Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN: 2013 NFL Power Rankings: Week 4...Jets move up 10 spots!

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    To be the man, you've got to beat the man.

Far too many of my fellow Jet fans spend more time trying to tear down Brady & Belichick over stupid stuff rather than recognizing the Patriot regular season achievements, which only a f'ing idiot can doubt.

Please look at the facts, the regular season record between Dolphins and Pats since the Pats last won a SB (and they had consecutive 14-2 seasons in '03 & '04)

Pats 10-6
    Dolphins 9-7

Pats 12-4
    Dolphins 6-10

Pats 16-0
    Dolphins 1-15

Pats 11-5
    Dolphins 11-5

Pats 10-6
    Dolphins 7-9

Pats 14-2
    Dolphins 7-9

Pats 13-3
    Dolphins 6-10

Pats 12-4
    Dolphins 7-9

So both teams are 3-0 and it's the Dolphins who deserve the respect? Really?

Once teams can beat the Pats on the scoreboard, then we can knock them down a peg or two in meaningless rankings like this. But don't go saying they're lucky or soft or whatever. They win, big time.

Denying this only diminishes our accomplishment once we beat them, like that glorious winter's day a couple of years ago in New England.
    I understand what you're trying to do, and since this is an opinion based poll that goes mostly off of perceived reputation (this is a popularity contest) it means almost as much as if the Pope decided who should be ranked where.

What some posters believe is that Miami has looked more like a a formidable team than the Patriots have this year. What the Pats did the last decade carries over, but is not the absolute of where a team should be ranked. It's like saying "the Dolphins aren't supposed to be good".

Opinions, once again.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I understand what you're trying to do, and since this is an opinion based poll that goes mostly off of perceived reputation (this is a popularity contest) it means almost as much as if the Pope decided who should be ranked where.

What some posters believe is that Miami has looked more like a a formidable team than the Patriots have this year. What the Pats did the last decade carries over, but is not the absolute of where a team should be ranked. It's like saying "the Dolphins aren't supposed to be good".

Opinions, once again.
    Pats produce those wins year in, year out. Until they're losing, or until the Dolphins beast undeniably, there's not much to say in this matter, except - "I think the Dolphins could take out the Pats". Just don't say the Dolphins earn the respect at the expense of the Patriots. No way.

And of course the past decade isn't the absolute of assessing the Pats, but you know what? The Pats are 3-0, not 1-2.

22. New York Jets (2-1, LW: 25)
    I'm not buying them as a contender or anything, but they look like they might have something in rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

Who really cares about ESPN or their stupid Power Rankings? Not me...

Pats produce those wins year in, year out. Until they're losing, or until the Dolphins beast undeniably, there's not much to say in this matter, except - "I think the Dolphins could take out the Pats". Just don't say the Dolphins earn the respect at the expense of the Patriots. No way.

And of course the past decade isn't the absolute of assessing the Pats, but you know what? The Pats are 3-0, not 1-2.
    Don't cry, the Pats will be ok...I thought you were a Jets fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Don't cry, the Pats will be ok...I thought you were a Jets fan?
    I am a Jets fan. Acknowledging that the Pats haven't had a losing season since 2000 doesn't make me less of one.

And pretending they suck when they don't would make me just another moron participating in a JI circle jerk. No thanks.

I am a Jets fan. Acknowledging that the Pats haven't had a losing season since 2000 doesn't make me less of one.

And pretending they suck when they don't would make me just another moron participating in a JI circle jerk. No thanks.
    Nobody's saying they suck, but it doesn't take anyone who hasn't watched the games to see that the Pats are in trouble. Maybe they'll turn to form in a few weeks, but right now it's not the same Pats. Why is it that people want to check the Jets and say that "they haven't beaten anyone yet", however the Pats have beaten the same two teams + the Jets and they're elite? Just watch the games, that's all I'm saying. They're still good, just not All-World like many Pats supporters want us to believe. Miami has impressed more than the Pats, and if we're going down that route - have beaten Atlanta, which is a very good team. No?

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Nobody's saying they suck, but it doesn't take anyone who hasn't watched the games to see that the Pats are in trouble. Maybe they'll turn to form in a few weeks, but right now it's not the same Pats. Why is it that people want to check the Jets and say that "they haven't beaten anyone yet", however the Pats have beaten the same two teams + the Jets and they're elite? Just watch the games, that's all I'm saying. They're still good, just not All-World like many Pats supporters want us to believe. Miami has impressed more than the Pats, and if we're going down that route - have beaten Atlanta, which is a very good team. No?
    We've seen allegedly weak Patriot teams run roughshod over our div several times in recent past. People doubting Falcons, too, pretty much because they're 1-2. My point is simple - Patriots remain the team to beat until they get beat - and hopefully beat down, like the Giants. We don't play the Dolphins until December. History indicates one of us will suck by then.

We've seen allegedly weak Patriot teams run roughshod over our div several times in recent past. People doubting Falcons, too, pretty much because they're 1-2. My point is simple - Patriots remain the team to beat until they get beat - and hopefully beat down, like the Giants. We don't play the Dolphins until December. History indicates one of us will suck by then.
    I tend to maintain hope, more so this year given the problems that the Patriots have. You can believe in history, but history also tells us every empire falls eventually. I'd put more into what I've seen on the field so far, rather than what's happened the last few years. The Pats playing Buffalo, NY Jets (not very good according to most) and Tampa (combined 3-6) isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I agree the fins have played like the more formidable opponent so far in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    These rankings are so full of sh1t and go so far up other teams a$$e$ it is absolutely insane. I am not saying we are not a 19th place team, and I fuking hate to dwell on NE, but letís look at the numbers here while they rank this NE team, this sh1t a$$ NE team 3rd.

Barely beats Buffalo, ranked 23rd,
    Barely beat us, ranked 19th
    Beat Tampa, as they should, Tampa is ranked 31st, but is also 0-3 and NE only scored 23.

Now, Miami beats Cleveland (23rd), Indy (11) & Atlanta (15th) and they are 7th.

Going off of shear math, Miami should be right where they are at +-1 and NE should be between 7-10.

I do not know how people can call themselves analysts, I mean it is beyond me why anyone would even print this, it hold absolutely no credibility.
    Agree with this- we're ranked lowest of all the 2-1 teams, so it shows that ESPN is factoring win-loss record as the main factor for the most part.

Veteran
    To be the man, you've got to beat the man.

Far too many of my fellow Jet fans spend more time trying to tear down Brady & Belichick over stupid stuff rather than recognizing the Patriot regular season achievements, which only a f'ing idiot can doubt.

Please look at the facts, the regular season record between Dolphins and Pats since the Pats last won a SB (and they had consecutive 14-2 seasons in '03 & '04)

Pats 10-6
    Dolphins 9-7

Pats 12-4
    Dolphins 6-10

Pats 16-0
    Dolphins 1-15

Pats 11-5
    Dolphins 11-5

Pats 10-6
    Dolphins 7-9

Pats 14-2
    Dolphins 7-9

Pats 13-3
    Dolphins 6-10

Pats 12-4
    Dolphins 7-9

So both teams are 3-0 and it's the Dolphins who deserve the respect? Really?

Once teams can beat the Pats on the scoreboard, then we can knock them down a peg or two in meaningless rankings like this. But don't go saying they're lucky or soft or whatever. They win, big time.

Denying this only diminishes our accomplishment once we beat them, like that glorious winter's day a couple of years ago in New England.

Listen, I am not saying the team does not deserve a certain amount of respect or I would have put put them about 15th, but come on dud, let's get with the program and call a spade a spade, to use your word, it does not take an "idiot" to see they are in bad shape right now and clearly are not a 3rd place team team in the power rankings.

You just simply can't compare records of past years, it's just dumb, while NE has been reaping the rewards of SB's and div championships the rest of this division has been dealing with QB issues, coach issues, owner issues, you name it, the only stable team in this division has been NE. Every team in this division has been doing nothing but trying to find their way and trying to find a rock they can stand upon and build around, NE has had the rock and has stood upon it for some time just playing keep off.

So it's not about Miami and respect, it is simply about this year and what we have seen and using another team in "our" division that is doing well over a 3 game period, how would you judge them. Now think back over time and re-adjust. Bottom line, less the man love, NE is no way a 3rd place team. Come back to me in two weeks I may be singing a different toon.

Rookie

Keep preaching brother.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This. If we blowout the Titans (a big IF), i could them putting us in the top 10 and becoming the new flavor of the month. That is usually when we start to dissapoint.
    I hope this team has the attitude and that chip on their shoulder through out and buy into the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Listen, I am not saying the team does not deserve a certain amount of respect or I would have put put them about 15th, but come on dud, let's get with the program and call a spade a spade, to use your word, it does not take an "idiot" to see they are in bad shape right now and clearly are not a 3rd place team team in the power rankings.

You just simply can't compare records of past years, it's just dumb, while NE has been reaping the rewards of SB's and div championships the rest of this division has been dealing with QB issues, coach issues, owner issues, you name it, the only stable team in this division has been NE. Every team in this division has been doing nothing but trying to find their way and trying to find a rock they can stand upon and build around, NE has had the rock and has stood upon it for some time just playing keep off.

So it's not about Miami and respect, it is simply about this year and what we have seen and using another team in "our" division that is doing well over a 3 game period, how would you judge them. Now think back over time and re-adjust. Bottom line, less the man love, NE is no way a 3rd place team. Come back to me in two weeks I may be singing a different toon.
    It's dumb to connect 13 straight years of Patriot winning records and this "weak" Patriots squad that's now 4-0? With the same HC & QB the whole time. I got news for you, buddy - it's f'ing moronic NOT to make the connection.

I'm sure they'll put us at 32 now.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    For the record, we could have D'Brickashaw play QB, Kerley play Tackle, and Mangold at WR and we'll still finish the season with a better record than the Giants.

For the record, we could have D'Brickashaw play QB, Kerley play Tackle, and Mangold at WR and we'll still finish the season with a better record than the Giants.
    Mangold at WR just might work. Deceptive speed, man.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Jets are back to being a circus. Especially after yesterday's clown performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free