Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Establishing An Identity

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Establishing An Identity

Based on what I've seen from training camp, pre-season and the first three games there are
    certain elements we can expect to see every game which will define us:

- No one will run the ball against us

- Our DLine can get QB pressure without blitzing

- Our defensive speed has increased

- Our OLine is physical and can protect the QB

- Even though our QB will make mistakes he can positively affect the game with his arm & legs

- We have a professional OC who can scheme players open and is an excellent play caller

- We have an excellent defensive staff and an excellent defensive play caller

These traits are going to keep us in every game and hopefully win us more than what the "experts"
    thought

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    My observations thus far:

#1 - Everybody is still looking past the Jets, most people outside of the fanbase still don't realize the production of this offense and how much better it still has the potential to become - main reason being, as some have already pointed out, MM does not have to scale the playbook down or simplify the offense for Geno and if Geno can eliminate the turnovers, this offense could become the best the Jets have had in recent memory.

#2 - This Jets defense is probably going to be one of the best fielded in the Rex Ryan era, all the ingredients are there and they are gelling and playing with confidence and believe it or not this defense is still being overlooked by most observers outside of the fanbase.

#3 - Rex Ryan and the Jets players have been staying relatively quiet in their press conferences and not drawing any attention to themselves, there is no Bart Scott here calling anybody out or giving other teams bulletin board material. Rex and the Jets are just focusing on football and I believe this approach is the best approach for this team this season.

The Jets historically always play their best football when they are overlooked and/or slighted, if you put all of these things together, this really could be the perfect storm brewing for the Jets to make some noise this season.

Yes it's very early in the season and the schedule is very tough the next several weeks. It's indeed way too early to be predicting a trip to the playoffs, but, I feel the Jets won't be blown out by anybody and will be in every game. If Geno can take care of the football, this team could win alot of games, including some games most people wouldn't give the Jets a chance in.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some really good points here so far. To me:

1. This team is winning, without actually reaching it's true potential. You would think on offense, Geno improves, the OLine gels more, and the WRs get more accustomed to Geno. On defense, more of Coples, and guys like Milliner and Walls making more of an impact. The team is showing characteristics of good teams, that win when they are not at their best. Naturally, the talent on this team should mesh better as the season goes on.

2. Geno Smith is someone that opposing teams are going to have to worry about when they look to play us. I think that's the first time in a long time that we'd have that fear factor. Teams are bound to drop more safeties back, and LBs back, opening up the inside slant lanes, and also running lanes.

3. The defense looks so much faster, makes a very dangerous defense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd just like to add that with Cro's hip on the mend he'll be able to do almost everything we got from Revis in past seasons. That frees up Rex to scheme.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Long story short: The Jets have come out swinging, and the new southpaw hook that people weren't ready for is very powerful.

This is going to be a fun season. Frustrating at times, but lifting at other times.

I'm ready to buckle in, and support the guys. I love the attitude I'm seeing. From the offense, from the defense - FROM REX.

J-E-T-S

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Johnson might have something to say about that first point.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post

1. This team is winning, without actually reaching it's true potential. You would think on offense, Geno improves, the OLine gels more, and the WRs get more accustomed to Geno. On defense, more of Coples, and guys like Milliner and Walls making more of an impact. The team is showing characteristics of good teams, that win when they are not at their best. Naturally, the talent on this team should mesh better as the season goes on.

2. Geno Smith is someone that opposing teams are going to have to worry about when they look to play us. I think that's the first time in a long time that we'd have that fear factor. Teams are bound to drop more safeties back, and LBs back, opening up the inside slant lanes, and also running lanes.

Re the defense being faster, coming into the season, Demario Davis was a big unknown. He got some PT in the past, but we really didn't know how he would respond to being a full time starting ILB. I think he's answered that pretty resoundingly so far. His speed has really made a difference. Factor in the continued upward progression of Mo Wilk (he's becoming a true impact player) and the addition of Shelon Richardson (who is resembling Warren Sapp) and the return of Coples, and its really a completely new defense.

Still some growing pains in the secondary, but hopefully that will continue to improve, and, in all honesty, it hasn't been that terrible. The other team is bound to catch some balls.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post

Good points. Milliner our #9 draft pick missed mini camps etc and seems to be playing better every game. Walls seems to shadow whoever he covers. Cro seems to be Cro of old.

Our QB is improving game by game under MM and Lee.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second a lot of the points made here. So I'll just add some embellishing comments...

A huge positive for this 2013 Jets team was the acquisitions of MM-Lee. An OC that can game plan to the strengths of his players. And do the same when focusing against specific opponents. With a legit QB coach like Lee, you can see the positive development of not just Geno...but with the surprising improvement of Simms too. Jets look to be set at the QB position for the long haul here.

MM and his WCO vs Sparano's ? offense...the difference is worth 2-3 extra wins over last year's six. And we have a skillful live armed QB in Geno. One with the emotional make up and maturity that you look for in a franchise QB. The stage has not been too big for Geno. He's impressively handling the NYJ pressure cooker well.

Holmes is a serious factor again! Maybe he's not 100%...and never will be. But he is still good enough to make some big plays...and work his 4th Q magic. This takes pressure off of Hill...who is showing positive forward development with his own big downfield plays. Add Kerley in the slot...this is not an easy unit to defend anymore. With decent production from TEs Cumberland and Winny Jr...Jets have a balanced passing attack that can move the ball downfield with big chunk strike ability. With an OL that can protect Geno and open up holes for the run. This offense is no longer a continuous 1-2-3 punt mantra anymore. The offense is still evolving. But as Geno and this offense continue to get more practice reps and game action...it can be a very good compliment to a defense that can wreck havoc in this league.

Kudos need to be given to Rex for meshing seven new starters on this defense and having it already ranked #3!

Sheldon Richardson is going to be a Beast. He doesn't act or play like a rookie. His uncanny speed-athleticism is allowing him to make plays all over the field. I believe he leads the team in tackles. Coples played well while shaking off the rust against the Bills. Mo is performing like a perennial Pro Bowler. Yet it is still too early to truly predict who will be the best among this trio. Now that's scary. A discarded nobody like Snacks Harrison...turns out to be a force in run stoppage and penetration along the LOS. A 100% healthy Ellis can be that kind of factor too. Douzable...who is this guy? I just see him around the ball making plays whenever he's in there. Harris looks to be the rejuvinated Hitman again. Davis is playing like he could live up to the glowing praise heaped on him by Rex. Cro was a shutdown CB against the Bills. The talented rookie Milliner had a solid positive game and he will get better with practice and more game experience. The rest are capable too. Our Safety play of Dawan-Allen-Jarret-Etc are holding their own and then some. We don't know yet if this secondary can be as good as last year's. But does it really have too? When your front 7 D is pressuring and sacking the QB at an elite level...it just needs to be a good-solid unit.

Some of the possibilities that can burst this bubble...

Jets are still thin at WR. Injuries will occur. And Gates-Spadola are unknowns as far as their being capable of filling in effectively.

Jets can't afford injuries that keep Cumberland or Winny Jr out of many games. Cause IMO neither are capable of big production. Not likely to get a 7-8 catch game from either of them. But together they can. And this is important to keep the passing game in balance.

In the running game...IMO the whole is greater then the some of its parts. Ivory-Powell-Goodson can be productive collectively. But injuries have always been the reality with Ivory and Goodson. Right now...the Jets have to rely too much on Powell for probably a few more 20+ carry games. And he's really not a bell cow back that can carry that kind of load for an entire season. Hopefully Goodson is ready to contribute some in WK#5. But who knows about Ivory.

When you have a young inexperienced starting QB...you always want to have balance and good production from all facets of your offensive skill positions. WR...TE...RB...are not loaded with solid backups...that you know are capable of playing effectively when injuries force them into action.

Lets hope Willie Colon holds up and gives the Jets a full season. Cause he adds a lot of heart and soul to this unit. He's infectious in bringing some nastiness that rubs off on the others. I mean a laid back dude like Brick getting thrown out of a game...with Colon of course. For me...this is a positive sign...that this unit will not allow opponents to take any abusive liberties on young Geno. Or with any Jets player...cause they're going to answer to Willie for sure. An OL needs to let opponents know that they have that kind of nasty potential. Lets just hope they don't get thrown out of games though.

All in All...I'm really enjoying this season. Enjoying this rebuilding process. I have a real good feeling in my gut...that the 2014-15 seasons are going to be the best to come.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    Chris Johnson might have something to say about that first point.
    If we can bottle up Spiller, Johnson won't be a problem

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope the D can gel a little quicker. We had 2 busted coverages that cost us a TD and 1 (NE) cost us a game. With a struggling O we cant afford to keep doing that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    We will see. Hopefully you're right. It's a bit easier to bottle up the run at home against a rookie qb too. The run d has looked outstanding so far.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjfollower View Post
    We will see. Hopefully you're right. It's a bit easier to bottle up the run at home against a rookie qb too. The run d has looked outstanding so far.
    They bottled up Ridley with Brady at QB.. what's your point?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. Spiller left the game early due to an injury, didn't he? Fred Jackson still had some success against the run D.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Hmm. Spiller left the game early due to an injury, didn't he? Fred Jackson still had some success against the run D.
    Spiller did leave with an injury..... but, part of the injury was how badly he was getting abused by the Jets' defense. Jackson, outside of the 59 yards on the missed tackle, was not even getting 2 yards per carry.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tennessee's OL is much better than Buffalo's. It'll be up to the D-line to hold their gaps and maintain responsibility. Ellis/Harrison need to have good games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Jackson sucked against the run. Aside from that fluke 56 yrd run where we thought he was tackled, he was locked up.
    Johnson isn't the runner he was from 09' either.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Every situation is different. Ridley isn't in the same league as Johnson. I'm not saying Johnson will have success but saying no one will run on us with cj2k coming up this week is pretty aggressive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great matchup for our defense.
    Titans are 6th running the ball & 30th passing the ball.
    What do we already know?
    We can stuff the run + with Greene unavailable CJ gets all of the punishment our D has been handing out.
    Not only are the Jets stuffing the run, they are gang tackling, pile driving & just plain abusing RBs, CJ is not a powerback that fights through tackles & he's the type of wiry built back that body slams will take there toll on. We have to slow him down early & take the fight out of him.
    This will be the best Dline the Titans have faced.
    I'm hoping that Munchack keeps Britt on the bench, Munchack is an old school coach & he benched Britt in last weeks game for the 2nd half & Britt has gone to twitter to biatch.
    Our secondary has to come up big & keep big plays to a minimum.
    Each game they have had a brain fart that left someone completely wide open, Jackson, Dobson, & the Bills TE at the most inopportune time.
    Of course the one obvious thing is Geno needs to protect the ball.
    I think Munchack is going to look at film & go extra protection which will make it much easier on our secondary.
    That means the Titans will try to matriculate the ball down the field 3 yards at a time & bring the game to a crawl, which makes Geno protecting the ball & not throwing picks imperative cause Munchack will do everything to try & minimize hits on his QB.
    We sacked Manuel 8 times, & hit him 16. Look for max protect close to the vest offense from the Titans.
    All we have to do is keep everything in front of us & make sure tackles & they shouldn't be able to score 10 points, so we need 13 minimum.
    Last edited by jetster; 09-26-2013 at 08:18 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ridley was playing injured I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post