Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Milliner suffers hamstring injury during practice

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    What about Walls?
    Have been very impressed with him so far ... Def would like to see more of what he can do ... Albeit wanted him in instead of Wilson ... Rather than instead of Milliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    A: I don't know who they should have taken in that spot. Eifert is the only option I could think of,

A TE was the absolute only other option??? So we are set at every position except CB and TE? Didn't need LB or OL or WR or S?

Personally, I wanted either DL, OL or LB with those first 2 picks. Most experts said CB was deep and there wasn't much separation among the top 5 or 6 of them, meaning you possibly could have waited until round 2. Combined with the injury history, I didn't like the Milliner pick at all. Liked the Sheldon pick (although I wanted Star).

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Couldn't disagree with you more ... First couple rounds (especially early 1st) should address premium positions. .... Not OG & not TE

He may struggle this season ... He may bust ... But he may be a successful #2 cb ... And he certainly was the best pick of those 3.
    I would think his injury history is taken into account should have dropped him down from 9; would he have been rated even higher without it? Given what he's showing that seems implausible. And considering it was such a deep CB class they could have afforded to wait. OK maybe not either of those but another 'premium' position.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I love it when everyone comes out of the woodwork with the "i didn't like the pick" whenever a player starts off slowly. Its a lock on this board. If Milliner becomes an all pro, all those clowns will never come on here and say "wow, was i wrong on Milliner" instead they will be buying his jersey and acting like he was their boy from the start.
    Exactly

Injuries happen, it's a hamstring, Jesus, calm the hell down.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    when milliner is in the right spot, it seems like he does a good job. his main issues seem to be mental at this point. I just don't think he understands rex's defense at all yet. and yes, its disappointing that he's always hurt.

btw, if this kid is constantly hurt, doesn't that leave us kinda thin at CB? aaron berry getting hurt preseason is starting to loom large...
    Walls has been the player that replaced a promising looking Berry, Walls has been very impressive.

With Milliner, the Jets are a solid 6 deep at the position, Cro, Milliner, Wilson, Walls, Lankster, and Trufant.

A week without Milliner against a mediocre WR unit against Tenn won't kill us, Lankster will get more time

Practice Squad
    One of the players on my AFL team, Cyril Rioli, had chronic hamstring injuries during the first few years of his career. The Hawks had a bio-mechanist come in to adjust Rioli's running style. He has injured his hamstring once in about 24 months since the adjustments were made. The bio-mechanist asked Rioli to take smaller steps and to run with a slightly more upright style. This might not work so well for Ivory, given (as I understand it), running with a more upright style exposes him to a higher risk of fumbling, but could have some practical effect for Milliner.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226098605609

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Exactly

Injuries happen, it's a hamstring, Jesus, calm the hell down.
    There have been dozens and dozens of great players who never had great careers because of nagging injuries.Freeman Mcneil and Marvin jones are two examples with the jets, probably alot more. Its a legitimate concern, and the people who express it, like me, aren't clowns.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    There have been dozens and dozens of great players who never had great careers because of nagging injuries.Freeman Mcneil and Marvin jones are two examples with the jets, probably alot more. Its a legitimate concern, and the people who express it, like me, aren't clowns.
    The best indicator that a player will be able to stay healthy is if they start out healthy. You don't need to pay for problems, or find them, they find you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    What about Walls?
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Have been very impressed with him so far ... Def would like to see more of what he can do ... Albeit wanted him in instead of Wilson ... Rather than instead of Milliner.
    Walls has been the player that replaced a promising looking Berry, Walls has been very impressive.

With Milliner, the Jets are a solid 6 deep at the position, Cro, Milliner, Wilson, Walls, Lankster, and Trufant.

A week without Milliner against a mediocre WR unit against Tenn won't kill us, Lankster will get more time
    I'm hesitant to extrapolate a good performance from pre-season to the regular season but Walls always seems to be in the right position. I'm not sure I want him starting on the outside this week, but I would like to see the guy get more snaps and, if he continues to impress, work his way into the lineup for a more regular role in the defense. He also has some size, which is nice. The TN WRs, besides Wright, are all over (in some cases well over) 6 ft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Warmack was a possibility but of course there's that adage of not drafting guards in the top ten.
    If there isn't a similar adage about not drafting players with multiple surgeries in the top ten there should be.

Veteran
    I didnt like the pick. The fact that before he played a snap in the NFL, he had 3 major surgeries was a red flag to me. I know we needed a CB, but it just didn't seem like a wise move.

Jets Insider VIP

Milliner was seeing limited time anyway. His injury should not hurt us at all.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I wasn't crazy about the pick when it happened, but they went with the BPA (in their minds) and you cannot argue with that. I am not too worried about the hamstring, however. Often rookies have a tough time getting into NFL shape and he missed much of the offseason with his surgery and the min-holdout. Remember, when Revis held out that year, he had a hammy problem too, and we always trained hard so it doesn't seem unreasonable for Millner to have a hammy problem.

Sometimes a first round pick doesn't pan out, but I think it is way too early to be calling bust. Let's give the kid a season or two until we decide. And, with the rookie wage scale, it isn't like he will break the team either way. I have high hopes for him, however.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I didnt like the pick. The fact that before he played a snap in the NFL, he had 3 major surgeries was a red flag to me. I know we needed a CB, but it just didn't seem like a wise move.
    Look at Adrian Peterson with a major knee surgery, he came back from rehab and almost broke the all time rushing record. Milliner's shoulder is 100% healed; a hamstring strain is usually a week or two and back to playing football.

Remember Revis had a few Hamstrings strains the last few years. It had little effect on his season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Look at Adrian Peterson with a major knee surgery, he came back from rehab and almost broke the all time rushing record. Milliner's shoulder is 100% healed; a hamstring strain is usually a week or two and back to playing football.

Remember Revis had a few Hamstrings strains the last few years. It had little effect on his season.
    I'm not worried about the hamstring so much as his past history with injuries. Some player's are just injury prone (see pennington). I know there isn't any scientific way to back that up, but you can't deny some players get hurt more often than others. I hope that Millner has a long and healthy career. I understand players can come back form surgeries but the fact that he had 3 major surgeries prior to the start of his NFL career is troublesome.

That being said, I think milner has some pretty good physical tools. He was just forced into the fire before he was ready. He makes some really nice plays, but then gets vicitimized for a bunch of plays. He just needs more time in the system.

Jesus christ it's just a hamstring injury...

If he starts to get recurring hamstring injuries THEN you can bring up the possibility of having to deal with this long term. Otherwise he has one of the most common injuries a skill player can get. As long as he takes it slow, he'll be back fine. And that's important towards getting better.

So many people around here want immediate all-pro performances from rookies. Some stupidly think that if they aren't good immediatlely, they aren't going to be good at all.

I remember plenty of people calling Santana Moss a bust, Brick, Demario Davis, and Bryan Thomas busts. They all went on to be good NFL players at the very least.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So what is Ivory's reason? He's been dealing with hammys his entire career so far.
    Every injury is a mini tear and the hammy never heals to where is was pre injury?

That in some it is meaningless in others it can lead more injuries for awhile?

Or its an injury that teams stick on players they want to keep inactive while retaining their rights.

Look at Jose Reyes and all that was done to save him from hammy injuries

But usually their just a common injury that has to be treated with inactivity.

It is the best excuse for fans to kill players that they didn't want or are unsure of. scream, yell call out anyone who drafted or signed someone with a hammy injury or decide that they will always be injured.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-26-2013 at 11:56 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I love it when everyone comes out of the woodwork with the "i didn't like the pick" whenever a player starts off slowly. Its a lock on this board. If Milliner becomes an all pro, all those clowns will never come on here and say "wow, was i wrong on Milliner" instead they will be buying his jersey and acting like he was their boy from the start.
    On the other hand, I think it's legitimate, when your team takes any player at a spot as high as #9, to be concerned and question the pick when there has been a history in college of multiple injuries and injuries continue to plague that player into his early tenure in the NFL.

I realize that he hasn't missed a lot of games, but there may come a time when those injuries start catching up and the body just doesn't rebound and respond. Especially in the NFL where you can't get away with not being at or close to 100%. And CB is arguably one of the most difficult positions to play at a high level when you're not 100%.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I'm not worried about the hamstring so much as his past history with injuries. Some player's are just injury prone (see pennington). I know there isn't any scientific way to back that up, but you can't deny some players get hurt more often than others. I hope that Millner has a long and healthy career. I understand players can come back form surgeries but the fact that he had 3 major surgeries prior to the start of his NFL career is troublesome.

That being said, I think milner has some pretty good physical tools. He was just forced into the fire before he was ready. He makes some really nice plays, but then gets vicitimized for a bunch of plays. He just needs more time in the system.
    And then theres players like Phil Simms who missed more than one season due to injuries in preseason. Fans screamed that he shouldn't have been drafted because he was injury prone.

Then he basically never missed a game and all was forgotten.

Its what fans do.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Every injury is a mini tear and the hammy never heals to where is was pre injury?

That in some it is meaningless in others it can lead more injuries for awhile?

Or its an injury that teams stick on players they want to keep inactive while retaining their rights.

Look at Jose Reyes and all that was done to save him from hammy injuries

But usually their just a common injury that has to be treated with inactivity.

It is the best excuse for fans to kill players that they didn't want or are unsure of. scream, yell call out anyone who drafted or signed someone with a hammy injury or decide that they will always be injured.
    I personally liked the Ivory signing.

But his continual hamstring issues are a problem and make the signing very questionable at this point.