Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Rand Paul likens war on drugs to Jim Crow

  1. #1

    Rand Paul likens war on drugs to Jim Crow

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...atino%20Voices

    Rand Paul Decries Mandatory Minimum Sentences, Likens War On Drugs To Jim Crow

    At a packed public hearing of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) compared the war on drugs to the racist policies of the Jim Crow era.

    "If I told you that one out of three African-American males is forbidden by law from voting, you might think I was talking about Jim Crow 50 years ago," Paul said. "Yet today, a third of African-American males are still prevented from voting because of the war on drugs."

    "The majority of illegal drug users and dealers nationwide are white," he said, "but three-fourths of all people in prison for drug offenses are African American or Latino."

    Paul was arguing against mandatory minimum sentencing laws, which require judges and prosecutors to impose severe penalties against those convicted of low-level drug crimes.

    A growing number of conservatives have criticized such laws in recent years. At the hearing, Marc Levin, the policy director of the Right on Crime Initiative at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, a conservative group that advocates for prison reforms, noted that Texas has reduced its prison population and crime rate while expanding its use of recidivism-reducing programs and other alternatives to incarceration.

    Brett Tolman, a former federal prosecutor in Utah, testified that the threat of long mandatory minimum sentences has not led to the identification of high-level leaders of drug organizations by low-level offenders. "Kingpins are smarter than that," he explained. "They insulate themselves so the 'mules' and street-corner dealers either do not know who they are or do not have enough information to lead to their discovery, let alone prosecution."

    Paul and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) are the authors of the Justice Safety Valve Act of 2013, which would allow judges to deliver sentences that deviate from the mandatory minimums in certain cases.

    At the hearing, Paul decried the fact that people convicted of low-level drug felonies are often barred from voting.

    "I know a guy about my age in Kentucky who grew marijuana plants in his apartment closet in college," he said.

    "Thirty years later, he still can't vote, can't own a gun, and when he looks for work, he must check the box, the box that basically says, 'I'm a convicted felon, and I guess I'll always be one.'"
    Ja mon.


    (I know song isn't actually about smoking ganj... but who cares... I dig it...dig?)

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,769
    Rand going for the junkie vote. Next he will "evolve" on gay marriage.

    BTW we have a politics section.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    BTW we have a politics section.
    That place scares me.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,958
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    That place scares me.
    Yes indeed. Be afraid. Be very afraid. It is a Jungle out there and the indigenous life is.... predatory.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    That place scares me.
    Then you probably shouldn't be discussing politics.

    It's a contact sport.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    I don't believe in a lot of Rand Paul's politics but he has a point here. Most of these guys need rehab and not jail. In the case of gang bangers, I say throw away the key.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Most of these guys need rehab and not jail. In the case of gang bangers, I say throw away the key.
    This

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,031

    Rand Paul likens war on drugs to Jim Crow

    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I don't believe in a lot of Rand Paul's politics but he has a point here. Most of these guys need rehab and not jail. In the case of gang bangers, I say throw away the key.
    That will never change.

    The legal drug dealers have a ton of $$$ to spend on lobbying.

    You're just not supposed to do the illegal drugs. You're supposed to "ask your doctor if [insert one of the 1,266,129 'legal' drugs they make] are 'right for you'"....

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    That will never change.

    The legal drug dealers have a ton of $$$ to spend on lobbying.

    You're just not supposed to do the illegal drugs. You're supposed to "ask your doctor if [insert one of the 1,266,129 'legal' drugs they make] are 'right for you'"....
    I think change on drug sentencing is imminent.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Then you probably shouldn't be discussing politics.

    It's a contact sport.
    Meh. See my sig. Have fun chasing each other's tails, chest pounding and convincing each other of nothing.

  11. #11
    The war on drugs is a disaster, billions of bucks and little solved.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The war on drugs is a disaster, billions of bucks and little solved.
    A trillion dollars have been spent. From CNN :In the United States, if illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco, they would yield $46.7 billion in tax revenue. A Cato study says legalizing drugs would save the U.S. about $41 billion a year in enforcing the drug laws.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,523
    It seems more and more likely that weed is going legalized recreationally very soon. We're heading in the right direction on the drug war... for now.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    A trillion dollars have been spent. From CNN :In the United States, if illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco, they would yield $46.7 billion in tax revenue. A Cato study says legalizing drugs would save the U.S. about $41 billion a year in enforcing the drug laws.
    Very true and all of that spent and lost "revenue" is not solving a damn thing.

  15. #15
    "The majority of illegal drug users and dealers nationwide are white," he said, "but three-fourths of all people in prison for drug offenses are African American or Latino."
    This is an interesting statement. I wouldn't mind seeing numbers around the first part to confirm that, but seeing as, what, 70% of the US is white, its probably true and comes down simply to sheer percentages and proportions. But what's the reason for the disproportionate number of AA and Latino drug offenders in prison? I'd hazard its deeper than race, its socio-economic.

    There's a heck of a lot of middle class and higher, white JI members who are in possession of weed right now in their own homes I'd bet, just from comments I've read here

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Very true and all of that spent and lost "revenue" is not solving a damn thing.
    They should legalize the soft drugs like weed and tax it. Junkies need to go to a rehab/work farm clinics and report for drug testing when released.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    A trillion dollars have been spent. From CNN :In the United States, if illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco, they would yield $46.7 billion in tax revenue. A Cato study says legalizing drugs would save the U.S. about $41 billion a year in enforcing the drug laws.
    Massive tax boon combined with lower costs (enforcement), lower costs (prisons) and lower harm (than either alcohol or tobacco) on something thats already (despite efforts to stop it) being used in abundance?

    Where can we sign up?

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Massive tax boon combined with lower costs (enforcement), lower costs (prisons) and lower harm (than either alcohol or tobacco) on something thats already (despite efforts to stop it) being used in abundance?

    Where can we sign up?
    On the dotted line..........................................

  19. #19
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, Michigan
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    That will never change.

    The legal drug dealers have a ton of $$$ to spend on lobbying.

    You're just not supposed to do the illegal drugs. You're supposed to "ask your doctor if [insert one of the 1,266,129 'legal' drugs they make] are 'right for you'"....
    It's funny 'cause my wife was prescribed 800mg tablets of ibuprofen for back pain. My back hurt last night so I went home and took 4, 200 mg. tabs of ibuprofen that I bought OTC. What's the freaking difference?

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    Quote Originally Posted by VonRotten View Post
    It's funny 'cause my wife was prescribed 800mg tablets of ibuprofen for back pain. My back hurt last night so I went home and took 4, 200 mg. tabs of ibuprofen that I bought OTC. What's the freaking difference?
    The main difference is in the dissolution rate of the tablet, and thus the adsorption rate of active ingredient into your body. Which is important to efficacy. Either way though with ibuprofen, you're fine. You're consuming more excipient, but they're mostly inert. Next time, get some weed. And vaporize, don't smoke.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 09-20-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us