Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Rex Ryan at it again!

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rex Ryan at it again!

    Perfect example of why I started the thread about losing your faith in him earlier in the week.

    Week 1- Cost us game against TB with clock management. TB takes moronic penalty to cost them the game.
    Week 2- Leaving Clyde Gates in the game, punt returns with Manti Teo's girlfriend.
    Week 3- Cant challenge clear fumble on Manuel because he wasted one on a 3rd and 1 play where it wasnt even close!

    Still making rookie mistakes in his fifth year!

  2. #2
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jetglass

    I think the jets were going to call a time out anyway to discuss what they were going to do on a 4td and 1 down. Might as well throw the challenge flag to see if you can get the first down. If you don't get it, you lose a time out you were going to use anyway with the chance the officials might spot a first down. So it was a good coaching strategy

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Hey Jetglass

    I think the jets were going to call a time out anyway to discuss what they were going to do on a 4td and 1 down. Might as well throw the challenge flag to see if you can get the first down. If you don't get it, you lose a time out you were going to use anyway with the chance the officials might spot a first down. So it was a good coaching strategy
    Bull****. You do not throw a challenge flag unless there is a reasonable chance or certainty that you can win it. You only have 2 challenges, and clearly it killed them because Manuel clearly fumbled. Rex trats challenges like 10 cent whores and it nearly cost us this game (still may). You wanna argue they needed to call a timeout to make the stupid decision to go for it rather than punt and pin a rookie struggling QB deep in his own end of the field then fine, call timeout to make that stupid call. But don't waste challenge flags for no reason. Just stupid. That was the worst 5 minute stretch of coaching I've ever seen. DuhHerm never even did stupid **** like that.
    Last edited by Snell41; 09-22-2013 at 07:29 PM.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Penalties and awful challenges. HC is responsible for those.

    At least he benched Wilson. One of the few areas he has made improvement in.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Perfect example of why I started the thread about losing your faith in him earlier in the week.

    Week 1- Cost us game against TB with clock management. TB takes moronic penalty to cost them the game.
    Week 2- Leaving Clyde Gates in the game, punt returns with Manti Teo's girlfriend.
    Week 3- Cant challenge clear fumble on Manuel because he wasted one on a 3rd and 1 play where it wasnt even close!

    Still making rookie mistakes in his fifth year!
    I agree with the bad challenge.. but I always assumed though it was someone in front office who sees play on instant replay and then relays to coach wether to challenge or not.. That's the way it should be and I know other teams work that way..

  6. #6
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Hey Jetglass

    I think the jets were going to call a time out anyway to discuss what they were going to do on a 4td and 1 down. Might as well throw the challenge flag to see if you can get the first down. If you don't get it, you lose a time out you were going to use anyway with the chance the officials might spot a first down. So it was a good coaching strategy
    I think this is exactly what he was doing, the play clock was winding down so they needed to call a timeout or throw the challenge flag. It just came back to bite him when he lost that 2nd challenge (which I think was a good challenge). This shid happens to coaches all the time, give him a break.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skillosopher View Post
    I think this is exactly what he was doing, the play clock was winding down so they needed to call a timeout or throw the challenge flag. It just came back to bite him when he lost that 2nd challenge (which I think was a good challenge). This shid happens to coaches all the time, give him a break.
    You DO NOT WASTE CHALLENGE FLAGS! You don't throw them just to call time out with an oh by the way attitude. Challenges are invaluable. It nearly cost us this game if not for an amazing play by Holmes.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Perfect example of why I started the thread about losing your faith in him earlier in the week.

    Week 1- Cost us game against TB with clock management. TB takes moronic penalty to cost them the game.
    Week 2- Leaving Clyde Gates in the game, punt returns with Manti Teo's girlfriend.
    Week 3- Cant challenge clear fumble on Manuel because he wasted one on a 3rd and 1 play where it wasnt even close!

    Still making rookie mistakes in his fifth year!
    Today he should have never thrown that second one no doubt, D held to punt. Really poor it was on our 40 and D was playing well.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if evidence is overwhelming, sometimes a challenge is not worth it. Pick your spots wisely.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the exacts stats but I would be willing to bet that spot challenges are the least overturned calls in the game. Yet Rex consistently challenges spots. I can live with the occasional 50/50 sideline catch but the dumb spot challenges when it is impossible to see where the ball is need to stop. Refs aren't going to overturn it when they can't see the ball and do not have a perpendicular shot at the first down mark.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,689
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    Even if evidence is overwhelming, sometimes a challenge is not worth it. Pick your spots wisely.
    Exactly, that sums it up.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Hey Jetglass

    I think the jets were going to call a time out anyway to discuss what they were going to do on a 4td and 1 down. Might as well throw the challenge flag to see if you can get the first down. If you don't get it, you lose a time out you were going to use anyway with the chance the officials might spot a first down. So it was a good coaching strategy
    No offense, but thats just plain idiotic! I dont even think this warrants a reply, but, I will.

    So call a timeout genius! Why just toss a challenge in the garbage?

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Perfect example of why I started the thread about losing your faith in him earlier in the week.

    Week 1- Cost us game against TB with clock management. TB takes moronic penalty to cost them the game.
    Week 2- Leaving Clyde Gates in the game, punt returns with Manti Teo's girlfriend.
    Week 3- Cant challenge clear fumble on Manuel because he wasted one on a 3rd and 1 play where it wasnt even close!

    Still making rookie mistakes in his fifth year!
    Huh. I thought the Jets won that game.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,314
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why must SOJF's continue to whine?

    Without the defense, we don't win this game

    Thanks Rex


    Love winning ugly

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex ryan, terrible head coach, great defensive cordinator

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the one hand, I blame Rex for one of the challenges. You were never going to win the spot challenge, but the other one was a good challenge.

    On the other hand, Rex has built a defense that absolutely destroyed the Buffalo Bills

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then have him be a D coordinator. He's not a good HEAD COACH. ****, how hard is that concept to grasp?

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't cost the Jets the game so move on.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Bull****. You do not throw a challenge flag unless there is a reasonable chance or certainty that you can win it. You only have 2 challenges, and clearly it killed them because Manuel clearly fumbled. Rex trats challenges like 10 cent whores and it nearly cost us this game (still may). You wanna argue they needed to call a timeout to make the stupid decision to go for it rather than punt and pin a rookie struggling QB deep in his own end of the field then fine, call timeout to make that stupid call. But don't waste challenge flags for no reason. Just stupid. That was the worst 5 minute stretch of coaching I've ever seen. DuhHerm never even did stupid **** like that.
    It's not bull****. Not only was Rex going to call a TO, he also wanted a measurement, which the Jets did not get, which is complete bull****, Rex wanted it, but the refs wouldn't give it to him.

    That series was completely botched by the refs.

    The Stevie Johnson play challenge is debatable, to me, his heel was out of bounds, that isn't Rex, Rex is relying on his coaches upstairs to look at that.

  20. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan - winning again!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us