instead of the pick 6's that Sanchez throws.

Vince Lombardi once said Joe Willie had "perfect mechanics." I think he, too, threw a few interceptions. So, let's get real....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Mechanics? I am much more concerned with the fact we are using him in a shot gun way too much. Didnt think he looked bad at all when under C. He needs to do more play action and get Ds thinking. If every time your throwing the ball they know it is a passing play your gonna give up more picks. Draw the S up and then go deep.
    Is he in shotgun because that is what he is comfortable with or does Marty love SG?

It's not about the interceptions ... It's about poor mechanics ... Elongated throwing motion etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with both things. His receivers should also help him out, but if he gets his footwork down he'll be leading them instead of them having to reach back for balls. I just noticed that he throws slightly behind guys when he throws off his back foot, and he does that when he's trying to make things happen. Still catchable, but we all want that QB that make his receivers better right? I only noticed two times where he made the wrong read. That was Santonio, and Hill both uncovered that he didn't see. That's not bad for a rook against Bellicheck. He kept a deep safety all night to make sure that Geno would have to make perfect throws on time to beat them, and it just didn't work out. Came very close, and I think he'll get better. He also flooded the intermediate zones with dbs which kept the TEs from being a factor. Didn't blitz at all. At least Geno has the arm strength to turn those picks into virtual early punts instead of the pick 6's that Sanchez throws.
    absolutely correct! Geno will gain his experience and some fans will still be critical because they will miss Sanchez in NY. GO JETS!