Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith vs. Sanchez - through first 3 games rookie year

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Lol @ Mogglez for not accepting Geno as his personal football savior.
    Just don't want to get attached to another promising kid and have my heart smashed into a million tiny pieces again .

That said, im fully on board the "Geezus Saves" train. Rewatched the Buffalo game last night in it's entirety. I was so wrong in that gameday thread. There are SO many things to be excited about with this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Just don't want to get attached to another promising kid and have my heart smashed into a million tiny pieces again .

That said, im fully on board the "Geezus Saves" train. Rewatched the Buffalo game last night in it's entirety. I was so wrong in that gameday thread. There are SO many things to be excited about with this kid.
    Geknows how you're feeling, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    expanded numbers

captain headband: 49 of 83 (59.04%), 606 yards, 4 TD passes, 2 INT, 5 sacks, 14 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 4 fumbles

geno smith: 55 of 102 (53.9%), 801 yards, 3 TD passes, 6 INT, 9 sacks, 78 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 1 fumble
    It's funny how stats work. When you leave out the fact that Geno has 200 more yards passing it looks like sanchez was better, but perhaps he was "better" because he was only throwing screen passes and 5 yard passes to a TE. Geno is throwing bombs so of course he is more likely to get picked off/throw an incompletion.

Veteran
    A very telling quote from Santonio that nobody has talked about from his post game press conference. He's asked about his feelings on Geno in the 4th quarter of the Bills game and here is his response:

Honestly, we’ll give a lot of credit to Coach Marty [Mornhinweg] for calling the right plays for us and putting us in the right situations. With Geno’s poise, he can be as great as he wants to be. His opportunity is definitely something that we’re going to look forward to for a long time.
    It looks like Holmes has already been sold on Geno.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LAJET View Post
    Smith - 2-1, 3TD, 6INT, 53.9%

Sanchez - 3-0, 4TD, 2INT, 59.4% (fixed)

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty pleased with Gino, and hate that Sanchez regressed, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Let the flame wars begin....

facts are fun considering suckchez had a top 5 supporting cast everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Geknows how you're feeling, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    No. I've said it before here and still thinks it rings true. You could honestly make the argument that if Geno and Mark were in the same draft class, Geno would have been the second QB taken. He was hands down the smarter, more athletic and physically gifted quarterback who also played four full years of college football on a much sh*ttier team than Sanchez's USC. What happened to Mark was he got hit 2011...a lot...and it was also the first time in his football career where he had to deal with adversity and he crumbled. Dude was mentally weak from the start. He always had the best of situations and the Jets could get by with that. Then all of a sudden the Jets decided it was finally time to take the training wheels off and the kid crashed.

For the first time since '08, it looks like the QB is helping his WR's out, not the other way around. Santonio Holmes is coming off one of the most devastating injuries a football player can suffer and posted a career day on Sunday. He's a great WR but there is no shot in hell that same performance happens with Sanchez under center.

I will honestly admit that I don't totally know if at the end of the year Smith will still be "The Guy", but what I do know is that right now there is more hope than ever before that we finally have the quarterback we will build around for the next decade.
    Sanchez was picked at #5 Geno went #36, If the Jets really beleived he was the guy they would have picked him at 12. Counting the Giant preason game, 10 ints, 2 fumbles and 4 TD's not Joe Monatana like. I realize most Jets fans are just tired of Sanchez. I think Mark clearly won the starting job, QB rateing of 90 in the preason, Rex was tring to close the deal by having him lead the game winning drive against the Giants. Would not not be shocked to see him take back over for Geno later in season. Rex is tring to save his job. Lets face it we should be 1 -2 if not for a gift from the Bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    And a bottom five OC , offensive gameplan and QB coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    Really where are the pro bowl WR's, TE's and RB's that he played with ?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Sanchez was picked at #5 Geno went #36, If the Jets really beleived he was the guy they would have picked him at 12. Counting the Giant preason game, 10 ints, 2 fumbles and 4 TD's not Joe Monatana like. I realize most Jets fans are just tired of Sanchez. I think Mark clearly won the starting job, QB rateing of 90 in the preason, Rex was tring to close the deal by having him lead the game winning drive against the Giants. Would not not be shocked to see him take back over for Geno later in season. Rex is tring to save his job. Lets face it we should be 1 -2 if not for a gift from the Bucs.
    The Jets admitted that they thought about taking him at 12, they liked him that much. But unlike internet GMs looking for ways to downgrade players or for whatever reason fits their agenda. Idzik did what a sharp GM should do, he looked at the teams between our 12 and our 2nd and figured it was highly unlikely that anyone would be taking a QB. It was a smart move that netted, in the Jets minds, 3 first round picks.

Montana? Are we talking about the Montana who sat for a year, came in on red zone plays, sitting the rest of the game, learning from the bench?

Telling is when a "fan" says their team should be 1-2 instead of their 2-1. As if the end of the Bucs game didn't happen. Better yet as if you have a fu(king crystal ball and just know that the game would have ended right where it did when Geno ran out of bounds if he wasn't hit late.

I prefer being the optimistic fan instead of some loser attitude SOJF, think that if Gates caught a pass 99% of WRs in the NFL catch, we're 3-0. If he holds on to another on the 10 we may have won easy.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks francessa, but that isn't how drafting works. The Jets liked Geno, but obviously had some concerns, those concerns lead him to fall and didn't justify taking him over Milliner or Richardson. Just like Niners like Kaepernick but didn't REACH for him in the 1st and instead waited until the second. Do you question how much the Niners like Kap now? Do you think they love him any less because he was taken in the second? Would you post on a Niners board that Kap is not their answer at QB simply because the Niners didn't reach to take him in the 1st?

I didn't think it was possible because it was written out so clearly but you somehow completely missed the point of my post. I'll address everything separate for you so its easier.

1. My post stated that if they were in the same draft class Mark would have been selected as the 3rd/4th quarterback behind Geno Smith so you must have completely missed that part considering you went off on a rant about god knows what. Not to mention, the Jets DID almost draft Geno with one of their first rounders, but they weren't completely sold on the class outside of him AND because of the fact that there were fewer teams with desperate QB situations so the chances of one of the guys they wanted falling was pretty likely. They took a HUGE gamble and got their guy. Tannenbaum traded the f'ng farm for Sanchez and look where that got us. This GM seems to actually understand that patience can actually pay off. Drew Brees was a second rounder. Kaepernick? 2nd rounder. Wilson wasn't a first round pick and neither was Andy Dalton. You think that teams like the Jaguars, Vikings and Browns would still pick Gabbert, Ponder and Weeden if given a second shot? Guys who were projected to be second rounders if no teams were dumb enough to reach for them. At least Geno's resume and talent warranted the first round grade by many.

2. Absolutely STUPID to include a Pre-Season game in Geno's numbers. It's friggin Pre-Season for godsakes. You wanna play that game then fine, give me Marks totals with preseason and they'll look 10x worse, as if that's even possible.

3. If Rex Ryan wants to save his job, his best chance is to play a promising Rookie and tell the GM: "If my team looked this impressive with a Rookie QB, Killer Defense, and apparently no offensive talent, imagine what we can accomplish together when the kid grows up and improves and we build a truly lethal offense with new players around him." If he goes BACK to a 5th year vet who singlehandedly put him on the hot-seat after the abortion of a season he had in 2012 then you know what? Rex will completely deserve what will come to him should he do that. Mark Sanchez, barring injury, will never start another game for this team ever again.

4. Getting tired of this bullsh*t "Bucs handed us the game" nonsense. Guess what, if Geno never decides to take off or the QB in the game (I.E. Sanchez, Simms, Quinn) doesn't posses the ability to scramble like that, we don't GET that call. Not to mention some of the runs he made in that games kept important drives alive in the first place.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 09-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Really where are the pro bowl WR's, TE's and RB's that he played with ?
    Braylon was at one point a Pro Bowler. Many felt a change of scenery would help him return to form and it's hard to argue that he didn't after the '10 season.

Leon was a Pro Bowl kick returner who was on his way to being a deadly RB in '09 before he suffered his injury.

Thomas Jones was a Pro Bowler RB in '08 and rushed for 1400+ yds in '09 should've probably gone that year too but his performance was overshadowed by Chris Johnson rushing for 2,000 yards.

His entire offensive line consisted of Pro Bowlers.

He had the #1 defense in the league.

Things change, players got hurt/got old, and contract choices had to be made. Sh*t happens, but a franchise guy should be able to overcome all that. You cant give every guy a massive contract. This isn't friggin baseball.

You are honestly embarrassing yourself. For your own good, please stop posting.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 09-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    It amazes me that people can actually believe stuff like this. Wow dude.

First of all, the Jets from Idzik's own statements seriously considered taking Geno at 13. Once Buffalo took Manuel, with the way the draft was laid out he was going to fall to us at 39 unless someone specifically moved up to get him. Characterizing Geno as a 2nd round talent is complete horse****.

What happened to Sanchez is they took his players away, lousy Offensive cordinator and QB coach, I will take Sanchez over Geno,
    Mark is on the IR for the next 7 weeks so why don't you refrain from posting till then. Then follow him to his next team okay?

Quote Originally Posted by LAJET View Post
    Smith - 2-1, 3TD, 6INT, 53.9%

Sanchez - 3-0, 4TD, 2INT, 59.4% (fixed)

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty pleased with Gino, and hate that Sanchez regressed, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Let the flame wars begin....
    Dude, you're awesome.

Just watching the Genoites' heads explode was worth the time spent in this thread.

(Oh, and I agree -- I allowed myself to buy into the rookie hype four years ago, there's NO WAY I'm doing it again just because "well, he's better than Mark!!") . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    And a bottom five OC , offensive gameplan and QB coach.
    In your mind the OC ruined your love.

Given what Shotty produced with others, I'd say we're blaming the wrong guy. A crippled Chad ran a better O than your boy.

No matter how hard you try and paint a picture of doom and gloom saddling your boy, the reality is that Sanchez walked into the best scenario a young QB could hope for.

A top of the league OL.

The leagues best running game.

The leagues best defense.

You keep spewing the same nonsense. You keep trying to convince us that the Jets ran the game plan they did because is was what they wanted to run, when in fact it was because they had a OL, great RBs and sh1t at QB.

Argue it, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    In your mind the OC ruined your love.

Given what Shotty produced with others, I'd say we're blaming the wrong guy. A crippled Chad ran a better O than your boy.

No matter how hard you try and paint a picture of doom and gloom saddling your boy, the reality is that Sanchez walked into the best scenario a young QB could hope for.

A top of the league OL.

The leagues best running game.

The leagues best defense.

You keep spewing the same nonsense. You keep trying to convince us that the Jets ran the game plan they did because is was what they wanted to run, when in fact it was because they had a OL, great RBs and sh1t at QB.

Argue it, go ahead.
    As do you, you feel there was no onus on the coaching staff or your love the HC who openly stated a multitude of times that we are a ground and pound team and we'll win by defense.

Its amazing how good the offense looks this year, when its not anchored down by a HC/OC combo that has its roots in defensive minded football. For those who think Geno over Sanchez is the main reason your just not seeing the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    As do you, you feel there was no onus on the coaching staff or your love the HC who openly stated a multitude of times that we are a ground and pound team and we'll win by defense.

Its amazing how good the offense looks this year, when its not anchored down by a HC/OC combo that has its roots in defensive minded football. For those who think Geno over Sanchez is the main reason your just not seeing the big picture.
    Um, could you move over, I don't have enough room to wave my Geno pom-poms . . .