Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: A top 3 D = playoffs

  1. #1

    A top 3 D = playoffs

    I looked back over the last 6 years...top 3 teams in D yardage. While some of these teams had great D stats because their offense kept them off the field, the fact is it would be a monumental abberation to have a top 3 D and not at least be 500...more likely tp be 10-6 plus.

    2012 Pitt, Denver, SF 8-8, 13-3, 11-4-1
    2011 Pitt, Houston, Balt 12-4, 10-6, 12-4
    2010 SD, Pitt, NYJ 9-7, 12-4, 11-5
    2009 NYJ, GB, Balt 9-7, 11-5, 9-7
    2008 Pitt, Balt, Phi 12-4, 11-5, 9-6-1
    2007 Pitt, TB, Indy 10-6, 9-7, 13-3

    Sorry SOJF's, just facts.

  2. #2
    One thing one would have to look at is turnovers and basic offensive competence to go along with just a top 3 ranking.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,245
    How did they fair on PF, and then game by game, then division, the by out of division, then by out of conference?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One thing one would have to look at is turnovers and basic offensive competence to go along with just a top 3 ranking.
    My point would be that it is simply hard to find a top 3 defensive team that is not at least competitive. The turnover ratio and offensive stats would have to be epically poor (which would make a top 3 D almost impossible).

  5. #5
    If our O can get it going, we may very well be looking at a wild card.

    #yoloswag

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanri View Post
    My point would be that it is simply hard to find a top 3 defensive team that is not at least competitive. The turnover ratio and offensive stats would have to be epically poor (which would make a top 3 D almost impossible).
    With a top D, you can overcome mistakes on Offense and play more of a field position game. We should be in most games.

  7. #7
    Nice research. I'm not convinced we have a top 3 defense yet but we certainly could. If nothing else it would give the offense and rookie qb time to gel while keeping us in most games.

  8. #8
    Basically all of those teams had good offenses too. Really hope we make the playoffs though. d looks very good

  9. #9
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Nice research. I'm not convinced we have a top 3 defense yet but we certainly could. If nothing else it would give the offense and rookie qb time to gel while keeping us in most games.
    Agree. Game 1, we faced a completely dysfunctional team. Game 2, we faced a team with receivers that dropped balls that would never be dropped by legitimate starters. While I love our front 7, I think the back end of our D still has a lot of huge question marks and all the early buzz about us having a "top defense" is ignoring what we saw with our own eyes in the first couple of games.

  10. #10
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Agree. Game 1, we faced a completely dysfunctional team. Game 2, we faced a team with receivers that dropped balls that would never be dropped by legitimate starters. While I love our front 7, I think the back end of our D still has a lot of huge question marks and all the early buzz about us having a "top defense" is ignoring what we saw with our own eyes in the first couple of games.
    The Patriots have a really tough offensive line and Brady gets the ball out extremely fast. Drops or not it's hard to hold that team down. It's hard this early to say just what the defense is, but I think they're pretty good. Good enough to give this team a chance to win every week. Just depends on how fast the offense can pull it together and start performing at a decent level. The Jets threw away points against the Pats and if they can cut down on those wasted scoring opportunities they'll be just fine.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    The Patriots have a really tough offensive line and Brady gets the ball out extremely fast. Drops or not it's hard to hold that team down. It's hard this early to say just what the defense is, but I think they're pretty good. Good enough to give this team a chance to win every week. Just depends on how fast the offense can pull it together and start performing at a decent level. The Jets threw away points against the Pats and if they can cut down on those wasted scoring opportunities they'll be just fine.
    God, I would love to at least get in the tournament as Parcells use to say.
    When you have a good defense crazy chit can happen.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    God, I would love to at least get in the tournament as Parcells use to say.
    When you have a good defense crazy chit can happen.
    That's when you have 3 phases that can compete and maybe one is one isn't quite up to snuff. A good defense should keep you in games, but, an O and or ST's will have to win them.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    The D, I think, is one of the best in the league. However, if the offense continues to perform the way they did in the first two weeks, the team won't have much of a chance because the D will be left out there too often.

    Without a running game, this team is looking at 5 or 6 wins. It's too much to ask of Geno and I don't think he can carry this offense by himself. If they can get the ball rolling offensively, just enough to keep the D fresh, they could be a playoff team.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanri View Post
    I looked back over the last 6 years...top 3 teams in D yardage. While some of these teams had great D stats because their offense kept them off the field, the fact is it would be a monumental abberation to have a top 3 D and not at least be 500...more likely tp be 10-6 plus.

    2012 Pitt, Denver, SF 8-8, 13-3, 11-4-1
    2011 Pitt, Houston, Balt 12-4, 10-6, 12-4
    2010 SD, Pitt, NYJ 9-7, 12-4, 11-5
    2009 NYJ, GB, Balt 9-7, 11-5, 9-7
    2008 Pitt, Balt, Phi 12-4, 11-5, 9-6-1
    2007 Pitt, TB, Indy 10-6, 9-7, 13-3

    Sorry SOJF's, just facts.
    Make sure joe w Namath doesn't read this. His little SOJF head will explode.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,305
    Good info, thx!

    Curious is that based on points allowed or yards allowed? ... I'd assume the results would be close but would like to know.

    Not being argumentative ... But if you still have the stats handy ... Would love to see a larger sample ... 10-15 year time frame would be really telling

    ... Regardless, appreciate the original post

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That's when you have 3 phases that can compete and maybe one is one isn't quite up to snuff. A good defense should keep you in games, but, an O and or ST's will have to win them.

    Great point, in '09 we had a bunch of fake punts win games for us, without them, we wouldn't have made the playoffs,
    hope we go for it this year, but I dought it will happen with our new ST guy.

  17. #17
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    495
    I honestly think, if given the snaps, Ivory is gonna get it going Sunday and the haters are gonna start backpedaling.

    That, or they'll say Buffalo isn't very good.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanri View Post
    I looked back over the last 6 years...top 3 teams in D yardage. While some of these teams had great D stats because their offense kept them off the field, the fact is it would be a monumental abberation to have a top 3 D and not at least be 500...more likely tp be 10-6 plus.

    2012 Pitt, Denver, SF 8-8, 13-3, 11-4-1
    2011 Pitt, Houston, Balt 12-4, 10-6, 12-4
    2010 SD, Pitt, NYJ 9-7, 12-4, 11-5
    2009 NYJ, GB, Balt 9-7, 11-5, 9-7
    2008 Pitt, Balt, Phi 12-4, 11-5, 9-6-1
    2007 Pitt, TB, Indy 10-6, 9-7, 13-3

    Sorry SOJF's, just facts.
    I like it jetsfanri.

  19. #19
    If we make the playoffs then the media bandwagon will be for Rex for Coach of the Year, right?
    He would have somehow gotten what they claimed was an abysmally poor team to the playoffs. Easy call for them, right? I'm not counting on it...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us