Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Josh Freeman benched LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    And it never should have been. It's amazing that the dumbass jets didn't even think about the possibility of an injury. This was all about the coddling of a player.
    They did think about injury, thats why they had a vet like Brunnel as the back up and not some rookie. Regardless of the back up, there wasnt going to be an open competition for the QB job.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    But we will end up with a very high three from the Revis deal, correct? They could wind up picking first or second or thereabouts.
    Yeah, should get the third.

I don't think they can afford to give up on Revis, unless the GM is fired, and the new GM doesn't want to get tied to Revis. To trade a No. 1 pick, and a mid round pick for one year of Revis at high price would be a terrible move for the GM and almost sure fire way to get fired. I think they give him two years atleast. On their cap, I believe Freeman will save them about 10 million from their cap this year, so their cap shouldn't be dire. The team is talented, and their defense is much improved IMO. They really just need a QB, and if they can find someone, they could be a quick turnaround contender. They fall into the same trap that we were in last year, where the QB just dragged the entire team down, but as soon as we got someone better, the team starts to win again. If they get one of Mariotta or Hundley, I think they make a big turnaround. This is ofcourse assuming Glennon isn't the answer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    Yeah, should get the third.

I don't think they can afford to give up on Revis, unless the GM is fired, and the new GM doesn't want to get tied to Revis. To trade a No. 1 pick, and a mid round pick for one year of Revis at high price would be a terrible move for the GM and almost sure fire way to get fired. I think they give him two years atleast. On their cap, I believe Freeman will save them about 10 million from their cap this year, so their cap shouldn't be dire. The team is talented, and their defense is much improved IMO. They really just need a QB, and if they can find someone, they could be a quick turnaround contender. They fall into the same trap that we were in last year, where the QB just dragged the entire team down, but as soon as we got someone better, the team starts to win again. If they get one of Mariotta or Hundley, I think they make a big turnaround. This is ofcourse assuming Glennon isn't the answer.
    Agree that they would look terrible if they cut him after one year after what they gave up for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it never should have been. It's amazing that the dumbass jets didn't even think about the possibility of an injury. This was all about the coddling of a player.
    The Jets botched how to develop a QB, but your original point crediting what the Bucs did in comparison to the Jets doesn't make sense.

The Bucs coddled Freeman and brought in a bigtime receiver for him in Jackson. They drafted Glennon THIS year just as the Jets did with Smith, but the Jets used a higher pick which demonstrated it a priority. Sanchez got benched last year and Freeman this year.

Freeman wasnt in a QB competition with Glennon. The only reason Sanchez wouldve started is by default because Geno wasnt ready.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    why would tampa cut him - b/c they're rebuilding and don't want to pay that price tag? what a waste if they did.
    Feels good to look back on a half year of Tampa mocking the Jets since the trade. I liked it when it went down and speculated Revis would complicate things down there, just didn't realize it would only take a couple of weeks. Blogs killing TB for using Revis in zone coverage - I'm pretty sure we did often enough, too. But all this comes with an 0-3 start. In Giant land all of a sudden Coughlin can't coach.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Freeman wasnt in a QB competition with Glennon. The only reason Sanchez wouldve started is by default because Geno wasnt ready.
    I could be wrong, but I believe Schiano said in the preseason that it was an actual competition between Freeman and Glennon. But very similar to how it played out for us, Glennon didn't separate himself from Freeman enough for him to jump the veteran. I think the exact same scenario that is happening in Tampa would've played out for us if Sanchez isn't hurt. We have some heart breaking losses, team is in disarray, and we make the QB change for a HC fighting for his job. It's eerily similar.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...looks like every message board has those kind of posters.
    I would say it is not impossible. There is rhetoric coming from the Favre camp about how he could still play. Not sure a team would sign him, but I think Favre has the itch again. Marino said if he legs had help up at all he could have played at a very high level until his 50s.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Enjoy the "family atmosphere"
    I am loving this! man, if Revis was just not so damn greedy he would have went down in Jet lore after Broadway Joe but not only was he greedy, he continued to blame the Jet organization for trading him? Tampa is a NO WHERE TEAM! NO WHERE PLACE! now they will be putting in a rookie, they are already 0-3 & haven't even played the teams in their division yet.
    Kind of makes me mad that we could have this awesome defense this year that Revis could have been a part of but he had to be a giant douche.
    O well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Its not out of the question that Tampa could cut Revis after this season and the Jets end up with a 4th round pick.
    Or the cut resign like what happened with Vilma. I actually do not expect to get that pick. Would be surprised if we do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Or the cut resign like what happened with Vilma. I actually do not expect to get that pick. Would be surprised if we do.
    I've said it before. Would you trust Revis's agents not to shop him around the second he was cut even if you had a handshake agreement with him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You think the Jets should have drafted a replacement after the 1st or 2nd AFCCG?

Freeman appears to be a baby that is disliked by his teammates, coaches and missed meatings. There is zero indication that sanchez was anything but a gamer a good teammate. Completely different situations.
    and was never late to practice, never fought with the coaches, never threw anyone under the bus if anything guys threw him under the bus and then he said "fine do what u want" ...

I never liked how the whole situation went down but when guys gave up on Rex essentially they gave up on Mark. You got O linemen and receivers fighting in the huddle and in the locker room ... veterans and superbowl winners. Sanchez couldn't handle those guys and it effected his game. Not sure how many young guys can but that's the difference between born leaders and u know

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I am loving this! man, if Revis was just not so damn greedy he would have went down in Jet lore after Broadway Joe but not only was he greedy, he continued to blame the Jet organization for trading him? Tampa is a NO WHERE TEAM! NO WHERE PLACE! now they will be putting in a rookie, they are already 0-3 & haven't even played the teams in their division yet.
    Kind of makes me mad that we could have this awesome defense this year that Revis could have been a part of but he had to be a giant douche.
    O well.
    in all fairness we made a promise to Revis ... "sign this contract like this and we'll then give you this" ... you can't blame Revis for being an all-world talent & creating a market for himself that doesn't usually exist at his position. Its like that rare case when FG kickers get another team's leading tackler money. Its not the kickers fault he's creating a sense of value for himself. If you want the best shutdown corner in the last decade its going to cost all of that money. Now its up to the team to make that decision whether they want to tie up that money to that individual not the player. Rex was trying to make it make sense by drafting a bunch of pass rushers and hoping they get really good quick. Mo & Coples didn't develop as quick as they expected ... looks like Mo is finally starting to be that guy though he showed signs last year and Coples still is in his development stage. I don't blame Revis for creating that value and wanting what he feels he deserved. If a team was loaded with young pass rushers on defense that had 3 years or so left in a contract and they're a shutdown corner away .. they could easily pay Revis. The problem is every team in a position to sign Revis didn't have the other pieces around and were no where in a position to contend. The market was very small with team's like that but that isn't Revis's fault. A rare talent creates rare situations ..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    and was never late to practice, never fought with the coaches, never threw anyone under the bus if anything guys threw him under the bus and then he said "fine do what u want" ...

I never liked how the whole situation went down but when guys gave up on Rex essentially they gave up on Mark. You got O linemen and receivers fighting in the huddle and in the locker room ... veterans and superbowl winners. Sanchez couldn't handle those guys and it effected his game. Not sure how many young guys can but that's the difference between born leaders and u know
    Agreed, and I am not saying he deserves another chance with the Jets, but after getting to two AFCCG's and being a trooper, I don't see why the Jets would be in a rush to bring in a replacement. I do think they should have drafted someone last year to challenge Mark (and just bring in Teblow). Obviously, we couldn't have landed any of the top QBS and I had no interest in Weeden, but even an Osweiller or Foles could have been added to challenge Mark. Either way, that is why T was fired and deservedly so.
    But for people to lump Sanchez in with the likes of a guy like Freeman is unfair to Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You think the Jets should have drafted a replacement after the 1st or 2nd AFCCG?

Freeman appears to be a baby that is disliked by his teammates, coaches and missed meatings. There is zero indication that sanchez was anything but a gamer a good teammate. Completely different situations.
    And with all that Sanchez had done the Jets did bench him LAST YEAR!!!!

What are folks talking about!!!!!

I don't buy the competition thing fully; for me the question is how can an organization with a QB who is struggling actually reduce the talent and coaching staff around him and expect him to improve!!!

Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 09-25-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post

\

Excellent.. Excellent POST!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could have been us. 0-3 & Rex finally talking about benching Mark for Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see it that way. Freeman always had questions and never really put anything together to make him a rising star. He was constantly rating right around Sanchez.
    He threw for over 4,000 yards with 27 TDs and 17 picks. Id say that lead people to think he had some potential.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I would prefer strip clubs to the bucs facility, too.
    Who wouldn't?! They got some nasty diseases floating around that Bucs facility!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    why would tampa cut him - b/c they're rebuilding and don't want to pay that price tag? what a waste if they did.
    It makes no sense to cut Revis to save a round or whatever in next years draft?

That would mean you recoup a pick but it would also mean you are announcing to the world that you threw away a 1st round pick and got nothing in return. Keep him and in the games he plays at least youre getting something from him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL that is the WHOLE point of my posts in this thread. TB drafted Glennon an actual viable alternative. The Jets went far our of their way to make 100% sure there was no one with a pulse as the back up. Hell, after Sanchez really proved he stunk as much as some of us said he did our GM gave him an extension and promised Tebow the back up job.
    What are you talking about?

The Bucs drafted Freeman the same year that the Jets drafted Sanchez.

Then both teams drafted their replacement QBs in the same draft, this year. How the hell does this translate into TB having a viable alternative and the Jets not having one? If anything the jets took a more viable replacement in Geno.