Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Namath be in the Hall of Fame?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some achievements or success define a period of time in the game and he was the leader in a time that the game changed sue to the win. Most football fans new and old know the name Joe Namath. He probably deserves to be there stats not withstanding.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this article from bleacher report a few years ago

Why "Broadway Joe" Namath Should Not Be in the Hall of Fame

NEXT ARTICLE*

Chris*YoungJul. 07, 2010

314Comments83*SharesJoe Namath*should*notbe in the*Pro Football Hall of Fame.Most Hall of Fame quarterbacks have thrown for 200-plus touchdowns.Throughout his 13-year career with theNew York Jets, Namath threw more interceptions (220)*than touchdowns (173). He averaged 17 interceptions a year and eclipsed 20 five times in his career.Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh stated that Namath was "the most beautiful, accurate, stylish passer with the quickest release I've ever seen."Let’s talk about his accuracy—Namath averaged a remarkably low completion percentage of 50.1 throughout his career.* He also completed fewer than 50 percent seven seasons throughout his career—I think that contradicts the great Bill Walsh’s statement.Obviously, after going over his touchdowns, interceptions and completion percentage, I would imagine his quarterback rating was drained into the sewers as well.Don Shula stated that Namath was "one of the three smartest quarterbacks of all time." Namath doctored up an “astonishing” 65.5 quarterback rating. *“Broadway Joe” had a hard time winning games as well. He played in 129 games and only won 62. His 48 percent career winning percentage also included only 16 fourth quarter comebacks.Namath led the league in passing yards three times (1966, 1967, and 1972) in his career, while throwing more interceptions (76) than touchdowns (64) in those seasons combined.He also only threw for a career total of 27,663 passing yards, averaging just over 2,100 yards a season and led the league in interceptions four times during his career—1966 (27), 1967 (28), 1974 (22), and 1975 (28).In the five years he made the Pro Bowl, Namath recorded a total of 98 interceptions. Come on Joe, I'm sure you could have thrown a couple more to get 100.If another football team was dumb enough to let Ryan Leaf play a full career, Joe Namath probably wouldn't be able to hold the one-time No. 1 draft pick's jock.I'm not really sure how you let someone into the Hall of Fame when he only averaged 10 games a year throughout a 13-year career. Maybe “Broadway Joe” was elected because he made the famous*guarantee win over the great Johnny Unitas. As far as I'm concerned, that is not*a reason to be in the Hall of Fame.After boldly guaranteeing a victory prior to the game,*Jets*quarterback Joe Namath completed 17 out of 28 passes for 206 yards and was named the Super Bowl's Most Valuable Player. However, he did not throw one touchdown pass, or any passes at all in the fourth quarter.*In fact, Matt Snell was the key player in the Jets' ball-control offense during the 16-7 upset of the*Colts. He carried 30 times for a then-Super Bowl record 121 yards and in the second quarter went four yards around the left end to score the Jets' only touchdown.He also helped set up a trio of Jim Turner field goals that finally put the game away for the Jets in the second half.Snell should have been the*NFL’s Super Bowl III MVP.When you look at his career stats and compare them to other Hall of Famers or future Hall of Famers, it becomes apparent that Joe Namath is the worst player in the NFL’s Hall of Fame.He should be voted out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    LOL. The compiler (Curtis Martin) had his moments. He played with bad knees the last few years.
    Here's a question for you.. We trade a 1st and 3rd pick and huge money for a RB named John Doe. In his first season he avg 3.5 ypc and in the AFCCG has 14 yds rushing. The next year in the first game he fumbles and the QB tries to recover the fumble tears his Achilles and is lost for the season..How would this board react to John Doe?? BTW the last year not the last 2 he had a bad knee and he kept running to compile as much as he could till the pain got too bad.. What came first the good of the team or the good of his stats??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Namath and Kenny O in the same breath, I am laughing

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I am old enough to have seen Namath play. It was a totally different game back then. If Joe Namath played today, with the rules of the current NFL, he would be unstoppable.

BTW, mentioning O'Brien in the same breath as Namath is laughable.
    HA HA HA HA HE HE HE HE HE HE Bawaaa
    That chit is funny! he should have been an HOF already. As am a matter of fact he is an HOF in my book.
    Goes to show you how inexperience some of our posters are. Namath would shredd todays NFL defense pieces and chunks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Numbers actually do tell the story about how the game was played differently in Namath's era, with completion percentage being 50% on the norm.

All we have to do is look at the yards per completion average of today's QBs and from Namath's time to see the difference.

Aaron Rodgers is arguably the best deep thrower in the game today, with him leading the NFL in over 20 yd completions. For his career, Rodger's yards per completion is 12.4. Big Ben is slightly better at 12.6. Brady is 11.7, Peyton 11.72, and Brees 11.4. Note how the best QBs today are in the mid 11 to mid 12 range.

In comparison, Namath's yards per completion was 14.66. His contemporaries were about the same. Daryle Lamonica was slightly better at 14.8. Don Meredith was 14.7. Unitas was 14.2. Starr 13.6. Len Dawson 13.4. Staubach 13.4. Of this era, the lowest percentage for the best QB was Fran Tarkenton at 12.7.

Think about that. The lowest deep thrower of the Namath era still had a better percentage than the best deep thrower today. A QB had to have a big arm in that era and so many deep balls lowered completion percentages and increased the rate of INTs along with the different defensive rules.
    This is exactly why you can't compare statistics from Namath's era to today and why "greygoose" is having difficulty grasping this concept, particularly because he apparently wasn't alive during that era.

I find it interesting that he has avoided responding to this post.

Also, from the Pro Football Hall of Fame website, it states:

"Statistics do not reflect leadership, play-calling, and other intangible factors that go into making a successful professional quarterback. "

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on your yards per completion theory Daryl Lamonica should be in HOF along with Craig Morton who both had better statistical careers than Broadway Joe.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    Based on your yards per completion theory Daryl Lamonica should be in HOF along with Craig Morton who both had better statistical careers than Broadway Joe.
    Anyone with the nickname "The Mad Bomber" deserves to be in the HOF in my book.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray Guy really deserves to be in the HOF

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll play how about Shaun Alexander who has 10 more rushing td's then the Compiler on 1,331 less carries plus when given one less carry then Cumar had in 2004 ran for 1,880 yds 27 tds and 5.1 ypc.. This stat game is fun..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, they should be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I agree, they should be.
    You think Craig Morton who never even made 1 pro bowl should be in the HOF?? Lamonica I could see but Morton??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    An argument could be made for both of those guys.

However, you seem to be saying that because they're not in the HOF, Namath shouldn't be either. That's not a valid reason.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    An argument could be made for both of those guys.

However, you seem to be saying that because they're not in the HOF, Namath shouldn't be either. That's not a valid reason.
    That's a valid point. I personally feel Lamonica should be in the HOF.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was never old enough to see Namath play and all I ever heard from my dad was how good he was. A few days ago I decided to look at his stats page and I have to say Im not impressed at all. 50 % career completion percentage , 50 more INT than TD and 65 career QB rating. I know it was a different era back in the 60's and 70's but to put it in perspective Ken Obrien has better career stats than Namath. Based on stats alone I have to believe Joe Namath is only in HOF based on super bowl 3. Sort of like Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF based on that 1 home run.

Namath Stats
    namath legitamized the AFL,thats the main reason why he's in the hall.Right personality, at the right time. He was a real good QB too,but that alone im not sure about.Heres something i an sure aboutny_jetsdraft_02.jpgNot in the Hall, a travesty

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a valid point. I personally feel Lamonica should be in the HOF.
    There are no Super Bowl era QB's in the HOF who threw for less than 35,000 yards and never won a Super Bowl. Lamonica threw for 19,154. And he didn't win a Super Bowl.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    There are no Super Bowl era QB's in the HOF who threw for less than 35,000 yards and never won a Super Bowl. Lamonica threw for 19,154. And he didn't win a Super Bowl.
    I know you made your first sentence a 2 part statement so that wouldn't include Bart Starr and Len Dawson since they both won Bowls..LOL But keep in mind guys like Lamonica played in 14 game seasons and had 2601 passing atempts where guys like Vinny Testaverde had 6,701 attempts..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    namath legitamized the AFL,thats the main reason why he's in the hall.Right personality, at the right time. He was a real good QB too,but that alone im not sure about.Heres something i an sure aboutny_jetsdraft_02.jpgNot in the Hall, a travesty
    While I agree with Klecko..... you can be sure, unfortunately, others aren't. HOFer Joe Dellamilleire (lives here in Charlotte, I know fairly well) said Klecko was amongst the best D men he EVER faced.

PLEASE..end this thread.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I know you made your first sentence a 2 part statement so that wouldn't include Bart Starr and Len Dawson since they both won Bowls..LOL But keep in mind guys like Lamonica played in 14 game seasons and had 2601 passing atempts where guys like Vinny Testaverde had 6,701 attempts..
    Or I could have said, no modern day QB who threw for less than 20,000 yards is in the HOF.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Ray Guy really deserves to be in the HOF
    right.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny Stabler should be in the HOF.