Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith vs. Sanchez - through first 3 games rookie year

Jets Insider VIP

Smith vs. Sanchez - through first 3 games rookie year

Smith - 2-1, 3TD, 6INT, 53.9%

Sanchez - 3-0, 4TD, 2INT, 59.4% (fixed)

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty pleased with Gino, and hate that Sanchez regressed, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Let the flame wars begin....
    Last edited by LAJET; 09-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Yea just looking real quick that 88.9% completion percentage is completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LAJET View Post

Sanchez - 3-0, 4TD, 2INT, 88.9%

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty please with Gino, and hate that Sanchez regressed, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Fair point. But I'm pretty sure Sanchez didn't have an 88.9 comp % through first 3 games. I'm guessing that's his QB rating. Geno's is 65.0.

Peyton Manning first 3 starts: 0-3, 2 TDs, 8 INTs, 55.3%

Good stuff.

No doubt about the fact that something happened to Sanchez. Regardless if it was all on him or coaching or whatever that ship has sailed and lets just hope Geno goes up and not down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yup - just fixed. 53.9 vs. 59.4 completion %, QB rating is 88.9 vs. 65.0

http://www.nfl.com/player/marksanche...gs?season=2009

Not listing pass attempts and yardage total? Didn't look good in Sanchez's favor lol..

Way to start off a thread ... with completely inaccurate stats.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Numbers

....and such

Geno actually has 4 TD's (1 rushing). Watch most of the throws from game 2 vs the Pats. Safe conservative throws are basically the entire game plan. Geno is throwing INT's on passes of 15+ yards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VKYZOez1aw

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Another example of why you don't judge based on stats only.

These 2 QBs are running completely different O's. They're not scaling back for Geno like they did for Sanchez.

What is is it, a little over 500 passing yards vs 800+???

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Geno actually has 4 TD's (1 rushing). Watch most of the throws from game 2 vs the Pats. Safe conservative throws are basically the entire game plan. Geno is throwing INT's on passes of 15+ yards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VKYZOez1aw
    The gameplay yesterday had more deep throws than any jets game in the past 3 years.

expanded numbers

captain headband: 49 of 83 (59.04%), 606 yards, 4 TD passes, 2 INT, 5 sacks, 14 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 4 fumbles

geno smith: 55 of 102 (53.9%), 801 yards, 3 TD passes, 6 INT, 9 sacks, 78 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 1 fumble

Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    expanded numbers

captain headband: 49 of 83 (59.04%), 606 yards, 4 TD passes, 2 INT, 5 sacks, 14 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 4 fumbles

geno smith: 55 of 102 (53.9%), 801 yards, 3 TD passes, 6 INT, 9 sacks, 78 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 1 fumble
    And a pick 6 should be a recorded stat.. That's by far biggest mistake for a qb to make..

Quote Originally Posted by LAJET View Post

Sanchez - 3-0, 4TD, 2INT, 88.9%

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty please with Gino, and hate that Sanchez regressed, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

When comparing these two QB's this is where stats go out the window, they are meaningless. The fact that Sanchez, over 4 years and more than 50+ games has the WORST STATS IN NFL HISTORY haha, is another story.

What the Jets have now is a starting QB that is a THREAT FROM ANYWHERE ON THE FIELD, many experts as of today are saying Smith "has a Top 10 Arm", where as Sanchez basically had to "be perfect" to put points on the board due to his inaccuracy and at best average NFL arm.

Smith is on pace to throw for close to 4,300 yards this season compared to Sanchez 2,400 yards in his rookie year (that was sickening just writing that, thats almost 2x better, is that possible??). Now Sanchez apologists will say,"Well that's because Rex wanted "ground and pound" and Shottenheimer is terrible"...well how come the Jet playbook looks wide open for Smith in just his 3rd game? Answer: He has all the tools a Pro QB would wish to have, the other guy doesn't.

Completion % does not mean much when you can hit 3 bombs at different points of a game, little Sanchez could never do that.

And that's another thing, I'm going off-topic, Smith is listed at 6-3, only an inch taller than what they list Sanchez, but he looks much bigger standing in the pocket.

Not one more snap for the "poser" Sanchez as a NY Jet, and probably in the NFL.

Veteran
    Through 1st 3 games:

Sanchez: 606 yds passing
    Smith: 801 yds passing

Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    Through 1st 3 games:

Sanchez: 606 yds passing
    Smith: 801 yds passing
    Sanchez also didn't have to pass in a monsoon in any of his 1st 3 games either.

Sanchez' last 3 starts: 1-2, 1 TD, 5 INTs, 52.7%

See, we can play the numbers game, too.

Here is another cool stat. Sanchez NEVER had a 11 YPA in a regular season game in his career. The highest he had was 9 YPA.

Geno is making throws Sanchez never made.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Here is another cool stat. Sanchez NEVER had a 11 YPA in a regular season game in his career. The highest he had was 9 YPA.

Geno is making throws Sanchez never made.
    Or more importantly COULD MAKE.