Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty good article on our receiver woes

Pretty good article on our receiver woes

Jets continue dropping the ball at WR

By Brian Costello
    September 18, 2013 | 2:36am

Clyde Gates made his way through the Jets locker room Monday almost as quickly as he runs down the field. He zipped past reporters and said he did not have time to talk. He grabbed his belongings from his locker and exited.
    Surprisingly, he didnít drop anything on the way out.
    With three drops against the Patriots, Gates is the latest Jets wide receiver to become the poster child for this teamís biggest problem. Forget Geno Smith, forget the struggles in the running game or Dee Millinerís mistakes, the No. 1 issue the Jets have is at wide receiver.
    What else is new?
    This is a problem the Jets have had for years. Want to take a guess when the last time a Jets receiver was named All-Pro? Hereís a hint: You were watching VHS tapes and listening to Starship. No Jets receiver since Al Toon in 1986 has earned the honor. Keyshawn Johnson in 1999 is the last one to even make the Pro Bowl.
    The Jets have had some decent receivers in the past decade ó Wayne Chrebet, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, Laveranues Coles and Santonio Holmes all qualify. But they have not had a game-changer, and it is killing them. It hurt Mark Sanchez severely, and it will do the same to Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel or whoever the Jets quarterback of the future is.
    Everyone talks about the NFL now being a passing league, but it helps to have someone on the receiving end. Take a look at Peyton Manning and Tom Brady right now. Both are among the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game. Manning is thriving with Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Wes Welker running routes for him. Brady? Heís throwing sideline tantrums about the way his inexperienced receivers are playing.
    The 2013 Jets have shown more promise in their first two games than anyone not named Rex predicted. Their defense looks like one of the leagueís best, and Smith has shown flashes that he could lead the team.
    But the receivers are dragging the team down. Every one except Jeremy Kerley is playing a slot above where they should be. Holmes at 29 and coming off foot surgery is no longer a No. 1 receiver. Stephen Hill remains raw and should be a No. 3. Gates is a No. 5 at best.
    It would be easy to blast general manager John Idzik and say he should have addressed this issue in the offseason, but there was no easy solution then, and there remains no easy solution now. Idzik inherited a team with salary cap issues and lots of positions that needed help. The Jets could not afford a top receiver in free agency like Mike Wallace (five years, $60 million from the Dolphins) or Greg Jennings (five years, $47.5 million from the Vikings).
    The Jets could have gone the cheaper route and signed Darrius Heyward-Bey (one year, $2.5 million from the Colts) or Donnie Avery (three years, $8.55 million from the Chiefs), but it is questionable just how much that kind of signing would have helped.
    Idzik could not just give up on Hill entering his second season after the Jets used a second-round pick on him in 2012. That left him married to an injured Holmes and a developing Hill.
    The best solution for Idzik came on draft day. The Jets had their fingers crossed that Tavon Austin would fall to them at No. 9, but the Rams snatched him one pick ahead of the Jets. When that happened, the Jets should have traded one of their two first-round picks to move down in the draft and take either DeAndre Hopkins or Cordarrelle Patterson, who both went late in the first round, but finding a trading partner on draft day is not always as simple as picking up the phone.
    Now the Jets are stuck with a half-speed Holmes, a still developing Hill, an ineffective Gates and Kerley, who is the best of the bunch but suffered a concussion in Week 1. It would be hard for Smith, Mark Sanchez or Joe Montana to thrive with this group.
    In 2009, Mike Tannenbaum swung a deal for Edwards after Eric Mangini grew tired of him in Cleveland. Idzik can only hope there is a diva receiver somewhere in the NFL wearing out his welcome who could hit the trade market.
    Otherwise, he better get used to watching games like last Thursday, when his wide receivers did not give the Jets a chance to win.

Milliner started too soon
    Competition has been the catch word of the John Idzik regime with the Jets. But the teamís decision makers look like total hypocrites when it comes to rookie cornerback Dee Milliner.
    Milliner did nothing to earn his starting job other than being drafted No. 9 overall. He spent the entire spring on the sideline, recovering from shoulder surgery, then showed up to training camp a week late after a contract holdout.
    Nevertheless, coach Rex Ryan handed Milliner the starting job, with the general managerís blessing, presumably.
    Now Milliner is struggling, and Ryan benched him against the Patriots. Well, Milliner probably should not be starting in the first place. Ryan said Kyle Wilson had the best offseason of his career and Darrin Walls emerged in the spring as a useful corner. Yet, both were pushed aside when Milliner showed up in Cortland.
    Ryan should have put Milliner at the bottom of the depth chart and let him earn his role. Thatís what competition is about, isnít it?

The Jets Wr article could be one sentence: "Can't catch."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

He's not wrong, but the best thing to do is ride out this year, see who develops, who should go, and sign a veteran and draft a WR high.

We'll have a bunch of money available - I would not be opposed to signing Nicks or Eric Decker if they make it to FA. Our RB spot is pretty much set for the next year or two (with Ivory, Goodson and perhaps Powell) and we aren't spending big bucks on a TE I don't think. WR seems to be the most obvious place to allocate resources. That and an extension for Mo Wilk.

Excellent article. Author made a few quips, but overall an excellent, fair piece.

Chicken and Egg.

Are bad WR made good by having a good QB throwing to them, or is a bad QB made good by having great WR's saving their asses.

Since Toon, we havn't exactly had great QB's. Pennington was at times, and Johnson/Chrebet are known as some of our best WR's, rightfully so.

I'll say this, I don't think ANY WR could be "great" with Mark Sanchez as their QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Nobody needs an article to be written to alert them as to how bad the Jets receivers have been so far this year. Its painfully obvious when watching the team, but it is what it is this year. Remember, big picture, this was year one of a roster rebuild that is going to take a couple of off seasons and drafts to fix. The lack of skill players have held this offense down for years. It has affected Sanchez's performance and will continue to affect Geno's.

Rookie
    Solid assessment of the dismal Jets WR situation, past and present. As stated in the article, our only hope is that a competent veteran WR hits the market. I'd like to see the light bulb finally turn on for Hill (not holding my breath) and Spadola turn into half of Wayne Chrebet...but nothing I have seen on game days this season leads me to believe either will happen for us.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Chicken and Egg.

Are bad WR made good by having a good QB throwing to them, or is a bad QB made good by having great WR's saving their asses.

Since Toon, we havn't exactly had great QB's. Pennington was at times, and Johnson/Chrebet are known as some of our best WR's, rightfully so.

I'll say this, I don't think ANY WR could be "great" with Mark Sanchez as their QB.
    Great QBs can only make up for poor receivers so much, average to below average QBs can not make up for that. I think people over simplify the whole argument that a good QB can make those around them better and you can win with average talent around a good QB.

Chicken and Egg.

well, let's look at the jets/NE game to test this.

the jets wrs basically blew the game. hill handed NE their only td, gates dropped a td that most competent wrs catch and dropped another that would have put the jets at the NE 10. all these plays had the ball in the wrs' hands and directly impacted the scoreboard long before geno threw a pick. we can debate whether one or any of geno's picks are thrown if the jets actually have a lead in the 4th quarter.

meanwhile, brady is having a tantrum b/c his wrs are dropping passes and not where they should be, ostensibly.

so we have a hall of fame qb struggling b/c his wrs suck, and a rookie qb who put the ball where it should be enough times in the first 3 and a half quarters. in both instances the wrs failed. and not coincidentally, the score was a 3 point differential.

my conclusion is, if your skill positions are so bad, it can largely negate the qb's talent and ability to overcome this deficiency.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Chicken and Egg.

I dunno, Larry Fitz has always been considered great and far better than any WR we've ever had, and he's had some shyte QBs to work with. If he was here, I think he'd still be great.

But I don't disagree with your larger point - its hard to strip apart the QB/WR combo. But I think the great ones at either position would still be great no matter where they went, but it certainly is a matter of degree. Would Jerry Rice be known as the best ever if had Vince Ferragamo throwing him the ball instead of two HOFers.

All Pro
    We missed on Stephen Hill and it is really hurting us. He has the size and the speed you want, but he just cant catch the ball.

Next year, Idzik must get us a #1 receiver, #1 rb and #1 tight end. And all 3 need to have speed.

good article but really nothing we didn't already know. We have a ton of picks and money coming off the books next year. It's vital we get one or two WR's and a TE. I'm actually one of the few that think's we'll be ok at RB even if Goodson doesn't coming back just due to the fact that getting a real passing game in here will open up the running game immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We missed on Stephen Hill and it is really hurting us. He has the size and the speed you want, but he just cant catch the ball.

Next year, Idzik must get us a #1 receiver, #1 rb and #1 tight end. And all 3 need to have speed.
    You mean we don't need a corner or dl in the 1st round?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Nobody needs an article to be written to alert them as to how bad the Jets receivers have been so far this year. Its painfully obvious when watching the team, but it is what it is this year. Remember, big picture, this was year one of a roster rebuild that is going to take a couple of off seasons and drafts to fix. The lack of skill players have held this offense down for years. It has affected Sanchez's performance and will continue to affect Geno's.
    It's Sammy Time!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    It's Sammy Time!
    I would love that, really wanted Hopkins last year but the draft didnt fall that way. Hopefully this year we can land Sammy.

Notable WRs who will be FAs next season:

Anquan Boldin
    Victor Cruz
    Jacoby Jones
    Hakeem Nicks
    Jeremy Maclin

Nicks is a little injury prone but I would take any of those guys plus draft a WR, a TE adding that in with Kerley and S. Hill and suddenly our offense doesn't look so bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Notable WRs who will be FAs next season:

Anquan Boldin
    Victor Cruz
    Jacoby Jones
    Hakeem Nicks
    Jeremy Maclin

Nicks is a little injury prone but I would take any of those guys plus draft a WR, a TE adding that in with Kerley and S. Hill and suddenly our offense doesn't look so bad.
    Pretty sure Cruz is not a FA, didnt he sign a long term deal?

Aside from that the only guy I would be interested in on that list is Nicks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    You mean we don't need a corner or dl in the 1st round?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Those days will be over with Rex gone and Darrell Bevell in here. Its going to be offense, offense, offense!

if we hit on a 1st round WR next year, sign a good veteran and also draft a pass catching TE this offense can turn around quickly (this also depends on Geno progressing and being the starter next year too)

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Pretty sure Cruz is not a FA, didnt he sign a long term deal?

Aside from that the only guy I would be interested in on that list is Nicks.

I'd take Maclin in a heartbeat, very underrated WR in Philly with DeSean Jackson there.