Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade Deadline and Winning Now

"go get him now", get whom? as Parcells used to say, great players dont grow on trees. You cant just dial one up when needed. The Jets are what they are for this year, get used to it.

If there is a trade that can be made that can not only help us in the short term and in the long term additionally, do it.

Blackmon2435461yytr6.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If there is a trade that can be made that can not only help us in the short term and in the long term additionally, do it.

Practice Squad
    Call me stupid, but I just think there HAS to be someone better than we have at the WR/RB position that can be had for a midround pick before Oct 29th.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    I think the Jets D has yet to face a quality offense. I'm not denigrating your defense - they are always good since Rex has been there - but the Pats offense is awful right now without it's top 3 threats and the Bucs aren't an offensive powerhouse.

It will be interesting to see how your D performs when wide open WRs aren't dropping passes or making the wrong cuts like happened against NE. I still think you guys are going to miss Revis more than you expect. Your DL is for real, though. I'm not as sold on Coples becoming a superstar - I think his ceiling is similar to Shaun Ellis' - but the middle of your line is the tits.

Geno's been better than I thought he would be, but that's not an outright compliment. I think a healthy Sanchez wins that game for you guys in NE.

In the end unless Geno Smith becomes a bona fide star I still think you guys would have been better off pulling a 2011 Colts, there's enough young talent on your team to build around and be back in contention in 1-2 seasons of good roster moves. The last thing the Jets need is more 6-8 win seasons.
    This post is actually spot on IMO. Unfortunately Rex is fighting for his job and so 2-14 is not possible this year. Also, while I expected the DL to be our strongest unit, what I did not expect was the degree to which that seems to have happened very quickly. Obviously they can still take a step backwards but I had no idea the Sheldon Richardson would be this impactful this soon or that Damon ("Snacks") Harrison would emerge as one of a pair of NT beasts in the middle.

With this defense as currently constructed I think we are in every game and I think we manage to win a few of the ugly games like the old Ravens defenses did when Tony Siragusa was anchoring the DL.
    Last edited by EM31; 09-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Michael Crabtree would be a better fit. Then target another problem WR in Kenny Britt. He'll be cheaper.

Veteran
    I do t think Crabtree is as dynamic as Blackmon. I'd give up a 3rd for him.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    I do t think Crabtree is as dynamic as Blackmon. I'd give up a 3rd for him.
    I agree. But Kenny Britt is just as dynamic, if not more, than Blackmon. & is cheaper.

Hill & a 4th for Crabtree maybe?

Veteran
    Crabtree actually makes more then both of them. Britt hasn't been productive in what, 2 years? At 1.2 mill a season, I'll go with the younger Blackmon.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Crabtree actually makes more then both of them. Britt hasn't been productive in what, 2 years? At 1.2 mill a season, I'll go with the younger Blackmon.
    I'll take Blackmon. What do we have to get him though?
    Wouldn't trade a 1st or 2nd.

Isn't Crabtree out for the year or most of the year? And then he's a free agent after next season. That's exactly the situation we were in with Revis, so why go there? If he comes back and performs well, then we have to pay the moon to keep him. If he doesn't heal well, then we have a bad player on our hands. It's a lose-lose situation for us, because he's only a 2014 solution, and he's not that cheap to begin with.

Jacksonville isn't trading Blackmon unless it's a first either. He was actually pretty good last year, when the abysmal Gabbert was out. Once, they get a QB next year, they'll hope to keep Blackmon and the QB together, instead of trading him off trying to find another WR. And it's a risk for us, because of his substance abuse problems. While the Richardson trade holds these same premise (keeping a good offensive player to team with a future QB), these types of deals are extremely rare.

What are more realistic names? Britt for sure is one. He's been hurt enough, that they know how to play without him, and he's pretty much not coming back to the Titans. They have talent in other places like RB, and 2 decent WRs as well, so the hit on their current roster won't be as drastic. The Titans could just want to get something for him before he leaves, but you have to factor in what he could possibly bring in via compensation pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Isn't Crabtree out for the year or most of the year? And then he's a free agent after next season. That's exactly the situation we were in with Revis, so why go there? If he comes back and performs well, then we have to pay the moon to keep him. If he doesn't heal well, then we have a bad player on our hands. It's a lose-lose situation for us, because he's only a 2014 solution, and he's not that cheap to begin with.

Jacksonville isn't trading Blackmon unless it's a first either. He was actually pretty good last year, when the abysmal Gabbert was out. Once, they get a QB next year, they'll hope to keep Blackmon and the QB together, instead of trading him off trying to find another WR. And it's a risk for us, because of his substance abuse problems. While the Richardson trade holds these same premise (keeping a good offensive player to team with a future QB), these types of deals are extremely rare.

What are more realistic names? Britt for sure is one. He's been hurt enough, that they know how to play without him, and he's pretty much not coming back to the Titans. They have talent in other places like RB, and 2 decent WRs as well, so the hit on their current roster won't be as drastic. The Titans could just want to get something for him before he leaves, but you have to factor in what he could possibly bring in via compensation pick.
    Isn't Britt a FA in 2014?
    Why not wait til the season is over, where he probably does a little bit more damage to his stock & sign him then?

I'd offer Mark Sanchez & a 5th, maybe Hill added. But I'd still target Lee or Watkins in round 1 in this case.

Practice Squad
    I read somewhere earlier that there are some rumors about Cleveland looking to ship Gordon? He can definitely stretch the top off defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Isn't Britt a FA in 2014?
    Why not wait til the season is over, where he probably does a little bit more damage to his stock & sign him then?

I'd offer Mark Sanchez & a 5th, maybe Hill added. But I'd still target Lee or Watkins in round 1 in this case.
    Yeah, he's a free agent at the end of the year. I would suggest just holding onto what we have, and sign players next year and keep the picks. But if the pick is low enough (6th or worse) I could see us making a run at him this year, but it's unlikely.

No one will take Sanchez, that contract is an albatross. Anyone who trades for him, might as well just drop him, and renegotiate. Everyone knows Sanchez is done here as well, so no point in trading for him, on top of him being hurt. 5th I see, Hill is way too much of an overpay. I wouldn't add Hill straight up for Britt at all, because we have to develop our WRs as well. By trading Hill for Britt, we're basically just rearranging the chairs on a sinking ship. The only point of trading for Britt is that, so someone like Hill can get more 1 on 1 coverage and not be our primary WR.

To me, we stand pat this year. Take our hoard of picks and see what we can add. If we add Nicks to our WR core, then we have a plethora of choices for offense in the draft. We can double down on QB (unlikely unless Geno falls on his face), double down on WR (possibly, depends where we pick) or go for a TE (most probable of the three). With Holmes gone next year, our WR group should be FA, Hill, Kerley, FA, and Spadola type.

But if we're hellbent on trading, Britt is the most viable option that won't cost an arm or a leg at this point. But that's for a reason, and there is inherent risk with him being back in NJ.

u can't get any player before the trade deadline without giving up value picks and those days are long gone. Our GM will not do that at all. So it won't happen no matter what we think. Frankly we have a great young core on defense its the offense that needs a complete rebuild and not just at the skill positions, QB, but OL we need some help as well. This isn't baseball or even basketball where you can make 1 or 2 moves and it instantly moves you from in the middle of the pack to contender. With the larger rosters and more players you need to make impact .. any 1 guy that can likely make you a contender will not be available.

Lets be honest here and completely honest. Megatron coming here right now wouldn't make us contenders. Would it make us better? Sure .. but not contenders. We're a long ways away from that so what's the point of thinking "win now" with the roster we have now if adding a superstar on offense anywhere outside of QB wouldn't even make us a contender. Would Adrian Peterson make us a contender? Is our offense significantly better than Minny's? I love the Jets seriously ... but we're so far away. I don't think we're THAT far away if Stephen Hill rapidly develops, Kerley can stay healthy and on the field and continue to progress, .... if Hill does on offense what Demario does on defense and he figures things out he can instantly help us progress but he's still so raw. We'll see ... QB is the key and then adding more pieces around whoever that person is.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    He also gets to catch passes from Drew Brees. Not that that's worked out for every WR they've had, but still....
    And yet ,,, some people think our beloved single 1000 yard 'no1' scares people .... You can't make this up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD