Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    Never said that but the one telling stat for Namath is 50 plus INT than TD. Marino and Favre are not even close to that number.
    Marino and Farve played in a different era. 20 years was a big diiference in the NFL in general ie., 1969 vs 1989.

BTW After graduating HS, Joe received offer from NY Yankees among other teams. He used to dunk the ball in HS basketball when it wasn't done. The guy was a tremendous athlete. He joined the Jets and starting salary was 400K and he made time magazine front cover as the guy who was going to change the game.

Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    Absolutely no clue. He transformed and brought the AFC to prominence (go look that up in the encyclopedia _ I mean the Internet). He was a cult of personality. There was nobody bigger than Namath in his day and to pull off one of the greatest upsets (second only to the Miracle On Ice- look that up as well) is icing on the cake. If you can't figure it out afterwards then>>>>>> BUY yourself a clue.
    THEN GFY!
    I know that you tool but you basically answered my questions the legend if Joe Namath is what git him in HOF. He loses super bowl 3 then he doesn't even sniff the HOF

I know that you tool but you basically answered my questions the legend if Joe Namath is what git him in HOF. He loses super bowl 3 then he doesn't even sniff the HOF
    If he loses the Super Bowl there's a good chance that would affect him going into the HOF, we all know how media BS works. I agree, but it doesn't change the player he was.

All League
    I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats
    That Super Bowl changed everything for the NFL. Stats don't matter.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Obvious this guy is a Pats troll

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Obvious this guy is a Pats troll

+9999999999. ... Goofy Goose ... Meet ignore list

Rookie
    Don't under-estimate the importance of SBIII, not only did he win it, and in grand fashion with his guarantee, but while the merger talks with NFL and AFL were already underway that win gave the AFL some serious credibility. What made that guarantee so noteworthy is every pundit felt that NFL would clean the floor with the AFL team, and many regarded the NFL championship the true Superbowl, and that the Superbowl was just an after thought. For my money given the stage its the second biggest upset in all of sports (#1 being the 1980 US Olympic hockey teams victory over the Russians). So yeah SBIII is a big part of why he is in the hall of fame, and that's OK.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Football was different back then; there was more running and a lot of toughness. Namath had braces on both knees got shot up with pain killers etc. He was a fantastic athlete in general. His arm was phenomenal and he had a touch kinda like Aaron Rodgers of today. Yes he should be in the HOF.

Go to 1:07 of this clip and watch how quickly the ball leaves his hand...incredible...

Not really...phil rizzutto? Bill mazeroski?
    Baseball is the only sport I can think of where the announcers used to are bigger then most of the stars. When ever I here someone say people just dont like watching baseball anymore I always say it isnt true. There just isnt guys like Phil, Mel Allen, Kalas, Bob Uecker, Harry Carry, Vin Scully, Red Barber, and John Buck. I cant even name the announcers in baseball anymore. Who is the biggest name? Chris Berman? He sucks.

All League
    Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Seriously?

WTF is with some of the posters here?

Keep in mind Namath's stats were in the era of 'anything goes' for CB's and safeties...and 'roughing the passer' was non-existent. F*ck, Davidson broke Namath's jaw and no flag flew.

Namath was an NFL pioneer in an important era...and without a doubt deserves to be in the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Terry Bradshaw - HOF - 212 TD 210 INT
    Y.A. Tittle - HOF - 242 TD 248 INT
    Norm Van Brocklin - HOF - 173 TD 178 INT
    Bob Waterfield - HOF - 97 TD 128 INT
    Dan Fouts - HOF - 254 TD 242 INT
    Kenny Stabler - 4x Pro Bowl, SB XI champion - 194 TD 222 INT

Numbers only tell part of the story. You have to look beyond them, especially when talking about QB's from Namath's era.

Before 1978: Only one 4000 yd season (Joe Namath, 1967).
    After 1978 (when the five yard bump rule was instituted to open up the passing game): 110 4000 yd seasons, including seasons from scrubs like Jay Schroeder, Bill Kenney, Elvis Grbac, and Scott Mitchell.
    Forget it he will never understand. I'm just thankfull as a Jets fan that I was able to see Namath play.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 09-25-2013 at 11:31 PM.

He deserves to be in there on cultural impact alone.

No on talent, yes for what he did to bring legitimacy to the AFC.

All Pro
    DUMP

Jets Insider VIP
    Numbers actually do tell the story about how the game was played differently in Namath's era, with completion percentage being 50% on the norm.

All we have to do is look at the yards per completion average of today's QBs and from Namath's time to see the difference.

Aaron Rodgers is arguably the best deep thrower in the game today, with him leading the NFL in over 20 yd completions. For his career, Rodger's yards per completion is 12.4. Big Ben is slightly better at 12.6. Brady is 11.7, Peyton 11.72, and Brees 11.4. Note how the best QBs today are in the mid 11 to mid 12 range.

In comparison, Namath's yards per completion was 14.66. His contemporaries were about the same. Daryle Lamonica was slightly better at 14.8. Don Meredith was 14.7. Unitas was 14.2. Starr 13.6. Len Dawson 13.4. Staubach 13.4. Of this era, the lowest percentage for the best QB was Fran Tarkenton at 12.7.

Think about that. The lowest deep thrower of the Namath era still had a better percentage than the best deep thrower today. A QB had to have a big arm in that era and so many deep balls lowered completion percentages and increased the rate of INTs along with the different defensive rules.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    So Chad Pennington and his 70%+ completion rate and low ints would make it in your HOF? But Favre, Marino, Namath, etc wouldn't?
    Favre's greatest talent was toughness and longevity. He's the beneficiary of the 'gunslinger' meme being spouted every time he played and his place in the Hall will have as much to do with John Madden creating the legend of Favre and people ignoring Favre's woefully mediocre per-game numbers as anything he did on the field.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Namath was not as good as Pennington or Vinny either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sperm Edwards View Post
    Namath was not as good as Pennington or Vinny either.
    Never saw Namath play because I'm not old enough to be collecting social security but I do think Pennington was incredibly underrated and if he could have stayed uninjured would have played in a Super Bowl for one team or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Numbers actually do tell the story about how the game was played differently in Namath's era, with completion percentage being 50% on the norm.

All we have to do is look at the yards per completion average of today's QBs and from Namath's time to see the difference.

Aaron Rodgers is arguably the best deep thrower in the game today, with him leading the NFL in over 20 yd completions. For his career, Rodger's yards per completion is 12.4. Big Ben is slightly better at 12.6. Brady is 11.7, Peyton 11.72, and Brees 11.4. Note how the best QBs today are in the mid 11 to mid 12 range.

In comparison, Namath's yards per completion was 14.66. His contemporaries were about the same. Daryle Lamonica was slightly better at 14.8. Don Meredith was 14.7. Unitas was 14.2. Starr 13.6. Len Dawson 13.4. Staubach 13.4. Of this era, the lowest percentage for the best QB was Fran Tarkenton at 12.7.

Think about that. The lowest deep thrower of the Namath era still had a better percentage than the best deep thrower today. A QB had to have a big arm in that era and so many deep balls lowered completion percentages and increased the rate of INTs along with the different defensive rules.
    Great post.

By the way, 2:15 - catch by Maynard... That was tough.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Agree - excellent post