Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the Hall of Fame - not the Hall of Stats.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    you have to take the whole time in context to your judgment of HOF. The AFL was like arena football to the NFL no joke it was that wide so when they merged the AFC was basically a laughing stock. Namath was the face of the AFL and the jets were a double digit underdog to the colts his performance and play calling yes the QBs called the plays back then made the merger legit. That alon was HOF worthy. The fact he broke 4K yards in 1967 while common place now was stood as a record for 22 years when Dan Fouts did it in 1979. Think about that 22 years is a long time for a record to stand i think 5k yrds was matched in a yr. It would be if a RB ran for 3k yrds now or QB 6k today. It was off the charts o line held corner backs held it was a different era. Also look what he did at alabama he was the a dual threat QB. He ran like a deer and had a cannon for an arm he dominated like no other. He was Cam Newton with a brain and a winner. Bear Bryant would one day call Namath "the greatest athlete I ever coached". Throw the stats away with him he was one of the players that made the nfl what it is today.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... Just Wow... For anyone to question Namath's abilities, significance to the NFL, and his status as a HOF'er. Wow! And from a Jet fan even. Please educate yourself.

51942335ZGL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think it is telling that only fans of today looking back at the cold numbers would question Namath's greatness as a player. You never hear people who saw him play or even the guys who played against him ever question his status as a HOFer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Marino and Farve played in a different era. 20 years was a big diiference in the NFL in general ie., 1969 vs 1989.

BTW After graduating HS, Joe received offer from NY Yankees among other teams. He used to dunk the ball in HS basketball when it wasn't done. The guy was a tremendous athlete. He joined the Jets and starting salary was 400K and he made time magazine front cover as the guy who was going to change the game.
    Imagine what it would be like if Namath was at Alabama with today's sports-media complex... And people think Johnny Football is big.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    That Super Bowl changed everything for the NFL. Stats don't matter.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean. But if you believe, as many do, that the SB win "caused" the AFL/NFL merger, you are mistaken. The merger was in place before SB III.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which Hall, the one for tagging ass, or the one for asking stupid fking questions that should have been dumped at inception or maybe conception?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats
    Have you ever heard of Lynn Swann?? Never had a season with more then 61 catches and never even had a 900 yd season and he's in the HOF.. How about Gale Sayers?? Just 2 seasons over 1,000 yds never had more then 236 carries in a season plus his team had only 1 winning season in his short career.. Don't judge a player that you never saw play just on stats alone it will make you think the Compiler was one the best RB's ever.. He wasn't but even he is in the HOF..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    I know that you tool but you basically answered my questions the legend if Joe Namath is what git him in HOF. He loses super bowl 3 then he doesn't even sniff the HOF
    Idiotic statement. DID HE LOSE SUPERBOWL III????????????????????
    Neil Armstrong wouldn't be famous if he wasn't the first to walk on the moon. BUT HE WAS>>>>>>>>>> my oh my the stupidity never ends.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post

Toughness
    That hit fractured his cheekbone. But he finished the game. In fact he threw 2 TD's and a 2 point conversion AFTER the hit. And played the next week in the final game of the season with the still fractured cheekbone and "bird-cage" protective facemask and threw for 343 yards and 4 TDs to set the single season record of 4007 yards in 14 games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Which Hall, the one for tagging ass, or the one for asking stupid fking questions that should have been dumped at inception or maybe conception?
    LOL

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Go to 1:07 of this clip and watch how quickly the ball leaves his hand...incredible...
    That was the opening game of the 68 season. First touchdown of that magical year, and what a great pass

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    That hit fractured his cheekbone. But he finished the game. In fact he threw 2 TD's and a 2 point conversion AFTER the hit. And played the next week in the final game of the season with the still fractured cheekbone and "bird-cage" protective facemask and threw for 343 yards and 4 TDs to set the single season record of 4007 yards in 14 games.
    I saw a special on him a few years ago. Near the end of his career he could hardly walk onto the field. His body was so busted up. Yet when he played you'd never know it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's in the Hall for what he did off the field, and what he did in one season and one game on the field, the title year, and the overall effect that he had on the league (seen as legitimizing the AFL), although it could be argued that he was more a reflection of the times.

He's not in the Hall because he was an all-time great QB long-serving on-field best ever type player. Because he simply wasn't that, despite what Jets Fans may convince themselves of. He actually has alot in common with Pennington......if only, if only, if only Joe's Knees, if only Chad's shoulder, etc.

Joe Namath is not and never was the Beatles. He is KISS. Both are in the Hall, but no one will ever compare KISS's music to the Beatles. KISS are in the hall because of great image and marketing.....same as Joe Namath.
    Last edited by Churchill; 09-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    He's in the Hall for what he did off the field, and what he did in one season and one game on the field, the title year, and the overall effect that he had on the league (seen as legitimizing the AFL), although it could be argued that he was more a reflection of the times.

He's not in the Hall because he was an all-time great QB long-serving on-field best ever type player. Because he simply wasn't that, despite what Jets Fans may convince themselves of.

Joe Namath is not and never was the Beatles. He is KISS. Both are in the Hall, but no one will ever compare KISS's music to the Beatles. KISS are in the hall because of great image and marketing.....same as Joe Namath.
    Partly true but still very wrong. KISS has many great songs as well and doesn't have to be compared to the Beatles. Do other Hall of Fame QBs HAVE to be compared to Joe Montana?? Does Marino deserve to be in the HOF for example?
    Namath is more than just image and marketing.
    Last edited by aagarcia; 09-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post

He's not in the Hall because he was an all-time great QB long-serving on-field best ever type player. Because he simply wasn't that, despite what Jets Fans may convince themselves of.

Just curious. Did you see him play in the 1960s?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I have always thought no to be honest but the football HOF is not just about stats. He changed the way the game was played. He was a more successful Mike Vick of his time only for Hippies and less or a douch. Although not much less.
    Huh?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Namath in college with good knee's..LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Have you ever heard of Lynn Swann?? Never had a season with more then 61 catches and never even had a 900 yd season and he's in the HOF.. How about Gale Sayers?? Just 2 seasons over 1,000 yds never had more then 236 carries in a season plus his team had only 1 winning season in his short career.. Don't judge a player that you never saw play just on stats alone it will make you think the Compiler was one the best RB's ever.. He wasn't but even he is in the HOF..
    LOL. The compiler (Curtis Martin) had his moments. He played with bad knees the last few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

While I get it... NO ONE Loves Namath more than me. However...I am tempted to post Sanchez college youtube highlights.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

He looked very athletic in college. Ran some wishbone