Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline and Winning Now

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Deadline and Winning Now

I'm definitely in the SOJF group, but I actually think this team is closer than I thought thru week 2. The D definitely looks like it finally built for the modern game (can actually get pressure rushing 4), Oline might be the best it's been since 2010. QB is still a ?, but he doesn't exactly have much to play with. Not going to go on and on, been rehashed enough here, but we just don't have enough FB players at the skill positions. If we did, we'd be a "comfortable" 2-0. The last 2 weeks would have never come down to the final minutes. If Rex keeps this team at .500 the next couple weeks, and Idzik is serious about being competitive this year, he has to pull the trigger on a playmaker before Oct 29th. I don't like the Buf matchup, but Ten, Pitt and the rematch with NE are winable in my mind. I know everyone is worried about the future, repeating the Tanny mistakes, etc, but I think if you're Idzik you have to do it. You have to win.

I fear if it's not done, we're in for a long run of hell. Another HC, new OC, young QB having to pick up yet another system. I just fear we could be heading into another Coslet, Carroll, Kotite cycle....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the team will improve as the season goes on. Geno will improve because he wants to improve. You can see how he gets pissed and how competitive he is. The D-line is going to "grow up together". We'll be much better by season's end.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think you need that guy on the field who scares people. Someone to take pressure off Geno and those young wideouts. I'd would just get him now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmat321 View Post
    I still think you need that guy on the field who scares people. Someone to take pressure off Geno and those young wideouts. I'd would just get him now.
    As much as I dislike the guy's personality and fairy EZ dance, Victor Cruz would immediately help us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe one player will significantly change the offense right now. Geno playing better is the #1 factor in the Jets' offense playing better - and then adding explosive players will improve it further. I do think he has developed some kind of chemistry with Hill, who's trying to find himself as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsieThrasher View Post
    As much as I dislike the guy's personality and fairy EZ dance, Victor Cruz would immediately help us.
    He signed a 5 year contract with the Giants he's not available??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Highest paid slot receiver in the NFL (is he a true slot guy?).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets D has yet to face a quality offense. I'm not denigrating your defense - they are always good since Rex has been there - but the Pats offense is awful right now without it's top 3 threats and the Bucs aren't an offensive powerhouse.

It will be interesting to see how your D performs when wide open WRs aren't dropping passes or making the wrong cuts like happened against NE. I still think you guys are going to miss Revis more than you expect. Your DL is for real, though. I'm not as sold on Coples becoming a superstar - I think his ceiling is similar to Shaun Ellis' - but the middle of your line is the tits.

Geno's been better than I thought he would be, but that's not an outright compliment. I think a healthy Sanchez wins that game for you guys in NE.

In the end unless Geno Smith becomes a bona fide star I still think you guys would have been better off pulling a 2011 Colts, there's enough young talent on your team to build around and be back in contention in 1-2 seasons of good roster moves. The last thing the Jets need is more 6-8 win seasons.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was available, I must have missed that. The point is that we need to line up a WR (preferably one that can catch and hold onto a football) that defensive coach's have to game plan for.
    Last edited by PatsieThrasher; 09-19-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    He can play anywhere and eat soup at the same time..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can play anywhere and eat soup at the same time..
    Haha. Good one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't consider him a slot guy really. He kind of does it all. Amazing how guys like that fall all the way out of the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    With our Cap situation and paying Mark Sanchez 8.5 million, there is a low probability to get that guy who scares everybody.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I don't consider him a slot guy really. He kind of does it all. Amazing how guys like that fall all the way out of the draft.
    Exactly my point. They billed him as a slot guy. I'd say that was for contract negotiations or what?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Marques Colston from Hofstra came within 3 slots in the 06 draft of being a UDFA. He has 1,000 yds plus every year but 08 when he was hurt..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly my point. They billed him as a slot guy. I'd say that was for contract negotiations or what?
    Undoubtedly. He still got a nice payday but less than he probably should have and would have if he was on the market. I wonder if the Giants will want to keep Cruz, Nicks and Randle or they are more willing to let Nicks walk next year.

Looking ahead at 2014 Free Agent WRs, there are a few good names but most of them won't see daylight.

Nicks, Eric Decker and Emmanuel Sanders are probably the three most interesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Marques Colston from Hofstra came within 3 slots in the 06 draft of being a UDFA. He has 1,000 yds plus every year but 08 when he was hurt..
    He also gets to catch passes from Drew Brees. Not that that's worked out for every WR they've had, but still....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He also gets to catch passes from Drew Brees. Not that that's worked out for every WR they've had, but still....
    And Cruz has Manning that won 1 more bowl then Bree's.. That said I would take 6 ft Bree's over 6'4 Manning any day of the week especially Sunday..(And Monday and Thursday also)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely in the SOJF group, but I actually think this team is closer than I thought thru week 2. The D definitely looks like it finally built for the modern game (can actually get pressure rushing 4), Oline might be the best it's been since 2010. QB is still a ?, but he doesn't exactly have much to play with. Not going to go on and on, been rehashed enough here, but we just don't have enough FB players at the skill positions. If we did, we'd be a "comfortable" 2-0. The last 2 weeks would have never come down to the final minutes. If Rex keeps this team at .500 the next couple weeks, and Idzik is serious about being competitive this year, he has to pull the trigger on a playmaker before Oct 29th. I don't like the Buf matchup, but Ten, Pitt and the rematch with NE are winable in my mind. I know everyone is worried about the future, repeating the Tanny mistakes, etc, but I think if you're Idzik you have to do it. You have to win.

I fear if it's not done, we're in for a long run of hell. Another HC, new OC, young QB having to pick up yet another system. I just fear we could be heading into another Coslet, Carroll, Kotite cycle....
    Rex's seat is not as hot as the media and Rex haters make it out to be. I would consider his seat to be lukewarm with a short leash(meaning that things can escalate rather quickly)He doesn't need to win HFA throughout the playoffs to keep his job. I think as long as the team remains competitive and the young players (mainly the young guys on his Defense) continue to improve he will be back next season. I also don't think he has to win a certain amount of games either(a 7-9 team that was competitive throughout the year is not the same as a 7-9 team that fizzled out in the end and quit on the coach.) Mortgaging the future, albeit a small piece just to win a few extra games doesn't help at IMHO. Just play the season out with what we have, and hold onto all of our draft picks/cap space to build for the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    I think the Jets D has yet to face a quality offense. I'm not denigrating your defense - they are always good since Rex has been there - but the Pats offense is awful right now without it's top 3 threats and the Bucs aren't an offensive powerhouse.

It will be interesting to see how your D performs when wide open WRs aren't dropping passes or making the wrong cuts like happened against NE. I still think you guys are going to miss Revis more than you expect. Your DL is for real, though. I'm not as sold on Coples becoming a superstar - I think his ceiling is similar to Shaun Ellis' - but the middle of your line is the tits.

Geno's been better than I thought he would be, but that's not an outright compliment. I think a healthy Sanchez wins that game for you guys in NE.

In the end unless Geno Smith becomes a bona fide star I still think you guys would have been better off pulling a 2011 Colts, there's enough young talent on your team to build around and be back in contention in 1-2 seasons of good roster moves. The last thing the Jets need is more 6-8 win seasons.
    DISAGREE.

I know Geno threw 3 picks, but he made about 3-4 smart decisions in which Sanchez would have turned the ball over in that particular situation. Sanchez would have had about 2 pick sixes off of screen passes as well.