Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Geno on first 300 yard game

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to Geno on first 300 yard game

Hopefully first of many. Yeah, the turnovers drive us crazy, but this kid flashes brilliance. He is a considerably better pure passer than Manuel, that was on display all afternoon. Kid throws a beautiful ball and as he learns to read coverages better, he is going to be tough for defenses to stop. Let's all stop with the Simms talk and other craziness. Geno is our guy in 2013 (and hopefully many years beyond).

Fun stat: he's on pace to throw for about 4,300 yards and shatter the rookie passing yardage record. Only 3 games in, but still

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Refs did everything to steal the win but Geno played tough. Horrible intby geno but again we should have won by 14. D is awesome.....snacks and Sheldon are just a gift.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The turnovers are very scary and if they had lost the game it would have completely wiped out an otherwise good performance.

I am not nitpicking here, I understand he is a rookie and he gets leeway based on that. But 7 turnovers in 3 games is not good. In fact, it is worse than Sanchez over the last two seasons if you can believe that.

But otherwise a very good game where he great poise. Did not get down on himself after the turnovers. His accuracy and completion percentage is already a thousand times better than Sanchez. He has also thrown the ball away when he saw bad things about to happen and that is something I do not believe Sanchez did even once over the last two seasons.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was happy to finally see him throw some nice deep balls. (And how nice it is to have Holmes who can actually catch!)

The interceptions on bad reads are going to happen. If he learns and improves, which is what we all hope, he might turn out pretty well.

We won't really know for awhile though...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    People want to say they suck but we have some real weapons that will help. Hill is going to be a 900-1100 yard guy this year and if Holmes stays healthy he could be right up there as well. Add Kerley to that as I have said many times this isnt a bad WR core. If we can find a TE that can take the load I think this can be a pretty good O. I am really hoping Goodson can jump right in and make an impact. Tenn and Pitts are both games I think we can win. Powell is doing a good job filling in but it is obvious we need better. Next year when Geno doesnt have to do so many shotguns I think a lot of the mistakes we are seeing will vanish.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I was happy to finally see him throw some nice deep balls. (And how nice it is to have Holmes who can actually catch!)

The interceptions on bad reads are going to happen. If he learns and improves, which is what we all hope, he might turn out pretty well.

We won't really know for awhile though...
    He's going to throw 20 INTs this season. People need to accept that, we're throwing the ball a lot and he's a rookie. But if he can throw for 4,000 yards and account for 25 TDs, that'll be a lot of promise. Way more than Sanchez showed when he threw for like 2,800 yards and 12 TDs his rookie year

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It only took Sanchez 28 games before he had a 300 yard passing game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    He's going to throw 20 INTs this season. People need to accept that, we're throwing the ball a lot and he's a rookie. But if he can throw for 4,000 yards and account for 25 TDs, that'll be a lot of promise. Way more than Sanchez showed when he threw for like 2,800 yards and 12 TDs his rookie year
    You'll probably see less INTs as the season progresses. He's going to end up throwing it 500+ times, though. They sure aren't holding him back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He deserves a lot of credit passing that milestone in his 3rd pro game, really made some clutch throws.

Our receivers have been sh1t on all offseason, yet he throws 2 of them too 100+ yard games, numbers we could only dream of with Sanchez behind Center.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's making the mistakes you expect a rookie to make. I hope to see less of them as the season goes on but I'm hopeful we have a keeper.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    It only took Sanchez 28 games before he had a 300 yard passing game.
    Really? How many three hundred yard games under Schotty for any QB? Favre didn't do it.

Geno is actually better when he just flings it. I don't like his footwork and hopefully his acuaracy will get better with footwork.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Really? How many three hundred yard games under Schotty for any QB? Favre didn't do it.

Geno is actually better when he just flings it. I don't like his footwork and hopefully his acuaracy will get better with footwork.
    Sanchez had a few good high scoring games. The thing is none of them looked like that. In games where Sanchez threw multiple INTs he pretty much just fell apart. Geno keeps his cool a lot more and isnt afraid to take that risk again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This....and some of us were ready to anoint him the "Sanchize" after his performance his rookie season.....

Geno has the tools...let this play out....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel we shoud lock Geno Smith under a long term contract immediately if not sooner! He is a future star in the NFL. The next Randall Moon or Warren Cunningham!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    immediately if not sooner!
    lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    331 yards on only 16 completions. Its really nice to see them taking shots deep. Last year, the goal of the offense was to get to 3rd and manageable, this year, the goal is to score. Hopefully he can cut down on the mistakes as the season goes on and this team will be really tough to beat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno is the man after 3 NFL games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The turnovers are very scary and if they had lost the game it would have completely wiped out an otherwise good performance.

I am not nitpicking here, I understand he is a rookie and he gets leeway based on that. But 7 turnovers in 3 games is not good. In fact, it is worse than Sanchez over the last two seasons if you can believe that.

But otherwise a very good game where he great poise. Did not get down on himself after the turnovers. His accuracy and completion percentage is already a thousand times better than Sanchez. He has also thrown the ball away when he saw bad things about to happen and that is something I do not believe Sanchez did even once over the last two seasons.
    wow and coming from you!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    I feel we shoud lock Geno Smith under a long term contract immediately if not sooner! He is a future star in the NFL. The next Randall Moon or Warren Cunningham!
    GROW the FK up!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    He deserves a lot of credit passing that milestone in his 3rd pro game, really made some clutch throws.

Our receivers have been sh1t on all offseason, yet he throws 2 of them too 100+ yard games, numbers we could only dream of with Sanchez behind Center.
    I ansolutely agree with you! The kid has great poise and he can surely throw every NFL pass there is. The best is yet to come. His talent is undeniable and the silly comparisons with EJ Manuel were way off the mark!