Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Joe Namath played when cornerbacks were allowed to hold and offensive linemen weren't allowed to hold.

And he threw for 4000 yards in a 14 game season

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post

Toughness
    That should be a Poster on someone's wall right now.

Terry Bradshaw - HOF - 212 TD 210 INT
    Y.A. Tittle - HOF - 242 TD 248 INT
    Norm Van Brocklin - HOF - 173 TD 178 INT
    Bob Waterfield - HOF - 97 TD 128 INT
    Dan Fouts - HOF - 254 TD 242 INT
    Kenny Stabler - 4x Pro Bowl, SB XI champion - 194 TD 222 INT

Numbers only tell part of the story. You have to look beyond them, especially when talking about QB's from Namath's era.

Before 1978: Only one 4000 yd season (Joe Namath, 1967).
    After 1978 (when the five yard bump rule was instituted to open up the passing game): 110 4000 yd seasons, including seasons from scrubs like Jay Schroeder, Bill Kenney, Elvis Grbac, and Scott Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats
    Maybe Namath only completed 50% of his passes but they weren't short dinky passes and D-Backs were allowed to hold and basically mug receivers back then. Joe Namath in todays game I have no doubt would be a superstar on Brett Farves level. Namath meant a lot more to the game than just his stats. The guy is a legend!

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    That should be a Poster on someone's wall right now.
    Would Brady get hit like that and make the next play?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I'm sorry... But you bring it out in me. GFY. Namath is possibly the most important NFL player of the last 50 years.
    You can GFY too...I was just asking a question that I feel is justified. Yes Namath was big for the game of football but I feel one game or season doesn't make one a hall of famer. It has to be based on a career and does that player play the game at a high level for most of his career. I'm sorry but I don't see it!

Personally I don't think the guy who set the career record for INTs should be anywhere near the HoF but you know Favre is going to be a first ballot HoF'er so I don't even know who deserves to be in the thing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Personally I don't think the guy who set the career record for INTs should be anywhere near the HoF but you know Favre is going to be a first ballot HoF'er so I don't even know who deserves to be in the thing at this point.
    So Chad Pennington and his 70%+ completion rate and low ints would make it in your HOF? But Favre, Marino, Namath, etc wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    So Chad Pennington and his 70%+ completion rate and low ints would make it in your HOF? But Favre, Marino, Namath, etc wouldn't?
    /thread

Never said that but the one telling stat for Namath is 50 plus INT than TD. Marino and Favre are not even close to that number.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRutha View Post
    Jesse Owens won the gold in the 100m in germany wind-assisted in 10.3s

So he sucks compared to everyone now, right?
    Jessie Owens sneakers were made of lead. They didn't have bondo tracks back then.

In todays era, he runs a 10.0 easy.

Namath? Yes- He was a revolutionary

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Would Brady get hit like that and make the next play?
    F*** NO!!! Not a CHANCE!!

And that punkass doesn't deserve to be in the HOF while we're at it. He's a cheating pvssy.

You can GFY too...I was just asking a question that I feel is justified. Yes Namath was big for the game of football but I feel one game or season doesn't make one a hall of famer. It has to be based on a career and does that player play the game at a high level for most of his career. I'm sorry but I don't see it!
    So says some young kid who never saw him ..... I stand by my post. Namath is the greatest JET of all time and perhaps the greatest Player to the NFL. Go ask your teacher during recess.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Terry Bradshaw - HOF - 212 TD 210 INT
    Y.A. Tittle - HOF - 242 TD 248 INT
    Norm Van Brocklin - HOF - 173 TD 178 INT
    Bob Waterfield - HOF - 97 TD 128 INT
    Dan Fouts - HOF - 254 TD 242 INT
    Kenny Stabler - 4x Pro Bowl, SB XI champion - 194 TD 222 INT

Numbers only tell part of the story. You have to look beyond them, especially when talking about QB's from Namath's era.

Before 1978: Only one 4000 yd season (Joe Namath, 1967).
    After 1978 (when the five yard bump rule was instituted to open up the passing game): 110 4000 yd seasons, including seasons from scrubs like Jay Schroeder, Bill Kenney, Elvis Grbac, and Scott Mitchell.
    You are trying to debate with a child......

All League
    Baseball HOF is about stats. Not so for FB

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Baseball HOF is about stats. Not so for FB
    Not really...phil rizzutto? Bill mazeroski?

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Favre is 10X the QB that soft Brady could ever dream of being. Fake wins do NOTHING. Brady has proven to be nothing but a pvssy.

Absolutely no clue. He transformed and brought the AFC to prominence (go look that up in the encyclopedia _ I mean the Internet). He was a cult of personality. There was nobody bigger than Namath in his day and to pull off one of the greatest upsets (second only to the Miracle On Ice- look that up as well) is icing on the cake. If you can't figure it out afterwards then>>>>>> BUY yourself a clue.
    THEN GFY!

I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats
    Dump! Winner for least informed post of the year. Maybe the most talented QB to ever play. Would Brady or P. Manning be able to take the beating QB's did then after the whistle ended the play. Hell no. They would have been out of the league. Namath did it on one leg!
    Last edited by Greensleeves; 09-26-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Grey Goose vodka is for Si$$ies!!!

Real men drink Ketal One